Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

good.  Pegs is a smart man.   he knows when he has a good think going.  

13 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

The fans need to relax. It’s been embarrassing on this board the last few months. 

Hold yourselves the way you want the Bills organization to hold themselves. 

Agreed.   Board has gone to a new low since Sunday.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This situation will work itself out some more this season still.

It's not as if it's our choice collectively as to what happens.  

McD keeps giving himself more rope to hang himself with and that's exactly what he's doing, like it or not.  

We are not doing it, he is.  

We either see and realize it, or make excuses for it, which is neither here nor there in terms of it occurring and shouldn't divide us as fans.  

Yet it does, unfortunately.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, alluro said:

As it should be. 35 consecutive regular season games of losing by one score or less. We are always in these contests. The next closest coach has like 13. 

"35 consecutive regular season games of losing by one score or less," you say? 

Your meaning there is really unclear, but whatever you're trying to say there, it doesn't apply to McDermott. McDermott's had a lot of big wins that were far more than one-score games, even just this year. And we've also won a couple of one-score games just this year, the Giants, and the Bucs.

It is true, though, that McDermott is a bit below .500 in one-score games. We ought to look around for a guy with a good record in one-score games.

Hey, Adam Gase went 27-12 in one-score games. He's obviously a fantastic coach! Let's bring him in!

I bet he's available!!!!

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Sources that cant be named, Well isn't that convenient of The Athletic, Do you guys realize how much garbage this place puts out and turns out being 100% wrong the next day? 

Are you serious?

Why would someone with Pegula's ear publicly tell anyone what he's confidentially saying? He'd get fired. Unless he spoke as a confidential source. That's how journalism works.

How much junk The Athletic puts out that turn out wrong the next day? Not much at all. No journalism is perfect, like the rest of human endeavor. But the Athletic is a good outlet.

Graham is trustworthy, has a ton of solid sources around the league, and has four sources for this story. This is trustworthy. More, it was predictable, it's how Terry works that if you do a damn good job for a long time he won't be quick to let you go. It's how good ownership should work. 

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Regardless of the report I think it's still too early to call.  There's still 5 games left and the way this season has gone I feel like there's still a possibility for the Bills to really bottom out.  If that happens how does he not at least consider pulling the trigger? 

Yes, true. And also already in the report. No plans now is what the two main sources said, and Graham himself says, "Although additional calamities may befall McDermott over the next month and a half and alter the organization's plans, four sources familiar with Terry Pegula's thinking ..."

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone following the Sabres and hearing all these people saying they need to trade or even outright cut UPL before the season started... you're all the same people blindly screaming as a mob to fire McD

Dunning Kruger & Group Think is a very dangerous combo.

None of that means I don't think McD can and needs to improve on some things...but people who are up here screaming McD had nothing to do with developing Allen, like huh?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Process said:

Injuries are not an excuse. 

We are 12 weeks into the season and our QB, RB1, WR1, WR2, WR3 and ALL FIVE of our starting o lineman have not missed a SINGLE GAME. 

Do you realize how crazy that is?

Not making the playoffs this year would be a complete failure and year 3 in a row of regression. 

To hear there is "zero" chance he gets fired, regardless of how the season ends, has to just suck the life out of you as a fan. 

💯 just look at the teams ahead of us the Browns lost Watson, Chubb and both there starting tackles in Wils and Conklin and there ahead of us the Colts lost there starting QB and Taylor and Shaq Leonard for most of the yr. The Steelers have one of the worst starting QBs in the league and there also ahead of us. McD has to go he’s the main reason this team isn’t 9-3 or 10-2. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

💯 just look at the teams ahead of us the Browns lost Watson, Chubb and both there starting tackles in Wils and Conklin and there ahead of us the Colts lost there starting QB and Taylor and Shaq Leonard for most of the yr. The Steelers have one of the worst starting QBs in the league and there also ahead of us. McD has to go he’s the main reason this team isn’t 9-3 or 10-2. 

Yeah, and the proof that McDermott is the main reason is that ... um ...it's that ... well, many people don't like him.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I have never understood the seemingly blind loyalty of so many Buffalo fans. Maybe it’s true in all cities but it’s definitely so in WNY. I have absolutely no idea what people see from McD that gives even the slightest suggestion that he’s the guy who’ll take them to a championship. Whereas I’ve seen tons of evidence that he can’t. Wining a Super Bowl isn’t supposed to be like landing on Jupiter. One team does it every single year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Everyone wants to fire McD, without any thought of replacing him.

You have the Madden types who blurt out "back up the Brinks truck for Harbaugh"  ...without any thought as to whether he's interested in leaving Michigan where he is King of his own universe, or any thought as to whether he has any interest in tax heavy and snowy WNY.

You have the Ben Johnson types...get in line with all the other teams who will fire their HC this season.

You have the Daboll types---I hope they're just saying that for laughs. That's a leap of fantasy.

You have the "because we have Allen, coach prospects will be lining up at the door" types...

Even Frank Reich's name has been bandied by those with terminal nostalgia disease.

Reality: you fire McD, it's a complete and total crapshoot as to what will replace him.

Edited by boater
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I don't pay for the Athletic and didn't see it mentioned in the first few pages of this thread.

Are the 4 "sources" saying McD has 0 chance of being fired during the season ?

Or are they saying he has 0 chance of being fired at any point this offseason ? 

There's a very big difference there.

I could tell you but then the Athletic Police would have to kill me.  Plan B…open your wallet once a month, pull out $1, and send it to the Athletic. Problem solved. 

12 minutes ago, boater said:

You have the Madden types who blurt out "back up the Brinks truck for Harbaugh"  ...without any thought as to whether he's interested in leaving Michigan where he is King of his own universe, or any thought as to whether he has any interest in tax heavy and snowy WNY.

You have the Ben Johnson types...get in line with all the other teams who will fire their HC this season.

You have the Daboll types---I hope they're just saying that for laughs. That's a leap of fantasy.

You have the "because we have Allen, coach prospects will be lining up at the door" types...

Even Frank Reich's name has been bandied by those with terminal nostalgia disease.

Reality: you fire McD, it's a complete and total crapshoot as to what will replace him.

That goes for every team in every sport. We don't know who will or won't be available as far as potential coaches go until after the season. McDermott did a good job getting the franchise turned around, but it is fair to question if he can get the Bills to a Super Bowl. So far what we have seen the answer is NO. I don't want to keep watching McDermott fail just because the Bills may or may not finding a better coach. The bar is raised for this franchise with #17. I have mentioned this in other threads but if Belichick and the Pats part ways I would love to see Bill coaching in Orchard Park. PROVEN WINNER with an elite level QB as well as a much better DC than McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, boater said:

This is what I’ve been saying, however there is a small list:

Eric Bienimy - OC Washington (former OC KC): History of good offensive production, but it was all with KC. Washington is a bottom ranked offense this season. Also has a history of players not liking him. At all. 

Ben Johnson - OC Detroit: Year 2 of being an OC, year two of being top 5 in several key categories. He’s expected to be the top HC candidate.

Kellen Moore - OC LAC: 5 years of OC experience, previous 4 with Dallas. Offense has been in the top 11 regularly, few seasons being in the top 5. 

Next Year: 
Bobby Slowik - OC Houston (Rookie OC)

Brian Johnson - OC Philly (Rookie OC)

Joe Brady - OC Buffalo 

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s not working for a 6-5 Houston Texans led by a former DC from San Fran

It’s likely Dunkirk Don

HC matchups in the SB going back the last 10 years show an overwhelming trend of offensive coaches who came up on that side. That's the better metric to illustrate where the league is going.   The only guy you could make the case who's getting to the SB these last 10 years is Belichick and even then he's the best coach in NFL history.  Even Pete Carroll hasn't won squat since 2014.    

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

My major issue with McDermott is that we keep pouring resources into the defense and it's ok at best. 

Other than that I can live with him. 

It's been said before here that the Pegula's were regretting giving McD so much authority over their franchise.  In fact, I'm not sure one guy has had that much pull at OBD ever: the HC who hired his own GM and is the major factor into personnel decisions.  Sure, there's discussion during the off-season, but it's funny that most off-seasons right out of the gate they're signing defensive UFA's and, until Kincaid, were using that first round pick on McD's side of the ball.  

11 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

He has a Tesla so who cares 

At least he doesn't have a Ford Taurus.  

And, is Terry's Tesla self-driving?  I don't think those are cleared for roads yet, but he is 72-73 now and older people don't always know to turn their turn signal off.  

Edited by BillsVet

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

HC matchups in the SB going back the last 10 years show an overwhelming trend of offensive coaches who came up on that side. That's the better metric to illustrate where the league is going.   The only guy you could make the case who's getting to the SB these last 10 years is Belichick and even that I'd say.  Even Pete Carroll hasn't won squat since 2014.   

It's been said before here that the Pegula's were regretting giving McD so much authority over their franchise.  In fact, I'm not sure one guy has had that much pull at OBD ever: the HC who hired his own GM and is the major factor into personnel decisions.  Sure, there's discussion during the off-season, but it's funny that most off-seasons right out of the gate they're signing defensive UFA's and, until Kincaid, were using that first round pick on McD's side of the ball.  

At least he doesn't have a Ford Taurus.  

And, is Terry's self-driving?  I don't think those are cleared for roads yet, but he is 72-73 now and older people don't always know to turn their turn signal off.  

Pegula is the owner. If he GAVE all the power to McDermott, then he could just as easily take it back. He doesn't have to regret anything just fix it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Pegula is the owner. If he GAVE all the power to McDermott, then he could just as easily take it back. He doesn't have to regret anything just fix it.

I actually agree with Gregggg here.  I don’t think Terry regrets giving Sean that much power because for the most the part he’s done a great job.

Look at the Bills from 2014-2017 when he first bought them.  An absolute shitshow filled with cronies from the Ralph and sheer incompetence from Doug Whaley.  

McDermott comes in with a detailed plan how to fix things and actually does it both on and off the field.  

If Terry was unsatisfied with Sean as HC, it wouldn’t be hard to part ways.  I guess you may have to worry about how the GM will work with the next HC, but that’s how it goes.   I think Terry still believes in Sean

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I actually agree with Gregggg here.  I don’t think Terry regrets giving Sean that much power because for the most the part he’s done a great job.

Look at the Bills from 2014-2017 when he first bought them.  An absolute shitshow filled with cronies from the Ralph and sheer incompetence from Doug Whaley.  

McDermott comes in with a detailed plan how to fix things and actually does it both on and off the field.  

If Terry was unsatisfied with Sean as HC, it wouldn’t be hard to part ways.  I guess you may have to worry about how the GM will work with the next HC, but that’s how it goes.   I think Terry still believes in Sean

If McDermott got fired and Beane stayed, then I don't think we would have to worry about how he would work with the next HC. Beane would be the one leading search and recommending to Terry this is the guy. The new coach's philosophy would be in line with Beane's so they would work well together.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

That goes for every team in every sport. We don't know who will or won't be available as far as potential coaches go until after the season. McDermott did a good job getting the franchise turned around, but it is fair to question if he can get the Bills to a Super Bowl. So far what we have seen the answer is NO. I don't want to keep watching McDermott fail just because the Bills may or may not finding a better coach. The bar is raised for this franchise with #17. I have mentioned this in other threads but if Belichick and the Pats part ways I would love to see Bill coaching in Orchard Park. PROVEN WINNER with an elite level QB as well as a much better DC than McDermott.

Heh. I could go for Bill, *IF* he isn't the GM.

I don't think his ego would give Brandon Beane the space to operate.

• Like (+1) 1

I continue to waffle on this point. After last game I would have fired him on the spot. I have softened on this point because I remember the past and I see what this team has become since he became coach. I believe that he sticks around and they bring in a new DC and maybe a new OC, but that is to be determined on the final five games. So far change in OC looks encouraging. 

As others have said, the Organization has to leak 0% chance because they are not eliminated.   Believe me, if/when they get eliminated, the chances of firing McDermott will be north of 0%.   This team should absolutely be a playoff club.  The AFC is not nearly as "stacked" as we thought and Joe Burrow/Cincinnati, who were a huge threat are cooked this season.  The Browns have no QB, the Steelers QB has been playing poorly, Houston has a rookie QB and have overachieved, the Colts are meh.

• Agree 1

the reason we have been so strong is of course because we have a generational talent at qb. this is what the people in charge need to realize. we need to do everything in our power to set him up for success. I just don't think McD is that guy, and I think most others are on that same page. He is a *good* coach...not great. Though he will make some other franchise very happy, he just isn't right for what we have. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I like McD a lot more than a certain faction of our “fan base”.  At least he is a grown up. 

I do as well.  I am a bit worried over how he’s called defense in the final moments of games this season.   Hoping to see the change during the final 5

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If McDermott got fired and Beane stayed, then I don't think we would have to worry about how he would work with the next HC. Beane would be the one leading search and recommending to Terry this is the guy. The new coach's philosophy would be in line with Beane's so they would work well together.

The problem is that Terry likes Sean as HC and doesn’t want to change

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is it more likely the Bills win a SB with Allen & no McD, or McD with no Allen?

Afterwards, you won’t fret about the Bills firing McDummy. 

We won’t have to fret…there’s a 0% chance of that happening 

As has been mentioned, offensive coaches are the best way to super bowl success in today's nfl. Even when Bill B. was winning in NE, even when Brady didn't have as many weapons as he deserved, it was because Bill was the BEST defensive coach in the nfl. if you are going to be a defensive head, you better the best, or near it. Not just GOOD at it. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I continue to waffle on this point. After last game I would have fired him on the spot. I have softened on this point because I remember the past and I see what this team has become since he became coach. I believe that he sticks around and they bring in a new DC and maybe a new OC, but that is to be determined on the final five games. So far change in OC looks encouraging. 

This is almost guaranteed to happen.  I think part of his plan to fix things next season will involve hiring a fresh new DC (I think it will be Bobby Babich) and retaining Brady as OC.  

He stays as HC but we get new, younger coordinators with connections to the team but different ideas than their predecessors.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Man with No Name said:

As has been mentioned, offensive coaches are the best way to super bowl success in today's nfl. Even when Bill B. was winning in NE, even when Brady didn't have as many weapons as he deserved, it was because Bill was the BEST defensive coach in the nfl. if you are going to be a defensive head, you better the best, or near it. Not just GOOD at it. 

At least be the best in the 4th quarter.  Decent to Great for 3 quarters and 32nd in the 4th can't and shouldn't be acceptable. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.