The Steelers are going to be the #1 seed

Miyagi-Do Karate

10 hours ago, beebe said:

Sounds like you'll be making a lot of money. And by definition, a division game is NOT a coin flip when the spread is -7 or higher. 

If I am getting 7 or more against the Ravens I am taking the Steelers all day. They may lose but only by 3-4 points IMO

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I really can’t believe this, but the Steelers will probably end up as the 1-seed with home field advantage, and yet  there are probably at least 20 better teams in the NFL.

check out the remainder of their schedule:

@ CLE (Dorian Thompson-Robinson)
@ CIN (Jake Browning)
vs AZ (Kyler Murray)
vs NE (Mac Jones/Bailey Zappe?)
@ IND (Gardner Minshew)
vs CIN (Jake Browning)
@ SEA (Geno Smith)
@ BAL (Lamar Jackson)

https://x.com/steelersnetwork/status/1725601870121672977?s=46&t=uEztWLHQe9squs0mVCzJCQ

vs PIT ( Kenny Pickett)

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

4?  No way 

At least 4.

They have a good defense. Their offense is terrible. The way they have been winning is not sustainable and they will not likely keep it up.

Think of them as the Giants from last year. Yes, you are what your record says but watching that team they don't have the talent, especially on offense to keep going without a TON of luck.

This same thing happened in 2020.  Pittsburgh didn’t pass the eye test, yet they were 11-0 to start the season.  They lost 4 of 5 down the stretch before losing in the first round of the playoffs.  Nothing suggests that this season will be any different.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This possibility just goes to show how incredibly influential schedule and luck are.

For the Bills, this season has been a remarkable combination of injuries, bad luck, a brutal schedule, and legendary mistakes.

Brutal schedule???? They’ve lost to Zack Wilson, the corpse of Russ Wilson (at home) and Mac Jones, and they tried their damndest to lose to Tyrod Taylor.  The Bills have had an EASY schedule this year, up to this point. They’ve played three good teams.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Brutal schedule???? They’ve lost to Zack Wilson, the corpse of Russ Wilson (at home) and Mac Jones, and they tried their damndest to lose to Tyrod Taylor.  The Bills have had an EASY schedule this year, up to this point. They’ve played three good teams.

I didn't say anything about up to this point. The schedule in totality is one of the hardest in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I didn't say anything about up to this point. The schedule in totality is one of the hardest in the NFL.

It’s not.  We play another backup this week and then three tough games. That’s it.  The schedule has nothing to do with us being 5-5. If we actually had a tough schedule we’d be 3-7.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yep.  If we weren’t playing like crap, we’d be 7-3 or 8-2 right now, and probably

not even having these conversations.  We’d be talking about our chance at the 1 seed.

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You can see how all the evidence you're presenting actually suggests Pittsburgh will regress to the mean, right? That they've been incredibly fortunate so far in 2023, and that's unlikely to continue? (I guess Minnesota last season was this way for the entire REGULAR SEASON, winning close games despite being outplayed. But it's not the likely outcome.)

what if this is the mean? the difference is tomlin:

“Mike Tomlin finds a way in these muck-and-grind affairs. Somehow, the Steelers have won a franchise-record eight consecutive one-score games. They have won 95 one-score games since Tomlin became coach in 2007, more than any team in the NFL, according to a graphic on the CBS telecast.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2023/11/12/matt-canada-patrick-peterson-elandon-roberts-mike-tomlin-packers-afc-north-standings/stories/202311070166#

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hear you. But given that collection of QBs, their defense will score for them and they will win all those games, except possibly the Baltimore game. And that is a divisional game, which will be a total coin flip.

Every win has been a coin flip for them this year, and they have won them:

“ All six wins for the Steelers this season have come by a single score. The Steelers are 6-3, but outscored on the season by 26 points and for the ninth straight game were outgained by their opponent.”

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-gain-ground-with-a-6th-one-score-win

Steelers D has scored 2 TDs....

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Steelers D has scored 2 TDs....

they also lead the league with 18 takeaways, which often lead to scores. They also are top-5 in defensive negative plays and top-5 in red zone defensive efficiency.

don’t get me wrong— talent and scheme wise, they should be like 2-7 right now. They just amazingly win all these games. And their schedule gets easier now. It’s nuts.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

they also lead the league with 18 takeaways, which often lead to scores. They also are top-5 in defensive negative plays and top-5 in red zone defensive efficiency.

don’t get me wrong— talent and scheme wise, they should be like 2-7 right now. They just amazingly win all these games. And their schedule gets easier now. It’s nuts.

talk to the Bills about an "easy schedule" (already with losses to the Jets, NE and Denver).

So many people say Tomlin is overrated yet he finds ways to coach his teams to winning records, even when the talent might not be great.

Isn't that a coach's job? He's like the opposite of Staley, who handicaps the Chargers. 

Tomlin is squeezing every bit of production possible out of that roster year after year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Losing does funny things to people's perspective🤣. The Steelers are decent, wouldn't surprise me if they made the playoffs.

The Rooney's influence on the NFL isn't as strong as it once was. If you're talking 70s, 80s and early Big Ben years, I'd say you have a point. Tagliabue gave 'em a SB vs Seattle. 

Yeah, I don't think thats happening.  If it did they would probably lose the divisional round and be one and done just like Baltimore in 2019 I think it was.  If they did manage it then I'd feel better about having to go through there than KC. (if we made it that far by some miracle)

I do think Pitts makes the playoffs though.

Edited by Scott7975

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

So many people say Tomlin is overrated yet he finds ways to coach his teams to winning records, even when the talent might not be great.

Isn't that a coach's job? He's like the opposite of Staley, who handicaps the Chargers. 

Tomlin is squeezing every bit of production possible out of that roster year after year. 

exactly right. I also appreciate the dig at Staley, who I thought was overrated from Day 1. The guy was barely a position coach and then took credit for Fangio’s scheme, and somehow ends up being heralded as some young genius. 

He should have been coaching linebackers in LA for the last 5 years. 

Agree w/ those here saying the Chiefs will get the 1 now.

It's kind of a drag how easy the road seems to be for them now, especially in a year when they have taken a step back.  But part of winning a title is getting some breaks along the way.

Hoping we can squeak in & provide at least some resistance.  

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Pittsburgh is stuck in this just barely good enough state with basically no way out. They draft too high for a big splash and they're not going to blow up a playoff team. It's the Andy Dalton Bengals all over again. 

Except the Steelers have not had a losing season since 2003.  And I think it was 20 years between that one and the next earliest one. They are always good. 

28 minutes ago, Success said:

Agree w/ those here saying the Chiefs will get the 1 now.

It's kind of a drag how easy the road seems to be for them now, especially in a year when they have taken a step back.  But part of winning a title is getting some breaks along the way.

Hoping we can squeak in & provide at least some resistance.  

That made me laugh because people said that a lot for the Pats for the 20 year run. You are right luck plays a part in it every year. 

37 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Except the Steelers have not had a losing season since 2003.  And I think it was 20 years between that one and the next earliest one. They are always good. 

That made me laugh because people said that a lot for the Pats for the 20 year run. You are right luck plays a part in it every year. 

The Pats had a ton of luck - which takes nothing away from them being well run, well coached and well quarterbacked.

The biggest luck they had was the fact that their division rivals bumbled their way through 2 decades.  Without doubt, New England's excellence had something to do w/ that.  But it was more than that.  It was really a perfect storm of all 3 teams failing to find a true top-tier QB, or coach, and never giving the Pats any kind of challenge to win the division, and even to get the 1 or 2 seed most years.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Success said:

The Pats had a ton of luck - which takes nothing away from them being well run, well coached and well quarterbacked.

The biggest luck they had was the fact that their division rivals bumbled their way through 2 decades.  Without doubt, New England's excellence had something to do w/ that.  But it was more than that.  It was really a perfect storm of all 3 teams failing to find a true top-tier QB, or coach, and never giving the Pats any kind of challenge to win the division, and even to get the 1 or 2 seed most years.

Ya the division being a mess helped a lot. The luck I thought of was the fact that outside of 1 year, Brady never missed any significant time in his 20 year career or had any injury that made it obvious he was playing through an injury.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.