Chance of Playoffs now, according to NYT simulator

Ray Stonada

2 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Hard to process after Cinncy’s win last night the Bills are currently in 11th place in the AFC. To state this week is a must win is an understatement. The reality is they are going to have to win out which based upon the season thus far, it’s more unlikely than likely.  11th freaking place for a team that should be dominating but yet our HC is coaching like he’s in his first year. 

I thought Cincinnati winning (now 11th) bumped Buffalo to 12th place? Not that it matters..  12 out of 16 is horrific for this club.  I don't know how McD, Beane and Pegula can sleep at night.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I thought Cincinnati winning (now 11th) bumped Buffalo to 12th place? Not that it matters..  12 out of 16 is horrific for this club.  I don't know how McD, Beane and Pegula can sleep at night.

We were 10th before Cinncys win last night.  Only teams lower are NE, NYJ, Raiders, Chargers and Titans! 

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

We were 10th before Cinncys win last night.  Only teams lower are NE, NYJ, Raiders, Chargers and Titans! 

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Ugh.  The Bills and Chargers are massive underachievers.  But at least the LAC were able to win @NE and @NYJ    

4 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

no.  U R correct, left that game undecided.  will retry.

yes, 53%.  but hardly "season is over" w loss to KC....how many years would ee be smiling with these odds in the 70's or 80's, Even a good portion of the 2000's?

Except this ISNT the 70’s, 80’s or 2000’s. This team should be a lock for the playoffs which is the minimum bar for the season. The HC has literally blown another season with rookie level head coaching and a D that can’t protect a lead in the 4th qtr after the offense has put them in a position to win.  (NYJ, NE, DEN, PHILLY) At minimum if the D did their job which is led by the HC, they wouldn’t be in this position. 

The amount of blown leads under McDermott’s tenure is beyond ridiculous but unfortunately all too often the norm. 

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Sad thing is that even if we pull it off and win out this season, we still only have a 47% chance of making the playoffs. That Philly loss was a killer.

There's no way this is correct.

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Sad thing is that even if we pull it off and win out this season, we still only have a 47% chance of making the playoffs. That Philly loss was a killer.

We win out and playoff odds are at 99%, we win all games except Dallas we are 65% to make, we win all games except KC around 55% to make it.

5 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

as of today, 73-79% odds of making with 4/5 run.  better odds include a  win against KC..  73% w loss to KC but win all other games.

There is no chance our odds of getting in is 73% if we lose one.  I don't care for odds anyways.  Better off manually selecting games with the playoff machine and you will see for yourself how bad it is if we lose a game.  Even if that game is Dallas.  Denver losing is our best case in the scenario that we lose 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

There is no chance our odds of getting in is 73% if we lose one.  I don't care for odds anyways.  Better off manually selecting games with the playoff machine and you will see for yourself how bad it is if we lose a game.  Even if that game is Dallas.  Denver losing is our best case in the scenario that we lose 1.

The teams in front of us are likely playing each other in several matchups

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The teams in front of us are likely playing each other in several matchups

Yes and everytime one loses the other gets the spot. Go play with it.  Other than us retaking Denver, I have to make stupid losses like a team losing to Titans, Bears, or Jets.  Even then Bills don't make it and I have the Bills losing to Dallas, not KC.  They are already in too good a position for them to just knock each other out. Maybe 1 or 2 get knocked out that way but there are 6 teams in a better position than we are.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No way lol. All these other teams are so banged up they might not win another game. Bills actually arnt in that bad a spot after all the game and injury help they've received here lately.

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes and everytime one loses the other gets the spot. Go play with it.  Other than us retaking Denver, I have to make stupid losses like a team losing to Titans, Bears, or Jets.  Even then Bills don't make it and I have the Bills losing to Dallas, not KC.  They are already in too good a position for them to just knock each other out. Maybe 1 or 2 get knocked out that way but there are 6 teams in a better position than we are.

Will likely depend on the Bills being involved in multi-team ties that end up knocking out teams that the Bills would lose tiebreakers to first that they haven't played...perhaps if the Bills win the remaining AFC games they could at least tie some teams on AFC record tiebreakers. Hard to say since there are a lot of situations.

Just win out. I understand there are totally reasonable scenarios where we still miss the playoffs even if we win out. But I'll take my chances there given all the backup QB's in the AFC. There are going to be some head scratching results the rest of the way in the AFC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Denver loss was the killer. Missed kick. Game over. Conference foe defeated. Wait...... You had 12 men on the field. 

• Agree 1

If we win out, we're making the playoffs.  I don't know how they're deriving that 47%. 

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Will likely depend on the Bills being involved in multi-team ties that end up knocking out teams that the Bills would lose tiebreakers to first that they haven't played...perhaps if the Bills win the remaining AFC games they could at least tie some teams on AFC record tiebreakers. Hard to say since there are a lot of situations.

Thats why I said you should go play with the playoff machine and you can see for yourself.

That is totally incorrect.  NYT playoff machine gives Bills over a 99% chance of making playoffs if they win last 5.  57% if they go 4-1 with loss to Dallas. 

Edited by Casey D
  • Like (+1) 1

Win the game against the Chiefs and let things with the other teams play out.

Way too many scenarios to look at with 5 games left.

Heck, if Trevor's high ankle sprain is bad the Colts could win the division and the Jags miss the playoffs.

Bills just need to win.

Remember, head-to-head for a wildcard may include more that 2 teams.  Most times they don't all play each other so it doesn't count.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The Denver loss was the killer. Missed kick. Game over. Conference foe defeated. Wait...... You had 12 men on the field. 

that was the nail in the coffin for many of our hopes but the reality is we still have a chance.

with burrough injured and cinci now playing well with whoever their backup is - i think there is a decent chance they still produce on the field.

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

That is totally incorrect.  NYT playoff machine gives Bills over a 99% chance of making playoffs if they win last 5.  57% if they go 4-1 with loss to Dallas. 

Correct. I think I had a stray leftover "loss" in there. So here's how it stands. With everything else remaining as projected (in other words, games involving other teams give us predicted results):

- beat KC, chances improve to 24%

- beat Dallas too, 41%

- beat LAC too, 61%

- beat Pats and Phins, 99% 

Lose even one game, the best we can do is 59% (losing to the Cowboys, since they're a non-conference opponent).

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Heck, if Trevor's high ankle sprain is bad the Colts could win the division and the Jags miss the playoffs.

Unfortunately they have Browns, Ravens in the next two (could definitely lose), then Bucs (maybe) and Titans/Panthers (no way). So even without Trevor I don't see them giving us a lot of help.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Correct. I think I had a stray leftover "loss" in there. So here's how it stands. With everything else remaining as projected (in other words, games involving other teams give us predicted results):

- beat KC, chances improve to 24%

- beat Dallas too, 41%

- beat LAC too, 61%

- beat Pats and Phins, 99% 

Lose even one game, the best we can do is 59% (losing to the Cowboys, since they're a non-conference opponent).

Unfortunately they have Browns, Ravens in the next two (could definitely lose), then Bucs (maybe) and Titans/Panthers (no way). So even without Trevor I don't see them giving us a lot of help.

Titans and Panthers are playing rookie QBs on young teams.  Valuable reps there and they aren't going to lie down. Their defenses can't get takeaways, but backup QBs hold the ball more often.   I wouldn't put money on it, but i wouldn't be surprised if they lose either of those games without lawrence.  The Jaguars would just have a huge question mark without him.

• Like (+1) 1

I have run the numbers with the Playoff Eliminator, which I prefer... it turns out that the Bills have a better chance to make the playoffs than I thought even if we lose to the Chiefs or the Cowboys. The one team that screws us is Denver- if they manage to sweep the Chargers then that is a bad sign for us. 

Likely first games are wild card games at KC, then at Miami, then at Baltimore in that order,

I'm at the point to where I don't care either way because McD will find some way to hose us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All anyone needs to focus on is beat the Chiefs.  We can't take another AFC loss, we are already in very bad shape as it is with tie breakers, so we can't both take another loss and have it be an AFC team.   That being said, I am confident we will beat the Chiefs, they will not be able to keep up with us scoring wise.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All anyone needs to focus on is beat the Chiefs.  We can't take another AFC loss, we are already in very bad shape as it is with tie breakers, so we can't both take another loss and have it be an AFC team.   That being said, I am confident we will beat the Chiefs, they will not be able to keep up with us scoring wise.  

That sounds great on paper, but the Chiefs' D at home has been sick.  

They're ranked 2nd behind Baltimore and SF whose Ds are excellent, and just ahead of Dallas.  

Their D has allowed only 14 PPG at home, 19.5 on the road.  

Bet the Under.  

My key to the game is stopping Pacheco.  If we can do that IMO we win, by how much who knows, but if Pacheco has another big day like he just did or like he had vs. the Jets earlier in the season, could be trouble.  

Eagles' RBs logged 120 yards on 18 carries against us, 6.7 YPC, and Hurts added another 65.  

Pacheco also did a number on the Jets D in NY.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That sounds great on paper, but the Chiefs' D at home has been sick.  

They're ranked 2nd behind Baltimore and SF whose Ds are excellent, and just ahead of Dallas.  

Their D has allowed only 14 PPG at home, 19.5 on the road.  

Bet the Under.  

My key to the game is stopping Pacheco.  If we can do that IMO we win, by how much who knows, but if Pacheco has another big day like he just did or like he had vs. the Jets earlier in the season, could be trouble.  

Eagles' RBs logged 120 yards on 18 carries against us, 6.7 YPC, and Hurts added another 65.  

Pacheco also did a number on the Jets D in NY.  

Jets run D has not been great this year, and I am not too worried about Pacheco.  Bills will put up 28+ and that will be more than KC puts up on us.  KC is also banged coming out of the GB game too.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Jets run D has not been great this year, and I am not too worried about Pacheco.  Bills will put up 28+ and that will be more than KC puts up on us.  

Well, that's my point, ours ain't either.  

Eagles rank 4th in Rushing YPG allowed, Jets 28th, but keep in mind that (without looking) it's quite possible that many of those rushing yards are at the ends of games against a worn out Jets D and simply consuming time in already won games by their opponents.  I don't know, but it's a good speculation.  

We rank 20th in YPG.  

This next stat is what makes me say that.  

The more important one is YPC allowed, where the Jets rank 11th, the Eagles 19th, and us at 29th with YPC allowed of 4.1, 4.2, and 4.7 respectively.  

We'll see how it shakes out.  

Otherwise, you're saying that we're going to hang at least another TD on them more than any other team, including three teams ranked 2nd, 4th, and 6th in scoring did?  ... and at least twice their average allowed at home.  

I hope so, but that seems really optimistic.  

Edited by PBF81

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, that's my point, ours ain't either.  

Eagles rank 4th in Rushing YPG allowed, Jets 28th, but keep in mind that (without looking) it's quite possible that many of those rushing yards are at the ends of games against a worn out Jets D and simply consuming time in already won games by their opponents.  I don't know, but it's a good speculation.  

We rank 20th in YPG.  

This next stat is what makes me say that.  

The more important one is YPC allowed, where the Jets rank 11th, the Eagles 19th, and us at 29th with YPC allowed of 4.1, 4.2, and 4.7 respectively.  

We'll see how it shakes out.  

I get what you are saying, but I just don't think the Chiefs can offensively keep up with the Bills right now leaning on Pacheco.  It won't be a gimme game by any means, and Chiefs D has saved their season no doubt, but the way our offense is playing, coming off a bye with more time to give Brady to install more tweaks and wrinkles, I just think it will be a game where Chiefs won't keep up.  Chiefs D is banged up and Bills know this is a must win game, this is essentially as close to a playoff game as it gets in the regular season for the Bills too.  

And remember, when Pacheco helped against the Jets the Chiefs were facing Zack Wilson on the other side of the ball, not Josh Allen.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying, but I just don't think the Chiefs can offensively keep up with the Bills right now leaning on Pacheco.  It won't be a gimme game by any means, and Chiefs D has saved their season no doubt, but the way our offense is playing, coming off a bye with more time to give Brady to install more tweaks and wrinkles, I just think it will be a game where Chiefs won't keep up.  Chiefs D is banged up and Bills know this is a must win game, this is essentially as close to a playoff game as it gets in the regular season for the Bills too.  

And remember, when Pacheco helped against the Jets the Chiefs were facing Zack Wilson on the other side of the ball, not Josh Allen.

IDK, our D has played pretty pathetically against some pretty awful offenses.  

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

IDK, our D has played pretty pathetically against some pretty awful offenses.  

People say that, but honestly, our defense has played well enough for this team to be at least 10-2 if not 11-1 right now had the offense not crapped the bed week 1 and for 6 straight weeks under Dorsey.  

Had our offense played like it has under the first 2 weeks of Brady, we would actually be 11-1 right now with the only loss being Philly since we did lose that one with our offense playing well.  

D has its issues, but our record is a reflection of our offense.  Our low scoring offense 20.5 ppg for 6 weeks against bad competition put our defense in positions at ends of games that they shouldn't have been in had we just scored points like this team should have been scoring.  Those 1 score losses should have been multiple score leads by end of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People say that, but honestly, our defense has played well enough for this team to be at least 10-2 if not 11-1 right now had the offense not crapped the bed week 1 and for 6 straight weeks under Dorsey.  

Had our offense played like it has under the first 2 weeks of Brady, we would actually be 11-1 right now with the only loss being Philly since we did lose that one with our offense playing well.  

D has its issues, but our record is a reflection of our offense.  Our low scoring offense 20.5 ppg for 6 weeks against bad competition put our defense in positions at ends of games that they shouldn't have been in had we just scored points like this team should have been scoring.  Those 1 score losses should have been multiple score leads by end of the game.  

We'll see come Sunday, but our D has certainly had its hiccups too.  

4 hours ago, Success said:

If we win out, we're making the playoffs.  I don't know how they're deriving that 47%. 

If we win out, we have a 98% chance of getting in with NYT simulator.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/upshot/buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-picture.html#kc-buf-14=loss&buf-dal-15=win&lac-buf-16=loss&buf-ne-17=win&mia-buf-18=loss

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, Ray Stonada said:

What are our odds now at 11-6 or 10-7?

On 12/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, ColoradoBills said:

Remember, head-to-head for a wildcard may include more that 2 teams.  Most times they don't all play each other so it doesn't count.

Yep.

that’s exactly how the drought was broken. We lost the head to head to the Chargers that year but it was a 3+ team tie breaker scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.