Kelce’s plea for Chris Jones to end his holdout

BillsFan619

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

His contract extension was signed in 2020. I beleive at the time only Kittle was paid higher. 

Right.  As was Chris jones when he signed his extension in 2020.

Kelce wants to win amd is taking less for the sake of winning. Looks to me like he wants jones to do what’s best for the team 

5 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Is it just me or has this been a terrible offseason for Kelce? Feels like he's constantly doing something annoying. I can't imagine Jones really appreciates this

when is he not doing something annoying??

Edited by RyanC883

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wow that is really poor form. 

He needs to mind his own dam business when it comes to other people's money. 

meh. I think most should reasonably take it with a grain of salt. It’s not like he’s been harping or was dumb over the top. 

he acknowledged he wants the guy back and to win rings with him.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They talk about being able to watch all the NFL games on Directtv, and word it in a way that makes it sound like they still have the Sunday Ticket, even though they don’t.  

I believe they are advertising giving out something that gives all its customers access to it. I’ve got the emails just haven’t looked. Don’t really care enough to worry about it. 

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Interesting. I have not seen that yet. I will have to check my emails.

I saw a commercial about something regarding it. Only half listened to it. I’ve got emails from DTV but haven’t opened them. I am only assuming that’s what it’s for. Who knows. 

6 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

That's my point, guys like Kelce and Mahomes obviously are putting winning and building a dynasty first and Chris Jones is not.

If they were putting team first one would offer to take a slight payout to fit in a fair raise for Jones for his contributions to winning.  If they fail to when t hey would earn more on their outside endorsements that would cover any paýcut they took in nfl pay.  Have Mahomes and State Farm offer Jones a deal for some of those commercials now they cut ties with Aaron Rodgers.

8 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

The situation is you need to mind your business and understand he is not getting paid an exorbitant amount outside of this job like you to promote McDonald’s junk food.

Kelce is dumb as a rock can't stand dude.

You know a great format to tell Chris that? The phone in your pocket. Basically inciting Chiefs fans to turn on your teammate. 

Funny thing is, I'd bet Coach and GM would tell him that's crap is only gunna make things tougher on everyone.

10 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Man, I hope he holds out until week 8. Go Bills!

"’Chris, can you please come back?’ Kelce said on the ‘New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce’ podcast, which he appears on regularly with his brother, who plays for the Philadelphia Eagles. ‘You're really scaring me, man. I don't get it. You must know something that I don't know because I just don't get it. I really want to get another Super Bowl ring with you, brother. This is me bargaining you to just come back and play football for the Chiefs. Please, we need you. We need you bad, and I don't know what the situation is.’”

Link -https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38306759/travis-kelce-raises-concern-chris-jones-holdout-nears-week-1

@Zerovoltz, as a Chiefs fan, how do you think this holdout could affect the team?

usually, players dont do this to other players.

so, maybe kelce spoke to Chris Jones.   Maybe jones wants to come back but he needs some cover.  "I woulda stayed gone.  But i cant leave my 'brothers' hangin'.

so maybe Jones is cool with it.  beforehand.

14 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, seems a little messed up if that's really how it went down. 

Despite all of that, the Chiefs have won because of their offense, not their defense, which was only average or so last season, and only somewhat better than average in 2019.  IMO they're done for a while.  Their WR core is questionable on a good day.  

I mean… that’s usually the way it goes for KC… but if you watched the end of last season’s AFC Championship game, you would know they probably don’t win it without Chris Jones.

Bengals controlled their own destiny with <2 minutes left to play, only needing a field goal to win.  They had already converted a massive 4th down and if I’m not mistaken I think they were at or near mid-field. 

Defense HAD to make a stop in that game or Bengals win…

Chris Jones made that stop.  In fact, in that game Chris Jones was everything that we signed Von Miller to be, and arguably would have been if he was available for our playoff run.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, maddenboy said:

usually, players dont do this to other players.

so, maybe kelce spoke to Chris Jones.   Maybe jones wants to come back but he needs some cover.  "I woulda stayed gone.  But i cant leave my 'brothers' hangin'.

so maybe Jones is cool with it.  beforehand.

It was a joke.  It was during a podcast, and Travis was jokingly "begging" Jones to come back.  Travis and Jason Kelce were laughing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1.  Come on!  If you watch that and think Travis is knocking on Jones, then you are trying too hard to find something controversial about it.  He wants Jones to get paid tons of money AND wants him back to help win another title.  Kelce knows he has way more season behind him than he does in front of him.  Not many guys have won 3 SB....and he wants to be one of them.

2.  Kelce Is underpaid.  KC has at least once that I can remember and maybe more....end up converting future contract into up front bonus in season as they have cap room for it.  Still underpaid, but they know it and try and throw extra right now cash at him subtracting from the back end......if that makes sense.  Last year, they converteed 3 or 4 million and cut him a check in season at some point last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

I mean… that’s usually the way it goes for KC… but if you watched the end of last season’s AFC Championship game, you would know they probably don’t win it without Chris Jones.

Bengals controlled their own destiny with <2 minutes left to play, only needing a field goal to win.  They had already converted a massive 4th down and if I’m not mistaken I think they were at or near mid-field. 

Chris Jones made that stop.  In fact, in that game Chris Jones was everything that we signed Von Miller to be, and arguably would have been if he was available for our playoff run.  

💯 

On 9/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, Beck Water said:

Chiefs #1 receiver is still on the team - poking publicly into his teammate's business. 

Other than that, the Chiefs are kind of where the Bills were last season, expecting Kadarius Toney and/or Skyy Moore to take a step, like the Bills were expecting Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie to take a step.  They have Rashee Rice (drafted in the 2nd round, noted for inconsistent route running and physicality) instead of5th rounder Khalil Shakir, and Justin Watson as their Sherfield-ish type. 

Veach apparently feels that as long as Kelce is on the field and he throws some WR "lemons" in the hopper, the assistant coaches will train them up on how to run their routes and get to the right place and Mahomes will make delicious, flavorful iced lemonade with them.  It worked last year, kinda, and MVS is still on the team.

The interesting wrinkle is that the Chiefs long-term WR coach, Joe Blaymaier, took on the title/role "passing game coordinator" and they promoted one of their offensive assistants to WR coach.  Time will tell if that has an impact.

It kind of comes down to "do you think Skyy Moore or Kadarius Toney will step up and contribute at least as much as Juju Smith-Schuster?", which was 78 receptions, 933 yds last season.

IDK, we'll see.  

To start, their #1 receiver is 34 now.  I don't care what anyone says, he's not playing as he has in the past.  The difference may be marginal, but apart from simply a lack of other options, which wouldn't be a good sign or a positive for them, I don't seem him exceeding last year's production.  I'd guess closer to the season prior, 1,200, 10-ish.  That's not nearly enough by itself to carry the Chiefs offensively. 

We can say what we want about their other WRs, but not one has proven to be anything even approaching a playmaker, ever. 

Also, IMO people overrate the KC offense generally speaking.  They're simply a well-coached team that steps up at the right times, something that's the antithesis of what we do.  The last four seasons they've averaged 475 PPS.  We've averaged 480 in our last three seasons.  

Kelce's going to find himself doubled often, I don't see another WR on that team that is capable of regularly exploiting single coverages.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 9/1/2023 at 8:45 PM, RiotAct said:

::checks KC roster::

Yep, Pat Mahomes is still their QB1.  Hmmmmm…

I just put out in another post that the last four seasons the Chiefs have averaged 475 PPS, never once having eclipsed the 500 point mark.  We've averaged 480 over the past three seasons once at 501.  

The difference is that they know how to step up in the big and most important games because they're better coached.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/2/2023 at 6:05 AM, BobBelcher said:

Well no, the Bengals wouldn't have necessarily won.  They needed 3 to tie with about 40 seconds remaining and only one time-out.  

That sack was when they were at their own 35.  That's a long way to go in :40 seconds and one timeout.  For some perspective, they only had two TD drivers and they were 45 and 62 yards.  That one began at their own 6 and would have set precedent in that game, but over 30 yards.  

It was an overall well-coached game by Reid.  The Chiefs held the Bengals to below-average offensive performance, but put up more passing yards than any other team against the Bengals, but overall yards and 1st-Downs were above average otherwise.  

It's a reach to suggest that had the Bengals gotten a 1st down, say 15 yards on that 3rd-and-8, they'd still have had to get 50 yards in about 30 seconds.  

I see it having gone into OT which, statistically and otherwise, would have favored the Chiefs.  

18 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well no, the Bengals wouldn't have necessarily won.  They needed 3 to tie with about 40 seconds remaining and only one time-out.  

That sack was when they were at their own 35.  That's a long way to go in :40 seconds and one timeout.  For some perspective, they only had two TD drivers and they were 45 and 62 yards.  That one began at their own 6 and would have set precedent in that game, but over 30 yards.  

It was an overall well-coached game by Reid.  The Chiefs held the Bengals to below-average offensive performance, but put up more passing yards than any other team against the Bengals, but overall yards and 1st-Downs were above average otherwise.  

It's a reach to suggest that had the Bengals gotten a 1st down, say 15 yards on that 3rd-and-8, they'd still have had to get 50 yards in about 30 seconds.  

I see it having gone into OT which, statistically and otherwise, would have favored the Chiefs.  

The score was 20-20 on the drive I am referring to.  Bengals literally could have got into FG position and wound down the clock to a few seconds left to attempt the game winning field goal if not for Chris Jones ending that drive.   KC defense NEEDED to step up in that situation.  Mahomes could do nothing but watch from the bench.  

The field goal that KC kicked to make the score 23-20 was with 3 seconds left in the game.

EDIT:  added play-by-play screenshot

86EcFNr.jpg 

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

The score was 20-20 on the drive I am referring to.  Bengals literally could have got into FG position and wound down the clock to a few seconds left to attempt the game winning field goal if not for Chris Jones ending that drive.   KC defense NEEDED to step up in that situation.  Mahomes could do nothing but watch from the bench.  

The field goal that KC kicked to make the score 23-20 was with 3 seconds left in the game.

EDIT:  added play-by-play screenshot

86EcFNr.jpg 

Roger!  

But still, even if he doesn't log that sack, a FG is not guaranteed.  

But again, and either way, let's not lose weight of the overall point, it has been offense, not defense, clearly, that has paved the way for the success of the Chiefs.

As a further case in point, consider the Super Bowl.  The chiefs allowed 417 Yards, 38 points, three 75-Yard TD drives, 11-18 on 3rd-Down Convs, 2-2 on 4th-Down Convs, 36 min time-of-possession.  

Chris Jones and their Defense were as bad as our playoff defense in that game, maybe worse and entirely ineffective.  

He has his rings now he wants to be paid. Totally understandable. If he misses time and it costs the Chiefs some games, then great. Maybe they won't get the #1 seed this year. Winning the division will hard this year as well. Chargers can definitely challenge them. If Wilson rebounds, then so can the Broncos.

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Damn if that's accurate Jones probably isn't reporting anytime soon.

Will be very interested to see what Chiefs defense looks like without him against a good offense in their opener in a few days.

The Lions have a good offense. Hopefully they can go in there and make KC 0-1.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Damn if that's accurate Jones probably isn't reporting anytime soon.

Will be very interested to see what Chiefs defense looks like without him against a good offense in their opener in a few days.

flip side, at 27m per, at some point missing game checks will eclipse the gap between their positions 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.