Bills sign DT Linval Joseph---Elam to IR

Process

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Sure they can

No, they can't.    That's not how it works.   They are technically free to sign with any team while on a PS but they can't be "plucked" or claimed.    They can choose to stay on the teams PS or get elevated etc..   They are free agents........simple as that.   A lot of players choose to stay on PS despite 53 man roster offers because they like their longer term outlook with the team they are on the PS with etc..

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I hear ya', but I don't believe for a second that this dude has been sitting on the couch.

Aside from his positive reputation, I also don't think Beane gives him the time of day if he's not ready to roll right now.

Yea I didnt literally mean he was sitting on the couch, I am sure hes been keeping in shape, just as both noted...football shape is different. Although hearing Beane just now say he signed with Philly and played same week last year CERTAINLY changes my tune. Suit that MOFO up! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah this time more circumstance than choice though, IMO.

The few bad teams that had impactful offensive pieces that lined up for trades had circumstances change over the last couple weeks and then decided they weren't ready to give up on their seasons or wanted to keep their weapons for their next QB.    

That was a tough break for the Bills because it's not every year when you have very talented veteran WR's in bad situations with league minimum type cap hits like Adams and Hopkins while you have a cap-strapped contending team.   

Tough break for KC too.  That was the one thing I was worried about at the deadline-  KC trading for a WR.  

I’ll take our weapons over theirs this season.  Higher draft picks or not- Rice is the only guy that has a chance to be a difference maker imo.  Scantling is capable but equally as capable of failing miserably.    Skyy Moore might be the worst WR in football.  Toney can’t be trusted.  They traded for Mecole Hardman.  Justin Watson…. maybe Ross has an emergency magical stem cell procedure done?  

Their new OTs are bums.  🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s all on Reid, Mahomes and Kelce.  Doesn’t look like a repeat champions right now, but you never know

• Like (+1) 2

Mid-season, Bills spend a 3rd RD pick and 3-4M to get CB Rasul Douglas, DT Linval Joseph, RB Leonard Fournette and a 5th RD pick.

Our Defense is now back to only having one glaring hole at LB.. which with the additions of an above average CB and proven, big body 1T, should be able to be schemed up to protect. 

This is about as good as we could have hoped for being cap strapped. 

Defense can reasonably be expected to be a strength again, once these two get up to speed.  

Well done Beane.. well done!

• Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He might still com here.  Happy Days said he was and he/his source are always right.  We'll see 

there is no money left to do anything.  I imagine it was about options and they went with joseph.  Of course they could restructure someone and release someone at any moment I guess.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He might still come here.  Happy Days said he was and he/his source are always right.  We'll see 

I think Happy Days source may have hit the happy hour early yesterday.

Beane just said on WGR that with Rasul Douglas coming in and Joseph signing and Fournette signing, our cap is at a critical point. Lower than he wants it to be in the season.

Dawkins restructured giving us $4M and Joseph takes up about $3.7M of that.

I'd be shocked if Suh is signed now.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

Just now, The Tomcat said:

I believe teams are not able to restructure contracts after the trading deadline?

I believe that is only related to players via trade to make them fit under the cap to the team they are going to.  Robert Woods had his contract restructured last year after thanksgiving for no apparent reason by the titans.  Maybe because he's ***** crazy.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I believe that is only related to players via trade to make them fit under the cap to the team they are going to.  Robert Woods had his contract restructured last year after thanksgiving for no apparent reason by the titans.  Maybe because he's ***** crazy.

That may be true too.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, they can't.    That's not how it works.   They are technically free to sign with any team while on a PS but they can't be "plucked" or claimed.    They can choose to stay on the teams PS or get elevated etc..   They are free agents........simple as that.   A lot of players choose to stay on PS despite 53 man roster offers because they like their longer term outlook with the team they are on the PS with etc..

I was agreeing with you that they need input/consent 

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know this is an option for them, but I don't think this is really ever done by a player. Do you know of specific cases where this has actually happened? 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Mid-season, Bills spend a 3rd RD pick and 3-4M to get CB Rasul Douglas, DT Linval Joseph, RB Leonard Fournette and a 5th RD pick.

Our Defense is now back to only having one glaring hole at LB.. which with the additions of an above average CB and proven, big body 1T, should be able to be schemed up to protect. 

Defense can reasonably be expected to be a strength again, once these two get up to speed.  

I'm just quoting this so it ends up on the next page as well. Great recap.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Absolutely love the signing.

I wonder two things:

First, which DT goes back to the inactive list each week, assuming they don't suit up five of them. Is it Ford again? If so....the Ford signing was not great. Though I suppose for them to even NEED to sign Joseph, the Ford signing ALREADY wasn't looking great.

Second, is there any chance at all that Daquon Jones can come back by playoff time? An early down interior line of Joseph and Jones would be beastly to try to run against.

The Bills defense got a lot better this week. Rasul Douglas and Linval Joseph will help that side of the ball IMMENSELY, and neither will break the bank. Well done, Beane.

People hyped up Poona Ford, but the reality is that he signed a 1-year, $2.2M contract for a reason.

Linval Joseph is getting paid significantly more than that for half a season. He's a big upgrade. Ford goes back to the bench.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I know this is an option for them, but I don't think this is really ever done by a player. Do you know of specific cases where this has actually happened? 

Most of the time they dont need to because it's worked out ahead of time before the new team "makes it official". They dont want to try to pluck someone just to get denied and they get egg on their face. So we never hear about the players that choose to stay.

But it's pretty well assumed with these vets that get signed to the PS temporarily that they arent going anywhere else, or else they would have before.

edit:

best example I could find with some quick googling was Deshawn Williams of the Bengals in 2016. But even that wasnt found out until after the season when talking to the player.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/11/cincinnati-bengals-deshawn-williams-2016-defensive-line/84227460/

Edited by DrDawkinstein

53 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

These NFL athletes are incredible. At the combine, he ran a 5.04 40 at 6-4, 328. 

At one point in my life I was a very very fit, 6'2, 160 pound, 20-something year old who likely couldn't run a 40 in 5.04. 

I am always amazed how twitchy these NFL players are. It is remarkable. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm more optimistic about Dorian Williams filling in for Milano with more help against the run on the Dline.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So, are we NOT firing him now? It’s hard to keep up. 

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

PFF Overall by Year:

2010: 53.5 

2011: 62.3

2012: 71.6

2013: 73.4

2014: 70.9

2015: 90.9

2016: 80.1

2017: 90.0

2018: 72.2

2019: 71.2

2020: 68.7 

2021: 63.4

2022: 58.9

So, a standard curve where playing time and effectiveness increased from age-22, peaked at 27, 28, 29, and began to steadily drop, steeper from 32-34 years old. 

that is good info.  here is what we currently have.

Tim Settle:  47.5

Ed Oliver: 57.2

Poonman:  60.9

Jordan Phillips: 40.5

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I'm more optimistic about Dorian Williams filling in for Milano with more help against the run on the Dline.

Agreed. That’s why 1T was such a big deal .. our linebackers are scheme fits to fly around behind a big DL that keeps them clean.  

This should allow Dorian Williams to get back on the field, unless they love what they stumbled across with Poyer at LB on passing downs. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Most of the time they dont need to because it's worked out ahead of time before the new team "makes it official". They dont want to try to pluck someone just to get denied and they get egg on their face. So we never hear about the players that choose to stay.

But it's pretty well assumed with these vets that get signed to the PS temporarily that they arent going anywhere else, or else they would have before.

edit:

best example I could find with some quick googling was Deshawn Williams of the Bengals in 2016. But even that wasnt found out until after the season when talking to the player.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/11/cincinnati-bengals-deshawn-williams-2016-defensive-line/84227460/

yea, I know..thanks... it just doesn't happen and he was talking out of his a$$

8 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I think you see this with vets with the new PS rules post covid. Where a guy like Fournette, AJ Klein, or even Manzc might prefer the Buffalo practice squad. But a young guy in the league will almost always take his shot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.