Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

6 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

My whole thing is, if Elam is a man coverage guy and we play zone mainly, then why draft him?  Some will say need, but supposedly we dont draft for need. (That's what we're told anyway . We know what they're doing but ownership like to act like the fans are dumb)  anyway I really feel like Elam would be better suited on another team instead of wasting his prime years. He was projected to be a good to great player and for some reason Sean McD...fensiveback can't get him to be even serviceable?  Something doesn't add up to me. 

It was a stupid and desperate pick. We knew Spencer wasn't a great OT and Tyler Smith was sitting right there as our RT.  Now that would've been a need.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Why is this a problem with Elam but when Sauce does it, he gets "rewarded". 

Because he has a nickname. Sauce. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It was a stupid and desperate pick. We knew Spencer wasn't a great OT and Tyler Smith was sitting right there as our RT.  Now that would've been a need.

It’s super easy to criticize with hindsight. I get that this is a discussion board but geez guys. This team has never been this good(minus the SB era) over its 60 odd years in the league. No one on this board is qualified to be a GM. At the end of the day there’s more good than bad with Beane 

Edited by AlfaBill
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

Because he has a nickname. Sauce. 

It’s super easy to criticize with hindsight. I get that this is a discussion board but geez guys. This team has never been this good(minus the SB era) over its 60 odd years in the league. No one on this board is qualified to be a GM. At the end of the day there’s more good than bad with Beane 

Elam was a square peg in a round hole. It never required hindsight to pass on him when everyone in the organization knows you run zone coverage. It flat out made no sense and clearly McDermott has failed to convert him. This organization has fully known for over 5 years it's been deficient at OL.  Enjoy your fully healthy scratched BPA.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Elam was a square peg in a round hole. It never required hindsight to pass on him when everyone in the organization knows you run zone coverage. It flat out made no sense and clearly McDermott has failed to convert him. This organization has fully known for over 5 years it's been deficient at OL.  Enjoy your fully healthy scratched BPA.

Perhaps with Elam. But there’s mention of Spencer Brown and other players as well. I’m not saying beane didn’t make an error just that it happens. We could fire beane and rehire the last gm we had. 😜

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Perhaps with Elam. But there’s mention of Spencer Brown and other players as well. I’m not saying beane didn’t make an error just that it happens. We could fire beane and rehire the last gm we had. 😜

Understand that he’s over the top negative.  He called Dorsey a moron for running draw plays when we average 7 ypc on them.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is what we know: 

We’ve seen him be solid, so at worst this is a ‘good enough’ CB to run with in emergency situations. He’s high upside, but his typical play isn’t up to the standard for whatever reason. 

Benford has been ok allowing 3 catches for 44 yards on 6 targets. 

Considering what we know Elam on the field will at least hold his own in most coverage situations, hanging on to him in hopes he realizes his potential holds more value in trading him. 

I believe in the 3-year rule for labeling a player, but it’s safe to call him a disappointment. 

Speculation on whether or not he has position flexibility might be a worth while conversation. 

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Time to change the thread tile to “Elam is inactive part trois.”

Elam is inactive for the Commanders game.

Two thoughts on this:

1) This was expected. Zero injuries coming off a big win... zero reason to change what's been in place since the season's start.

2) There is widespread belief that Elam will make his debut against the Dolphins next week due to their quick passing offense and the belief that press man coverage will be utilized by the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chargers-make-j-c-jackson-a-healthy-scratch

there might be a market for Elam.  

one one hand, i wonder if Beane's phone has been ringing at all.  I heard on the radio that the Patriots top 3 corners are out.

OTOH, if Dallas hasnt called, and now that JC Jackson might be available, maybe we swap with the Chargres.

edit:  except JC's contract is probably too mucho

Edited by maddenboy

• FireChans changed the title to Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES)

Waste of a pick. Not that he’s bad. It’s that the FO and coaching staff aren’t on the same page with this guy. He doesn’t and never did fit their scheme so someone had to give and apparently the coach has made that decision that he was a wasted pick. 

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Waste of a pick. Not that he’s bad. It’s that the FO and coaching staff aren’t on the same page with this guy. He doesn’t and never did fit their scheme so someone had to give and apparently the coach has made that decision that he was a wasted pick. 

"I just bought a dump truck!" 😊

🤨 "We live in an apartment building downtown, and you're an accountant!"

3 minutes ago, BillsUberAlles said:

I think they don't trust what he is going to give them on an every play basis yet.

McD's D is predicated on all players doing their job all the time...

I respect that probably correct assumption. And the reality is that is an awful grade for a 1st round pick in year two. If Elam’s status changes in the future, great. Right now, oh my god. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsUberAlles said:

I think they don't trust what he is going to give them on an every play basis yet.

McD's D is predicated on all players doing their job all the time...

Isn't that what most coaches want? Don't you always want your players doing their job all the time?

• Like (+1) 1

I get Benford and Elam were taken in the same draft so it kind of eases the pain of Elam not playing. However, not having him active for the first 3 games screams a mistake by Beane and CMcD. Elam has shown in the past he can play but if he’s not playing because he is a man corner instead of a zone corner then it was just a stupid pick. If he’s not playing because of poor practice habits then that’s on Elam and I get it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.