ESPN.com - “Play of the preseason?”

BillsFan619

21 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Great run. Sadly he won’t make the team though. Bills would gladly stash him on the PS, but after that run today and a good preseason, some team will most likely ***** him up. 

Every year there are players like that and for the most part aren't even claimed.  Eventually maybe by late October or so due to league wide attrition from injuries, he'll get grabbed up.   But likely the Bills will have the 1st shot at him if desired.

• Agree 1

Great run. The Bills have good backs on the back end of their roster. I wonder if they'll get picked up by anyone after cuts.

Cook looked good too, today. He had a really good pass block too.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Don’t forget this was in the 4th quarter against Bears players who won’t even make their team.  It’s why late in preseason games you see some of these dramatic plays, but it’s not against starters.

All true, still it was a damn good run. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Great run. The Bills have good backs on the back end of their roster. I wonder if they'll get picked up by anyone after cuts.

I was multi-tasking during the game, unfortunately, so missed evidence of Cook pass blocking effectively. That's likely his last remaining weakness, at least from our limited vantage point. 

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Like Christian Wade, the English rugby player we received an additional spot for during preseason a couple-few years ago. He had some really great runs… and then… never heard from again during the season.

He never had a run like that. Wade had a couple one-cut sprints that flashed. The Evans run today really was Beastmode-ish, broken-field cutting and breaking tackles and running over dudes on his way to the endzone.

Edited by Richard Noggin

the takeaway is that you HAVE TO make 3rd stringers look like third stringers.

because if you cant even do that, why would we ever need you?

with this run he kept his name from being erased from the board.  for a little while.  it woulda been an automatic Fail, otherwise.

(not saying he will or wont make the team.   I dont have enough skill or evidence for me to have an opinion)

---

(for fun, go back and watch it a few times.  each time, focus on one defender.  Its like a pickup game where nobody wants to get hurt.  Since they gotta be back at work at Amazon monday morning.  Then, imagine if he had allowed any single tackle attempt to actually work.)

Edited by maddenboy

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I was multi-tasking during the game, unfortunately, so missed evidence of Cook pass blocking effectively. That's likely his last remaining weakness, at least from our limited vantage point. 

I can't remember the play, but they did show a replay of it. I believe it was an incomplete pass, but Cook did his job and stopped the rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

I mean he has had a few REALLY GOOD pass blocks. he bulked up his legs big time. I don't think we can say Cook is a bad pass blocker anymore... 

11 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Former 3rd round pick just a couple years ago. For me the sad part is, if that was our 3rd round pick this year, he would have practically been a lock to make the team even if he doesn’t make that run. Just the way it goes. 

More than that, it's why you don't have to be frantic to draft running backs.  I would much rather have signed Murray and Harris and drafted Williams than just drafted Evans.  That would have been a waste of a pick.  

There's pretty much no way you can pick up in free agency a linebacker who makes plays as nice as that run is.  

Running backs really are a dime a dozen.  Someone commented about Blackshear seeing the field in Carolina.   It's almost as though every year you can have a running back in camp who's good enough to be on a roster somewhere.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.