Joe Namath wants Jets to clean house & start over

Albany,n.y.

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Correction: they lost to the Jets defense twice

Allen gave them the game. That game was on Josh. When the Bills play them again, they better come away with a win. It will be close since the Bills are the Jets Super Bowl and they do match up well vs Buffalo. Still, I expect a win in OP.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This from a man who threw more interceptions than touchdowns in almost every season he played in and for his career and the ONLY reason why he is in the HOF is because of Super Bowl III. 

seriously, his stats are worse than trent edwards for the entirety of his career.  This couldn't be a more accurate statement.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

Namath played in an entirely different era when the rules of the game favored defenders and QBs regularly threw much longer passes than they do today, so judging QBs of that era by today's statistical measures reveals your lack of historical perspective.    

Ohh REALLY? This is too easy.

Well, here is proof you lack historical perspective:

HALL OF FAME QBs who played a majority of their career from 1965-1977:

Fran Tarkenton 342 TD, 266 INT

Johnny Unitas, 290 TD, 253 INT

Sonny Jurgensen 255 TD, 189 INT

Len Dawson, 239 TD, 183 INT

Terry Bradshaw 212 TD, 210 INT

Bob Griese 192 TD, 172 INT

Roger Staubach, 153 TD, 109 INT

Bart Starr, 152 TD, 138 INT

Joe Namath 173 TD, 220 INT ***-47*** in TD/INT DIFFERENTIAL!

PLEASE tell me how their performances as contemporaries of Joe Namath were the same... SAME ERA, DIFFERENT STATISTICS.

Joe Namath had just TWO SEASONS out of 12 with a positive TD/INT ratio.

You were going to lose this one trying to justify it by a difference of rules. I don't think you realize how old I am and how grounded in history I am.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Saleh is almost as bad a HC as Wilson is a QB.

Biggest Meathead HC in the game.

So yeah,  now Namath is right.

But they should have known that last year when Saleh was making in-season promises about keeping receipts on the media who criticized him and declaring that he was going to meet the Bills in the playoffs after their loss in Buffalo etc..    

Amazing the pass the NY media have given that dummy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ohh REALLY? This is too easy.

Well, here is proof you lack historical perspective:

HALL OF FAME QBs who played a majority of their career from 1965-1977:

Fran Tarkenton 342 TD, 266 INT

Johnny Unitas, 290 TD, 253 INT

Sonny Jurgensen 255 TD, 189 INT

Len Dawson, 239 TD, 183 INT

Terry Bradshaw 212 TD, 210 INT

Bob Griese 192 TD, 172 INT

Roger Staubach, 153 TD, 109 INT

Bart Starr, 152 TD, 138 INT

Joe Namath 173 TD, 220 INT ***-47*** in TD/INT DIFFERENTIAL!

PLEASE tell me how their performances as contemporaries of Joe Namath were the same... SAME ERA, DIFFERENT STATISTICS.

Joe Namath had just TWO SEASONS out of 12 with a positive TD/INT ratio.

You were going to lose this one trying to justify it by a difference of rules. I don't think you realize how old I am and how grounded in history I am.

I have argued this same point.  He got in for one thing.

His overall career, he was a bad QB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Pure silly to blame HC & GM for QB1-HOF(ish) going down and in chaos. I have to think they’re on the QB hotlines now but it won’t cut it. 

JA17 goes down. Allen #2 is a cluster year. 

They deserve some blame. They legit have no other option. Tim Boyle is not a viable option. They have 9 million in cap space. Trotting out Wilson each week led to a near mutiny last year. They should have done anything to get rid of Wilson. He is not redeemable in that locker room. I know they tried to sign Brett Rypian before he was promoted to the roster by the Rams, but they have no one on the PS. If Wilson continues to suck (they play on SNF against the Chiefs this week) how can you not turn to Boyle? 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have argued this same point.  He got in for one thing.

His overall career, he was a bad QB.

John Hadl had better numbers than Namath and was the best passer in the AFL- 33,503 yards passing, 244 TD, 268 INT in one less season than Namath. His only issue? He didn't win a championship as a starter even though he was a part of the 1963 team. He belongs in the Hall of Fame if they let Namath in IMHO... but I forget according to SoTier I "lack historical perspective" 😂

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

The Jets have a very good roster that was a QB away from being a playoff team.  They went out and got themselves a QB, but he suffered a season-ending injury in week 1.  Now they are screwed.

That's really all there is to it.  It's not complicated.  The Jets will be back in the market for a QB this offseason.  They'll be fine if they land one and not fine if they don't.

If something happened to Josh Allen, I would give up on this season and I imagine everybody else would too.  You can't lose your starting QB in the NFL and expect to carry on like nothing happened, unless your starting QB really sucked.  The Bills without Allen are not a playoff team.  Neither are the Chiefs without Mahomes, the Bengals without Burrow, the Ravens with Jackson, etc.  San Francisco is the only team built to survive mediocre QB play.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Everyone is talking about the Jets needing to replace Zach Wilson, but no one is stating the obvious: Rodgers is still trying to come back late in the year, so they can't bring in a threat (Cousins). They're going to waste the whole season tiptoeing around Rodgers' ego.

Even if Rodgers wasn't, the Jets couldn't afford Cousins.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

The Jets have a very good roster that was a QB away from being a playoff team.  They went out and got themselves a QB, but he suffered a season-ending injury in week 1.  Now they are screwed.

That's really all there is to it.  It's not complicated.  The Jets will be back in the market for a QB this offseason.  They'll be fine if they land one and not fine if they don't.

I disagree!!! The whole issue has been and will continue to be their offensive line, which they did not address properly. It doesn't matter... they are setting up ANY QB they start to fail.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

John Hadl had better numbers than Namath and was the best passer in the AFL- 33,503 yards passing, 244 TD, 268 INT in one less season than Namath. His only issue? He didn't win a championship as a starter even though he was a part of the 1963 team. He belongs in the Hall of Fame if they let Namath in IMHO...

I only caught the very end of Hadl's career. Loved that guy.

The list of freely available veteran QBs is pretty bad. I hear Carson Wentz, but I think he's run out of chances.

Nick Foles if he feels like playing again? That would almost certainly be better than Zach Wilson ...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Yet they also ignored on improving their offensive line which everyone felt was a sore spot after last season. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Even if Rodgers wasn't, the Jets couldn't afford Cousins.  

They have like $8 million of cap space now, they might be able to afford a prorated Cousins for this year but that said I can't see their management making that move as they already down picks because of Rodgers to lose more for a "rental" QB seems absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I only caught the very end of Hadl's career. Loved that guy.

The list of freely available veteran QBs is pretty bad. I hear Carson Wentz, but I think he's run out of chances.

Nick Foles if he feels like playing again? That would almost certainly be better than Zach Wilson ...

Sid Gilman magic... never got to see it, but they played AFL games on TV a lot back in the day in the golden age of cable TV and I couldn't get enough of them. I was out buying 1960s AFL sports cards as a kid while others were looking for MJ, Magic and Larry LOL

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I still have to wonder why the Jets thought going into the season with a 39 year old starter with Zach Wilson as his backup was a good idea. With the talent on defense and some offensive skill positions, they could be a playoff team with some Teddy Bridgewater type at QB. It now seems too late.

Instead of bringing in all of Rodgers buddies and chasing after Dalvin Cook, the Jests should have invested more in the OL and the backup QB position.   In his 22 starts in his first two seasons, Wilson has shown nothing to indicate that he's mastered the mental part of the game at all.   The 2023 first round rookies have shown significantly better football acumen than Wilson.  Tim Boyle is an UDFA who has been around since 2018.   BTW, Bridgewater was available until early August. 

• Like (+1) 2

When you hear about the "New York Media" this is what everyone is talking about.

Imagine Jim Kelly coming out and saying he thinks EJ Manuel sucks and he's seen enough.

That has to be horrific for a kid's confidence. You can never come back from that.

Dumpster fire organization and honestly ... we knew something like this would happen.

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

When you hear about the "New York Media" this is what everyone is talking about.

Imagine Jim Kelly coming out and saying he thinks EJ Manuel sucks and he's seen enough.

That has to be horrific for a kid's confidence. You can never come back from that.

Dumpster fire organization and honestly ... we knew something like this would happen.

I feel bad for Wilson in that regard. He is bad and is playing bad and now he is taking over after the entire fan base was expecting to watch a HOFer this year. 

Best thing the Jets could do is get him out of the limelight. They can’t now and that sucks for Zach

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

No reason to clean house. They’ve drafted well lately and have a lot of talent. Any team would struggle losing their starting QB a minute into the season.

well they shouldn't have been so surprised at the outcome when they took on a very aging qb.  it was a risk.

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

No reason to clean house. They’ve drafted well lately and have a lot of talent. Any team would struggle losing their starting QB a minute into the season.

If their season bottoms out then Saleh is definitely gone. As for JD it's been a mixed bag. Johnson might clean house or JD gets another shot with a new HC. He has built a pretty good defense and G. Wilson and Hall are nice weapons on offense. But there are 3 strikes working against him that could get him fired.

1. The OL is still bad.

2. He struck out badly with the #2 pick drafting Wilson.

3. 21-48 record as the GM. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.