Houston - a young team to keep an eye on

Dubie54

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I remember when that was the pervasive mantra here on these boards.   We can only win by drafting offensive players, offensive minded head coach and have to outscore  and race track every opponent on offense,   Offense offense offense as if Defense doesn't matter, totally illogical.

The Bills haven't won a game this season when the opponent has scored more than 21 points. League average this season is 21.

We basically need our defense to be above average, or we lose.

Kind of ruins the whole point of paying Josh and Diggs a half billion or whatever, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Bills haven't won a game this season when the opponent has scored more than 21 points. League average this season is 21.

Kind of ruins the whole point of paying Josh and Diggs a half billion or whatever, imo.

The game that, THUS FAR, has blown up everything was the Patriots loss.  How we let Mac Jones have the game of his lifetime versus us was incomprehensible and I put that on coaching.  Just like during the "hurricane  game" with the wind a few years ago Belichek beat us  by coaching. and Belichek did to Dorian Williams exactly what he did to Tremaine Edmonds when he was a rookie, targeting him repeatedly till even McDermott even saw it and had to sit him.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The game that, THUS FAR, has blown up everything was the Patriots loss.  How we let Mac Jones have the game of his lifetime versus us was incomprehensible and I put that on coaching.  Just like during the "hurricane  game" with the wind a few years ago Belichek beat us  by coaching. and Belichek did to Dorian Williams exactly what he did to Tremaine Edmonds when he was a rookie, targeting him repeatedly till even McDermott even saw it and had to sit him.  

Yeah that was a bad day at the office.

To your point about the offensive coaching, I'm still of the opinion that a good offensive coach is key for sustained offensive success.

Stroud looks really good. Maybe his OC gets poached this year or next. Maybe he gets some journeyman hack like Bill Lazor instead and struggles a bit more after that.

Not the best way to optimize the best asset on your team for 10 years.

They also have the Cardinals first round pick next year. Can you imagine if they make the playoffs and get a top 3 pick?

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Houston feels like where we were in 2019.

It was all starting to click.

I don't know about that. I'd say more like 2017. I don't think they are great but they are winning games. That 2019 Bills team was good going into great. Next year I can see the Texans being 2019 Bills

24 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I remember when that was the pervasive mantra here on these boards.   We can only win by drafting offensive players, offensive minded head coach and have to outscore  and race track every opponent on offense,   Offense offense offense as if Defense doesn't matter, totally illogical.

You remember this morning?

I have been on the Texans since early in the summer when people were saying they had traded away a top 5 pick (in next year's class). They have a good offensive line; two nice young receivers in Collins and Dell who complement each other; a good Tight End they got on a bargain deal; a decent running back and some young pieces on defense. 

At to that I think Demeco Ryans can coach and I said even if Stroud was just okay they would be a middling team. Stroud has been good and suddenly they are a playoff contender. My prediction pre-season was they'd finish 2nd in the division to Jax and be 8-9. They could even be bettet than that.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

They also have the Cardinals first round pick next year. Can you imagine if they make the playoffs and get a top 3 pick?

I don't know about that. I'd say more like 2017. I don't think they are great but they are winning games. That 2019 Bills team was good going into great. Next year I can see the Texans being 2019 Bills

The Cardinals have Houston pick you have it backwards 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No they don't. Arizona have Houston's pick. That was the trade up for Anderson they were killed for at the time but was always a good move IMO. 

Houston have Cleveland's first as part of the Watson trade and an extra 4th from that trade too.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No they don't. Arizona have Houston's pick. That was the trade up for Anderson they were killed for at the time but was always a good move IMO. 

Houston have Cleveland's first as part of the Watson trade and an extra 4th from that trade too.

Oh yeah, you're right. I had it backwards. My bad

1 hour ago, Dubie54 said:

Well after the 0-2 start they have gone 5-2, including a great win against the same Bengals team we couldn't put away last week. Stroud looks like the real deal and they appear to have two really good lines and a bunch of quality players. 

I was called out a little last week when I compared their stats in their win over TB to ours but now we have 2 weeks worth of stats to indicate they appear to have a stronger team than ours at this point in the year.

Stroud put up 356 and they run for 188 (150 for Motor!), when we passed for 258 and ran for 68. They also sacked Burrows 4 times and had 2 picks. We on the other hand had 1 sack and no picks.

Full disclosure, I didn't watch the game but caught the highlights and from what I saw they're a fun team to watch. There's a lot of enthusiasm on their sideline and they don't have the burden of being expected to do much of anything this year in their head, and appear to be having a lot of fun in the process. They have a relatively soft schedule the rest of the season, play 5 of their next 8 at home, so we'll see what happens.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401547504

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No, we just need to improve.  We already know that our season is over if we continue to play like this.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Houston plays with the fire/intensity/moxie that I wish Buffalo did.  

That’s how they played a few years ago when they lost to Houston in the wild card and the year after when they got to the AFC Championship. This team is better talent wise but you can tell the last 2 years is weighing heavy and how things change when you’re expected to win vs surprising people 

So many teams are going to go after OC Bobby Slowik this offseason. Texans have a bright future but that was the fear in Buffalo for so long. Would the OC get a HC job right in the middle of developing a QB. Lucky for us Josh got 4 full seasons in the same offense. Texans might lose Slowik after one year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So many teams are going to go after OC Bobby Slowik this offseason. Texans have a bright future but that was the fear in Buffalo for so long. Would the OC get a HC job right in the middle of developing a QB. Lucky for us Josh got 4 full seasons in the same offense. Texans might lose Slowik after one year.

Not sure this is going to be the case especially since Stroud was a top prospect for a reason. But certainly coaching is a factor for a rookie QB that might end up having the best season ever under those circumstances.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Good balls don't hang too low or high...right in the in between.   When you see a QB age and body is starting to break down, the balls will hang a little lower.  It's not as nice anymore and can get picked easier and those hurt.

Do your balls hang low, do they wobble to and fro....

• Haha (+1) 1

Both Ryans and Pierce are defensive minded guys, so hopefully their success helps coaches on that side of the ball get a fair shake for HC gigs. 

Defense has played very well league wide this season after it was assumed that you didn't really need a good defensive coach and offense was all that mattered. 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Both Ryans and Pierce are defensive minded guys, so hopefully their success helps coaches on that side of the ball get a fair shake for HC gigs. 

Defense has played very well league wide this season after it was assumed that you didn't really need a good defensive coach and offense was all that mattered. 

I really like Ejiro Evero as a HC candidate. This year's defense in Carolina notwithstanding, he coached some good defenses in Denver. Also Lou Anoramo in Cincinnati. Both of those guys will get interviews this offseason.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

As a fellow Houstonian Bills fan, i have 100% changed my mind on the Texans after they let Cal McNair "stand in the corner" and fired Jack Easterby, Lovie Smith and Culley.  Texans are a great team to root for now with a lot of draft capital still from the D Watson trade.  Stroud is a legit MVP candidate, certainly front runner for ROY and Demeco Ryans as coach of the year.

I still can't believe the NFL let them hold on to those 3 #1s, after discovering the Texans put him up in those hotel rooms, essentially enabling him with that behavior. It's total BS, they got off real real easy, just paid a fine & lost a 5th round pick. 

It helps when the lawyer representing the women lives across the street from the owner. 

Case

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

They're for real, playing with enthusiasm, as a team.  If the Bills continue their possum routine, i'll be cheering for Houston the rest of the year because the effort is there and they have some exciting young players

Detroit too.  I wish the Bills had as much fun as them

• Like (+1) 1

CJ Stroud is going to be a problem sooner rather than later.  He already has leapfrogged Trevor Lawrence in that division.  They are a lot of fun to watch...kinda like the Bills were in 2020.  Throwing the ball all over the place, tons of people involved.  Likely will slow down once teams get a better read on him and the offense by middle of next year, but he is for real.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

I still can't believe the NFL let them hold on to those 3 #1s, after discovering the Texans put him up in those hotel rooms, essentially enabling him with that behavior. It's total BS, they got off real real easy, just paid a fine & lost a 5th round pick. 

It helps when the lawyer representing the women lives across the street from the owner. 

Case

Sorry but you are wrong, i am not going to go through the entire Watson debate again.  Yes the Texans paid for a room at the Houstonian during covid and didnt report it under the salary cap CBA, good then nail them on that $26,000 they didn't report (which is exactly what they did) but to to take some phantom leap the Texans "enabled him" to be a sexual predator is a joke.

And lets get this straight, since Buzzbee and McNair leave in the some $ neighborhood of River Oaks what are you implying?  Buzzbee was the protagonist going AGAINST Watson, he rounded up the masseurs' and SUED Watson who was under contract with THE TEXANS!  You have zero logic embedded in your comment.

The Texans lost a pick and were fined for not reporting the $26,000 hotel bill, it had NOTHING to do with what Watson did in the room.  That is like if my company sends me on a business trip and i invite hookers to my room, I guess my company "enabled" me to do it.  Same similar illogic.  

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

bingo.  If we lost our #1 WR and RB most would be explaining away all manners of losses.  Instead, the Texans go and beat a very good team (that had its #1 WR, RB, and a great D.  

Bingo! Texans straight up beat them. I watched the whole game because I wanted to see how good the Bengals really are. If Stroud didn’t throw one of the worse interceptions of the season they would’ve likely won by double digits. All credit to them for beating an opponent that the Bills couldn’t  even contend with the week prior. 

51 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sorry but you are wrong, i am not going to go through the entire Watson debate again.  Yes the Texans paid for a room at the Houstonian during covid and didnt report it under the salary cap CBA, good then nail them on that $26,000 they didn't report (which is exactly what they did) but to to take some phantom leap the Texans "enabled him" to be a sexual predator is a joke.

And lets get this straight, since Buzzbee and McNair leave in the some $ neighborhood of River Oaks what are you implying?  Buzzbee was the protagonist going AGAINST Watson, he rounded up the masseurs' and SUED Watson who was under contract with THE TEXANS!  You have zero logic embedded in your comment.

The Texans lost a pick and were fined for not reporting the $26,000 hotel bill, it had NOTHING to do with what Watson did in the room.  That is like if my company sends me on a business trip and i invite hookers to my room, I guess my company "enabled" me to do it.  Same similar illogic.  

Watson is no saint, that's a given.

Funny how after DW had a hissy fit regarding the Texans new GM, & said he wouldn't play for them, all this came out in the public eye. 

Where there's smoke, there's fire. You may have missed it (somehow), but it wasn't just a one-time event in a hotel. It was ongoing. 

Teams go to great lengths to protect their players, until the player/team relationship is ruined. They enabled him, got off due to public perception on DW's creepy habits. Be better.

30 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

Watson is no saint, that's a given.

Funny how after DW had a hissy fit regarding the Texans new GM, & said he wouldn't play for them, all this came out in the public eye. 

Where there's smoke, there's fire. You may have missed it (somehow), but it wasn't just a one-time event in a hotel. It was ongoing. 

Teams go to great lengths to protect their players, until the player/team relationship is ruined. They enabled him, got off due to public perception on DW's creepy habits. Be better.

I am more than familiar with what happened.  I am a Houstonian member, was there this morning. 

So it happened many times?  How many massages do you think these guys get a year, 5?    Are the Texans supposed to know he was sexually assaulting women in his room? 

As for the timing, it started when Bill O Brien decided to "give away" Watson's favorite receiver, De Andre Hopkins  for an old washed up RB and a 2nd, one of the worst trades in modern NFL history and he was pissed going forward.  If there is one person to blame for it all (besides   Watson), it was the room temperature IQ Owner Cal McNair for letting , as he would later say, (I think) "let the prisoners run the jail" meaning O Brien ruin the team.  Some speculate O Brien wanted to get fired and paid off, might be true.  He was finally  fired after going 0-4 and it was too late (IMO) at that point, damage was done.  Watson played the rest of the year and AFTER the season is when he started to voice his understandable displeasure.

Back to the Houstonian, it has always been a popular place for rich athletes to hang out.  It would be a very logical place for D Watson to hang out during Covid.  As would River Oaks would be the logical place for 2 uber rich Houstonians to life.  But if that is your "evidence", you ,must be a real sucker for conspiracy theories.  Where there is smoke there is fire, wow, got me on that solid evidence.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

Their OC Bobby Slowik is another young up and comer from the Shanahan tree. At this point you'd have to be crazy as a franchise not to have someone like that as your OC or head coach. That has far and away been the easiest and fastest path to success for several NFL teams over the past few years. Rams, 49ers, Dolphins, now the Texans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.