Should Dorsey come down to the sidelines?

Buffalo Barbarian

DORSEY location  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Booth or sideline

30 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I used to be an OC for a high school team (went to two state finals)... best place for an OC is in the box so they can see the field. You can better see gap alignments, coverages, etc. 

With today's tech, he can see the aerial view from the sideline on his tablet.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Im not a fan of Dorsey or his system but hes not going anywhere during the season. Matt Canada of the Steelers was made to come to the sidelines and their offense is doing better since he did. Our Offense should be spectacular but its misfiring like crazy, maybe if Dorsey comes down, the offense comes up by a score a game , which theoretically would make us undefeated.

I worry that some of Dorsey's psycho personality may rub off on Allen, make him more hyper and go against the "low positive" (whatever the heck that is supposed to do).

But yea, Brady isn't helping much on the sidelines. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

So we'll see shots of Dorsey chucking iPads & screaming while Josh stares into space. Like Bill O'Brien & Mac Jones:

(All kidding aside, I get your point. How could it get worse, unless we see McD strangling Dorsey on the sideline)

This is the type of fire we need to see from the coaches.  If no mid season firings are going to happen, a good strangling or sideline brawl might motivate them and get the anger out.  Maybe McDermott can show off his wrestling moves and make Dorsey tap out.  Would be better entertaining than what we have been watching 

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

With today's tech, he can see the aerial view from the sideline on his tablet.

They only get still pictures on those tablets during the game. There was a great article in SI this week that talks about this and a lot more.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/11/09/dolphins-nfl-sideline-support-staff-daily-cover

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dorsey's offense is touted as super complex......and yet it looks like a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream most of the game.

Very little motion.  Not enough play action.  Delayed handoff draws.  No scheming players open in space to maximize their talents.

It sounds like it is super complex because every receiver has a ton of option routes. So nobody knows where anybody is going. 

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

If McD can shake his Peterman-like insistence that Dorsey's doing a good job when he's not, then Dorsey will be back on the field as a QB coach somewhere else next season and won't have a choice.  

That's if McD even survives if he can't put up something better than a drought era losing record alongside a playoffs swing-and-a-miss with Allen at QB.  ... after candidly stating that he doesn't know how to coach his offense up.  

Let's see if we can even win tonight.  This should be a 14 point plus win.  

If not, ... LOL ...

You seem to just have been traumatized by Peterman.  It's ok to let things go man. 

Your negativity is just amazing. 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I used to be an OC for a high school team (went to two state finals)... best place for an OC is in the box so they can see the field. You can better see gap alignments, coverages, etc. 

I sure think so too, but many NFL OCs are on the sidelines. I wonder what's the overall % of each.

50 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dorsey's offense is touted as super complex......and yet it looks like a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream most of the game.

Very little motion.  Not enough play action.  Delayed handoff draws.  No scheming players open in space to maximize their talents.

Players seem to have a hard time picking it up too. Perhaps it’s the RPOs and option routes?

35 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You seem to just have been traumatized by Peterman.  It's ok to let things go man. 

Your negativity is just amazing. 

Way to not even remotely get the point.  

Nice work.  That takes some doing to get from the Croix of what was stated to that.  

😉

(there aren't many serious replies to this post)

Dorsey should stay in the box.  The vantage point can't be replaced by still images on a tablet, and you're certainly not getting the birds eye view insights at turf level.

Daboll and Josh were lackluster when Daboll was on the sideline. It wasn't until Daboll went upstairs that Josh really came about. I expect the same dynamic would come to play for Dorsey/Josh.

Aside: Daboll was a raging screamer at Josh. Getting him upstairs defused that.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Im not a fan of Dorsey or his system but hes not going anywhere during the season. Matt Canada of the Steelers was made to come to the sidelines and their offense is doing better since he did. Our Offense should be spectacular but its misfiring like crazy, maybe if Dorsey comes down, the offense comes up by a score a game , which theoretically would make us undefeated.

Be easier for the players to punch him out

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Maybe Dorsey was never the right guy to begin with.  

Maybe McD won't hire the right guy because that guy would be a candidate to replace him. 

Simply because "Josh likes him," doesn't mean he's competent.  

That's the problem with this whole "culture" thing.  It's like a fraternity, but a fraternity in and of itself is not a good business model.  Competence is still needed.  Fraternities, aka "culture" in this case, translates to little more than blind loyalty.  

If McD hired the right guy you aren’t replacing a Super Bowl winning head coach 

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If McD hired the right guy you aren’t replacing a Super Bowl winning head coach 

No, but if we don't win the Super Bowl because of conflicts between the competent OC and McD, which is far from being a reach, you might very well.  

McD's never going to hire someone that if things don't go right has a chance to succeed him.  

Communication between QB coach (on sideline) and Ken Dorsey has got to be top notch or they're sht outta luck. ..... I don't stick my ass through a table but I love seeing these awesome fans do it.  ..... Rock on youngins!! ..... Please refer to my first sentence for potential intelligence response. ..... GO BILLS   

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Maybe Dorsey was never the right guy to begin with.  

Maybe McD won't hire the right guy because that guy would be a candidate to replace him. 

Simply because "Josh likes him," doesn't mean he's competent.  

That's the problem with this whole "culture" thing.  It's like a fraternity, but a fraternity in and of itself is not a good business model.  Competence is still needed.  Fraternities, aka "culture" in this case, translates to little more than blind loyalty.  

We should be way past culture at this point. 

That was a great bar in 2017 when McDermott and Beane inherited the Russ Brandon/Doug Whaley Bills. 

So it's flush Sammy, Dareus, Rex. 

But we have a QB for the first time since Jim Kelly, and he's largely propping up a pedestrian organization and team around him. 

I like Beane's candid style, but overall the drafting has left a lot to be desired. There are not many high level talents that he has drafted outside of Allen. And offensively we are plateaued because this regime got Diggs, and couldn't get anyone else. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If he’s on the sidelines, he’s directly approachable / confrontable by the players. 

I think he likes the distance / safety. Like a telephone tough guy. Shrinking violet face to face. 

He should be on the field with his guys. If he need aerial views, they can send them to his iPad. 

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Be easier for the players to punch him out

Me first 😅😅

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If he can't recognize defensive formations from 100' up, he's sure as hell not going to do any better at ground level.  Who knows?

worked for Pittsburgh 💃💃

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He should be on sideline because it is a good chance that drunk fans may try to pull him out of booth and hang him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.