Was Elam ok or could the Giants just not take advantage of him?

GreggTX

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

Elam drew a pass interference penalty early on, but I hardly noticed him after thar, though I did see him on the field several times. Is he starting to turn it around or were the Giants just inept?

I'm sure he was targeted as the nearest defender a few times, but we played pretty soft in zone.  I saw him in there making some tackles in run support.  

End of the day - he played every snap and we allowed 9 points so he couldn't have been that bad.  

• Like (+1) 11

Ehh. So hard to tell. The Giants weren’t even running an offense with that OL. 

I feel like we should’ve been tighter in coverage sometimes to force Taylor to hold the ball. But if we did get tighter Taylor was just throwing the quick go route.

I don’t know if we can grade that performance.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I see Elam getting bashed today on social media.  He didn’t stick out to me as playing poorly.  

He gave up a good gain early but other than that I didn’t notice him much. Played decent enough imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Quick, name the receivers on the Giants besides Waller. The Giants probably have the worst receivers in the league 

Iasaih Hodgins, I've been told on this board many times that he's amazing and we shouldn't have let him go

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Quick, name the receivers on the Giants besides Waller. The Giants probably have the worst receivers in the league 

How did he do to you? I think that was the question. Let me check. Yep, that was the question alright.  

• Haha (+1) 2

IMO he was OK.  Wasnt great, wasnt the dumpster fire he was in London. 

Though Nothing with his play screamed to me We dont need to look into this position at the Deadline. So my priorities for the deadline still remain

CB

WR

DT 1 Tech

• Agree 1

Collinsworthless made a point to say the Giants were picking on him as the weak link so I'm sure you'll see that repeated here today some.

In reality he gave up a couple plays and he made a couple plays. He looked very much like a CB that is young and hasn't seen much playtime. 

The coverage on the deep ball was very good...but the play he made that stuck out to me was very late in the game. On the last drive Taylor completed a pass to the right side. He made an excellent tackle that prevented the WR from getting out of bounds and stopping the clock. Thought that showed some real good awareness. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was definitely PI. Sometimes PI is the right thing to do.

Yeah, corners will always be extra handsy in the EZ with the clock running down, exactly as they should be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Elam had a couple really solid tackles. One of them was late in the game and kept the clock running.

However, in coverage, he was pretty bad again. 

You just didn’t notice him much because… well… Tyrod Taylor.

How was he bad in coverage?  For the two completions I saw him give up he was in the receiver’s hip pocket.  I think he allowed 3 total completions in coverage, but I’m not 100% sure.  Both were just excellent passes, IMO.  Dropped right in the bucket.  What did you notice that I didn’t?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How was he bad in coverage?  For the two completions I saw him give up he was in the receiver’s hip pocket.

When analyzing a player you can’t just look at what he does when the ball goes his way.

Especially when the opposing QB is not very good.

Watch him on every single play. He plays his leverage wrong at least 30% of the time, and he gets turned around very easily by double moves. There were several plays last night where he was straight up beaten with speed, but thankfully Tyrod is Tyrod and didn’t throw. A better QB would have picked on him over and over and over again.

He had some good moments too, but it was an extremely demoralizing performance once again considering who the Giants have at WR. I mean, we are talking about some of the worst starting WR’s in the NFL and he played below average in coverage.

Oh and on the longest run of the game (30-some yards), this was Elam. He plays angles so so so poorly sometimes and is easily blocked. 

IMG-3845.jpg

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Hard to really grade him against that passing offense.  

That said, both Benford and Elam gave up the same deep fade and only one is getting roasted for it.   Both also made good plays in coverage late.  Benford on the pass break up and Elam was stride for stride on a deep ball late.   Elam had the penalty in the end zone, but also made a quick close/tackle to keep the clock running and keep them short of a first down.  

Other than that, probably need an All-22 breakdown because Taylor was just throwing short middle of the field routes to nickel & dime us all game. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hard to really grade him against that passing offense.  

That said, both Benford and Elam gave up the same deep fade and only one is getting roasted for it.   Both also made good plays in coverage late.  Benford on the pass break up and Elam was stride for stride on a deep ball late.   Elam had the penalty in the end zone, but also made a quick close/tackle to keep the clock running and keep them short of a first down.  

Other than that, probably need an All-22 breakdown because Taylor was just throwing short middle of the field routes to nickel & dime us all game. 

Just want to add that Tyrod still has a very, very good deep ball. Easily a top-10 deep ball, if not top-5 among active QBs today. It’s easily his best trait.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Christian Benford got beat too, but I don't see people bringing it up.  When Dane was in the line up this year, he was targeted more than any other Bills defender this year.  Kair isn't as bad as people make him out to be.  Let's not forget he did a solid job in the playoffs.  There are some other big ticket Bills defenders who cost a TON of money who were invisible.  I don't see them being mentioned much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Uhh former bill and future hall of famer Isaiah hodgins?! 

All kidding aside, robinson doesn't get drafted in the 2nd round if there isn't talent there (i thought he showed some wiggle a few times against us as a solid underneath option).  Personally I kinda like Slayton as a player.  He's fast, plays bigger than his height, has some solid ball tracking, and can make contested catches.  He's a solid #2 WR on a lot of teams.  Honestly if Buffalo were to go for a playmaker at the deadline, i wouldn't hate him.  

The parris campbell signing and adding Hyatt was supposed to give them some more speed on the outside to stretch teams but, campbell has never been the deep threat type of player with his speed and Hyatt felt a bit one note in his scouting report.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Robinson, Hyatt, and Hodgins are all I know.

I wanted Hyatt this draft, Robinson is their gadget guy, and Hodgins looks nothing like he did at the end of last year. 

Daniel Jones is also terrible to be fair.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Elam drew a pass interference penalty early on, but I hardly noticed him after thar, though I did see him on the field several times. Is he starting to turn it around or were the Giants just inept?

I take nothing away from this game personally given the Giants haven't scored an offensive TD in many moons now lol.  So hard to say how well our D in general will play against a valid offense because the Giants are pretty inept.  

The thing that strikes me about Elam is how baffling it is he could be a 1st round pick. He doesn't really look like a savvy college player right now. Kinda looks like a guy learning to play defense in high school.  I get its a learning curve in the NFL but Elam to me looks like a 5th or 6th round pick at best not a 1st round. These guys should just step in and contribute at a high level right away. That being said, he was ok last night but got burned on that nice pass from Tyrod.

2 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

I've still yet to see him turn around and play a ball this year... 

Maybe ever? 

Can't recall specifically last year, but this year I've yet to see him to do so, going back to preseason. If he's trailing in coverage, he's probably drawing a flag. 

If you're trailing in coverage you're taught not to turn around and play a ball.

How anyone can have an opinion of Elams play as of right now is baffling to me. Without being able to see the A22 and just relying on the broadcast view you all are just making assumptions without any evidence to back them up.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Wandale Robinson? Isiah Hodgins? Jalin Hyatt?

5 hours ago, Kaenon said:

Robinson, Hyatt, and Hodgins are all I know.

I wanted Hyatt this draft, Robinson is their gadget guy, and Hodgins looks nothing like he did at the end of last year. 

Daniel Jones is also terrible to be fair.

50 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Shepard & Hyatt

Nerds 👻

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.