Patrick Queen: Would you trade a late rounder for him?

Rigotz

With Bernard injured, Dodson having a rough pre-season week 1 (and swinging his helmet at his own team), and McDermott expressing concern today … let’s explore one potential option that might be available.

This write up explains why Queen might be on the trade block: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/07/trade-candidate-ravens-lb-patrick-queen

- Roquon Smith just became highest paid ILB in NFL.

- Ravens drafted Trenton Simpson in the 3rd round of this year’s draft.

- Queen is in the last year of his rookie contract ($3.8M).

- Queen is rumored to want a new contract, coming off the best year of his career (117 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 14 QB hits).

To be clear, this is not a discussion of whether he is an elite player or worth a large second contract. If he’s a 1 year rental with possible upside, would you trade a late round pick for him? If so, what round? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I haven’t watched Queen play in the NFL enough to really form my own opinion, but I have heard him discussed. What was said about him was that he was pretty poor until Smith was acquired lined up next to him. Then his play dramatically improved. That makes me say no. If it was something negligible in trade, then it might be worth kicking the tires. But I doubt that would be the case. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would support Beane looking for a veteran MLB if he feels he needs one, but seeing Queen here in Baltimore, I don’t really want him. Very mediocre, un-Ravensy.

Might fit what McD wants but I don't have any idea what skillset he wants in a player for that position. We shall soon see how they play it. 

Could be they trade for a different player.  Might be teams trading a player they are cutting,  both teams avoid bidding wars over player.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

With Bernard injured, Dodson having a rough pre-season week 1 (and swinging his helmet at his own team), and McDermott expressing concern today … let’s explore one potential option that might be available.

This write up explains why Queen might be on the trade block: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/07/trade-candidate-ravens-lb-patrick-queen

- Roquon Smith just became highest paid ILB in NFL.

- Ravens drafted Trenton Simpson in the 3rd round of this year’s draft.

- Queen is in the last year of his rookie contract ($3.8M).

- Queen is rumored to want a new contract, coming off the best year of his career (117 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 14 QB hits).

To be clear, this is not a discussion of whether he is an elite player or worth a large second contract. If he’s a 1 year rental with possible upside, would you trade a late round pick for him? If so, what round? 

A late rounder? Hell yes! It would be worth it, just so we wouldn’t have to play against him anymore. He is one of those players who always seems to make an impact against us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure he's a 4-3 Mike LB.  There's a reason his play boosted, when Roquan joined and he was used differently in their 3-4.

I see him more as a Milano type in our defense.  But I could be wrong.  

They just invested two consecutive 3rd rounders, in hopes of one of them panning out.  I don't think they'll make a trade, unless it's a glaring need halfway thru the year and we get a better sense on various adjustments/progression of the young guys (and Coach's use of different subpackages).

So I wouldn't give a late rounder for Queen.

• Agree 1

I’d be fine with any short term rentals. But I don’t think he’d be very successful in this scheme. They seem to favor or maybe need players with a higher IQ and from what I’ve seen from the guy he is all athleticism. Like others said he started to flash when they got Roquan cause he didn’t have to think anymore and could just attack. Baltimore loves them some comp picks so I would expect they’d like him to have a great year and get paid by someone else next offseason. 

If MLB was something that Beane and McDermott were as concerned with as posters here are, they'd have done a move like this before the start of Camp.

Even if there is someone better than what we have out there, McDermott will value those who were with the team practicing all offseason and training his plays over them. It's a complicated defense. McDermott isn't the "plug and play" type.

I don't think Queen is enough of an upgrade that they'd bring him on now, behind the 8 Ball, so to speak.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I wasn’t aware he had a bad week 1? And the helmet fight thing? While not ideal won’t impact his perception by Bills brass unless it becomes a pattern. Having said that, any LB that can improve the team is fine with me. Not sure Queen is that guy particularly with that contract. 

20 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If MLB was something that Beane and McDermott were as concerned with as posters here are, they'd have done a move like this before the start of Camp.

Even if there is someone better than what we have out there, McDermott will value those who were with the team practicing all offseason and training his plays over them. It's a complicated defense. McDermott isn't the "plug and play" type.

I don't think Queen is enough of an upgrade that they'd bring him on now, behind the 8 Ball, so to speak.

All of your posts are the same.  Sorry. 

If McB thought this, then this.

This thread isn’t asking if McB would make the trade.  It’s asking us if we would make the trade.

mcdermott is CLEARLY concerned.  He has said as much today.  It’s possible that they weren’t very concerned prior to the start of camp….. and now that one guy is hurt and another guy is swinging helmets, that his stance has changed and he’s more concerned now.  It’s a fluid game and process

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't love Queen. He has struggled in the pros. But I am concerned enough I'd consider it for one of our three 6ths next year if that was enough to get him (which if Baltimore thinks he might be a cut could do it).

Started every game since day 1. Last year he had 117 tackles / 9 tfl, 2 int and 6 pd, 1 FF, 2 FR, 5 sacks, 14 qb hits, 83.1 qbr against, 7% missed tackle. The numbers stack up pretty well.

I would take him for a 3rd and 4th. 

If it is a surplus sixth-round pick for him on a one-year rental then I am all for it. Queen struggled badly his first two years but had a nice third season. If the Bills feel comfortable giving him a chance to start and then he can get what he wants out on the open market if he plays well then I am all for giving him a good shot at it. 

But if Queen needs a new contract to play then pass (although I am not sure if there is any semi-hold out situation here or not) I wouldn't want to give him a big deal after just one solid season. Kick the tires for sure, the Bills need some help/depth at MLB.

It seems like very few of these undersized 1st round linebackers taken in the last few years have panned out. 

Devin Lloyd, Isaiah Simmons, Devin White, and Devin Bush were all drafted in the 1st and have been big disappontments. 

Maybe the pendulum will swing the other direction and we'll go back to having huge linebackers like Levon Kirkland

lk.jpg.webp

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It seems like very few of these undersized 1st round linebackers taken in the last few years have panned out. 

Devin Lloyd, Isaiah Simmons, Devin White, and Devin Bush were all drafted in the 1st and have been big disappontments. 

Maybe the pendulum will swing the other direction and we'll go back to having huge linebackers like Levon Kirkland

lk.jpg.webp

So a dude named Devin is the formula?

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

All of your posts are the same.  Sorry. 

If McB thought this, then this.

This thread isn’t asking if McB would make the trade.  It’s asking us if we would make the trade.

mcdermott is CLEARLY concerned.  He has said as much today.  It’s possible that they weren’t very concerned prior to the start of camp….. and now that one guy is hurt and another guy is swinging helmets, that his stance has changed and he’s more concerned now.  It’s a fluid game and process

Damn. I'm sorry my posts are "all the same".

I just never see the point in discussing player acquisitions or actions from mine or others point of view that don't line up with how Beane and McDermott historically operate over going into the 7th season of their regime.

Bernard has started working out on the sidelines. If he's not ready for Week 1, they'll probably PUP him and keep an extra LB. But McDermott is as conservative of a coach when it comes to playing time for players who haven't had time with the playbook or an offseason building with the team. He barely let a RB (the easiest position to transition) see the field after we made a midseason trade for him.

I see no way he's interested in rolling with a Mike LB'er who has to make playcalls for the Defense this late in the game. And I don't see Beane giving up Draft Picks and cap space on top of it right now. Like I said, if they were that concerned, it would have happened already.

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

Started every game since day 1. Last year he had 117 tackles / 9 tfl, 2 int and 6 pd, 1 FF, 2 FR, 5 sacks, 14 qb hits, 83.1 qbr against, 7% missed tackle. The numbers stack up pretty well.

I would take him for a 3rd and 4th. 

Because they bough Roquan in and moved Queen to the WILL. We are not talking about trading for him to play WILL. As an MLB he has struggled. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is literally the main purpose of the forum...

Is it? I had no idea the "main purpose" of TSW was to play Fantasy Madden GM. Thanks for the heads up.

Personally, I come here to discuss news, analyze games and players, and roster building in a realistic fashion. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is more about creating 200+ page threads about things that will never happen and everybody getting riled up when they don't.

I'm sorry that basing my opinions on player acquisitions is more about whether I see it as something that Beane or McDermott would do and less about what I would do or want. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Devin White? I mean he hasn't been as good the last couple of years but he was pretty good as a rookie and was a second team all pro his 2nd season. 

Devin Lloyd isn't undersized. Although he has been a disappointment. He is a guy a think I think would be a great reclamation project for the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Damn. I'm sorry my posts are "all the same".

I just never see the point in discussing player acquisitions or actions from mine or others point of view that don't line up with how Beane and McDermott historically operate over going into the 7th season of their regime.

Bernard has started working out on the sidelines. If he's not ready for Week 1, they'll probably PUP him and keep an extra LB. But McDermott is as conservative of a coach when it comes to playing time for players who haven't had time with the playbook or an offseason building with the team. He barely let a RB (the easiest position to transition) see the field after we made a midseason trade for him.

I see no way he's interested in rolling with a Mike LB'er who has to make playcalls for the Defense this late in the game. And I don't see Beane giving up Draft Picks and cap space on top of it right now. Like I said, if they were that concerned, it would have happened already.

First off, my apologies.  I was a bit harsh.  I agree with a lot of why you say a lot of the time.  Seems like 90% of the time it’s in defense of whatever McB deemed to be correct.  

Yes, they thought going with what they had was the right move.  They must’ve believed in one or more of them prior to camp. Camp is now almost over. We’re less than a month away from the season and the HC/DC is concerned about the position.   As we all should be.  Dobson is swinging helmets and suffering in coverage.  Bernard is a coy wire clone physically while also being injured.  Spector 🤷🏻‍♂️.  One of those guys might be on the field for several 3rd downs over the course of the year and you can bet they’ll be every opposing OCs primary target.  

maybe they aren’t concerned enough. 

And that’s what this thread is for.  To see how many of us think they are making a mistake by not addressing it.  

They wanted David, but he wanted to stay in TB.  So staying the course with what we have wasn’t the initial.  But once they didn’t get David, the LB talk stopped and I don’t understand why. 

i thought they should’ve paid Dru Tranquill.  He’s now a chief.  He’s getting paid less than what we paid Hines to be a return man.  He’s getting almost the same as what we’re paying each Matakavich and Neal to play ST.  I think they screwed that up royally.

I would’ve brought in cunningham and Jack for a workout (at the very least).

I’m very happy that they didn’t take a LB in rd 1 or 2. 

I’m very concerned that the MLB position will be the talk of every game day thread on 3rd down. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think the first half of your para above gets you to the second half. I agree McDermott is unlikely to be keen to bring someone else in at this stage and try and get them up to speed. But I do think they are seriously concerned. I don't think the competition has gone nearly as well as they were hoping. At this stage I am not sure there is a lot they can do, but I don't think that in any way suggests they are not extremely concerned.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Is it? I had no idea the "main purpose" of TSW was to play Fantasy Madden GM. Thanks for the heads up.

Personally, I come here to discuss news, analyze games and players, and roster building in a realistic fashion. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is more about creating 200+ page threads about things that will never happen and everybody getting riled up when they don't.

I'm sorry that basing my opinions on player acquisitions is more about whether I see it as something that Beane or McDermott would do and less about what I would do or want. I just don't see the point in that. 

I don’t understand why you think acquiring a LB is something that they wouldn’t do.  It’s absolutely worth discussing.  It’s our biggest and most glaring hole.  If there’s no chance that our FO COULD address it, then there’s a really problem.  Thankfully, that’s not the case.  There is a chance.  Will it happen? If the price is right I think it may.  If the price isn’t right, there’s little chance.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the first half of your para above gets you to the second half. I agree McDermott is unlikely to be keen to bring someone else in at this stage and try and get them up to speed. But I do think they are seriously concerned. I don't think the competition has gone nearly as well as they were hoping. At this stage I am not sure there is a lot they can do, but I don't think that in any way suggests they are not extremely concerned.

I think there may be some concern. I also think it's quite possible McDermott simply wanted to put some fear and humility into Dodson following his outburst.

Ultimately, what I was trying to say is that I don't think the team is all that concerned if MLB is a weak spot in the Defense this season.

Their actions, or lack thereof, to this point kind of says it all. They could have gotten a better one in Free Agency. They could have Drafted someone in the 2nd. They valued putting those assets elsewhere. 

Now at this point, it's kind of too late with the complexity of the position and the conservative fashion in which McDermott brings new players along.

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t understand why you think acquiring a LB is something that they wouldn’t do.  It’s absolutely worth discussing.  It’s our biggest and most glaring hole.  If there’s no chance that our FO COULD address it, then there’s a really problem.  Thankfully, that’s not the case.  There is a chance.  Will it happen? If the price is right I think it may.  If the price isn’t right, there’s little chance.  

Like I said above, with the complexity of the position in McDermott's Defense and the conservative nature in which he brings new players along - I would be shocked if they made a move like Queen just before the start of the season.

There's a "chance" for almost anything to happen. But in how they operate, how late it is, the fact that it would take cap space we don't have, and Draft capital on top of it - I think the likelihood is little to none.

They made a point to go into this season and see if they could develop younger players into the role. It would be very unlike them to almost completely avoid addressing the position all offseason and then last second make a panic move and then plug and play that person this late in the game.

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

First off, my apologies.  I was a bit harsh.  I agree with a lot of why you say a lot of the time.  Seems like 90% of the time it’s in defense of whatever McB deemed to be correct.  

Understandable and I appreciate your saying so. I can see how essentially my playing "devil's advocate" can be annoying.

To be clear, it's not so much defense of them. I don't think they're always right. It's just going into Year 7 of this regime, the way in which they operate is pretty clear. So when something is proposed that is uncharacteristic of either Beane and McDermott, I can't help but go to that instead of just going along with a discussion of hope that I see as unlikely.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think there may be some concern. I also think it's quite possible McDermott simply wanted to put some fear and humility into Dodson following his outburst.

Ultimately, what I was trying to say is that I don't think the team is all that concerned if MLB is a weak spot in the Defense this season.

Their actions, or lack thereof, to this point kind of says it all. They could have gotten a better one in Free Agency. They could have Drafted someone in the 2nd. They valued putting those assets elsewhere. 

Now at this point, it's kind of too late with the complexity of the position and the conservative fashion in which McDermott brings new players along.

Like I said above, with the complexity of the position in McDermott's Defense and the conservative nature in which he brings new players along - I would be shocked if they made a move like Queen just before the start of the season.

There's a "chance" for almost anything to happen. But in how they operate, how late it is, the fact that it would take cap space we don't have, and Draft capital on top of it - I think the likelihood is little to none.

They made a point to go into this season and see if they could develop younger players into the role. It would be very unlike them to almost completely avoid addressing the position all offseason and then last second make a panic move and then plug and play that person this late in the game.

Understandable and I appreciate your saying so. I can see how essentially my playing "devil's advocate" can be annoying.

To be clear, it's not so much defense of them. I don't think they're always right. It's just going into Year 7 of this regime, the way in which they operate is pretty clear. So when something is proposed that is uncharacteristic of either Beane and McDermott, I can't help but go to that instead of just going along with a discussion of hope that I see as unlikely.

I think they would privately admit now that they wish they'd done more in the spring at MLB..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.