Aaron Schatz picks the Bills and 49ers in the Super Bowl

Utah John

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

We've all said and did some blasphemous things. Owning it and moving forward makes you stronger

I'm meh on FO

their flagship metric in DVOA is proprietary and subjective so you can't see if it makes sense or not

The rest of their analysis is kind of either boring or counterintuitive to the point of tedium imo

Been out on them for a while now tbh

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Bills - Lions

Its the only way this ends.  

I think the lions are good and could win the nfc, but I don’t see how others view them as the favorite considering their offseason.  I don’t think it was THAT good to be better than the eagle or niners.  Maybe equal to the cowboys imo.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

I really want people to stop picking the Bills entirely. They tend to not live up to others expectations of them, so I’d rather them stay a bit under the radar since being pressured makes them fold under it. 

We won't even sniff the playoffs... Would be lucky to win more games than NE....

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think the lions are good and could win the nfc, but I don’t see how others view them as the favorite considering their offseason.  I don’t think it was THAT good to be better than the eagle or niners.  Maybe equal to the cowboys imo.  

I just think it’s “that” team.   

No one had the Eagles last year either.  

And Goff has been to an SB

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I just think it’s “that” team.   

No one had the Eagles last year either.  

And Goff has been to an SB

I’m just not a believer in their back 7.   I don’t trust their corners or LBers.   I think they’ll get exposed when push comes to shove.  

I think they’re really going to miss Jamal Williams in their locker room and their backfield. Gibbs is the truth. I thought he was a top 15 player in this draft, but I don’t understand signing Montgomery to that big deal when they could’ve had Williams for cheaper. Their OL is so solid, I think they invested too much at RB with a question CB room 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by NewEra

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Uh-oh.  Has Schatz ever been right about the Super Bowl teams in his pre-season picks before?

He sure was wrong about Allen, pre- and immediately post- draft.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

We've all said and did some blasphemous things. Owning it and moving forward makes you stronger

Took him a while to own it …

This was his take when they drafted him…

He was still doubling down saying Allen was no good in 2019 before he had to admit he was wrong in 2020

Still.. he wasn’t the only one to doubt him I guess… 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

the niners will have to catch lightning in a bottle with that QB for a whole season to get near the Eagles.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Aaron is a surprisingly accurate guy when it comes to such things. Considering all the bashing the National Media has done to the Bills about their window closed it’s nice to get at least a little good news. 

I still do not understand a "window closed" narrative on the Bills, we have an elite QB in his 20's. Mind blowing. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think people missed how good Goff was last season.   

4400 yards. 

29 TDs and only 7 INTs

If not for like 12 one yard TD runs for Jamaal Williams he’d have had 35 TDs - I’m pretty sure St. Brown was tackled at the one like 5 times lol - yes I had him in fantasy.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Aaron is a surprisingly accurate guy when it comes to such things. Considering all the bashing the National Media has done to the Bills about their window closed it’s nice to get at least a little good news. 

His 2022 predictions had the Chargers winning the AFCW, the Bills in the Super Bowl and Brandon Staley winning COTY.  He did have the Eagles as good value as a long shot bet to make the Super Bowl, though. 

(Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders)

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t think there’s better out there.  He’s amazing.

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I stopped listening to him and FO when he said he'd rather have Tyrod Taylor at QB than Allen

historically bad football takes

Some of us keep our receipts.  This is what Schatz had to say about Allen after the draft:

"A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect, Allen was abysmal in 2017 en route to not even making an all-Mountain West team. We don't want to say there's absolutely no chance he'll ever be good – he's got a deep ball, he's got some ability to make plays on the run and under pressure – but there is zero empirical evidence to support him becoming a reasonable NFL starting quarterback. And if you thought the excuses for his supporting cast were bad in Wyoming, wait till you see this Bills offense. ... Allen is the battleground that old scouts are going to die on, whether they're right about it or, as all evidence suggests, wrong about it."

Plus of course the comment "I would rather have Tyrod Taylor quarterbacking my team over the next four years than Josh Allen."

I gained some respect for Sal Capaccio after one twitter exchange where Schatz tried to white-wash his post-draft take as saying "I said he had a chance to be good" and Sal said "you called him a parody of an NFL quarterback prospect and said there was zero evidence to support him becoming a reasonable starting quarterback"

As for the old scouts, I would say they're not dead yet, so don't sleep on them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.