Your opinion of starters playing a quarter and a half gainst Pittsburgh?

steven50

3 hours ago, Augie said:

This is part of Josh growing up and learning to be smart. I pray no designed QB runs, and he tosses the ball away before anybody gets in his zip code. 

I don’t mind a little “live action” before it really counts against the Jets. JUST BE SMART! Heroics are for playoffs. 

Give Josh and Diggs a couple of series. Show a little 12 personnel and no injuries. Then get ready for Aaronhuasca.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Manther said:

Based on our offense last year and Dorsey’s need for improvement I think it is a good idea.  We have system and personnel changes we need to work on. 

You’re right.  I think we were like 25ty in scoring the offense was HORRIBLE..

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

So 2 questions:

Do you believe preseason games to serve any purpose at all?

How do you go about evaluating the talent on your team? Practice?

1. yes they serve a purpose: owners can charge a full price ticket to see practice football. 

2. yes. You evaluate talent in practice (training camp.) you can also do joint practices with other teams, which everyone already does, and I have no problem with. 

preseason games probably had their worth, way back in the day. Similar to your appendix. Now they suck and they’re horrible football and they’re are ONLY there so owners can get their home game gates in.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Manther said:

Based on our offense last year and Dorsey’s need for improvement I think it is a good idea.  We have system and personnel changes we need to work on. 

The second highest scoring team in ppg, last year and averaged 29.75 points in the last 8 games leading to the playoffs? In Dorsey’s first season? Scored 34 points vs Miami in the playoffs? That offense? Unless you’re basing this on the Cincy playoff loss, what? If you are basing it on that one game, what?

McDermott mentioned something about approaching it like they did the years before last season which is odd because we started the season on fire.  Did he blame all the early injuries last year on resting the starters too much in preseason?  Have they been pushing them harder in training camp practices compared to last year?  Am I reading too much into his comment?  I need answers. 

43 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The second highest scoring team in ppg, last year and averaged 29.75 points in the last 8 games leading to the playoffs? In Dorsey’s first season? Scored 34 points vs Miami in the playoffs? That offense? Unless you’re basing this on the Cincy playoff loss, what? If you are basing it on that one game, what?

The numbers were good, but as I remember it, there were still a lot of issues. Josh uncharacteristically had a lot of turnovers in the RZ, and they struggled the closer they got to the goal line. The run game never seemed integrated in a coherent fashion. It was sprinkled in randomly, and unable to take advantage of Cook's ability to catch passes out of the backfield; same for Hines, for that matter. Dorsey forgot all about Knox as a redzone threat for half a season. The offense became stale, there was a burst of creativity to start the season, and then not enough later on. Josh's injury, Gabe Davis struggling, the porous O-line, all that affected what Dorsey could do, but there were signs of a first year OC. I expect he will be better. The innovative sets and integration of 12 personnel that has been glimpsed in training camp are a welcome indication of growth. The effort to improve the IOL and adding Kincaid should also pay dividends. And they finally have a hammer at RB so they don't have to rely on Josh so often for goal line runs.

6 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I like the starters playing to get the rust out under semi-real game conditions. But I want the players, especially Allen, to play smart and avoid hits at the expense of a negative play. Throw away the ball, dont run, go down fast - anything to avoid a hard tackle or hit. There are players on the other team looking to make the roster and dont care if they bring the hurt on the opposition. Be cognizant of that and protect your body. 

yeah, what is the Steelers plan.  Are they playing their starters the same amount of time as us?  I could see McD and Tonkin setting it up that way.  otherwise, not much gained by destroying backups and risking injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, steven50 said:

McDermott said Allen and the rest of the starters will play for about a quarter and a half.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-preview-josh-allen-starters-stefon-diggs-kenny-pickett

I really want other peoples opinions on the pros and cons of the starters playing that much. I am not saying I object but It kind of surprised me.

I would assume this will be the only game the starters play so in reality they might be getting a half a Quarter short than they normally do but I feel it gets them ready for game 1. They'll have a qtr and a half to go over the plays that worked and what didn't, incorporate some plays they liked and also take out the plays they didn't care for imo.

10 hours ago, BBFL said:

So 2 questions:

Do you believe preseason games to serve any purpose at all?

How do you go about evaluating the talent on your team? Practice?

Yes they serve no purpose for the starters. They are running vanilla plays against vanilla defenses. How does that help you prepare for the Jets???

Maybe it might help you choose guy 55 over guy 51 on the roster. But who cares about them. They are bottom of the roster players that are interchangeable with many PS level guys around the league.

Yes in practice. 

Covid year proved they are useless

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

It’s pretty normal. Gets the starters in glow for the season. Why is this a surprise?

It's not a surprise. Its the standard operating procedure. Doesn't make it the right decision just because its what most teams do.

• Agree 1

It's a tough game for tough people.

You could wrap em up in bubble wrap but as soon as that wrap comes off it's going to hurt. Get them used to some pain now.

They need to work on execution against someone wearing a different uniform than the guys they see daily. For some reason though, I think it might be more beneficial to play them PS week three instead. It gets them one more week of practice, and it's closer to the regular season.

13 hours ago, twist_to_open said:

First game that counts will be against a division rival, gotta knock the rust off at some point. Be nice if TJ Watt didn't play and hope the Pittsburgh's turf isn't one that's prone to injuries,

I actually want Tj Watt to play. I want to see them play a team at full strength.

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The numbers were good, but as I remember it, there were still a lot of issues. Josh uncharacteristically had a lot of turnovers in the RZ, and they struggled the closer they got to the goal line. The run game never seemed integrated in a coherent fashion. It was sprinkled in randomly, and unable to take advantage of Cook's ability to catch passes out of the backfield; same for Hines, for that matter. Dorsey forgot all about Knox as a redzone threat for half a season. The offense became stale, there was a burst of creativity to start the season, and then not enough later on. Josh's injury, Gabe Davis struggling, the porous O-line, all that affected what Dorsey could do, but there were signs of a first year OC. I expect he will be better. The innovative sets and integration of 12 personnel that has been glimpsed in training camp are a welcome indication of growth. The effort to improve the IOL and adding Kincaid should also pay dividends. And they finally have a hammer at RB so they don't have to rely on Josh so often for goal line runs.

Sounds like we’re both expecting great things this season. Cool. 
Go Bills!!!

:beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, steven50 said:

McDermott said Allen and the rest of the starters will play for about a quarter and a half.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-preview-josh-allen-starters-stefon-diggs-kenny-pickett

I really want other peoples opinions on the pros and cons of the starters playing that much. I am not saying I object but It kind of surprised me.

two schools of thought- 

save reps/risk for late in the season

vs 

look sharper week 1 hopefully securing a bye week in the playoffs

given that we have a very competitive game out of the gate, let’s hopefully walk out of week 1 with the inside track on the division. I’d hope Tomlinson has his team playing fast but clean in the preseason. 

16 hours ago, Dopey said:

We can be better.  It is true.  And, to win the Super Bowl we need to improve the offense.

Generally speaking, I like it. I think players and coaches do need the pre-season. I think you need a few "live rounds" going into the regular season. I liked the old 4 game pre-season format as starters got ramped up pretty naturally. Under the old 4 pre-season game format the flow of starters playing went...

1. Game 1 some starters played a series or two.
  2. Game 2 starters played a quarter plus 
  3. Game 3 was the "dress rehearsal" for the regular season starters played the first half and the first two drives of the second half. 
  4. Game 4 starters did not play

I felt like under that format the starters really got themselves ready for the regular season. But with one less game I am not sure if there is any uniformity to how coaches approach things. 

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Why, 40 years ago you said "ouch", rubbed dirt on it, and went back in after sitting for a series.  Plus, your team doctor only drove a Lincoln instead of a Bentley. 

And the players had regular jobs in the off season to make ends meet.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.