Come home Frank...Reich fired

Dablitzkrieg

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

Reich's resume is NOT better than McDermott as a head coach.  No thanks.

Bill Belichick's resume was NOT better than McDermott's before Brady.

Assuming Reich's coaching stinks because he's not winning Super Bowls with Jacoby Brissett is extremely short-sighted.

He made some really bad QB's look good. I'm not sold on him being the wrong guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him on the staff now, even though we have a lot of coaches.  I'd have him assist Brady and there if Brady flames out.  I also wouldn't mind if he's here next year in a roll, should McD get fired.  He'd be an excellent interim coach, and if the team responds make him permanent. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Bill Belichick's resume was NOT better than McDermott's before Brady.

Assuming Reich's coaching stinks because he's not winning Super Bowls with Jacoby Brissett is extremely short-sighted.

He made some really bad QB's look good. I'm not sold on him being the wrong guy.

If a team with one win fires their head coach quicker than any other nfl head has been fired in the last 50 years, I don’t want them being our head coach, we can do better.

17 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Cant fire the owner. That guy is a clown that forced bryce young on Reich.  I say fire McDermott and bring Reich home!  Terry wants to make a splash and allow him to do a slight rebuild without catching hell AND Sell PSL's and season tickets to the new stadium?  That is how you do it./

If we replace McDermott it shouldn't be for a coach like Reich.

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

If we replace McDermott it shouldn't be for a coach like Reich.

I know what I posted earlier, and I agree now after reading some good responses and talking with a brother of mine. 

We need to find our guy who is a little younger and ready for his shot. But I'm sticking with needing an offensive mind. Josh is at, or close to, the midpoint of his career,and we have to help him NOW.

11 hours ago, Nitro said:

They did him a favor.  Young is a bust.  

Said before the draft I wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole. The puffed him up to 205 lbs for the combine.   He's just too small both in height and frame in my humble opinion.   Multiple no.1s wasted on that, gonna be ugly for a while Panther fans.

Edited by billsfan714
typo
  • Like (+1) 2

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lou-holtz-names-catalyst-behind-panthers-decision-fire-frank-reich

Legendary college football coach Lou Holtz, who coached the New York Jets in 1976, appeared on OutKick’s "Don’t @ Me with Dan Dakich" to dissect the Panthers’ move. He pointed to the decision to select Bryce Young over C.J. Stroud as one of the main catalysts

Stroud has the Houston Texans on the brink of playoff contention and is getting MVP consideration. He was the No. 2 overall pick of the draft. 

Panthers team owner David Tepper reportedly urged the team to pick Young over Stroud.

Now, Carolina finds itself at a crossroads moving forward. The team traded its No. 1 pick of next year’s draft to the Chicago Bears and is in need of somehow getting help for Young and the offense.   oops

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Weren't Tua & Hurts both at Alabama at one point? Seems they turned out alright. 

And yes, I know Hurts transfered to Oklahoma 😅

Exactly on Hurts, he did his work at OU.  

As to Tua, would you want to rely on Tua for the next bunch of years?  He hasn't even finished a full season yet.  

Everyone's different, that's simply my take, if I were a GM.   Bama used to produce excellent DL-men for example though.  

Some schools simply consistently produce at certain positions.  I've lost track since I don't do much draft analysis anymore.  :)  

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

Up until this year, you would have said the same thing about Ohio State

Again, touche!  

:)

Given the choice however, i.e., if someone had told me one or the other with the 1st pick, I'd have gone Stroud w/o even thinking about it.  

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Exactly on Hurts, he did his work at OU.  

As to Tua, would you want to rely on Tua for the next bunch of years?  He hasn't even finished a full season yet.  

Everyone's different, that's simply my take, if I were a GM.   Bama used to produce excellent DL-men for example though.  

Some schools simply consistently produce at certain positions.  I've lost track since I don't do much draft analysis anymore.  :)  

Fair enough, and I agree that some schools just don't produce good prospects at certain positions. 

I went to Texas Tech, and until Mahomes, we were known for "system QBs" that only could play in air raid offenses, then flame out in the NFL 😆

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Dan Snyder 

Palace coup.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, stuvian said:

Tepper is just another rich idiot who thinks he knows everything. The die was cast when they over ruled Reich to take Young over Stroud. Reich should probably have quit right there. Young over Stroud is this generation's Manning - Leaf. Tepper will never field a winning team.

Tepper is what you get if one of us ends up owning a team. Scary, I know.

42 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Fair enough, and I agree that some schools just don't produce good prospects at certain positions. 

I went to Texas Tech, and until Mahomes, we were known for "system QBs" that only could play in air raid offenses, then flame out in the NFL 😆

That's why it was ridiculous for the Bills to draft a QB from Wyoming 7th overall, right?

Edited by BarleyNY

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That's why it was ridiculous for the Bills to draft a QB from Wyoming 7th overall, right?

Beats me, I'm a homer, so I desperately wanted Mahomes the previous year. But whether it was Mahomes in 2017 or Josh the next year, I had zero faith in the Bills to develop a QB properly. 

I had no idea either would turn out so good. I was basically the only Bills fan in Lubbock, so I selfishly wanted to see the whole city jump on the Bills bandwagon. 

Albert Breer wrote a really interesting article on Tepper and why he fires coaches left and right: https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/11/28/carolina-panthers-david-tepper-frank-reich-fired-philosophy

The upshot is that he thinks like a hedge fund manager and "doesn't let one mistake become two." He's got his hand in all aspects of the team, but he doesn't know football and tries to apply what he knows from finance (a results business) to sports (a process business). Football is ultimately a results business but sometimes a rebuilding team needs to let a process play out but he wants to get results right away. He cuts his losses really quickly, but that has resulted in over 20% of the games that the Panthers have played since he bought the team being coached by an interim. He has a roster full of players that were drafted for other systems.  Apparently what drove him nuts this time was some in-game decision-making regarding attempting long FGs and questionable time-outs.  It's like how a TBDer would fire coaches if they were given the power. I know that Pegula can be a bit too patient with McDermott, but the other extreme is even worse. 

On 11/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, nucci said:

that was the owner. Reich and GM wanted Stroud

If that was the owners pick he needs to be made to sell the team !!! Those choices should be left up to those that are football people not owners .

Typical Jerry Jones type move ...

43 minutes ago, T master said:

If that was the owners pick he needs to be made to sell the team !!! Those choices should be left up to those that are football people not owners .

Typical Jerry Jones type move ...

Browns owner picked Manziel. Jones picks pretty good players

Holy moly, talk about disfunction…

Reich never stood a chance win Tepper meddling.

https://theathletic.com/5105215/2023/12/06/carolina-panthers-frank-reich-firing-david-tepper/

Team sources described a “Hunger Games” culture at Bank of America Stadium. Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.

“People just finger-pointing hoping they don’t get exposed,” said one assistant.

Days before Thanksgiving, with the team spiraling and Young getting pummeled, Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.

Tepper has been criticized for micromanaging and getting hands-on with football decisions. Prior to the 2019 season, he persuaded then-head coach Ron Rivera to switch to a 3-4 defense — which Tepper was familiar with as a former Pittsburgh Steelers minority partner — and drove the team’s interest in Deshaun Watson before the quarterback was traded to Cleveland in 2022.

Tepper also encouraged Reich to go outside of his “circle” with some of the hires. As such, many of the offensive coaches had never worked together and brought different philosophies to an offense that would be led by a rookie quarterback from Week 1. Besides the disagreements in scheme, there were personality conflicts and factions formed on a staff that included two main holdovers from Rhule’s staff — offensive line coach James Campen and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor, both of whom were retained at Tepper’s urging.

The Panthers’ defensive assistants, nearly all of whom had worked with Evero (Panthers DC) previously, have been more aligned, according to sources.

But that has not been the case on the offensive side... (more in link)

There also have been issues with scheme fits.

Brown’s background is with the Rams’ mid-zone and wide-zone runs, which weren’t a great match for some of the Panthers’ offensive linemen.

There’s a lot more details in the story.

Any coach with options would be nuts to take the head coaching job in Carolina. I don’t see anyone having success there with Tepper meddling so much.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.