Realistic Trade Prediction: Levi Wallace

BillsFanForever19

There's been so many "Trade for this guy" posts being made lately. And while it's fun to think of a Davante Adams, Derrick Henry, or Saquan Barkley on the team - it's very unrealistic.

With the amount of available cap space we have right now, next offseason, and the amount of FA's we have to re-sign or replace, Beane's not going to spend a lot of money AND give up prime Draft picks. We can argue over whether that's wise or not. But it doesn't change the fact that it's simply not how Beane operates.

Which led me to thinking, knowing their MO - who would be the most realistic Trade option for this team? And to me, like it or not, it's clearly Levi Wallace.

We're thin at CB. McDermott (for whatever reason) seems to believe that it's impossible for a new player to come on to this team and get his Defense down. Time and again, if we make a move on Defense, it's for someone who's been here before.

Last season, when we needed help, we traded for Dean Marlowe and brought back A.J. Klein. This season with everyone available to us we chose to bring back... Josh Norman. 

Levi was moved on from because we wanted to get better on the opposite side of Tre White. But with Tre going down and Kaiir Elam downright unplayable, I envision them turning back to Levi to provide, at least, another CB to the rotation of Dane and Kaiir. 

Taking into account how he's performed in Pittsburgh, Joey Porter Jr. starting to come into his own, and what he's paid, the cost would be in the area that Beane would feel comfortable and I'd bet McDermott would welcome his return, given the situation.

I'm sure this will be met with vomit emoji's and eyerolls. But when it comes to how they operate and where we need help, I expect this will be a move they'd want to make. Again... like it or not.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's been so many "Trade for this guy" posts being made lately. And while it's fun to think of a Davante Adams, Derrick Henry, or Saquan Barkley on the team - it's very unrealistic.

With the amount of available cap space we have right now, next offseason, and the amount of FA's we have to re-sign or replace, Beane's not going to spend a lot of money AND give up prime Draft picks. We can argue over whether that's wise or not. But it doesn't change the fact that it's simply not how Beane operates.

Which led me to thinking, knowing their MO - who would be the most realistic Trade option for this team? And to me, like it or not, it's clearly Levi Wallace.

We're thin at CB. McDermott (for whatever reason) seems to believe that it's impossible for a new player to come on to this team and get his Defense down. Time and again, if we make a move on Defense, it's for someone who's been here before.

Last season, when we needed help, we traded for Dean Marlowe and brought back A.J. Klein. This season with everyone available to us we chose to bring back... Josh Norman. 

Levi was moved on from because we wanted to get better on the opposite side of Tre White. But with Tre going down and Kaiir Elam downright unplayable, I envision them turning back to Levi to provide, at least, another CB to the rotation of Dane and Kaiir. 

Taking into account how he's performed in Pittsburgh and what he's paid, the cost would be close to nothing. 

I'm sure this will be met with vomit emoji's and eyerolls. But when it comes to how they operate and where we need help, I expect this will be a move they'd want to make. Again... like it or not.

The Steelers won again yesterday and are a 1/2 game out of first in their division at 4-2. Why would they be sellers and trade a guy who got 72% of their defensive snaps? Why are the Bills more natural buyers than them?

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Steelers won again yesterday and are a 1/2 game out of first in their division at 4-2. Why would they be sellers and trade a guy who got 72% of their defensive snaps? Why are the Bills more natural buyers than them?

They've been ramping up Joey Porter Jr. to take over that spot. And although Wallace started yesterday, Porter received more snaps than him yesterday for the first time.

Fans in Pittsburgh are starting to turn on Wallace (much like we did). If they feel their 4th CB can take on the role of 3rd, he may be expendable to them with Patrick Peterson and Joey Porter Jr. as starters.

https://stillcurtain.com/posts/steelers-levi-wallace-shows-why-most-unplayable-cornerback-in-nfl-01hdcmdtj3z5

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We did but he's better than Dane Jackson who has regressed. Toss in no Tre White we've got questions on both outside CBs.

If he has his nose in front of Jackson then it’s a photo finish….… The Steelers fans don’t rate him….

If they want to bring him in for a swap  of 2025 Day 3 picks. then so be it … I don’t expect it to be a needle mover ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

If he has his nose in front of Jackson then it’s a photo finish….… The Steelers fans don’t rate him….

If they want to bring him in for a swap  of 2025 Day 3 picks. then so be it … I don’t expect it to be a needle mover ..

Levi isn't great but better than what think have now plus he'd be a plug and play since already knows system. Is he my top move? No as that be adding Bourne. 

I think Benford and Jackson are just as good or better.

CB trade isn’t even on my radar. Safety falls somewhere between meh and maybe? But adding another guy that’s about the same player as the guys we already have in house just doesn’t feel like something we need to move assets for. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Benford and Jackson are just as good or better.

CB trade isn’t even on my radar. Safety falls somewhere between meh and maybe? But adding another guy that’s about the same player as the guys we already have in house just doesn’t feel like something we need to move assets for. 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's not an upgrade from Benford or Jackson 

May not be an upgrade, but we're 1 injury away from a guy we don't want to even put on the field.

And if that happens, we're putting who in when Benford and Elam need a breather? Ja'Marcus Ingram? Josh Norman?

And with a rotation we can rely on, we can keep Benford and Jackson fresh. Jackson hasn't been performing at a real high level either. If Wallace isn't an upgrade, it's at least another CB at around the same level as him.

Not every move is made as an upgrade or replacement over Starters. And we tend to make more moves as insurance and depth than we do those kind of moves.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doesn’t make us better in the starting lineup. Helps depth.

I don't even think he is better than Elam from what I have seen as his total body of work. Sure he didn't look great covering Ridley in his first game action in months but I don't think a lot of corners look good covering Ridley.

Wake me up when Beane brings in anyone meaningful, who can give us energy or be more talented than the in house replacements for our injured defenders or an underachieving starter. He’s made one trade deadline deal that actually helped last year with Hines. That’s been his only deadline transaction in 5 years. I’m not optimistic.

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

From what I've seen, he's the same guy he's always been.

So, yes.

I wouldnt say he was ever a superstar but he was more than serviceable here for a few years.    I think they got a cheaper version of him in the draft in Dane Jackson, as such they let him walk in Free Agency.   That said, I think he reached his ceiling here and is struggling in Pittsburgh right now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

They've been ramping up Joey Porter Jr. to take over that spot. And although Wallace started yesterday, Porter received more snaps than him yesterday for the first time.

Fans in Pittsburgh are starting to turn on Wallace (much like we did). If they feel their 4th CB can take on the role of 3rd, he may be expendable to them with Patrick Peterson and Joey Porter Jr. as starters.

https://stillcurtain.com/posts/steelers-levi-wallace-shows-why-most-unplayable-cornerback-in-nfl-01hdcmdtj3z5

Good, I got Frank from Aliquippa on the line and I'm ready to deal

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I wouldnt say he was ever a superstar but he was more than serviceable here for a few years.    I think they got a cheaper version of him in the draft in Dane Jackson, as such they let him walk in Free Agency.   That said, I think he reached his ceiling here and is struggling in Pittsburgh right now.

Yes, he did. And don't get me wrong - I'm not looking at him as some sort of savior. 

But we're over here signing Josh Norman. Tre's hurt and Elam has been a player they prefer not to have on the field. If something happens to Benford or Jackson, we're relying on him and/or Ja'Marcus Ingram. 

What Levi provided for us in the past is about the best you can hope for right now. Especially with a regime that (at the very least on the Defensive side of the ball) feels that learning the playbook midseason is futile and leans EXTREMELY heavy towards plug and play players who have experience in the system.

Wallace would give us a 3rd Outside CB who is at least serviceable in our system. Hopefully to only provide more in relief, but (at least slightly) better insurance in the event of another injury. Not every move is made to upgrade a starting position, way more moves are done for depth and insurance.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

There is no way the Steelers would trade a starting CB when they are currently in a playoff position. Even if they think he’ll be depth/first off the bench they won’t trade him.

Joey Porter Jr. was drafted to take over his starting position and he's catching on fast. Levi started the last game, but Porter ended up taking more snaps than him.

If they feel comfortable with the depth behind Peterson and Porter to step up to the 3rd and 4th spots - he may be able to be had for a pick. Some people covering the team have thought the same thing:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/10/25/23931240/4-perfect-trades-for-the-steelers-to-make-before-the-deadline-dan-moore-donte-jackson

https://atozsports.com/pittsburgh/steelers-trade-rumors-cb-levi-wallace/

How have we gone this far without mentioning that the Steelers might be good? How are the 4-2 Steelers already selling their CB depth? I don't hate it in a void, but that division is the true meat grinder division in football right now. I don't see them getting rid of their CB depth while everybody waits for potential QB cicada Joe Burrow to wake up. Plus Lamar. Is there some unhappiness that I'm unaware of? Why would the Steelers be shopping him?

Edited by Nelius

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, he did. And don't get me wrong - I'm not looking at him as some sort of savior. 

But we're over here signing Josh Norman. Tre's hurt and Elam has been a player they prefer not to have on the field. If something happens to Benford or Jackson, we're relying on him and/or Ja'Marcus Ingram. 

What Levi provided for us in the past is about the best you can hope for right now. Especially with a regime that (at the very least on the Defensive side of the ball) feels that learning the playbook midseason is futile and leans EXTREMELY heavy towards plug and play players who have experience in the system.

Wallace would give us a 3rd Outside CB who is at least serviceable in our system. Hopefully to only provide more in relief, but (at least slightly) better insurance in the event of another injury. Not every move is made to upgrade a starting position, way more moves are done for depth and insurance.

Agree.  I think he has played poorly this year for the Steelers but I also think he is miscast in Austin's 3-4 attacking defense.   He is a zone corner through and through.  He isnt going to be a world beater playing in a man heavy defense.

The only hesitance I'd have with Levi is giving up a pick for a player on an expiring contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.