Most Points in an NFL Game

hondo in seattle

I've seen it written that Miami could have beaten the NFL points scored record with a FG.  What am I missing?  The Bears defeated the Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL championship game.   A Miami FG would have tied the record, not beaten it.  

The Redskins were the last team to score 70+ points, tallying 72 in a game in 1966.  They went on to finish with a mediocre 7-7 record.   It was a great game by the Fins.  But it doesn't mean they're going to cruise to the AFCE crown.  

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Is scoring 70+ classless? We pull josh often. I know Denver seemed like they gave up or forgot how to play, but still Miami, figure out ways to run the clock out? Idk

I actually think they were mostly trying to run. It seemed like the broncos were giving him like huge runs in the second half. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually think they were mostly trying to run. It seemed like the broncos were giving him like huge runs in the second half. 

I just can't wrap my brain around how a team can allow so many points. Have some pride. Then that brings me to Miami. Are they really that good to impose their will like that. Idk I'm buying the hype atm. I'll be alright after I sleep on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Is scoring 70+ classless? We pull josh often. I know Denver seemed like they gave up or forgot how to play, but still Miami, figure out ways to run the clock out? Idk

they yanked Tua too with 14 min left. They also were running the ball a lot. Denver was inept in all phases. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I hope Miami chokes on the smell

of their own fart. 

A fart caused by us squishing them.

22 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I just can't wrap my brain around how a team can allow so many points. Have some pride. Then that brings me to Miami. Are they really that good to impose their will like that. Idk I'm buying the hype atm. I'll be alright after I sleep on it. 

It makes you wonder about Sean Payton's standing with the players.

Russell Wilson is everyone's whipping boy but the way Payton has chosen to publicly emasculate him might not have been received well by the team. Also in his short time in Denver Payton has negatively implicated anyone who was on the team last year.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

70 is over the top but Denver def quit at halftime.  Miami was roasting bad teams early in the year last year too then they struggled against the playoff caliber teams. 

You’ve gotta be able to stop the occasional run from a light box or Miami is tough to stop.  Their shtick gets a little less effective in the red zone when tyreek can’t take the top off the defense but they ran all over Denver in the red zone today.   

craziest part of this game was it was 21-10 late in the second with Denver getting great field possession after they stopped Miami on 4th down on their own 35

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, JJGauna said:

The Broncos are just really really really bad. They made Washington and Vegas look like real football teams. No doubt Miami is good, but they will finally be playing a complete team next Sunday.

Nah.

They are by no means a good football team, but they're also not some  historically bad team in line with their historically bad performance today. Up until today I thought they looked marginally better than they did last season. Wilson was definitely playing better, but still nowhere near good enough for what they need out of him.

When I watched the highlights, Denver just seemed to give up and put their butts in the air for the Fins. If I was Payton, I would be benching or cutting a few people. The Fins were not exactly trying that hard to score. About the only TD I thought was douchey was the deep pass by the backup when they already had 49 points. That seemed designed to humiliate to me. But instead of reacting with anger, the Broncos continued to take it. It was very similar to the Pats Sunday night massacre of the Bills in 2007. The wimpy Jauron Bills got crushed 56-10 and every time the Pats scored, Bellichick went for 2 to rub it in. Instead of the Bills getting angry, like a submissive dog they just took it.

I don't get how it's "classless" to keep scoring, when it's done in college and HS football every week. I wanted to see Miami score 80, just because it would be crazy. If you aren't going to play defense that doesn't put the onus on the other team to quit too.

Lopsided scores happen all the time in high school and college. NFL players will get over it too. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Let's not forget it was a sunny day and a 1 PM start time in Miami.  Let's not forget where the bench is placed for the visiting team.  

Not only were the Broncos demoralized, they were dehydrated.  Big whoop that the cool fish were able to blast a heat-exhausted team that wasn't that good the begin with.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Let's not forget it was a sunny day and a 1 PM start time in Miami.  Let's not forget where the bench is placed for the visiting team.  

Not only were the Broncos demoralized, they were dehydrated.  Big whoop that the cool fish were able to blast a heat-exhausted team that wasn't that good the begin with.

Yes 💯.. it’s a huge safety and competitive advantage. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

It was eerily similar to the conditions the Bills faced a year ago…heat index well over 100 on the Broncos’ sideline while the Fish were in the shade.  Everybody knew the 2nd half would be a schite-show.

At some point the league needs to mandate that this sort of “home field advantage” is not allowed.  During the month of September the Fish should only be able to schedule late or night games at home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

It was eerily similar to the conditions the Bills faced a year ago…heat index well over 100 on the Broncos’ sideline while the Fish were in the shade.  Everybody knew the 2nd half would be a schite-show.

At some point the league needs to mandate that this sort of “home field advantage” is not allowed.  During the month of September the Fish should only be able to schedule late or night games at home.

IDK, I don't want them taking away our December games or forcing us to have a dome. 

1 minute ago, flmike said:

IDK, I don't want them taking away our December games or forcing us to have a dome. 

Not the same thing.  The Fish have created an unfair environmental advantage based upon which sideline you are on.  No other stadium in the NFL does this.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't get how it's "classless" to keep scoring, when it's done in college and HS football every week. I wanted to see Miami score 80, just because it would be crazy. If you aren't going to play defense that doesn't put the onus on the other team to quit too.

Lopsided scores happen all the time in high school and college. NFL players will get over it too. 

There is no such thing as running up the score in the Pros or even college. If the players dont like it, dont let them score. And in college, they need style points for rankings so they gotta do what they gotta do.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Not the same thing.  The Fish have created an unfair environmental advantage based upon which sideline you are on.  No other stadium in the NFL does this.

Yep. The way I explain it is: In Buffalo, when its cold and snowing, BOTH teams have to play in the cold and snow. In Miami, only one team gets the sun. It's unfair.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

agreed... it's basically cheating IMO

And it is a player safety issue. God forbid anything happens to one of the big guys who baked in 115+ degree sun all day while the Dolphins are standing in the shade

I lost the tweet but it showed that after 3 weeks Tua has the exact same stats after week 3 of last season.  Like to a "T."  yards, comp% etc.

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I personally never cared about that stuff.  Are they supposed to just kneel the ball for 2 quarters or something?

2 hours ago, flmike said:

Thats a little different.  In our games both teams are affected by the weather.  In Miami games, Miami sits in the shade while the visiting team is in the blistering sun.  It's like a 10 degree difference.

2 hours ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I wondered what the field conditions were for that game. They probably would've won anyway, but I'm sure it contributed to the margin of victory.

As much as I like hosting the 'Phins in Buffalo in December, from a practical standpoint, I was relieved to see that we get them at home this week. And I'm confident that a lot of Bills fans will be willing to travel to Miami in the winter.

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

So the only thing I’ll say to this is it definitely looks really bad when your backup QB throws a 70 yard touchdown when you’re already up almost 50 points. No reason for him to throw, and especially no reason to call a pass play where you have a guy streaking down the field and catches a bomb 40 yards downfield. To me that’s a classless play call by the dolphins but other than that it was all just Denver not playing 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.