McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

He also said that "Sometimes there are things in the margins that go unnoticed but are important and it's also important to do things the right way."  

I got that Dorsey allowed them to be sloppy in practices and that carried over to the games.  Makes sense...you play how you practice.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

What is the drop everyone talks about?   The ball that was intercepted, or was there another one?

Whatever, drops are different from fumbles.   No player executes correctly on 100% of his plays, and you don't bench players for occasional failures to execute.   Fumbles are different.   Fumbles are game-changing plays.   In the NFL, if you're a fumbler, you don't play.  If you drop enough passes you don't play, either, if you drop one here or there, you don't get benched. 

Drops that result directly in a turnover and loss of points/ possession "are exactly as egregious as any fumble".  And yes I'm talking about the Gabe drop/interception. And Gabes career 52% hardly screams " here and there".  And to use your own words, " you don't bench players for occassional failure to execute.  According to James' fumble rate, Gabe has a higher failure rate than James.  McD should've benched both if he wanted to be fair.  But he picks & chooses.  

Edited by LABILLBACKER

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Cook has fumbled 3 times on 254 touches.

Davis is a 52% career completion success rate receiver.

Help me make sense of your statement and those numbers.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with reading comprehension.  All I can do is repeat what I said:

Fumbling on the first play of the game means the player was not prepared to play.  If he's not prepared, he needs to sit and get himself prepared. 

Turnovers are different from drops.   Completely different. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

IMO Dorsey had them playing like kitty cats instead of tigers on offense. It started sucking the life and energy out of them after a while.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

In fairness to him, if the team's not going to support him, I'd be the first one to encourage him to leave.  

That's Pegula's problem then.  

If Pegula places loyalty and "culture" crap ahead of performance, oh well, that's on him.  

He can't expect the fans to chum up to his new and improved twice-the-prices STs and PSLs though.  Good luck with that.  

The fact that in seven seasons McBeane still tinker with the D instead of focusing all but exclusively on the offense really makes a statement there.  

Terry knows he needs a competitive team going into the new stadium. I am sure Beane and McDermott are facing pressure to turn this around. Like you said... good luck asking fans to pay a big increase in ticket prices along with PSL fees for a crap product. Terry can ask Johnson and Mara how that worked out. It didn't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Drops that result directly in a turnover and loss of points/ possession "are exactly as egregious as any fumble".  And yes I'm talking about the Gabe drop/interception. And Gabes career 52% hardly screams " here and there".  And to use your own words, " you don't bench players for occassional failure to execute.  According to James' fumble rate, Gabe has a higher failure rate than James.  McD should've benched both if he wanted to be fair.  But he picks & chooses.  

Lots of coaches bench fumblers. They don’t bench pass droppers nearly as much. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

For all the talk about Dorsey's X's and O's I think your point was likely his biggest flaw. A huge part of coaching isn't just telling people the right things to do, it is getting them to do those things, finding the right words, to get the desired results. In fact, most coaches in the NFL are likely pretty comparable when it comes to x's and o's, but the difference between good to great is communicating that, and providing the proper environment/structure around it. 

Like a bunch of former QB's have said "guys are open, you have to make a play". Some of that is on the individual and some is on the coach. 

Whatever Dorsey was saying, nobody was hearing. It was time to move on because of that more so than any play call. 

Great post Mango

You guys have seen me float the idea of Ryan Fitzpatrick as Buffalo's next OC more than once. From a Bills/ players perspective If Fitz tells them something players will respond well and listen. Josh would respond well under Fitzpatrick. The Chan Gailey playbook with Fitz calling plays and poof,

like magic, the Billls O and Josh Allen are riding high in the saddle once again!   

2 hours ago, mannc said:

McDermott is acting like a guy who is under a lot of pressure and is not handling it very well.  Not a good look for the franchise.

He got rid of the DC and then the OC.  He knows he's next.

He damned well should be uneasy.  

If we look bad enough to round out the season, he may not be back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL 

That's why I gave more credit to McDaniels.  

Notice that Brady's career really surged once McDaniel started being the OC.  But Brady developed under Weiss.  The point being that I don't credit Belichick for that, at all.  

Weiss was a disaster as a HC at ND.  

He was a disaster, but I look back fondly on Brady Quinn slinging TDs to Jeff Smardzija.

33 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I don't even credit Belichick.  I credit Charlie Weiss and ultimately Josh McDaniels who despite his failures as a HC was a solid OC.  

Brady had a head for the game that may be second to none in history.  Allen's bright, but he also seems to be a little too disconnected at times.  Who knows whether it was the distractions re: Brittany, Steinfeld, his obsession with golf, etc.  

One thing's clear, coaching should be mentoring him in some way.  If at that point he's still disengaged, then that's another story.  

Interesting you mention Brady. 

I was recently watching this game between the 7-0 Colts and 6-1 Patriots from SNF in Foxborough in 2006.

It reminded me that Tom Brady was once just a great football player, but a young guy who wasn't the basically perfect robot that he became once he hit 38 or 39 years old and never threw picks, never threw incomplete passes, and basically never lost. At least it seemed that way. 

He threw 4 INT at home this night, which wasn't usual for him, but he was a young, dynamic player who wasn't always perfect back then. That's your Josh Allens, Joe Burrows, Patrick Mahomes types now (not that they will become Brady).

But Brady wasn't "Brady" then either. He was a top QB in the league, had won some Super Bowls, but wasn't anywhere near what he would become. 

He won more Super Bowls after age 37 than before. That's crazy. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Well, right there.  And this goes back to McBeane despite their apologists not wanting to see that. 

Can't understand why McD's not taking more heat for the lack of Allen's focus, development, preparation, etc.  If his choice for OCs can't do it, then he needs to personally step in.  This isn't D-III ball.  

It's impossible to sugarcoat anymore.  Any semblance of "winning culture" has been immolated by McD.  It's stunning that he hasn't lost the team yet.  Maybe he has, but if not, it's surprising.  

Either way, the last five years have been a clinic on if you're going to trade-up and draft a QB at 7th overall, you damn well better be prepared to stock him with an OL and some solid receiving options immediately after that to the best of your ability.  But no, not here.  We continue to pour resources into, and even repeatedly, into our defense.  SMH  

Here, McBeane treated the OL and receivers like an afterthought!  Shameful.  Many have been saying it for years, but now those chickens have finally come home to roost.  

That will be the million dollar question Sunday... After the Dorsey firing will the team come out hyped and ready to play or come out looking like they wanted someone else punted.

Samson has been in a funk since Delilah cut his hair on her way out of the mansion.

• Haha (+1) 1

Find it funny all this energy/low positive stuff. Winning cures all and Josh needs to figure out what it takes to get the win nothing more nothing less. I will say he needs to dump wherever he got that low positive stuff from. Pre-game speech last game didn't show a guy that was confident.

https://x.com/BuffaloBills/status/1724225121416552868?s=20

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Some of this might just be changes in his life. He is no longer in that relationship. Daboll is gone. Stefon seems to always be pissed off at him. His game isn't quite where it was. The team is losing and the pressure is different. It's not new anymore, now there are real expectations. 

Not to be too corny, but we can all probably remember a time in life when everything was "magical." There's tons of movies and literature about that feeling, and what happens when we lose that feeling and things become mundane. 

Could be why he doesn't have the same look in his eyes, and I'm glad McDermott said it too, because everyone can see it. 

Maybe he’s realized Hailee can’t bring it in the boudoir like his ex could. That’s enough to depress anybody. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Maybe he should be taking blame for the end-of-game debacle? https://theathletic.com/5066747/2023/11/16/bills-mayday-field-goal-12-men-penalty-sean-mcdermott/. There is zero reason that the Bills should have done a fire-drill change of personnel like Denver did, and this article stresses that. Just keep your base defense out there and eliminate the risk of a personnel snafu. That's on McDermott as much as the ST coach.

'The Athletic talked to two recently out-of-the-game special teams coordinators and three other current NFL staffers who work closely with coaching decisions, and all five agreed that an NFL team should not sub out their existing defense for the field goal block defense when they are operating in a “mayday” field goal situation. There’s not enough time to guarantee a clean substitution (under two minutes, the officials don’t stand over the ball to allow a man-for-man substitution) and the chances of blocking a field goal are miniscule.

“Defensively, we would never substitute an opponent’s mayday situation for the exact reason (of) what happened the other night,” said Mike Priefer, longtime special teams coordinator for four NFL teams, most recently the Cleveland Browns.

Over the past five seasons, just 2.2 percent of all field goal attempts have been blocked across the NFL (86 of 3,925), and it’s been even less common with the game on the line. Over the same span, just 1.8 percent of all potential game-tying/go-ahead field goal attempts in the fourth quarter or overtime have been blocked (7 of 392).

Buffalo has actually had better-than-average results on this play. The Bills have blocked 2.7 percent of all opponent field goal attempts under head coach Sean McDermott, the seventh-highest rate across the NFL since his first season in 2017. That includes 7.1 percent of potential game-tying/go-ahead attempts in the fourth quarter or OT by their opponents (1 of 14).

But that’s still not enough reward to risk a more likely and unnecessary result: Having too many men on the field.

“You don’t want to give them a second chance,” Priefer said. “Whatever 11 is on the field, in a mayday situation, nickel or dime, keep them out there and make sure you don’t have more than six on the line of scrimmage on one side of the center or the other, and make sure you come off the edge.”'

McD actually talked about this exact thing in one of his pressers.  Probably why they made that article.  Conveniently McD left out the part about who told the FG crew to go out there instead of keeping the base defense in.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

to me, this has the feeling of either:

1) being on the verge of a Hollywood type turnaround where the Bills go on to win the Super Bowl

2) being on the verge of a total meltdown and chaos

I can't see a win one, lose one, win one, lose one type outcome. 

Can't you? I can. Just enough to draw the season out and keep hope going without any actual certainty until a heartbreaking loss to the Dolphins in week eighteen.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Can't you? I can. Just enough to draw the season out and keep hope going without any actual certainty until a heartbreaking loss to the Dolphins in week eighteen.

I really don't see that. 

I think either this team, digs deep and turns it on at the right time.

Then Milano starts practicing. Jones starts practicing. 

Things start to come together for Von Miller. 

the team peaks just at the right time...

OR

dumpster fire 

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I really don't see that. 

I think either this team, digs deep and turns it on at the right time.

Then Milano starts practicing. Jones starts practicing. 

Things start to come together for Von Miller. 

the team peaks just at the right time...

OR

dumpster fire 

Would prefer either - at least there would be a degree of certainty!

1 hour ago, Mango said:

They should get used to it. At least compared to the level of winning they have been used to the last 3-4 years.

Even if the Bills win a SB this year, they have a looming low/mid-level reset. We are the oldest team in the league with something like 25 pending FA's and no cap space next year. We have to clear out some a lot of our age and expensive contracts without much depth in the wings. It will likely mean a bit of a step back to retool and reload. Not that I expect us to be bad. We have a QB. But I expect us to be about a 10-7 team in 2024 and maybe 2025. 

Turns out that record may be coming a year sooner than planned. 

Yeah we are going to have to retool for sure.  Thats kinda part of the reason I think it's time for McD to go.  He built a good foundation here and got us some good wins. Unfortunately, he didn't get the complete job done while contracts were on the cheap.  Retooling with McD will just be a defensive retooling.  It kinda needs to happen but at the same time wtf... its time to build around Allen 3 seasons ago min.  It's time to stop with this 200 man defensive rotation, cornerback rotation now too.

I think when a team needs to retool and it's on the fence with a coach then it's the best time to get that new coach in there.  That way new coach can retool the team in his vision instead of wasting another year with someone else's vision.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

If you think those comments are weird you should have heard him talk on WGR right before his press conference.  I really haven't had a problem with McD and some of the things he says but this was kind of a "this is my team and you need to do it my way" kind of comment and it really made me lose faith in him.

He was asked about the Cook benching after the fumble and basically said that he hadn't earned his trust the same as someone that might have been with the team for a longer period of time.

I'm assuming this is a direct "trust" comparison between benching Cook and not benching Davis after he had an INT go off of his hands.  So a guy who fumbled twice in 27 games gets less trust than a 58% catch percentage receiver.  Got it.

After the first fumble and then the Gabe drop to INT - I completely agreed.

After the fumbled handoff, which everyone seems to attribute to JA17, I thought "If I were Cook, I would have been looking that ball into my stomach so hard that I might take a loss before I let it go."

And then he fumbled on the 41 yard play, which thankfully (although ultimately didn't matter) bounced right back to him.

So yeah - it was probably a little drastic at the time.

But maybe the coach(es) were concerned that Cook is more prone to "bad fumble days"; i.e. he is always really good at ball control except those rare days he isn't. And that was one of those days. At the time he went back in it wouldn't really have mattered if he fumbled again. We needed his offense and could risk the TO because they were going to lose without his skillset. And lo and behold it happened twice more that day to the guy who had "only fumbled twice in 27 games."

Now back to Josh and Mc'D's comments: just like the Cook benching, I'm reserving judgement until I see a result. I won't need to wait long, but not going to judge his comments based on what I *think* (unlike most talking heads who seem to know what Diggs is thinking better than Diggs does.)

Edited by timekills17

I'm with Shaw regarding the benching of Cook. And was going to post something similar.

We had an offense/team that was in a slump and needed a spark to turn things around. Sean went against his normal inclination to defer the opening kickoff to try and spark the offense, show confidence in them, get them started early. So, we receive the kick and the very first play Cook fumbles. This immediately takes the wind out of the sails of the offense, the team, and the stadium/fans---I think people already started booing at that point---puts the defense immediately backs to the wall, etc.. Everything you built up all week to try and get off the snide, start fast, etc. was gone on the first play from scrimmage. Have a seat Cook.

While I was watching the game, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that and knew exactly why it was done. We have seen Belichick and many other coaches do the same, continuously throughout their coaching tenures. It wasn't some crazy thing that Sean did that no other coach would do. And when he talked about length of time with the team or whatever, I don't think he was necessarily referring to Gabe as a comparison. Cook is in his second year, he has a total of 209 carries and 1,122 yards with 3 TDs and 3 fumbles lost. He has flashed a lot and we all want him to become a great back, but he hasn't fully earned his stripes in the league yet. Now, if a Derrick Henry, or a Thurman Thomas fumbles on the first play, you aren't worried about them going forward. But, look, Cook dropped the ball twice more in the game (one may have been on Josh). Maybe he has dropped a lot of balls in practice, maybe that and pass blocking is what keeps him from getting more playing time over the last two years.

Either way, I find it funny that people are using that situation as another thing to pile on McD with. There are lots of things you can question about how McD is handling things, I just don't think this is one of them.

Also, on the Gabe "drop." Yes, any ball that hits your hands should be caught...that's the rule and I'm not going to give Gabe a pass here. But, even when I was watching the play live, real time...after Josh let it go, before it even got to Gabe, I said, oh no, Josh put too much juice on that ball. And sure enough, it goes through Gabe's hands. And every replay I watch I just kept thinking Josh put way too much on that ball. Now to be fair to Josh, there were two defenders closing in from either side, so he probably felt that he needed to get it there fast, rifle it in, thread the needle...and we already had the fumble, so he's probably already pressing a bit and just put too much on the ball. So, I think that one was kind of on both players. I know that won't be a popular opinion, but that's how I saw it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Yes he did. 

No, he didn't. It's bad when people hate McDermott so much that they will spout off complete nonsense to try to make a point. McDermott and Beane built this team to what it is and has been. Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley did not. I think you know that but also want McDermott gone and won't give him credit for building the team the way he has. The Bills were not an up and coming team when McDermott took over. They were a middling team that was coming off a season that was much like the mediocre seasons they had for 16 seasons. Give me a break

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I thought u were the anti weed guy lol pass that good smoke this way broooo

I'm not anti weed lol

I'm just thinking out loud is all. McDermott's gone out of his way to criticize Allen since the Broncos game ended and this most recent press conference...I just thought it was weird. Maybe I'm not listening enough to other HCs talk about their QBs when their team struggles but I don't think he goes in on Allen like this unless he's 100% secure in his job.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Yeah we are going to have to retool for sure.  Thats kinda part of the reason I think it's time for McD to go.  He built a good foundation here and got us some good wins. Unfortunately, he didn't get the complete job done while contracts were on the cheap.  Retooling with McD will just be a defensive retooling.  It kinda needs to happen but at the same time wtf... its time to build around Allen 3 seasons ago min.  It's time to stop with this 200 man defensive rotation, cornerback rotation now too.

I think when a team needs to retool and it's on the fence with a coach then it's the best time to get that new coach in there.  That way new coach can retool the team in his vision instead of wasting another year with someone else's vision.

I think maybe there is a version of the simulation where we keep McD one more year, maybe two, but only if he can keep some control over the locker rooms . 

Josh Allen makes Buffalo appealing but a bunch of old players and no cap space make it tough to be super successful quickly. 

It might not be the worst idea to let McD ride out another season, but Beane is prepping for life without him in the 2024 draft with a heavy focus on offense. It may require even an official sit down about heirarchy. That also means a guy like Brady gets a full calendar as OC. Then in 2025 a new HC comes in with a load of money, a young roster, and a franchise QB. That person in theory could be Joe Brady if he gets this offense firing. 

3 minutes ago, folz said:

Also, on the Gabe "drop." Yes, any ball that hits your hands should be caught...that's the rule and I'm not going to give Gabe a pass here. But, even when I was watching the play live, real time...after Josh let it go, before it even got to Gabe, I said, oh no, Josh put too much juice on that ball. And sure enough, it goes through Gabe's hands. And every replay I watch I just kept thinking Josh put way too much on that ball. Now to be fair to Josh, there were two defenders closing in from either side, so he probably felt that he needed to get it there fast, rifle it in, thread the needle...and we already had the fumble, so he's probably already pressing a bit and just put too much on the ball. So, I think that one was kind of on both players. I know that won't be a popular opinion, but that's how I saw it.

I had a buddy at the game who texted me something similar. That Josh was just blasting heaters with little touch all night and making it tough on receivers. 

I think Josh’s arm strength, or lack of control sometimes makes it tough on receivers. It isn’t just how hard the pass hits, but it’s the timing from release to hitting a guy in the hands too. When throws are fast balls and a little bit late all the time it makes timing catches difficult. 

All that said, ball hits you in the hands, catch it.

• Like (+1) 1

Well losing sucks and that’s where they are right now. 

Josh gets on the podium and takes the blame for everything while the HC consistently points at the O and gives his D a pass. Even when his D has had multiple chances to close out games they  come up short. Even when the O starts getting hot late in games and they need a stop to give them 1 more shot to get the W, the D can’t make a stop. “You don’t win the turnover battle you don’t win games”, that’s the gist of his press conference after every game. You can’t win the turnover battle when your D doesn’t force turnovers. Allen is just expected to play damn near perfect every game and it’s probably in his head right now. After his TD the other night to put them ahead it was like he knew there wasn’t much since of celebrating until the clock hits zero. It was kind of funny. And I’m sure every Bills fan had the exact same feeling, I know did. 

McD might be in the hot seat but all the pressure is in Josh and McD ain’t making it easier. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm not anti weed lol

I'm just thinking out loud is all. McDermott's gone out of his way to criticize Allen since the Broncos game ended and this most recent press conference...I just thought it was weird. Maybe I'm not listening enough to other HCs talk about their QBs when their team struggles but I don't think he goes in on Allen like this unless he's 100% secure in his job.

That’s a good point. That hadn’t occurred to me.

In general I think you back Allen in this fight, and it isn’t really close at all.

But for the sake of this exercise let’s pretend it’s an Allen issue (it’s not) and look down the road. Unless McD hits on another QB in the next 3-4 years he’s likely out of a job because he failed the QB position. So even if you think you might have a guy who can play the position, then rally around the passer. It’s not like McD is Tomlin or Harbaugh. He hasn’t won a championship. 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Davis fumbles too

Two fumbles in four years.

And what no one who brings up Gabe's catch percentage points out is the difficultly level of the balls thrown to him. Most of the throws to Gabe are deep shots, either fly patterns, posts, deep outs, etc. Those throws have a much higher-level of difficulty. For instance, if you compare his catch percentage to a slot receiver or a possession receiver whose majority of receptions are under 10 yards, well of course those players are going to have a higher percentage than Gabe.

I'm not forgiving Gabe for his drops or for not fighting hard enough for contested balls sometimes, but catch percentage has to be looked at in context.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well Allen takes every chance he can to remind everyone how there is nothing to do in Buffalo. 

Because there isn’t. Born and raised in WNY and it’s just a boring place. If you like the outdoors it’s fun (boating, atv, snow activities, etc), but players in season aren’t doing that because they can’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

Could it be McDermott realizes HE created a Quarterback that has to be reigned in?  (not referring to running.)

Would he like to look in the film room and now see Allen in there?

Wonder if HE regrets giving Allen the pick of the Team's OC.

Would McDermott have given Knox such a large contract if Knox was not Allen's buddy?

Would McDermott have to look twice if HE saw Allen working out in their Gym?

Is McDermott now realizing to himself that the only reason He signed Kyle Allen as the backup Quarterback because He was Allen's good Friend?

(BTW Kyle might be a great guy...but)

Wonder how McDermott feels when He sees Allen all offseason doing His "thing" (showing up at all the major golf tournaments, commercials, Hollywood, etc) and then comes to camp and still has issues with reading defenses but doesn't put in the work. Just utterances in the media of "putting in more work, more focus".

McDermott gave Allen the big contract and now wonders did He create "Holywood Highlight Josh" and let him do as he pleased with no accountability.

Input from your QB is surely  a good thing.  But this has been ridiculous.

McDermott gave Allen carte blanche and Allen took it and ran with it.  Did it result in a better team?  Or a cover on Madden?

I by no means am A fan of McDermott. 
He should be gone.
He has lost the Team a long while ago and certainly as pointed out  above, He may have created something with Allen that may not be able to be fixed.

Is He now capable of saying to Allen that He (McDermott) is in charge?

Bills need a Coach that has the final say, not catering to the whims of certain players.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

That is a legitimately bizarre thing to say in a press conference.

I’ve heard it repeatedly at high levels that McD has been reading TBD and agrees with the girlfriend theory. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.