McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Get him another playmaker. 

We’ve stalled because we added Diggs in 2020 and stopped. 

As more comes out it would appear that McDummie isn't interested in more playmakers for the kind of offense he wants to run. That might explain why he rather invest more in the defense than the offense. The dude is toast! Black monday is approaching, see ya McDummie!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This team lacks playmakers, and the scheme has not been cutting edge.

So Allen is having to play death by 1,000 papercuts offense and getting grilled relentlessly about turnovers from his coach and media. 

This franchise has spent their money on defense. 

Invest heavily in the offense and I think Allen comes back. 

Well, right there.  And this goes back to McBeane despite their apologists not wanting to see that. 

Can't understand why McD's not taking more heat for the lack of Allen's focus, development, preparation, etc.  If his choice for OCs can't do it, then he needs to personally step in.  This isn't D-III ball.  

It's impossible to sugarcoat anymore.  Any semblance of "winning culture" has been immolated by McD.  It's stunning that he hasn't lost the team yet.  Maybe he has, but if not, it's surprising.  

Either way, the last five years have been a clinic on if you're going to trade-up and draft a QB at 7th overall, you damn well better be prepared to stock him with an OL and some solid receiving options immediately after that to the best of your ability.  But no, not here.  We continue to pour resources into, and even repeatedly, into our defense.  SMH  

Here, McBeane treated the OL and receivers like an afterthought!  Shameful.  Many have been saying it for years, but now those chickens have finally come home to roost.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

A QB spending 99% of his time on the sidelines speaking to nobody looking like a deer in headlights is what is bizarre. What McDermott is saying is what many here have been noticing for the past year and a half. 

Hopefully the change will help give Allen some confidence.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

food for thought that I hadn't considered before today

in a battle of wills that would eventually decide who stays and who goes, could Allen potentially lose out to McDermott?

Allen wins. Unless there’s damning dirty laundry the org is covering up. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Every time McDummy opens his mouth, his words say "Here's another reason to fire my ass". Josh is unhappy because you made him that way, #######. 

So happy that many of your finally understand the situation and that this moron needed to go after 13 seconds because you simply don't come back from that and it's very possible it broke Josh Allen as well after playing the game of his career only to let horrendous coaching ***** defeat from the jaws of victory.

And speaking of Allen, it's likely going to be up to him to go directly to Terry Pegula and say that he needs to be fired (assuming Pegula doesn't care about the extension in the first place and will already be inclined to pull that trigger).

Because at this point the only other (harsh) reality is that Josh Allen simply doesn't like playing football anymore and is already looking at life beyond his pro football career but that would raise a whole other set of issues like how to get out his massive $250M that coincidentally starts to kick in 2024.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Exactly. I see a man who really doesn't care,like screw it.  The fun and excitement is gone.

It's almost like he can tell the team don't care anymore and is preparing for what is to come knowing they are not coming together this year.  Something is still really off at OBD and I expect we will get to share the experience Sunday once again

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I am so done with McDummy.  The only scary part is TP and BB finding his replacement. 

Beane is at least a football man. We don't know if he would fail to hire a good HC since McDermott was here before him. If Beane gets the opportunity to hire a HC it would be his first time. Now if Terry fires both of them then I wouldn't feel confident that he could find the right replacements.

why would Allen look cheerful?  Team is losing games and he is the first place you go for an explanation  Think they guy just wants to go our and play and he's being over analyzed and scrutinized.  McDermott  is just building himself a parachute for the offseason to explain away the teams collapse

good thing for McDermott is he probably wont be around too much longer to have to opine for Josh to have that look in his eyes.

I mean me personally, I bet its wonderful coming in to work everyday knowing the whole world is waiting for your star wr to blow up and turn this into an episode of jerry springer where you are the villain and he is the damsel in distress.  It must be a great feeling.  I bet its hard to be loose and happy 24x7 in this scenario where the guy is sitting back while his brother is on social media talking trash about you for no reason.    

and with that opinion I will add that I bet Allen doesn't love that the Head Coach can not control this situation with this one player either because when he tried in the spring it somehow got worse for everyone.  

yes I know I am alone in this opinion and am probably wrong but when this type of thing has started in every other organization it always ends poorly, usually for the head coach and the wr who gets moved.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

So happy that many of your finally understand the situation and that this moron needed to go after 13 seconds because you simply don't come back from that and it's very possible it broke Josh Allen as well after playing the game of his career only to let horrendous coaching ***** defeat from the jaws of victory.

And speaking of Allen, it's likely going to be up to him to go directly to Terry Pegula and say that he needs to be fired (assuming Pegula doesn't care about the extension in the first place and will already be inclined to pull that trigger).

Because at this point the only other (harsh) reality is that Josh Allen simply doesn't like playing football anymore and is already looking at life beyond his pro football career but that would raise a whole other set of issues like how to get out his massive $250M that coincidentally starts to kick in 2024.

What finally?  I've been on board since 13 seconds, but I was also forced to face the reality that this sunuvab wasn't going anywhere soon. 

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, right there.  And this goes back to McBeane despite their apologists not wanting to see that. 

Can't understand why McD's not taking more heat for the lack of Allen's focus, development, preparation, etc.  If his choice for OCs can't do it, then he needs to personally step in.  This isn't D-III ball.  

It's impossible to sugarcoat anymore.  Any semblance of "winning culture" has been immolated by McD.  It's stunning that he hasn't lost the team yet.  Maybe he has, but if not, it's surprising.  

Either way, the last five years have been a clinic on if you're going to trade-up and draft a QB at 7th overall, you damn well better be prepared to stock him with an OL and some solid receiving options immediately after that to the best of your ability.  But no, not here.  We continue to pour resources into, and even repeatedly, into our defense.  SMH  

Here, McBeane treated the OL and receivers like an afterthought!  Shameful.  Many have been saying it for years, but now those chickens have finally come home to roost.  

Well, the Brady/BB experience was a working model as well. Turns out you just need a QB like Brady and a coach like BB in his prime to execute it.

There were troubling events with the Buffalo offense under Dorsey. Such as Shakir, Cook, and other receivers not getting enough passes their way and Gabe Davis getting more than he should. Josh under the center showed marked improvement in the offensive performance and yet didn't use that often enough for some unknown reason. The run game with Cook disappearing at times. 

It is my take that firing Ken Dorsey was the best move McD has made aside from allowing Leslie Frazier to step aside. 

I also think that this HC allows his OC to have full autonomy with the offense and he is a "hands-off" Head Coach. This was apparent with Brian Daboll and Dorsey hung himself with his own ineptitude. 

I think the Buffalo Bills destroy that NY Jets defense this Sunday and Bills fans will see that this was the right move. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That's my point. Even in the postgame presser he was clearly flustered and immediately went to bat for the defense while saying the offense is the problem.

The guy is not approaching his job like an HC right now. He's just responding like a defensive coordinator.

That response is not complimentary 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

McDermott is acting like a guy who is under a lot of pressure and is not handling it very well.  Not a good look for the franchise.

Agreed. His interviews this week have become even more disjointed than usual. His answers barely make sense because he’s too nervous to answer a question the wrong way. It’s over… the team can’t have a guy like that leading them. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think people are trying to play pretend psychiatrist.  It's pretty simple.  Allen is mentally weak right now.  Plain as day and needs to snap out of it or he's going to get everyone fired.  McD simply stated the obvious.  He needs to sack up and quit pouting in between drives

I really hope you don't work for mental health services. As, even if it is a case of him being "mentally weak", it'll take a lot of work to get him to "snap out of it".

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think people are trying to play pretend psychiatrist.  It's pretty simple.  Allen is mentally weak right now.  Plain as day and needs to snap out of it or he's going to get everyone fired.  McD simply stated the obvious.  He needs to sack up and quit pouting in between drives

Mentally weak?  The guy has been playing hurt for two years now.  never misses a play or a game.  

What you call pouting is exactly what every qb does on the sideline.  They go over plays on the ipad, talk to the qb coach and occasionally go give a pep talk to the offensive line or the defense.  Joe Burrow is always just sitting there.  It's what qbs do.

Now why do you say he is pouting and mentally weak....well because you see him constantly because the cameras isolate him at all times.....Gabe Davis cant catch a perfectly thrown ball....close up on Allen, Allen throws an INT, Closeup on Allen.....PI on a corner who commits them every week...pow...Closeup on Allen....12 men in the huddle and you lose on a penatly....close up on Allen.  

This is how it is going to go.  If he is rah rah and up and down the sidelines then the instant reaction is that the other guys are not doing their jobs or worse...that he is yelling at the untouchable Stephon Diggs.....So he has to study with the qb coach/backup qb in between series.  

I think some fans here want him to have a drum set on the sideline where he does a full on John Bonham solo in between series, shotguns a few labatt blue and yells at all his teammates.  

• Thank you (+1) 3

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

That is a legitimately bizarre thing to say in a press conference.

i took this as not flaming Dorsey tbh

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Not sure why some are reacting with the disagree emoji. This is a very valid observation. 

Dude has had it relatively easy. Make no mistake, he inherited a team already on the rise. He is a decent coach. He is not a SB winning coach. Things finally aren’t coming up all rainbows and sunshine and he’s cracking.

Clap less. Do more.  

Rex Ryan had this team on the rise?

Since everyone is a part time shrink here and sports psychologist, I'll add mine.

I've said in other threads, Maybe Sean should look inwards and create a better environment in the Lockeroom and not be such tight ass.  Some of these other coaches like Dan Campbell, Siriani, Mike McDaniel, Pete Carroll, Reid, etcc..  They are serious of course but also manage tp keep things loose and fun at times.  I don't care about the press conferences, I'm talking about behind the scenes and how he interacts with the guys.  Maybe have some fun in practices.

Also needing a deeper dive is the London trip.  Josh and the offense had just come off an outstanding  game vs Miami.  Then they inexplicably leave late in the week to play the Jags, who were just waiting around in Europe. Josh is interviewed a few hours after they land and have a practice.  He goes on to say he didn't really sleep on the plane and he's drinking cups of coffee because the plan calls for everyone to stay awake all day and go to bed at a normal time.   Who knows how that went? But anyway, they go on to have a horrible first half...they didn't look prepared and they suffered devastating injuries on D.  Somewhere in there Josh lost his mojo either with himself or because things were not coming as easily anymore.   And you could tell McDermott was quietly seething mad in interviews about the whole trip.  Since then the season has turned to crap even though they scrounged out a couple wins.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

The exact problem with people today.  A bunch of pansies 

More a case it was bottle things up in the past until they caused issues in other ways.

If you're right, then actually working with Josh may get him out of the funk quicker than "just get on with it", which will be beneficial for both him and the Bills.

31 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

McB purposely neglected the OL and a better supplemental wr (wr2) for years. And this was done in order for him to focus on his defense.  They literally had every opportunity to build a monster offense around Josh from 2018 on.  Josh simply had to make hero plays because he didn't have the offensive structure to go in any other direction.  McD hires Dorsey (another mistake) and Ken proceeds to ask Josh to do 3 things at once. No one should be surprised by this or Josh's loss of confidence. McDermott better quickly decide whether he wants to be flexible with Brady or his time with this team will come to an end.  And to finalize,  none of this has anything to do with the incessant blunders that Sean commits during games. That's a whole different argument for another day. This is about leadership and letting your offensive people like Daboll do their job.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Since everyone is a part time shrink here and sports psychologist, I'll add mine.

I've said in other threads, Maybe Sean should look inwards and create a better environment in the Lockeroom and not be such tight ass.  Some of these other coaches like Dan Campbell, Siriani, Mike McDaniel, Pete Carroll, Reid, etcc..  They are serious of course but also manage tp keep things loose and fun at times.  I don't care about the press conferences, I'm talking about behind the scenes and how he interacts with the guys.  Maybe have some fun in practices.

Also needing a deeper dive is the London trip.  Josh and the offense had just come off an outstanding  game vs Miami.  Then they inexplicably leave late in the week to play the Jags, who were just waiting around in Europe. Josh is interviewed a few hours after they land and have a practice.  He goes on to say he didn't really sleep on the plane and he's drinking cups of coffee because the plan calls for everyone to stay awake all day and go to bed at a normal time.   Who knows how that went? But anyway, they go on to have a horrible first half...they didn't look prepared and they suffered devastating injuries on D.  Somewhere in there Josh lost his mojo either with himself or because things were not coming as easily anymore.   And you could tell McDermott was quietly seething mad in interviews about the whole trip.  Since then the season has turned to crap even though they scrounged out a couple wins.

McDermott needs to get a tattoo that reads:

IMG_2259.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm going to defend McDermott for a moment. Brace yourself. 

Maybe Dorsey was indeed the problem.

Are any of you managers at work? Imagine if something didn't go right and your reaction was this:

Angry Computer GIF

How would the people under you react?

Yes, of course Football is an intense game... but wouldn't it be a little less fun?

I wonder if Dorsey didn't know how to channel Josh's energy and keep it positive during games. His own competitiveness got in the way.

Dorsey might be a great coach, but maybe he just wasn't the right pairing with Josh?

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

More a case it was bottle things up in the past until they caused issues in other ways.

If you're right, then actually working with Josh may get him out of the funk quicker than "just get on with it", which will be beneficial for both him and the Bills.

You are bothering me.  I'll bow out

28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Beane is at least a football man. We don't know if he would fail to hire a good HC since McDermott was here before him. If Beane gets the opportunity to hire a HC it would be his first time. Now if Terry fires both of them then I wouldn't feel confident that he could find the right replacements.

Thats when Terry hires a committee of older, more established NFL folks and lets them do the interviews with Terry involved in the process.  There is no shame in that at all, in fact it might be pretty smart.

• Like (+1) 2

I didn’t realize we had so many renowned psychologists/psychiatrists on this board. 

The amount of outright guessing/assuming/conjecture is pretty funny. 

McD has lost the lockeroom! McD only cares about the defense! Josh misses his ex GF! He sits alone! Hilarious.

Ya know what fixes this? A couple of W’s. That’s it. Everything sucks right now because they are losing and not meeting expectations.

I don’t think you need to look much further than that. But please, keep speculating because it makes for entertaining reading.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

@Shaw66 what are your thoughts on this? Does this sound like a head coach that is capable of taking us to where we want to go? Did Dorsey make the benching call or McDermott? Sounds like McDermott to me!

First, I seriously doubt that the OC benched Cook.  I'm sure it was McDermott.  And I know people had trouble with how long the guy was on the bench,; I see their point of view, but it didn't trouble me a whole lot.   McDermott (like all coaches) is very much into the next-man-up philosophy, and he is not going to assume that Cook is the only guy who can execute the plays at running back.  Josh may be the only guy McDermott wouldn't bench.  

I would have benched him too.   When I guy fumbles on the first play from scrimmage, it says he wasn't ready to play.   It's his JOB to be ready to play.  In the old days, Jim Brown always made sure he was ready to play, because in those days a lot of players eased themselves into the game, so Brown knew that the first play from scrimmage was an opportunity.  These days, everyone is ready to go on the first play, and Cook showed that he wasn't.   

It's the coach's job to send a message to a guy who isn't ready, and the only way to do it is to bench him.  And McDermott's point is correct - Cook hasn't shown he can be trusted.  He hasn't been around long enough, and he hasn't come through for the team in ways that have earned that trust.   Taron Johnson, Micah Hyde, Stefon Diggs make a mistake, they are right back out there.   

I'm a Belichick fan.  He takes the same approach.  He regularly benches guys who fumble early in the game.   And McDermott is a student of the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if he learned this from watching Belichick.   Doesn't mean it's right, of course, but it's not like the benching was some kind of bizarre decision the suddenly popped into McDermott's head.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I didn’t realize we had so many renowned psychologists/psychiatrists on this board. 

The amount of outright guessing/assuming/conjecture is pretty funny. 

McD has lost the lockeroom! McD only cares about the defense! Josh misses his ex GF! He sits alone! Hilarious.

Ya know what fixes this? A couple of W’s. That’s it. Everything sucks right now because they are losing and not meeting expectations.

I don’t think you need to look much further than that. But please, keep speculating because it makes for entertaining reading.

You have over a thousand posts on an NFL team's message board... and you're upset that people are voicing their opinions and guessing on what's happening inside the organization?

I'm sure everyone appreciates the sage wisdom of "things are good when you win" but the whole point of a message board is to speculate and discuss.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, I seriously doubt that the OC benched Cook.  I'm sure it was McDermott.  And I know people had trouble with how long the guy was on the bench,; I see their point of view, but it didn't trouble me a whole lot.   McDermott (like all coaches) is very much into the next-man-up philosophy, and he is not going to assume that Cook is the only guy who can execute the plays at running back.  Josh may be the only guy McDermott wouldn't bench.  

I would have benched him too.   When I guy fumbles on the first play from scrimmage, it says he wasn't ready to play.   It's his JOB to be ready to play.  In the old days, Jim Brown always made sure he was ready to play, because in those days a lot of players eased themselves into the game, so Brown knew that the first play from scrimmage was an opportunity.  These days, everyone is ready to go on the first play, and Cook showed that he wasn't.   

It's the coach's job to send a message to a guy who isn't ready, and the only way to do it is to bench him.  And McDermott's point is correct - Cook hasn't shown he can be trusted.  He hasn't been around long enough, and he hasn't come through for the team in ways that have earned that trust.   Taron Johnson, Micah Hyde, Stefon Diggs make a mistake, they are right back out there.   

I'm a Belichick fan.  He takes the same approach.  He regularly benches guys who fumble early in the game.   And McDermott is a student of the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if he learned this from watching Belichick.   Doesn't mean it's right, of course, but it's not like the benching was some kind of bizarre decision the suddenly popped into McDermott's head.  

Shaw….and I mean this will due respect…is there ANYTHING that McD does or can do that you won’t come on here and defend? Benching or not benching isn’t the point. The JOB of the head coach is to coach his players. I saw very little coaching in that move. Just another frustration tantrum by a guy who knows his days are numbered. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TurfToeJam said:

That's true.  But mahomes and burrow haven't had stretches of poor play like Allen has.  (Not counting burrow to while he was injured)

Allen is in the top five in pretty much every passing metric this season, has scored more total touchdowns than any player in football, and is on pace to set career best marks in completion percentage and touchdowns.

For whatever we can all say about Josh's demeanor or the faces he makes or whatever, he's still having a very good year on the football field -- INTs or not.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McB purposely neglected the OL and a better supplemental wr (wr2) for years. And this was done in order for him to focus on his defense.  They literally had every opportunity to build a monster offense around Josh from 2018 on.  Josh simply had to make hero plays because he didn't have the offensive structure to go in any other direction.  McD hires Dorsey (another mistake) and Ken proceeds to ask Josh to do 3 things at once. No one should be surprised by this or Josh's loss of confidence. McDermott better quickly decide whether he wants to be flexible with Brady or his time with this team will come to an end.  And to finalize,  none of this has anything to do with the incessant blunders that Sean commits during games. That's a whole different argument for another day. This is about leadership and letting your offensive people like Daboll do their job.

That is where the issue began  They traded for Diggs in 2020 and  not much else since then favoring investing heavily on D line.    Kincaid first real weapon they added since 2020.  Offense has no explosive guys around Josh then double down with a first time OC  Add the heavy possibility of a head coach that meddles with the offense as well trying to hide his defenses liabilities as well as stupid philosophy  This defense should be attack and try and get off the field quickly not retreat and wait for a mistake  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

You have over a thousand posts on an NFL team's message board... and you're upset that people are voicing their opinions and guessing on what's happening inside the organization?

I'm sure everyone appreciates the sage wisdom of "things are good when you win" but the whole point of a message board is to speculate and discuss.

I’m not upset at all. I think it’s very funny everyone trying to do a deep dive on the psychology when I think it’s as simple as Winning fixes everything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.