O'Cyrus Torrence.....Bills best O-lineman??

Special K

To my eye, he seemed to play the best out of the o-line group.

No penalties, handled the silent count duties, didn't notice him giving up any pressures, whereas McGovern and Brown were getting beat more often then you would like to see.

If McBeane ever decide to pay attention to the O-line, and do a massive O-line overhaul, Torrence would be the only man left standing from this group.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

His play was incredibly encouraging, and considering the competition particularly.  

What IMO was incredibly significant was that all five starting OL-men played 100% of the snaps.  THAT'S the way to build OL chemistry!!  It reminds me of our '90s OL.  You simply have to have competent healthy OL-men to be able to do that.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

He looked good against a really good set of interior defensive linemen. If this continues, he could be the Bills right guard for the next decade.

1 early o line in the first 2 round/year for the next 4 years gives Josh an extra 3-4 years on his career- imagine Josh once he is comfortable behind a good line (the time to draft oline is 3 years ago but here we are)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

1 early o line in the first 2 round/year for the next 4 years gives Josh an extra 3-4 years on his career- imagine Josh once he is comfortable behind a good line (the time to draft oline is 3 years ago but here we are)

Making the o-line a priority is essential for the future success of Josh Allen.

Torrence is a great starting point, but I agree with you that 1st or 2nd round picks need to be invested into the O-line in the next few drafts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

We’ve had this discussion here a lot of times over the past few years. It was nice to get a starting guard this year, but getting OTs is another story. The sure things at tackle go really high in the first. The bust rate from the mid first on is really high. It’s not just Cody Ford. It’s a league-wide issue.

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

To anyone who watched the OL closely: was Torrence and Morse typically doubling Williams? I assumed that would be the case going into the game. I also expected McGovern to have a tough time with Jefferson since that would mean he’s the one on one with him most of the time.

edited to add: I was going to look for this on the all 22, but I don’t think I can stomach it. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Haha (+1) 1

He did get bull rushed back a couple times that I saw, most noticably on the same early play Spencer Brown got dog walked into Allen's lap. But that will happen to most OL playing against that Jet front 4.

The important thing to me is he settled in and held his own after and showed really well. Didn't get discouraged that he was being beat early and anchored well in the run and pass as time went on. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He did get bull rushed back a couple times that I saw, most noticably on the same early play Spencer Brown got dog walked into Allen's lap. But that will happen to most OL playing against that Jet front 4.

The important thing to me is he settled in and held his own after and showed really well. Didn't get discouraged that he was being beat early and anchored well in the run and pass as time went on. 

Yea he did that was probably his worst snap... but even then it wasn't his guy that blew up the play it was Spencer's. 

I thought Cybo was definitely our best lineman on the night. Excellent debut from the big man and there were even a snap or two where he went 1v1 with Q and won the battle. That is one of the elite DTs in football. Promising. Very promising. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, Special K said:

No penalties, handled the silent count duties, didn't notice him giving up any pressures, whereas McGovern and Brown were getting beat more often then you would like to see.

If McBeane ever decide to pay attention to the O-line, and do a massive O-line overhaul, Torrence would be the only man left standing from this group.

Thoughts?

For Beane to finally put max focus on the OL after nearly 6 years of neglect and bottom 10 rankings,  would require him to ignore McD's incessant defensive requests.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Special K said:

Making the o-line a priority is essential for the future success of Josh Allen.

Torrence is a great starting point, but I agree with you that 1st or 2nd round picks need to be invested into the O-line in the next few drafts.

Probably not going to happen. They are invested into the guys that they have an early pics next year are going to be going to positions where we’re getting to replace Gabe Davis’s replacement

He and Dion both looked the part, played well.

I wouldn't say any of our OL were great, or liabilities either.  

But Torrence and Dion most consistent good play.  Then Morse and McGovern.  Spencer gave up more pressures than I would have liked to see, getting mostly bull rushed/needed to anchor better.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Probably not going to happen. They are invested into the guys that they have an early pics next year are going to be going to positions where we’re getting to replace Gabe Davis’s replacement

You mean you want more than 2 receptions for 32 yards out of your #2 WR? Come on….that’s crazy talk! 

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

For Beane to finally put max focus on the OL after nearly 6 years of neglect and bottom 10 rankings,  would require him to ignore McD's incessant defensive requests.

In fairnese the Oline was pretty good in 2020. It is the only year of Beane's stewardship I'd say that for and how much no crowds played in is a fair question but that line was top half of the league. Coincidently it was Allen's career year. 

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

He and Dion both looked the part, played well.

I wouldn't say any of our OL were great, or liabilities either.  

But Torrence and Dion most consistent good play.  Then Morse and McGovern.  Spencer gave up more pressures than I would have liked to see, getting mostly bull rushed/needed to anchor better.

I thought McGovern was disappointing. Not his best game. I still have hope for him as a signing though. Remember Saffold was good week 1 last year.... then terrible the rest of the season.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd get his jersey, but, that has not worked out well the last few times.  Last one I got was Darrus (yikes).  

Hey, don’t feel bad. My last couple besides Allen have been Mario Williams for Christmas 2014, and then a Devin Singletary.

43 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

We’ve had this discussion here a lot of times over the past few years. It was nice to get a starting guard this year, but getting OTs is another story. The sure things at tackle go really high in the first. The bust rate from the mid first on is really high. It’s not just Cody Ford. It’s a league-wide issue.

i get it but we got to try-can't give up

it's nice that we have 2-3 developmental tackles on the PS-maybe one will be serviceable some day

the turnstiles we picked up off the trash heap hasn't exactly worked out and are contributing to Josh's brain breaking during games (not excusing his crap play Monday but it looks like he feels he has to throw a 21 pt. touchdown before he gets clobbered instead of just  taking what they give him)

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

THIS

Yea well. I expected they would be able to run inside. They consistently get light boxes. 2 safeties way back. And the result is exactly the same. On any given offensive plays an OL loses badly. 

and the offense as a whole looks exactly the same. The have 1 good play. Then 2 negative plays. Or 2 good plays then 1 negative play. Herky jerky. No rhythm. 

He was very good and Bills won't face a front 7 even close to this until they see the Jets again at home. 

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairnese the Oline was pretty good in 2020. It is the only year of Beane's stewardship I'd say that for and how much no crowds played in is a fair question but that line was top half of the league. Coincidently it was Allen's career year. 

I thought McGovern was disappointing. Not his best game. I still have hope for him as a signing though. Remember Saffold was good week 1 last year.... then terrible the rest of the season.

Agree but he was coming off knee injury. Another poor week and they might give Edwards a shot at starting. 

This amongst another 100 negative threads is fine as this groupm always overrreacts.

McGovern was out matched against one of the best DY’s in the league.  Brown I apologized for in the past, but he’s had a full off season, mini camps, TC, Preseason, etc.  there is no excuse for him.

Torrence okayed well against top talent, and so did Morse, and Dawkins.  McGovern should be fine as the year progresses.

I know people have read from me defending Brown to give him a chance.

Those days are done.  He was basically sitting in Josh Allen’s lap all night.

that’s as measure approach I can have as there were problems.  If Brown acts

like this against mediocre talent in the Raiders and Commanders, bench his behind.

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He was very good and Bills won't face a front 7 even close to this until they see the Jets again at home. 

Agree but he was coming off knee injury. Another poor week and they might give Edwards a shot at starting. 

I think it would take more than 2 weeks to make that move, but agree they have another proven vet in the building and so they won't just let it drag on if it proves more than a slightly sloppy night. And he wasn't terrible, but he can definitely play better and we need to see it asap. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it would take more than 2 weeks to make that move, but agree they have another proven vet in the building and so they won't just let it drag on if it proves more than a slightly sloppy night. And he wasn't terrible, but he can definitely play better and we need to see it asap. 

Agree. I should have said weeks. Knowing this staff they will give him time. At least they have another option. Not the case for either OT spot

5 hours ago, balln said:

Yea well. I expected they would be able to run inside. They consistently get light boxes. 2 safeties way back. And the result is exactly the same. On any given offensive plays an OL loses badly. 

and the offense as a whole looks exactly the same. The have 1 good play. Then 2 negative plays. Or 2 good plays then 1 negative play. Herky jerky. No rhythm. 

But why do you feel this is happening. Play calling ?1st game with this line up? 1st Game?

Against the beastly Jest D line ?

how come?

They cant be exactly the same. We dont have Saffold  LOL

McGovern might have struggled but he is no Roger "im pretty tired " Saffold

6 hours ago, Special K said:

Thoughts?

There’s not going to be a massive overhaul.  Dion and McGovern are under contract until 2026.  Mitch Morse has 1 more year.  

Sans a crazy injury, the only position they might upgrade is RT

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.