NFL Olympic Flag Football team

DrDawkinstein

8 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Injuries -

Nah, I dont think many people are worried about that. Players want a gold medal. NFL wants the international exposure.

Funny enough, most if not all of the players on the team I named will be out of the league by the time these Olympics are held

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

You guys are assuming NFL players will be the best at this. Flag football is a different game. There's a lot of talented guys that were too small or didn't go to the right school to be picked in the NFL that would probably beat NFL players. Should be interesting to see how they determine the qualifiers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

You guys are assuming NFL players will be the best at this. Flag football is a different game. There's a lot of talented guys that were too small or didn't go to the right school to be picked in the NFL that would probably beat NFL players. Should be interesting to see how they determine the qualifiers.

It's a completely different game. On offense speed is still king and guys like Tyreek or Waddle will still score. However jukes and spins aren't as effective as many times it makes the flags easier to grab. It's more a game where you have to make your hips less accessible.

Defensive game is where it's dramatically different. There's no contact. No jams off the line. Can't grab onto players. NFL players have been coaches to play a certain way their whole life and it would be difficult to unbreak their habits.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's a completely different game. On offense speed is still king and guys like Tyreek or Waddle will still score. However jukes and spins aren't as effective as many times it makes the flags easier to grab. It's more a game where you have to make your hips less accessible.

Defensive game is where it's dramatically different. There's no contact. No jams off the line. Can't grab onto players. NFL players have been coaches to play a certain way their whole life and it would be difficult to unbreak their habits.

I remember watching a televised tournament a couple years ago that included a few ex-NFL players. One player on defense hit a receiver with a big shoulder hit and was tossed

A successful QB in that tournament had a real funky looking throw and not much of an arm but was accurate 

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

You are looking at the future of the NFL, nobody can hit anybody and it's played in shorts.

I'm surprised we just don't go with a video game league. But then again some gaming nerd might hurt their wrist and/or fingers and ending up suing the league. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lamar, Tyreek, Achane, Diggs, and Jimbo Cook

35ee8a604228fc32fec3fa5007570e61.gif

i see plenty of RBs and WRs, shouldnt there be someone who can throw?  😉

3 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Robert Edwards.

LITERALLY MY VERY FIRST THOUGHT!

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Is today April 1st? Is this a joke? Flag football in the Olympics?! If it’s real, I’m LMAO.

Must be since boxing is out too

• Haha (+1) 1

At the very small rural school I attended in western Pa growing up, we played flag football in place of "real football" for cost and enrollment reasons, and it was still a ton of fun. Emphasis on speed, longer developing passing routes (hardly any pass rush usually) and barely any running game to speak of. I'd definitely want to watch this in the olympics, but agree with others upthread that it's not apples to apples that the NFL guys would automatically be the best flag players as well.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, I dont think many people are worried about that. Players want a gold medal. NFL wants the international exposure.

Funny enough, most if not all of the players on the team I named will be out of the league by the time these Olympics are held

Non-contact injuries like ACL’s and achilles are a concern though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At the very small rural school I attended in western Pa growing up, we played flag football in place of "real football" for cost and enrollment reasons, and it was still a ton of fun. Emphasis on speed, longer developing passing routes (hardly any pass rush usually) and barely any running game to speak of. I'd definitely want to watch this in the olympics, but agree with others upthread that it's not apples to apples that the NFL guys would automatically be the best flag players as well.    

Yes they are haha. I started playing 2 touch football (first time I released I’m becoming washed 😞). Now if you’re taking linemen, sure, they don’t translate. 

but any nfl skill player is murdering any regular Joe. I’m washed, former college player and can still hold my own with 20 year olds. Nfl players would clown us.

Just now, Mango said:

Non-contact injuries like ACL’s and achilles are a concern though. 

Yeah, that’s exactly why this will not happen. No team is letting their star players risk this.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yes they are haha. I started playing 2 touch football (first time I released I’m becoming washed 😞). Now if you’re taking linemen, sure, they don’t translate. 

but any nfl skill player is murdering any regular Joe. I’m washed, former college player and can still hold my own with 20 year olds. Nfl players would clown us.

Yeah, that’s exactly why this will not happen. No team is letting their star players risk this.

I think this will be a big time fail and end up being taken as seriously as the Pro Bowl. One change I would make is to make this an ironman game. Instead of 12 roster spots with 5 people on the field. I would cap the roster at 7 and make players go both ways. 

https://olympics.com/en/news/flag-football-rules-players-origins-things-to-know

Let's just say the US has Adams, Sauce, Allen, Diggs, Hill, etc. The next best country is what? Canada? Don't get me wrong, there are some good players in the league right now, but come on....I think this is a big part of why this needs to limit roster size and play both ways. Brazil, France, Spain, Nigeria, might have some basketball players who can show up and make some things at least interesting with reduced rosters. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadians_in_the_National_Football_League

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Of course they are. But the exposure and money has always topped player safety, and always will.

Fans are the most dramatic about that stuff.

There is no extra exposure for those guys. The 12 best athletes in the NFL have tons of it and all of them would much rather win a Super Bowl. They will play. But they won't play hard 1. because they are going to be miles better than everybody else. and 2. It is going to be just before the training camps, and they care about the NFL season.

All sorts of sports don't take the Olympics seriously. Most of them are the ones that make the most money. Cycling, basketball, and tennis all come to mind. Sometimes all the best show up. Sometimes they don't. But the best players in the world in those event don't show up prepped to win. Football will be no different. 

Edited by Mango

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I've played with and against some former NFL players and I don't think most people have a true grasp of just how unbelievably fast these guys are.

I've got (had) speed and quicks that few people could match, but these guys are from another planet.

Even when I was younger, I occasionally got clowned in practice by a retired NFL corner. He was almost 50 at the time. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mango said:

There is no extra exposure for those guys. The 12 best athletes in the NFL have tons of it and all of them would much rather win a Super Bowl. They will play. But they won't play hard 1. because they are going to be miles better than everybody else. and 2. It is going to be just before the training camps, and they care about the NFL season.

All sorts of sports don't take the Olympics seriously. Most of them are the ones that make the most money. Cycling, basketball, and tennis all come to mind. Sometimes all the best show up. Sometimes they don't. But the best players in the world in those event don't show up prepped to win. Football will be no different. 

International exposure for the NFL, is what I meant by that. And that has been priority #1 for Roger and crew for the last decade.

The players will want to do it just to say they are also a Gold medal winner. Same as the Basketball players. And it will likely be stars that are aging-out of the league, not guys with their entire career ahead of them.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i see plenty of RBs and WRs, shouldnt there be someone who can throw?  😉

LITERALLY MY VERY FIRST THOUGHT!

Must be since boxing is out too

No lie. Break dancing is a sport in the 2024 Summer Olympics.  

• Eyeroll 1

It will be interesting to see team sizes. If there’s 12 on a team, the possible combinations of defensive players to choose from would be amazing. I’ve coached flag for years now, and it really boils down to athleticism and how fast you can track the ball. Watching Ochocinco play, he still gets caught quite often by a regular Joe.

Personally, I’m excited for it. It’s not “real” football, but it’s similar enough that it remains exciting, and has drastically reduced the number and severity of injuries at the youth level. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.