Roger Goodell said today's game was an experiment??

Bubba Gump

If the NFL is going to force teams to play overseas at an obvious disadvantage to their opponent, please inform the referees, who are dictating how the game is going to be played from the NFL offices, that the team that just got overseas, isn’t their B word, and flag them every ***** time something goes in their favor. This game had little to do with how the Bills played but everything with how they had to overcome the flags and officiating adversity 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Are you ***** kidding me?? He said they wanted to see how having a team over there for a few weeks stood up to a team travelling from the US. Boomer Esiason just said he would be pissed if he were the Bills. Basically said Goodell's "experiment" was a joke. 

F’in A a few of us on here already said this was a complete amateur move.  No way a playoff contender should be the victim of a moronic experiment like the one that was conducted today.

I don’t like blaming external factors but between the scheduling and this ref crew the stars weren’t exactly aligned in our favor.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

F’in A a few of us on here already said this was a complete amateur move.  No way a playoff contender should be the victim of a moronic experiment like the one that was conducted today.

I don’t like blaming external factors but between the scheduling and this ref crew the stars weren’t exactly aligned in our favor.

Bills were ***** the minute the schedule came out. It's kind of ironic. Roger finally got Pegula to build a new stadium. Now he is ***** the Bills as much as he can. 

Edited by Bubba Gump

Clearly, maybe arrogantly(?), Bills deep thinkers viewed traveling to London as no different than any other road game and that J’ville being there well over a week, adjusted, rested and waiting, was insignificant.

“We didn’t take care of the little things,” Allen said. “That’s on us captains, making sure that this team is ready to go. You know the opposing team, they were ready to go today, we weren’t.

Hmmmm….

Edited by I am the egg man

I’d be pissed if I was Terry.  Thx for putting my billion dollar investment’s season at risk.  Don’t know how you can objectively say the two teams had an equal playing field so does that conclusion mean the experiment was a success?  F Goodell. 

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Wait, the owners who have billions invested, don’t care about the future, but the fans (who can walk away at any point and have invested far less actual capital) do? 🤔

I mean, I dislike the Euro games, but pretty sure the owners want long term success more than fans do.  For like a trillion reasons… :beer: 

Correct.

In no way, shape or form are London games beneficial to the long-term quality of the sport.

The original goal was to expand into Europe, adding a London NFL team. Because they saw a financial opportunity. Not because it's good for the NFL. Those two things are not the same.

It would be completely absurd to have an NFL team in Europe. Because having a team that far away would put that team and the teams in their division at such a competitive disadvantage.

It's been 16 years and they still can't figure out how to do it - because it's a stupid idea. Even if they all made another billion dollars from it. The owners would benefit - but no one else would.

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

The experiment was to see about a permanent team being in London… That’s the only experimental thing they did; give a team multiple weeks there.

Can’t see what else… it’s not geographical experimenting… they’ve played in London every year since 2007 with multiple games in that City since 2013.

Not with the same team playing consecutive weeks.  There's been much made up about the Bills traveling over only on Thursday evening, but that was the same schedule Jax used the week prior.  Difference was both teams did the same a week ago.  That to me did make this rather unfair, then add to it as someone pointed out in another thread, the Bills were the home team this week so should have been given the travel advantage.

Would have been much fairer since Bills were home team if a week ago, Bills played Jax with Bills home team, then this week Jax was home team against someone ideally who played the Thursday night prior so give them extra time for travel if they choose to use it or not.

• Agree 2

The Bills should have travelled much sooner- Monday at the latest.  If they were "ordered" to not leave until Friday they should have ignored it.  One day to adjust to that time zone and that kind of travel?  No way.  

Hindsight is 20-20. 

Florio just said he spoke with Travis Etienne after the game.  Eitenne said he felt good today because they were adjusted to the time.  He said he felt much better than he did last week before the Falcons game.

I was thinking the Jet lag wasn’t going to be that much of an issue but maybe I am wrong. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Florio just said he spoke with Travis Etienne after the game.  Eitenne said he felt good today because they were adjusted to the time.  He said he felt much better than he did last week before the Falcons game.

I was thinking the Jet lag wasn’t going to be that much of an issue but maybe I am wrong. 

I have flown to England many times for meetings I never felt right until 3 days later.  The Bills should have left sunday night after the game used Monday normal film day to adapt,  f,Yang Thursday night than practicing Friday AM was a major bad decision.  Even in first class on nice  like seats the 6 hour flight and 6 hour time change impast ya crazy

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Flying that far east is brutal on the body

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

I have flown to England many times for meetings I never felt right until 3 days later.  The Bills should have left sunday night after the game used Monday normal film day to adapt,  f,Yang Thursday night than practicing Friday AM was a major bad decision.  Even in first class on nice  like seats the 6 hour flight and 6 hour time change impast ya crazy

The science says it's either 2 weeks before or right before.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Xwnyer said:

You need at least two days to lick your sores from the previous game. Not having access to your facilities and bed would not have been a good idea. If it were me I would have flown them out Wednesday early afternoon. It would give them Monday and Tuesday at the facilities with three nights rest in their own bed then four nights in London to try to adjust. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It sucks that we were put in that position and losing key guys is going to have lingering effects. Still all these games count as 1. We have to find a way to get that one and we have to stop doing this to ourselves. The Chiefs don’t lose. You just can’t keep writing off games and seasons. No matter how bad KC looks, they finish those games. There are no ugly wins but you can’t lose games that you should have. Week 1 and today, losing either is terrible both is inexcusable 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Boo hoo. These guys are professionals and are afforded support that us “regular folk” could never dream of. Its clearly not ideal but if they can’t get it together enough to play after two nights sleep,

then they need to suck it up. The injuries were brutal and the refs sucked but I just hate this “oh poor us we had to travel” mentality. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McD all but admitted they blew it in his post game. He said they'll look at everything if they have to go back again, but followed it right up by basically saying the Bills lacked energy early on and it cost them big time. The first thing he mentioned in his presser was coming out cold on Offense. Coupled with the fact that they were already at a disadvantage playing a team that got back to back games there. And it's pretty easy to see how this blew up on them. 

I kept hearing all week about how the Jags may have the disadvantage because they're not sleeping in their own beds at home. OK... These are (mostly) 20 something athletes, it's only 2 weeks, and I'm about 100% positive they had good beds over there. The entire strategy is wrapped around handling acclimation after a long flight and time change. That's it. 

Based on the result. They blew it. Because this game was VERY winnable, injuries or not. But if you're just a tick off in the NFL it matters. Everyone has talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m so angry that goodell literally admitted in an interview that it was an experiment to see if it’s fair that required losing our home game.  If you want to give that advantage to our opponent at least have it as an away game 

if they looked into it somehow and concluded it was a fair way to do things I wouldn’t have had an issue with it 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m so angry that goodell literally admitted in an interview that it was an experiment to see if it’s fair that required losing our home game.  If you want to give that advantage to our opponent at least have it as an away game 

This is what I said earlier. If they were gonna “experiment”, then the Bills as the home team game should have been played last week. 

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Boo hoo. These guys are professionals and are afforded support that us “regular folk” could never dream of. Its clearly not ideal but if they can’t get it together enough to play after two nights sleep,

then they need to suck it up. The injuries were brutal and the refs sucked but I just hate this “oh poor us we had to travel” mentality. 

These are professional athletes at the top of their craft…the margin of error between winning and losing between an average team and a good team isn’t very large.

I get what you’re going for but on the flip side of it people that are like ‘I went on vacation in Europe and I wasn’t that tired’ are kind of ridiculous too unless you had 250 pound linebackers chasing you around on your vacation 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Great points… other than the other team had a week to adjust. You don’t see that as an issue? Given that, the early trip would have been smarter. 

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

Great points… other than the other team had a week to adjust. You don’t see that as an issue? Given that, the early trip would have been smarter. 

I don’t think it’s enough time to truly acclimate leaving Monday anyway after playing a professional football game Sunday so most teams try to stick to their recovery schedule and leave later in the week. 

these guys aren’t working a 9-5 cubicle job and then flying out for a European vacation lol they’re trying to recover from a straight up battle the week before which seems to be the point that gets overlooked 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not just the jet lag and time difference.  You're on a damn plane for nearly 10 hours. Of course you're going to be wiped out.  Nice fair and equitable play NFL.  Scrub this British nonsense and let them have their soccer.

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Bills should have been there all week. They looked like they were asleep the entire first half and it cost them 2 of their best players.

Yikes not sure that you can attribute the injuries to that ? Just very unfortunate on the dreaded turf every one hates on both sides of the pond. 

As much as I’d like to hate on the NFL and Goodell, I can’t.  Jet lag isn’t a new invention that just debuted in 2023.  Jet lag is real it’s been around and most likely 90% of the people in the building have experienced it.  Someone should have seen the competitive disadvantage that we were potentially going to experience and plan around it.  I would have much rather our players came out flat and slow on Tuesday in an England practice than what I saw today which was flat, slow, and out of it on a Sunday.  That’s literally the whole reason teams practice to work the kinks out and prepare.  Jet lag was a kink that didn’t get worked out until we were more than 3 quarters through the game.

Every analyst on TV was stating how unfair it was that the Bills had to go up against this disadvantage so if they knew the Bills should have known and tried to mitigate the problems.

• Agree 1

I have no doubt that they were jet lagged. But that really doesn’t fully explain the offense’s woes. Just really poor playcalling and easy drops derailed those first few drives. Maybe the penalties were caused by those guys dragging, but not even sure about that, since I think more of the penalties were on the D.

I also thought the defense played with a ton of heart and energy, despite being ridiculously short-handed. So why did they have energy and the O didn’t? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.