Poyer OUT Sunday

Big Blitz

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

It may depend on gameplan. If the Bills had set up to use a 3 safety look and had Rapp in that role, they may keep him there and slide Lewis or Hamlin into Poyer's spot. That way you only have to adjust 1 players role as opposed to two. If they Bills are giving 2 deep looks than yes, Rapp will likely be the guy.

Who are you taking off the field for 3 safeties? Always the issue with 3 safeties.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Who are you taking off the field for 3 safeties? Always the issue with 3 safeties.

Logic would dictate that would depend on down and distance. If you're doing it in obvious pass downs the choice would likely be a DT and mix in a 4th rusher from the LB spot if needed. A less obvious pass down and it would depend on what formation the offense presents in.

WTF is with this team having players not injured during the game and finishing it but then randomly OUT the next week?  Happened way too frequently last year and here we go again...

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If we weren't playing a team that recommends using 3 safeties, I wouldn't care.  Rapp should be okay, but I don't like Hamlin having to be out there

Hamlin pretty much was the reason we lost in Week 3 last year to them...he got beat deep in double coverage on the long 50+ yard pass to Waddle where they took the lead. They might have Lewis in since he is the faster and more athletic player who can play corner in a pinch also. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hamlin pretty much was the reason we lost in Week 3 last year to them...he got beat deep in double coverage on the long pass to Waddle where they took the lead.

Josh throwing the ball into the turf with an open McKenzie standing in the endzone didn't help. Hamlin getting burned put the Dolphins in the lead but defense was not the reason we lost in week 3 last year. That week 3 game was probably the best the defense looked against Miami out of all 3 games last year. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MPL said:

Josh throwing the ball into the turf with an open McKenzie standing in the endzone didn't help. Hamlin getting burned put the Dolphins in the lead but defense was not the reason we lost in week 3 last year. That week 3 game was probably the best the defense looked against Miami out of all 3 games last year. 

I’m not sure about that.  It was only on the field for 19 minutes.

22 minutes ago, boyst said:

Someone find the stat of W-L with Poyer playing

We lose like any game he's not playing. 

Ok but that was with Hamlin and Johnson as his backups.  They are not good. Rapp is better. And how many of those games were without Hyde. 

My guess is we will be fine with Poyer. 

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

29 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Guess we find out if keeping Hamlin was a PR move or he is the next best option. 

I’m still not ready to forgive Cam Lewis for the Minnesota game. 

wasn’t that Benford who pinned the ball to Justin Jefferson’s helmet?

29 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Guess we find out if keeping Hamlin was a PR move or he is the next best option. 

I’m still not ready to forgive Cam Lewis for the Minnesota game. 

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Poyer never had issues against Miami in the past. Not sure why people think our ALL PRO safety is suddenly a liability. No offense to Damar Hamlin, but he is not good. 

Because we've seen Poyer play this year. He's been slow. Noticeably slow. Time catches up with everyone and the wall can come quickly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MPL said:

Well yeah, but in terms of allowing them to finally lose the lead, that was the play that did it. Gabe dropping a TD pass that was right in his hands didn't help either. Nor did our 3 WR set of Gilliam, Morris and Cook last year by the 4th quarter.

Edited by Big Turk

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rapp better be dialled in. At least he is a more natural replacement for Poyer. 

I do think it is a chance to bring Elam up. Have Lewis as your backup safety.

I think they same, but I was thinking Benford may fill in in spot duty in any cover 3 situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Wasn’t that Benford who pinned the ball to Justin Jefferson’s helmet?

No, it was Cam Lewis. He beat himself up about it after the game, said all the right things “I’m not a selfish player.” Also said he cried about it. Still can’t understand why he didn’t volleyball spike it with one hand rather than try to pick it off. 

Edited by JayBaller10

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

No, it was Cam Lewis. He beat himself up about it after the game, said all the right things “I’m not a selfish player.” Also said he cried about it. Still can’t understand why he didn’t volleyball spike it with one hand rather than try to pick it off. 

He will have to relive that play for years, it is a TV replay favorite.  one of the greatest "steals" off all time by a WR from a defender. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

No. It was Cam Lewis. The only reason my wife knows who he is the fact that I cursed that name for hours after that game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Because we've seen Poyer play this year. He's been slow. Noticeably slow. Time catches up with everyone and the wall can come quickly.

Which makes me think about that McDermott conversation on mic’d up during camp. I found it odd McDermott went over to Poyer to tell him how fast he looked. It was just an odd moment.

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don’t think Elam is going to go from CB 4 to playing man to man on tyreek hill.

I would be surprised if he’s active this game. Could be wrong though 

I feel like  all the talk about McDaniels O being revolutionary has not been lost on McDermott. I wouldn't be surprised if he introduces some new wrinkles to the D this week. I also feel like the answer to Miami is mixing in some man or man/zone coverage against them. That's the consensus to stopping the Cheetah isn't it, disrupting him off the line? I feel like thats Elams biggest strength, getting hands on and disrupting people off the line. This is when we need him, a roster spot is open, I think he plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The Dolphins set Hamlin on fire last December. 

Hamlin is simply not a great player. I think that fact may have gotten lost in the fray because we were (rightfully so) worried for his life and well being. I went into training camp thinking he may be a cut candidate.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McD likes his cover 3. The Patriots also had some success with it a few weeks ago vs. Miami. I think we are like always sort of a tweener with Benford having some mixed responsibilities. I believe it was reported this year he was spending more time than normal practicing at safety. 

Cover 3 for McD isn't rare. We have a lot of guys who fit a lot of roles in the back 7. 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don’t think Elam is going to go from CB 4 to playing man to man on tyreek hill.

I would be surprised if he’s active this game. Could be wrong though 

Couple of Elam's best games last year were vs the Dolphins, not like he's not familiar with playing them. I was thinking Elam would be active regardless of the Poyer news. His speed is the one aspect needed in this matchup. 

As for Poyer, it is a loss for sure. In my mind more for the communication and being in the right position. Having Poyer on a gimpy knee would have been a larger issue than playing Rapp/Hamilin/Neal. Rapp would have been signed to be Poyer's replacement if he would have left this summer thus the staff see him as good fit.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Hamlin is simply not a great player. I think that fact may have gotten lost in the fray because we were (rightfully so) worried for his life and well being. I went into training camp thinking he may be a cut candidate.

He also was so much better than Johnson at FS. He is a backup level player. You would like to have a better back up (Rapp) but you could also do worse. He is just a guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.