Game Ball: Shawn Hochuli

BringBackFergy

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it was legitimately one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen. Not just a bad call or two but systematically awful the whole way.

he was trying hard to smooth it out without looking dumb himself but there were just so many blatant bad calls that it was a struggle

Even Gene Sterratore was openly wondering what the hell was going on...the missed horsecollar put him over the edge

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bills lost the game... Literally lost the game straight up because nobody knows what a catch is.

That ain't on the Bills.

I used to think like that, but it's getting absurd. I'm not making excuses for this league and it's refs when the smaller leagues with significantly less money can do it right.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I used to think like that, but it's getting absurd. I'm not making excuses for this league and it's refs when the smaller leagues with significantly less money can do it right.

Yeah. Just want to see fairness. 

I hope in someway it effects economics.  God bless JA17 for making us relevant and exposing this crap.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Zag20 said:

What are the odds that a former referee’s little boy is one of the most qualified people in the world to also be an NFL referee, and to get promoted to that role right after daddy’s retirement.

Probably because he's been doing it for a long time and worked his way up after all this is his 10th season in the NFL 

I personally enjoyed the face mask on the Bills punt return called during the commercial break, that was funny.

But just on it's own, it would not be as indicative of how "flags for thee but none for me" slanted it was without the flagrant block in the back by the Eagles springing their return guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Probably because he's been doing it for a long time and worked his way up after all this is his 10th season in the NFL 

“He entered the league in the 2014 NFL season and was promoted for 2018 from back judge to referee, following the retirement of his father, longtime referee Ed Hochuli” 

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Pathetic display of officiating. Nothing to do with being a Bills fan either.

Honestly, yes there were MANY calls that went against the Bills but there were a lot of key plays in the game and Philly just found a way to make enough of them to win the game.

I had Dolphins fans texting me asking why the league wants Buffalo to lose.  That says all you need to hear.  It’s not just Bills fans.. the football world knows we got screwed on multiple calls and should have won that game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My favorite was the most textbook blatant block in the back I've ever seen on a punt return 10 feet in front of the ref that went uncalled.

Even blatant special teams penalties (which they called at least 2 on the Bills) weren't getting called on the Eagles! It kept the game close when I feel like we really could have pulled away.

I think the second false start on Kelce was BS, and the roughing the passer in OT was an Allen flop. But if the officiating was even from the start I don't think it would have gotten to that anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

I was shocked the refs actually called the roughing the passer penalty in OT.  Since there was some acting by Josh, I wouldn’t have been surprised for there to be no roughing but Josh called for unsportsmanlike conduct for the acting.

it honestly seemed like the refs were on the take or were afraid to call penalties against the home team in Philly.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

Sure is and I agree they were bad but they ain’t the reason we lost.  McDermott shouldn’t be given a pass for it.  He shoulda been tearing into the refs on multiple calls, but just like his defense he has not balls and took it on the chin.  His qb gets ragdolled on a horse collar and he just stands there with his thumb up his ass. 

Totally agree.  Officiating was a disaster in the first half.  I think it officially was 12-1 at one point.  Also agree that McClappy should have lost his sh$t on that crew.  There’s a time and place for getting worked up and he blew it.  Who cares if he gets fined.  I’m sure Bills Mafia would cover him.  And it might actually affect a few close calls coming back our way.  

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it was legitimately one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen. Not just a bad call or two but systematically awful the whole way.

he was trying hard to smooth it out without looking dumb himself but there were just so many blatant bad calls that it was a struggle

He couldn't cover up all the damage he did in the 1st half.  The NFL has it's objectives, we're just not part of it.

• Agree 1

A different referee grew and we win 99/100 times.

That may have been the worst officiated game I can remember.  

It should be unacceptable….. but it’s accepted.  

enjoy the next two weeks ladies and gents.  

You just can’t make this stuff up.  It’s truly unbelievable how 3 units worked together to change the outcome of this game.  

The officials robbed us.  The Bills players robbed us.  The Bills coaching staff robbed us.  

We deserve better.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, henry jones said:

Totally agree.  Officiating was a disaster in the first half.  I think it officially was 12-1 at one point.  Also agree that McClappy should have lost his sh$t on that crew.  There’s a time and place for getting worked up and he blew it.  Who cares if he gets fined.  I’m sure Bills Mafia would cover him.  And it might actually affect a few close calls coming back our way.  

The way McD reacted made me sick to my stomach.  He wasn't willing to fight for his players with a head ref who clearly had an agenda. Like I said in the game thread, that was the worst officiated Bills game I've ever seen in my lifetime. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, henry jones said:

Exactly.  From what we could see from the broadcast, he was calmer than I expected.  Yes, he should’ve complained enough to get a penalty and fine.   In my opinion, there were too many key plays in this game to blame it on one call, but that was blatant.  Should Josh have tried to throw that ball? Of course not, but common sense is not being used on there grounding calls this season.  On that play, Josh was in the grasp and being spun around.  Of course the ball isn’t going to go where intended.  

QB throws deep, receiver stops and that’s grounding?  Ridiculous!  I hope the Competition Committee addresses this in the off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the two or three times I saw them tackling our Wide receivers with a ref right there was just as bad if not worse and that was just with me watching on TV. I have to wonder how many times it happened and I didnt see the ref standing idly by

Edited by steven50

The NFL is using officiating to nudge games in the direction they want.  It's been like that for years (for example, the Tampa game against Brady).  The difference is, the NFL realized/decided not to even bother trying to cover it up this season.  They're being outright blunt and obvious, and daring there to be consequences.  What are we going to do?  Not watch?  You might lose a few people here or there, but not in enough numbers to matter.  It's not just one bad game, or one team getting screwed, it's all over.  We were on the receiving end of it with our win over the Giants despite an obvious penalty in the end-zone.

The league isn't anti-Bills.  We're just not part of their script this season.  It's nothing personal, just business.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I give the game ball the Josh Allen’s TERRIBLE interception and Bass’s 2 missed field goals.

Maybe 1 since the other was blocked.

Would that make you cry less?

The Eagles made enough TERRIBLE plays to lose the game. When the commentators and guest officiating expert point out how bad it is during the broadcast, you really can't keep burying your head in the sand. The NFL has a problem. It's apparent in so many games every week. The refs need to change their approach to the game and the league needs to be more transparent with their process. If the USFL/XFL can do it, then the NFL should be able to do it. As a consumer, we should demand it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Exactly.  From what we could see from the broadcast, he was calmer than I expected.  Yes, he should’ve complained enough to get a penalty and fine.   In my opinion, there were too many key plays in this game to blame it on one call, but that was blatant.  Should Josh have tried to throw that ball? Of course not, but common sense is not being used on there grounding calls this season.  On that play, Josh was in the grasp and being spun around.  Of course the ball isn’t going to go where intended.  

It could have been:

1) Down by contact which helps the Eagles. But the replay where the ball was away before Josh being down by contact put the kibosh on that. Which left:

2) Fumble by Josh, recovered by Davis who was the receiver in the area. Plausible, but helps the Bills.

3) Incomplete by Josh, picked up by Davis who was the receiver in the area. Probably correct, but also helps the Bills.

4) Intentional grounding, despite being picked up by Davis who was a receiver in the area, and the throw being affected by being horsecollared to the ground. Laughable and totally wrong, but helps the Eagles.

So I wasn't remotely surprised by #4, because you can't be a league that's above suspicion with betting app ads all over your stadiums and broadcasts.

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m not even being a homer. There have been games where calls are bad and may have changed a game here or there. The first half was so blatantly bad I had to say something. The refs controlled the game (in Philly’s favor). There were at least 3-10 pts left on the field at the end of regulation. Intentional grounding was just salt in the wound. 

Same. I barely blame refs but that 1st half was brutal, unacceptable and a disgrace to officials across the league. I just couldn't help but think they were clearly favoring Philly and we still went up 10. 

That horse collar resulted in a missed fg , likely would have been a TD. 

Buf should've definitely won in regulation and in OT, Davis was wide open ugh. The O is back though. 

This will only make the SB documentary that much better

Get to the bye and go on a run they're fully capable of doing 

Just now, JerseyBills said:

Same. I barely blame refs but that 1st half was brutal, unacceptable and a disgrace to officials across the league. I just couldn't help but think they were clearly favoring Philly and we still went up 10. 

That horse collar resulted in a missed fg , likely would have been a TD. 

Buf should've definitely won in regulation and in OT, Davis was wide open ugh. The O is back though. 

This will only make the SB documentary that much better

Get to the bye and go on a run they're fully capable of doing 

They are at the bye, unless McD wants to cancel it and turn it into a push up contest. I hear he is great at meaningless victories. Bring back tug of war too!

10 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Dude literally had a front row seat on that horse collar tackle and still didn’t throw the flag.  But hey, let’s give them an intentional grounding penalty. 

It's silly when they don't call it and he literally rips the jersey on the front (which I believe front is still a horsecollar) and pulls the back and swings him around.  I thought we were protecting the QB?  Intentional grounding, the timeout penalty and the Slay grab.  Even the final play of the game both Guards moved early.  Honestly I think the Kelce false starts were a couple makeup calls to make it look less lopsided.   If Hochuli gets a playoff game after this debacle I will know the NFL is not on the up and up.

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

It's silly when they don't call it and he literally rips the jersey on the front (which I believe front is still a horsecollar) and pulls the back and swings him around.  I thought we were protecting the QB?  Intentional grounding, the timeout penalty and the Slay grab.  Even the final play of the game both Guards moved early.  Honestly I think the Kelce false starts were a couple makeup calls to make it look less lopsided.   If Hochuli gets a playoff game after this debacle I will know the NFL is not on the up and up.

I still don't understand the grounding call either... it seemed to land really close to gabe davis.  

26 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I still don't understand the grounding call either... it seemed to land really close to gabe davis.  

yea he was right there and romo repeatedly mentioned it and they never showed the replay that had davis like 5 feet from Allen.

everything about that call and that sequence stinks.  

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

yea he was right there and romo repeatedly mentioned it and they never showed the replay that had davis like 5 feet from Allen.

everything about that call and that sequence stinks.  

Game changing error.  We ended up getting a stop and the 7 before half but it doesn't excuse absolutely terrible officiating.  The hold on the eagles first TD drive was probably the one that changed the game the most.  There was also a clear PI on the pass to sherfield that wasn't called on a drive we punted.  These are game swaying mistakes.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That game, especially the first half was worthy of a league suspension.  McD doesn't have the stones to complain to NY.  Worst officiated Bills game I've ever watched.   

He didn’t even complain about the horse collar. McD is in over his head and we are going nowhere with him as HC. Every week he talks “complimentary football “ How about coaching your defense to cover receivers and be disciplined. Until he is fired, fans should boycott gear, and do anything to send a message.

16 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Dude literally had a front row seat on that horse collar tackle and still didn’t throw the flag.  But hey, let’s give them an intentional grounding penalty. 

Not only was it a horse collar but every time I’ve seen a QB slung to the ground it is an unnecessary roughness penalty. It’s gotten to the point that you don’t even want to watch NFL games anymore. I would not be surprised that this is the thinking in many cities and hopefully the ratings begin dropping due to the atrocious officiating.

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Even Gene Sterratore was openly wondering what the hell was going on...the missed horsecollar put him over the edge

Shawn Hochuli's explanation of why the horse collar wasn't called: Note: I'm only a messenger. I don't endorse the view expressed.

"We felt that the force from the front of the collar and what pulled him down was not from the back," referee Shawn Hochuli told a pool reporter after the game. "So, that’s pretty much it. We felt he was pulled down from the front of the jersey and collar."

18 hours ago, Murdox said:

They missed several blatant PI penalties on Slay.  Guess Slay is privileged and they won't call him for fouls.

Josh passed the ball 51 times and there wasn't so much as an illegal contact. 

Eagles secondary must truly be a revelation. I expect them to sweep the all-pro nominations for the backfield 👍

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.