NFL Olympic Flag Football team

DrDawkinstein

On 10/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At the very small rural school I attended in western Pa growing up, we played flag football in place of "real football" for cost and enrollment reasons, and it was still a ton of fun. Emphasis on speed, longer developing passing routes (hardly any pass rush usually) and barely any running game to speak of. I'd definitely want to watch this in the olympics, but agree with others upthread that it's not apples to apples that the NFL guys would automatically be the best flag players as well.    

In my hometown we had flag pediatricians.

"Hold up, hold up, hold up!  I know you're supposed to be the pro here, but 'drop your head and cough' just doesn't seem to be accurate, my Dude...and you're tryin to take notes with a thermometer...uh-oh...oh boy."

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

In my hometown we had flag pediatricians.

"Hold up, hold up, hold up!  I know you're supposed to be the pro here, but 'drop your head and cough' just doesn't seem to be accurate, my Dude...and you're tryin to take notes with a thermometer...uh-oh...oh boy."

That was funny donuts.  Not sure the ethics of dropping shorts and turn to the right and cough will make it unless in the tent.  😂

All,kidding aside, Jeremy and Joe were discussing the topic Friday morning.  Jeremy made a good point, there are already professional flag football players on highly competitive leagues.  They are better suited than some nfl guys to play that sport.  I coached it with my sons for years along with youth football. The tactics are very different.

Besides it’s disrespectful to the flag guys to just discard them for the nfl guys.  

I might be in the minority, but although I’d never substitute real football for flag, it is fun to play, coach and watch.  There’s a lot of strategy in coaching flag.  It’s very different than tackle ball.  The similarity though is it’s a lot like chess.  You keep trying to outthink you’re opposing coach and deploy you’re resources to keep opening holes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

That was funny donuts.  Not sure the ethics of dropping shorts and turn to the right and cough will make it unless in the tent.  😂

All,kidding aside, Jeremy and Joe were discussing the topic Friday morning.  Jeremy made a good point, there are already professional flag football players on highly competitive leagues.  They are better suited than some nfl guys to play that sport.  I coached it with my sons for years along with youth football. The tactics are very different.

Besides it’s disrespectful to the flag guys to just discard them for the nfl guys.  

I might be in the minority, but although I’d never substitute real football for flag, it is fun to play, coach and watch.  There’s a lot of strategy in coaching flag.  It’s very different than tackle ball.  The similarity though is it’s a lot like chess.  You keep trying to outthink you’re opposing coach and deploy you’re resources to keep opening holes.

@NoHuddleKelly12

Guns, I agree and no lie I am down with not only flag football, but Olympic flag football.

Huds knows my one and only angle was to please him comedically with my response. 

Hell, I will watch almost anything if it is competitive and played by people who know what they are doing. 

Do a search for videos of pro dart tournaments.  Holy mackerel it’s nuts.  Good stuff.

And yeah, it is very different and I am not sure how much nfl guys actually add, if anything.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@NoHuddleKelly12

Guns, I agree and no lie I am down with not only flag football, but Olympic flag football.

Huds knows my one and only angle was to please him comedically with my response. 

Hell, I will watch almost anything if it is competitive and played by people who know what they are doing. 

Do a search for videos of pro dart tournaments.  Holy mackerel it’s nuts.  Good stuff.

And yeah, it is very different and I am not sure how much nfl guys actually add, if anything.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952v0kjt13xhyqdtjqzvj

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:36 AM, KDIGGZ said:

You guys are assuming NFL players will be the best at this. Flag football is a different game. There's a lot of talented guys that were too small or didn't go to the right school to be picked in the NFL that would probably beat NFL players. Should be interesting to see how they determine the qualifiers.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Why make an Olympic sport where one country has a near 100% dominance? Nearly every professional football player comes from the United States. 

Now sure. You could of said the same thing about baseball and basketball 30 years ago. Not sure if you are old enough to remember the "Dream Team" that dominated basketball in the Olympics in the 90's.

We all know to well how the NFL is trying to go international and this is the stage to spur interest internationally.

Edited by Herc11

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

What are the differences in strategy and tactics?  I’d assume passing is a much bigger part, including ability of receivers to separate and their catching ability.  You probably want to get as many air yards as possible, to limit the amount of time someone could “tackle” you/grab your flag.  Is what the Dolphins are trying to run very similar?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.