Well that was an absolute crap fest - PostGame thread

Einstein

Easy to dismiss this as only the preseason but the fact remain that all other teams in our division added more talent and got better.  Losing Edmunds and not having a solid replacement may be a huge mistake. While scoring points and having a great offence is important,  if you cannot get stops then you put so much more pressure on your offence to be perfect. The Bills need to keep their eyes on other teams that have a surplus at LB because right now that position is a big concern. While Edmunds was not perfect,  his size alone create problems for teams trying to attacking the middle of the field. Combined with Milano's sideline to sideline run defence they were a great combination .  Sorry but AJ Kline is not an option,  just look at what happened after he left the Bills last season.  Could not stick on a team,  I think the offence will hold serve from last season but the defence could take a step back.

Watching the game now and it was the refs that killed that game and whatever vanilla gameplay we had yesterday. 

As the game started, just about every positive Bills play resulted in a penalty, all negative plays allowed to stand. 

Every time the Squealers needed a play, the refs were there to help them make sure it happened. 

It was blatantly obvious with the ghost block in the back on the 2nd drive that they refused to replay and McD called them out. After that, it seemed like a batch of “this is what you get for calling us out” penalties. 

I think after that call out, we ended up 2nd and 30 vs 2nd and short (3 back to back penalties). Finally the Bills realized the refs were bent on killing the drive, said screw it and did 2 screens to get off the field. 

Like the refs were attempting to establish dominance and smacked the Bills on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. 

“You will get what I give you and be happy about it”. 

I think the players realized it and lost whatever fire you can get up for a preseason game. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, Shemp said:

Here's an alternative take. The Bills turtled this meaningless preseason game so they could avoid injuries to key players. The Steelers D is a rough bunch. The Bills' constant penalties...all the mess-ups...the long plays. A perfect excuse to avoid contact with Josh Allen's kryptonite, JJ Watt. Also: maybe Beane and Kromer aren't as good as we think they are. Beane has failed to seriously address the OL again, the Kromer-coached OL looks like an undisciplined mess and Allen will probably be running for his life again this year. Blocking and tackling are the building blocks of football, not the flash and dash. Hopefully the Bills will straighten up and not have to find this out the hard way again.

Then why play key players at all if that is the goal?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I have issues with being critical during the season. But this was a  preseason game...with vanilla schemes...no game planning... and starters playing to not get hurt in a meaningless game. I'm not worried right now.

As if the defenses aren't going vanilla either.  

Something's wrong and hasn't improved since the Divisional playoff game.  

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

No it’s a half ass approach simply because our tackles are both below league average

Brown is the worst starting RT in the league 

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

As if the defenses aren't going vanilla either.  

Something's wrong and hasn't improved since the Divisional playoff game.  

Yea their lines are charmin soft . And I think their coaches suck 

10 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Trivia question for you.. who has been in the AFC Championship game the last 2 years?  Yup that’s right the Bengals and Chiefs.. right now everyone outside of Buffalo sees the Bills as the 3rd best team, maybe the 4th since so many love the dang Jets now..  I think it’s funny you point to stats when players just look at it as “these two teams are the best in the league”. 

Trivia question for you.  How bad will the Pats be this season?  You can say what you want about the Bills but as a Pats fan it’s a guarantee that you will be at the bottom of the East this year.

Biggest issue as I see it was sloppy play & mental gaps…

The number of penalties that the Bills were called for was ridiculous.  Complete mental breakdown & I blame McD. Team looked unprepared.

Oh & people loved to bash our previous MLB repeatedly, how’s that looking now?

Edited by PayDaBill$

I mean. That first rd run. That’s your starting / sub team. They ran at AJE and Tim settle. Boogie on other side. Milano and Dodson got locked on and couldn’t get off blocks. Dane got blocked. And poyer looked BAD. All of their D are so blockable and get handled easily w one blocker 

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

What was most concerning to me: Josh's last play.

It looked like rookie year Josh, running all over--because the line sucks and the receivers couldn't get open--trying to make a play out of nothing. Then it was cute. Now is disappointing on many levels.

1 - Some disappointment is directed towards him. Josh still has not tamed his default instincts to play backyard football when things go wrong ("throw it away." it's a meaningless preseason game!).

2 - And the rest of the disappointment is directed toward the . . .

• o-line -- still sucking
  • receivers -- why do our guys seem to have such a hard time getting open?
  • Coaching -- after last night, everything is questioned, and
  • management --- for the personnel moves or lack thereof.

Every "worst fear" we have showed up in that one play.

I think on Josh’s last play he runs for the first down in the regular season. Coaches have told him no running in the preseason, which just made it look awkward.

12 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Highs: 

Kincaid, Allen, shorter, mcd’s new glasses

lows:

Oline, penalties (wtf was that), Dawkins, brown, Barkley (dead heat for qb 2 now), q1 defense, cook, Barkley tackling murray, oline again 

the sky is not falling. 

You mean KYLE Allen,right? Barkley and his followers coming back down to earth.  

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Its preseason. Who cares? 

If performance didn't matter in pre-season, the starters wouldn't have played.

The end result (score) is irrelevant, but how well you play is. It shows where you are at this point in time.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If performance didn't matter in pre-season, the starters wouldn't have played.

The end result (score) is irrelevant, but how well you play is. It shows where you are at this point in time.

To a degree. I learned watching hockey that players will sleep walk through Game. They know this game is meaningless and don’t want to get hurt. RT and MLB I’m a little worried about but not losing sleep yet. The sky is not falling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

But I thought Beane, the wizard, fixed the o-line?  Everyone here should anticipate some regression with the secondary.  Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger and I seriously doubt Tre will ever be elite again.    

You can't expect these guys to magically turn back the clock to 3 years ago.  

3 hours ago, Beast said:

McGovern and Torrence is not seriously addressing the offensive line?

Losing Shell to retirement and Doyle to injury is just plain bad luck. Like the defensive backfield last year, you hate lose them at all, but especially all at one position. 

• Agree 1

Regardless of the final score this game was a blowout.

Which got me to thinking…since when?

We lost games and have had not such great games, but a blowout?

I honestly can’t even remember.  Does it predate even McDermott?

Has it been more than 100 regular, pre and post season games since we’ve been spanked?

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Has it been more than 100 regular, pre and post season games since we’ve been spanked?

Since the Cincinnati game...

Any criticism of Josh, even if it's just to say he contributes to an issue, can't be right to those on this forum. It can never be even partly on Josh. Josh is incapable of doing anything wrong. It has to be the WR's not being able to get open. The line not being able to block. The coach not being able to draw up plays. It can't just be Josh hitting the top of his drop, double, triple clutching. Having no idea where to go with the ball. Then taking off. Something we see literally non stop with him mixed in with the rest of the crap play out of our various units.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Josh Allen goes down, the Bills only chance is if the opponent puts their 3rd string defense in.

Next year the Bills need to do with Tackle what they did with Guard this year, two new starters.

You can eliminate Elam for the starting battle opposite Tre White.

This game may have made cutting guys easier instead of harder.

Have they called Jason Peters yet ? ... 41 yr old Peters likely would outplay both Brown and the Michelin Man.

16 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

No, I thought about that one first.  That falls under not a good game.  Cincy beat them.  They didn’t blow them out.

bad for the bills play, yes, but not a blowout.

Cincy took the foot off the gas when they saw we quit or it would have been a blowout.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Any criticism of Josh, even if it's just to say he contributes to an issue, can't be right to those on this forum. It can never be even partly on Josh. Josh is incapable of doing anything wrong. It has to be the WR's not being able to get open. The line not being able to block. The coach not being able to draw up plays. It can't just be Josh hitting the top of his drop, double, triple clutching. Having no idea where to go with the ball. Then taking off. Something we see literally non stop with him mixed in with the rest of the crap play out of our various units.  

I wish more would admit when he plays below the standard we’d like to see, but it’s always everyone else’s fault. Dorsey, the OL, his WRs, Britt, Hailey, etc. Josh still makes mistakes that leave you scratching your head. With that said, he’s also the best QB we’ve had maybe ever, but I feel like he could still take his game to another level. Physically he’s the most gifted QB in the league, but his awareness and knowledge of where to go with the ball just aren’t always there.

This morning I read on YouTube that Josh was the best QB in the league if only he could get some protection. Aside from glaring performances like the one Saffold had against the Bengals, I suspect you’d think we had a top pass blocking OL if Josh had the processing ability of a Tom Brady. He said he’s completely dialed in on football and even McD said he noticed a change coming into camp. We’ll see if that was just lip service shortly when the real bullets start flying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

Losing Shell to retirement and Doyle to injury is just plain bad luck. Like the defensive backfield last year, you hate lose them at all, but especially all at one position. 

I can’t get there… it’s not just bad luck.   

It’s not armchair QB’ing to say they could have had Dawand Jones.   75% of the fanbase was clamoring for him on draft night when we came up in RD3. 

We chose to give money to Oliver, Floyd & Poyer on defense. Some of that money could have brought in a top tier Tackle… like one the Bengals and Chiefs made sure they brought in for their QB’s. 

It’s simply been about allocation of resources and their true (or forced) belief in Spencer Brown.   Fans also pointed out Dawkins drop in play last year.  

They chose not to address it.  They could have.  They didn’t.  It’s not just bad luck. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

41-15 at home to the Colts in 2021?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s akin to Beanes comments about the Bengals picking top 5 and able to pick a guy like Chase and we weren’t…spare me the excuses… specifically when you are throwing money and draft picks in the garbage at defensive line, RB, and LB. 

He would’ve been in trouble if someone said, “but Brandon, you could’ve drafted Justin Jefferson with your 22nd pick, or even drafted George Pickens after trading down. Not to mention you passed on both DK Metcalf and AJ Brown in the second round.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.