Sal Capaccio - Why so angry?

Back2Buff

I don't seek out Sal, really don't have time to listen to lots of audio, but he is usually on the WGR 550 morning show for a half hour, and the guy is so angry and argumentative.  It's a tough listen.  What happened to this guy?  He was always the positive light in a dark cloud when the Bills weren't very good.  He was a guy that I would look for his stuff that he would post when he lived in Florida.  He seems to be getting more condescending and wanting to constantly pick fights with everyone.  Not just the callers, but also the other hosts. 

He needs a reset or something, but who would want to listen to someone that like constantly?

Is my opinion out of line?  The segment this morning and yesterday were embarrassing for him. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't seek out Sal, really don't have time to listen to lots of audio, but he is usually on the WGR 550 morning show for a half hour, and the guy is so angry and argumentative.  It's a tough listen.  What happened to this guy?  He was always the positive light in a dark cloud when the Bills weren't very good.  He was a guy that I would look for his stuff that he would post when he lived in Florida.  He seems to be getting more condescending and wanting to constantly pick fights with everyone.  Not just the callers, but also the other hosts. 

He needs a reset or something, but who would want to listen to someone that like constantly?

Is my opinion out of line?  The segment this morning and yesterday were embarrassing for him. 

Gotta stay in the good graces of the organization 😎

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He's a shill.   He invests a lot of time in telling fans that they are wrong to quiet the critics of the organization............this helps preserve his job with the team.

But when the organization makes a turn that undermines the sales pitch he has to have a response.

Perhaps he thinks anger makes it seem like the organization was pushed into making the decision by critics.

Either way........as a shill you gotta' take anything he says with a grain.

Under the cover of a little bit of time he can just do what he did with Tremaine Edmunds...........talk him up and shout down critics when he was with the team..........then say the same things as the critics did after he left the team.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Agree with what's been said above, but also its clear that he's lost a lot of his former humility. 

He now likes to "big league" his callers.  Because as we know, since he travels with the team and stands on the sideline during games, he's actually a real part of the NFL, which he refers to all the time as "this league" like the true insider he is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

He has always been a homer. I actually think he does know more about football than any of the other guys on GR, not hard, but he starts every discussion trying to prove the organisation right. I'm still not over "don't worry about not improving the receiving room because we have got 'pass catchers' like James Cook (as a rookie) and OJ Howard (didn't make the team)."

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Under the cover of a little bit of time he can just do what he did with Tremaine Edmunds...........talk him up and shout down critics when he was with the team..........then say the same things as the critics did after he left the team.

Haha yep, I noticed that. Weeks 3 and 4 when the team was rolling and people were realising actually Bernard can play (and actually he really can, even in the down turn for the most part he has played well) suddenly he started slipping in this "Edmunds wasn't an impact player and he wasn't a difference maker." When for the last two year especially he'd been a "you just can't see the difference he makes without breaking down the film" guy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

Sal is miserable. Constantly reminding guests and hosts that he "works for the Bills" and "I'm on the field for games"....cool, dude. I generally like the other WGR hosts but Sal is the worst. Can never be wrong either.

Miserable is a good description.  Miserable sports radio gets tiresome.  A reason why Pardon My Take has become the top sports audio out there.  People would rather listen to something easy going, vs some old man literally acting like miserable old man.

1 minute ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The minute he starts trashing Sean, he loses all access to the the team. It's self preservation. Same goes for Chris Brown and Tasker. Both Bills employees. Last week Tasker said the Bills would be "punting the season" if they fired Dorsey. Yesterday, he said something had to change.

It's not about trashing any part of the organization.  It's his tone and attitude that's the issue.  I don't really have an issue with anything he says about the Bills.

Today he was treating a caller like a child because the caller said the media needs to do a better job at following up on questions why McDermott doesn't answer the question that was asked.  Sal acted like he was talking to a 10 year old child who was about to get reprimanded.  It was an embarrassing look.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The minute he starts trashing Sean, he loses all access to the the team. It's self preservation. Same goes for Chris Brown and Tasker. Both Bills employees. Last week Tasker said the Bills would be "punting the season" if they fired Dorsey. Yesterday, he said something had to change.

Chris Brown is a good upgrade from Murph, but he's a HORRIBLE radio show host. Tasker not much better. Both guys just field calls on their show and harass the callers constantly. 

One of his most irritating habits is referencing the worst fans that call into his show or reply to him on social media and painting all Bills fans with that same brush.

He's a disingenuous sycophant who thinks he's part of the team.

Additionally, he talks way too much about his kid. Nobody cares what he said at dinner last night, pal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Agree with what's been said above, but also its clear that he's lost a lot of his former humility. 

He now likes to "big league" his callers.  Because as we know, since he travels with the team and stands on the sideline during games, he's actually a real part of the NFL, which he refers to all the time as "this league" like the true insider he is.

This part is pretty irritating.  He spends a lot of energy putting down 'callers' as if he isn't just a 'caller' himself.  

All he does is yell into the microphone.  Last week it was putting people down 'fire the OC?  OK, who are you going to bring in now?  I thought so, good bye".  

Sal and Tasker are both unbearable during rough times.  My favorite take of Tasker's last week was "this team is going to win a ton more games this season".

Listen to Chris Brown as someone who can levy criticism at the team in a measured way and feel secure about himself.

Just now, QB Bills said:

One of his most irritating habits is referencing the worst fans that call into his show or reply to him on social media and painting all Bills fans with that same brush.

He's a disingenuous sycophant who thinks he's part of the team.

Additionally, he talks way too much about his kid. Nobody cares what he said at dinner last night, pal.

This is super irritating too.  Its a straw man crutch he uses to put down any criticism of the team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

A poster on here said it well - he acts like his Bills sideline reporter job is the main talking point of the show now. 

That's what I've heard over the years, he goes into elementary school teacher mode where he instructs his guests, his callers, and other hosts on how everything works at OBD, but it's basic things like their meeting schedule or how they fly on planes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe the realization that a life long dream of being paid to talk sports isn’t all it was cracked up to be. 

I disagree. I used to work on air in radio (not talk though, just playing music). It's literally a cake job...like getting money for doing nothing. Easiest job I ever had.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

No.  I feel kind of badly for the guy, actually.  He seems to identify as the “Bills sideline reporter.”  There’s a lot more to someone than their job, irrespective of whether they’re lugging trash or quarterbacking the Bills.   I hope I never identify by how I earn a paycheck and support my family. 

• Agree 2

People that are employed by the bills or want to be employed by the bills will never talk bad about the team because they know the second they do that they will be ousted by them. So they have to go to bat for the team regardless it Hass to be an exhausting job.

The Pegula’s really have an inferiority complex when it comes to that kind of thing. 

• Agree 1

Kind of surprised to see how many people don't like Sal. 

Not saying I agree with everything that he says but I honestly can't stand most of the callers that call in with every hot take under the sun and provide nothing to support their comment other than "because that's what I would do".

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He's clearly a homer, but I think he genuinely believes what he's saying.  It's hard to have objectivity if you're that close to the organization and know the coaches/staff/players as people and not just football personalities. 

that's the worst part for him. he buys all of it. every little bit. he ignores the stuff he is clearly involved with. whether willfully or neglibly.

he's part of the biggest problem in buffalo media

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I disagree. I used to work on air in radio (not talk though, just playing music). It's literally a cake job...like getting money for doing nothing. Easiest job I ever had.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Some people’s career aspirations don’t center around getting paid for nothing 

Who said anything about career aspirations? It was a job I held after I came out of college til I joined up in the USAF. Honestly though, most broadcasting jobs pay very litte.

But to your point, I'm quite sure that the determining factor for most people, for most jobs, is what they will get paid (just as it is for most pro athletes). And also, the less they are tasked to do, the happier they are....again, speaking for most people. The latter is why so many people are screaming like a cat being held over a toilet after being told they need to get their butts back in the office and stop working from home. LOL

1 minute ago, boyst said:

that's the worst part for him. he buys all of it. every little bit. he ignores the stuff he is clearly involved with. whether willfully or neglibly.

he's part of the biggest problem in buffalo media

I mean, look at it this way: 

For years Sal covered the team and they were trash. Nobody cared about them, no national spotlight, not a whole lot of scrutiny either. 

Then McDermott comes in and turns around the org.  They make the playoffs, then they hit big on Allen.  All of the sudden you're getting national media spots, you're getting invited to jump on podcasts, Pat McAfee, etc... People are tuning in, and you're getting more popular as a result.  Your opinion is getting more and more traction.  It's fun and it's exciting.  

Of course he buys all of it.  It's undoubtably made his life better and more interesting. 

And I want to say that even though my profile picture is megamind Sal, I don't think he's the best at what he does.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.