Houston - a young team to keep an eye on

Dubie54

Well after the 0-2 start they have gone 5-2, including a great win against the same Bengals team we couldn't put away last week. Stroud looks like the real deal and they appear to have two really good lines and a bunch of quality players. 

I was called out a little last week when I compared their stats in their win over TB to ours but now we have 2 weeks worth of stats to indicate they appear to have a stronger team than ours at this point in the year.

Stroud put up 356 and they run for 188 (150 for Motor!), when we passed for 258 and ran for 68. They also sacked Burrows 4 times and had 2 picks. We on the other hand had 1 sack and no picks.

Full disclosure, I didn't watch the game but caught the highlights and from what I saw they're a fun team to watch. There's a lot of enthusiasm on their sideline and they don't have the burden of being expected to do much of anything this year in their head, and appear to be having a lot of fun in the process. They have a relatively soft schedule the rest of the season, play 5 of their next 8 at home, so we'll see what happens.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

Well after the 0-2 start they have gone 5-2, including a great win against the same Bengals team we couldn't put away last week. Stroud looks like the real deal and they appear to have two really good lines and a bunch of quality players. 

I was called out a little last week when I compared their stats in their win over TB to ours but now we have 2 weeks worth of stats to indicate they appear to have a stronger team than ours at this point in the year.

Stroud put up 356 and they run for 188 (150 for Motor!), when we passed for 258 and ran for 68. They also sacked Burrows 4 times and had 2 picks. We on the other hand had 1 sack and no picks.

Full disclosure, I didn't watch the game but caught the highlights and from what I saw they're a fun team to watch. There's a lot of enthusiasm on their sideline and they don't have the burden of being expected to do much of anything this year in their head, and appear to be having a lot of fun in the process. They have a relatively soft schedule the rest of the season, play 5 of their next 8 at home, so we'll see what happens.

Stroud be throwin some of the nicest balls ive seen in a long time.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

F@#$ the Houston fans.  They do not deserve happiness.

As a fellow Houstonian Bills fan, i have 100% changed my mind on the Texans after they let Cal McNair "stand in the corner" and fired Jack Easterby, Lovie Smith and Culley.  Texans are a great team to root for now with a lot of draft capital still from the D Watson trade.  Stroud is a legit MVP candidate, certainly front runner for ROY and Demeco Ryans as coach of the year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

They played Cinci who was without Higgins and Chase was in-and-out of the game as he was Questionable all week. Burrow had nobody to throw to and it showed. Texans barely came away with the win. Good for them, I loved it. But don't go crownin them yet. GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

Even one of their away games in indy is indoors - so 6/8 games remaining will be in a dome and 5 of those at home.  

Favorable schedule and game location yes - but losses to atlanta and carolina remind you they're a young team.  There's no one on their remaining schedule that I'd be shocked for them to beat, and also no one that I'd be shocked if they lost to.  

47 minutes ago, EffKCChiefs said:

It’s a bit concerning that you would like to know this information. 

Good balls don't hang too low or high...right in the in between.   When you see a QB age and body is starting to break down, the balls will hang a little lower.  It's not as nice anymore and can get picked easier and those hurt.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Looking at the Texan's remaining schedule, it's hard to anything less than a 10-7 record at minimum.

They also already have 3 quality wins over other teams currently in the top 7 AFC playoff picture (Jaguars/Steelers/Bengals).

Bottom line if you read between the lines, winning the division is the only way the Bills likely make playoffs this year but long term this is going to be yet another AFC team and QB situation that this current regime simply isn't equipped to contend with up there with the Chiefs, Bengals, Jaguars, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

The Bills and Texans are polar opposites right now.  There were no expectations on the Texans, so they're just coming in, playing loose, taking chances, and allowing their talent to shine.  The Bills, on the other hand, have the weight of the world on them.  They were/are expected to contend.  Everyone is saying their window of opportunity is closing.  Veteran players such as Poyer, Hyde, and Miller (and others, like Murray, etc.) are nearing the end of the line.  They are wound way too tight, and it shows in their play, particularly on offense.  Anyone here play golf?  How do you play when you are thinking intently about every swing, versus when you're loose and just "grip it and rip it?"  The Bills need to just grip it and rip it.  Play no-huddle.  Let the offense score some points.  If the defense gives up a few (which they will, given the injuries), that's fine.  Line up the offense and go score some more.

I'm not sure how to change the mentality of the Bills right now, but they still have enough talent to be among the best teams in the league, and are in their own heads right now.  The defense is limited with injuries, but Douglas and Joseph should help.  Maybe Miller will improve as he works his way back.  I've always been a McDermott supporter and I know that many on this board are ready for him to be shown the door.  Maybe the message is getting stale and a fresh new approach is needed.  That said, I'm willing to see how this season plays out - it's still early and the Bills are in the mix at 5-4 and will be even more so if they beat Denver tonight to get to 6-4.  The all-world Bengals are also 5-4, coming off a loss.  The all-world Ravens are 6-3 and coming off a loss and will be only 1 game ahead of the Bills if the Bills win tonight.

Realistically, because of the logjam in the AFC, and the Bills having so many conference losses, the Bills will lose out on AFC wild-card tiebreakers.  They need to focus on winning the East.  Despite the loss to NE, the Pats are terrible.  The Jests will go nowhere with Zach Wilson at QB.  Even if Rodgers comes back, it will be too late.  The Dolphins are front-running pretenders.  The Bills beat them once and can/should beat them again.  So the Bills need to find a way to hang within one-game of the Fins, as they currently are, and can take the division and make the playoffs in the final game of the season on January 7.  After that, in a single-elimination tournament, anything can happen.  I realize that I'm taking the glass half-full approach at this point, but what's the point in the opposite approach?

Edited by msw2112

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

The Bills and Texans are polar opposites right now.  There were no expectations on the Texans, so they're just coming in, playing loose, taking chances, and allowing their talent to shine.  The Bills, on the other hand, have the weight of the world on them.  They were/are expected to contend.  Everyone is saying their window of opportunity is closing.  Veteran players such as Poyer, Hyde, and Miller (and others, like Murray, etc.) are nearing the end of the line.

I'm not sure how to change the mentality of the Bills right now, but they still have enough talent to be among the best teams in the league, and are in their own heads right now.  The defense is limited with injuries, but Douglas and Joseph should help.  Maybe Miller will improve as he works his way back.  I've always been a McDermott supporter and I know that many on this board are ready for him to be shown the door.  Maybe the message is getting stale and a fresh new approach is needed.  That said, I'm willing to see how this season plays out - it's still early and the Bills are in the mix at 5-4 and will be even more so if they beat Denver tonight to get to 6-4.  The all-world Bengals are also 5-4, coming off a loss.  The all-world Ravens are 6-3 and coming off a loss and will be only 1 game ahead of the Bills if the Bills win tonight.

Realistically, because of the logjam in the AFC, and the Bills having so many conference losses, the Bills will lose out on AFC wild-card tiebreakers.  They need to focus on winning the East.  Despite the loss to NE, the Pats are terrible.  The Jests will go nowhere with Zach Wilson at QB.  Even if Rodgers comes back, it will be too late.  The Dolphins are front-running pretenders.  The Bills beat them once and can/should beat them again.  So the Bills need to find a way to hang within one-game of the Fins, as they currently are, and can take the division and make the playoffs in the final game of the season on January 7.  After that, in a single-elimination tournament, anything can happen.  I realize that I'm taking the glass half-full approach at this point, but what's the point in the opposite approach?

Final paragraph are realistic expectations, all imo except maybe the Dolphins being pretenders.

18 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

They played Cinci who was without Higgins and Chase was in-and-out of the game as he was Questionable all week. Burrow had nobody to throw to and it showed. Texans barely came away with the win. Good for them, I loved it. But don't go crownin them yet. GO BILLS!

And the Texans were without their #1 WR and RB. But they did lose to the Panthers a few weeks ago. Wild ride indeed.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

And the Texans were without their #1 WR and RB. But they did lose to the Panthers a few weeks ago. Wild ride indeed.

bingo.  If we lost our #1 WR and RB most would be explaining away all manners of losses.  Instead, the Texans go and beat a very good team (that had its #1 WR, RB, and a great D.  

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Final paragraph are realistic expectations, all imo except maybe the Dolphins being pretenders.

The Dolphins are certainly not a bad team.  They have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and particularly on offense.  I just don't think they're a legitimate Super Bowl contender.  The best teams that they played, the Bills and Chiefs, handled them pretty easily.  The final score against the Chiefs was close, but not really indicative of how the game went.  So I'm not saying they're a terrible team - I just think they're not as good a team as their record or "power ranking" indicates.  They are vulnerable, and the Bills, as poorly as they've played, can still catch them for the division.  That said, a lot has to happen before then.  The Bills need to get out of their own way and start playing to their ability.

And back to the original point of the thread, in order to start playing to their ability, the Bills need to play like the Texans are playing - loose, aggressive, and as if there are no weighty expectations.

Edited by msw2112

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

As a fellow Houstonian Bills fan, i have 100% changed my mind on the Texans after they let Cal McNair "stand in the corner" and fired Jack Easterby, Lovie Smith and Culley.  Texans are a great team to root for now with a lot of draft capital still from the D Watson trade.  Stroud is a legit MVP candidate, certainly front runner for ROY and Demeco Ryans as coach of the year.

They are fun to watch and playing great football right now.  The future is extremely bright for the Texans.  Stroud looks like he will be a top 5 QB and hes playing like one right now.  Get him a true #1 WR.

I don't know if the city has noticed what they have.  There is minimal buzz about the Texans.  My colleagues are still talking about the Astros and hyped because the Rockets aren't mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet.  

Texans fans are mild at best.  They make Miami fans look like die hards.  I think most of them checked out after the Oilers moved.  They do not appreciate what they have right now and its special.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

Stroud is playing better than any QB in the NFL right now.  

Their offensive plays are well drawn up.  

I would say Dak is playing just as well as Stroud. What Stroud is doing as a rookie is pretty special.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

They are fun to watch and playing great football right now.  The future is extremely bright for the Texans.  Stroud looks like he will be a top 5 QB and hes playing like one right now.  Get him a true #1 WR.

I don't know if the city has noticed what they have.  There is minimal buzz about the Texans.  My colleagues are still talking about the Astros and hyped because the Rockets aren't mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet.  

Texans fans are mild at best.  They make Miami fans look like die hards.  I think most of them checked out after the Oilers moved.  They do not appreciate what they have right now and its special.

You are correct, Texans are in damage control and they deserve to be.  I think the Texans squandered a lot of inherent good will in this city.  Texans sold out every game until their demons start coming out of the closet (Watson fiasco, the Elmer gantry like charlatan Jack Easterby,  Bob McNair dies and his doofus son takes control, hire brain dead David Cully followed by has been Lovie Smith.  Football in this city has been an embarrassment for several years and FINALLY they have righted the ship. 

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Just wondering, why do you not think the dolphins are pretenders? Is it because of the threat of scoring? 

They have only lost to Us, the Chiefs in a one score game and the Eagles.  To me that speaks for itself.  The offense is the real deal.  They beat the Broncos by 50 points, right now we are favored by 7 and I would take any win.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

At this point the only hope I have for the Bills to make the playoffs is by winning the AFC east. Stay within 1 game back of Miami and win division the final game of the season. If Jets can split with Miami would be huge for this team.

The Jets defense would have to play the game of their lives for them to beat the Fins. The way the Dolphins can score I can't see a Zach Wilson led offense keeping up.

2 minutes ago, MPL said:

Texans have a defensive head coach so they have absolutely no shot. That's what Colin Cowherd would say, right? 

I remember when that was the pervasive mantra here on these boards.   We can only win by drafting offensive players, offensive minded head coach and have to outscore  and race track every opponent on offense,   Offense offense offense as if Defense doesn't matter, totally illogical.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.