Dawson Knox - wrist surgery

NewEra

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I understand the Prisoner of the Moment stuff to a degree, because Knox has had a few key drops lately.

However...any kind of notion that this somehow makes the Bills offense better seems ridiculous to me. 

Drops or not, Dawson Knox is a good player for the Bills. A good all-around tight end, and likely the Bills' best blocking tight end by a significant margin.

Losing him hurts in the run game, it hurts personnel multiplicity, and it hurts depth.

This does NOT make the Bills offense better, and it seems foolish to suggest that it somehow does.

just another moment in “we hate every bill at some point” illness. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

how.  They want to run the ball and play more physical upfront with two tight ends.  They spent the entire offseason working on it.

You need an above average o line to do that, not just a couple tight ends.   The Bills have never had a good oline for Josh Allen. He doesn't need one evidently. Why does he need a clean pocket when he runs around so well?  Besides, the d line is so much more important and still needs work. Maybe another new RB will fix everything.

P.S. I couldn't find the sarcasm font. Cook looked good yesterday, one of the few bright spots imo.

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I've mentioned this before but he has a broken bone, plus torn ligament & cartilage. I was surprised he has been playing at all.

Also this might sound callous but I take this as a positive. We need undependable players to stay off the field. Kincaid and Morris catch the ball.

Well, I'm sure the injury contributed to his un-dependability, at least this time.  Has to be very difficult to grip a football with those injuries.

By the way, Knox is a solid blocker, hopefully his replacements can step up there.  

20 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Is he going to IR ? ... We've gotten keep the streak going

I believe so, I heard he may be out the rest of the season.  I personally hope not. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Wow. When did Knox become hated around here? He has four drops on the season. Yes, that’s most in the NFL for TEs. By one. Here are some guys with 3:

Mark Andrews

Sam Laporta

TJ Hockenson 

Evan Ingram. 

Even Mr. Swift has two.

I suppose those fans would also be happy if their starting TE needed surgery. 

WTF is wrong with this place? 

Those are the most targeted TEs in the league.  Knox has 28 targets-  

are you happy with knoxs play this year?

I get that you’re a fan of the guy….,but he’s failing miserably in trying to live up to his contract this season.  He just can’t be trusted imo.  

knox should now be TE2/blocking TE going forward.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsUberAlles said:

Speak for your self. I am heading towards 10% bodyfat and fitness competitions.

I'm headed toward the sugar. Congrats btw

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

I’ve been cussing him out but I didn’t know about the injuries. That would explain the ineffectiveness. 

According to my doctor, I’m one of the fat guys 😩

Me too man. I ate a whole box of Debbie's in two days. The whole time telling myself I'm an idiot lol. To be honest tho, I haven't bought zebra cakes in years. So there's that I guess. 

Knox only got open for the TD because Murray tackled the DB.  🤣

Kincaid is showing an ability to make himself open, but Josh seems to look for him mostly on early downs. If Kincaid can get open in the end zone like Knox can, it will be a big help to the offense. 

I've mentioned this before but he has a broken bone, plus torn ligament & cartilage. I was surprised he has been playing at all.

Also this might sound callous but I take this as a positive. We need undependable players to stay off the field. Kincaid and Morris catch the ball.

He had that brace on his wrist a few weeks ago when they showed him at Sabres game.

Thanks for continuing to share updates/info from your source.

Based on what you reported on Groot, I'm wondering if another L and he will be shutdown to recover.

Injuries this year are brutal, someone hit that Madden reset button

This is much less about Knox who’s a good player and much more about Kincaid who is obviously a better player and has been since he stepped into the building.

It was time to make Kincaid the primary TE target, this just makes the decision much easier for coaches and players who love Knox and are loyal to Knox.

I did not know he had this injury. Explains his drops and I feel a little bit bad for being so hard on him.

but this decision (his/team doc/McD) has maybe cost us a game or two.

Who made the decision to let him play with a busted wrist? This team is usually pretty conservative with injuries, that decision could have cost us a game.

Knox is a solid TE who’s over paid for his production, especially this year. I couldn’t care less about his salary as I’m not paying it and neither are you.  Part of his lack of production is on Ken Shotgun Dorsey and his Magic 8 Ball play calling

If they want to run 12p they can slot Edwards in which they’ve been doing all season. He will be WIDE OPEN for a TD pass in the RZ.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Though you can’t pin it directly on him, if he makes that 4th down catch we likely go on to score. Dynamic is completely different. Instead  he drops it, and pats go on to score. 

im done with Knox. 

He tried to play through his wrist injury, but yes he's on the field in a critical situation/he has to make that catch.

Feel bad he's hurt.  But Beane overpaid for that contract and it will bite us next year ($14.4M cap hit in 2024/>$20m dead cap). 

No timetable on return, likely he's out for year or at least regular season.

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Wow. When did Knox become hated around here? He has four drops on the season. Yes, that’s most in the NFL for TEs. By one. Here are some guys with 3:

Mark Andrews

Sam Laporta

TJ Hockenson 

Evan Ingram. 

Even Mr. Swift has two.

I suppose those fans would also be happy if their starting TE needed surgery. 

WTF is wrong with this place? 

Someone already pointed out that drop percentage is really what matters, but also drops are not recorded the way we normally think of them. Knox wasn't officially logged with a drop yesterday, presumably because the defender impacted the catch, but anyone who watched that game knows it was a drop. His own poor technique led to the ball hitting the ground more than the defender's play.

Overall he has just not been a dependable pass catcher this year. Allen has a 44.0 passer rating targeting him. It's brutally bad.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm headed toward the sugar. Congrats btw

Me too man. I ate a whole box of Debbie's in two days. The whole time telling myself I'm an idiot lol. To be honest tho, I haven't bought zebra cakes in years. So there's that I guess. 

85% Dark chocolate and Dole Whip are my 2 indulgences. Other than that I eat no processed foods and everything is a single ingredient.

Gotta live a little bit after all haha

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...that is rough...dude is a trooper trying to play through that, but it's obvious he wasn't right.

But why is he on the field in such condition? Or why don’t the coaches know? Or, if they do, why setup plays to the hurt guy two games in a row on critical 4th downs in the 4th quarter!?!? Infuriating.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Knox is a solid TE who’s over paid for his production, especially this year. I couldn’t care less about his salary as I’m not paying it and neither are you.  

Ridiculous statement; regardless of who's paying, the team has a salary cap. Money wasted is money that could've/should've  been better spent elsewhere. Maybe the oline, LB, CB, WR2 ? 13 million probably could have bought 2 good players at those positions.

3 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

But why is he on the field in such condition? Or why don’t the coaches know? Or, if they do, why setup plays to the hurt guy two games in a row on critical 4th downs in the 4th quarter!?!? Infuriating.

Because every other TE is hurt. 35% of Knox is better than some PSquad jobber

Just now, Turk71 said:

Ridiculous statement; regardless of who's paying, the team has a salary cap. Money wasted is money that could've/should've  been better spent elsewhere. Maybe the oline, LB, CB, WR2 ? 13 million probably could have bought 2 good players at those positions.

Knox is making 6.4m this year, that is dirt cheap. He’s like the 16th highest paid TE. Sorry he has been hurt all year, turning on the player if definitely a rational response 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Well, I'm sure the injury contributed to his un-dependability, at least this time.  Has to be very difficult to grip a football with those injuries.

Sure, he's typically a less than dependable pass catcher but this year has been the worst since his rookie season. It's possible the wrist injury is part of the cause. But that only explains the past two games. And the drop he had on 4th down yesterday was because he tried to trap the ball against his body instead of extending his hands out. Technique, not ability.

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Because every other TE is hurt. 35% of Knox is better than some PSquad jobber

Knox is making 6.4m this year, that is dirt cheap. He’s like the 16th highest paid TE. Sorry he has been hurt all year, turning on the player if definitely a rational response 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

I'm not turning on him, I've always thought he has poor technique catching the ball. 

His new contract is 13 per for the next 4 years, laughable for his talent set. He is avg at best and benefits from Allen being his qb, same as Davis. Let's hope the Bills don't re-sign him to a ridiculous contract as well.

I'm down on Knox too but losing him is a huge blow. People who think we will be better are crazy. Knox is the most athletic TE the Bills have probably ever had.  Kincaid is in no way capable of being TE#1 now and maybe never. 

That said this is an opportunity to go air raid and just use the run to keep teams honest.  If they want to run they will need to use Bates as a blocking TE.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm down on Knox too but losing him is a huge blow. People who think we will be better are crazy. Knox is the most athletic TE the Bills have probably ever had.  Kincaid is in no way capable of being TE#1 now and maybe never. 

That said this is an opportunity to go air raid and just use the run to keep teams honest.  If they want to run they will need to use Bates as a blocking TE.

Knox is athletic, but never has been a primary target/used that ability consistently.  I'd say he's a more consistent blocker, which is how he's been used for Daboll and Dorsey.

It is a big blow, but bigger because we don't have a 2nd TE with even avg blocking ability at this level.  Kincaid, Morris (maybe avg at best) are Giseki type/receiving types.  Gilliam perhaps could be OK blocking.

Hopefully Gilliam can fill that blocking TE role.  But it will be Edwards, not Bates, if we go heavy protection sets.

Agree on going more air raid, I was on that train before Knox surgery was announced.  Key is keeping Cook involved, 5-10 carries per game and more looks in passing attack.  

This offense always played best when being more aggressive, focused on scoring as opposed to ball control/managing the chains.  Get the lead, then work our ground attack/playaction...give the defense less pressure in the process.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.