Training Camp - 8/7 - 9:45am

The Wiz

57 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Does Basham give us anything Jonathan Kingsley or Shane Ray cannot? I was against the Wyatt Teller trade when it happened because I saw legitimate promise. I remember his first start against the Jets he played with his head on a swivel and I was impressed by his awareness and physicality. I get none of those promising moments from Basham. Unless those who have been in camp can say otherwise, I wouldn’t mind if Beane traded him for whatever he can get. Go into the season with Groot, Floyd, AJE, and one of Ray or Kingsley. If Miller doesn’t start the year on PUP, I’d go with 4 DEs and stash Ray/Kingsley on the practice squad.

I would guess that among Buffalo's DEs, Groot, Basham and Lawson ar the ones that can best move to defensive tackle on passing downs.  I doubt that Ray or Kingsley can do that.  Otherwise. there's not a lot separating them.

So, Friday was in the Stadium, with 35,000 of Josh Allen's closest friends in attendence....

I wonder if on Friday, Allen was putting a bit more heat on his passes and that made them harder for the receivers to handle?  If so, either they gotta get used to it....or Allen has to lengthen his Frank Sinatra playlist pre-game.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Sorry, but that is one ugly dog. Looks like Gabe dropped him on his face a few times.

Nonsense, he's adorable!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

Outside of Kincaid, I feel like I'm hearing Sherfield's name every day from camp.  I wonder if he doesn't end up being our number 3 and end up with 5+ TD's this season

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I would guess that among Buffalo's DEs, Groot, Basham and Lawson ar the ones that can best move to defensive tackle on passing downs.  I doubt that Ray or Kingsley can do that.  Otherwise. there's not a lot separating them.

The thing about Ray is his injury history and long hiatus from the NFL make one wonder if he's a pre-season warrior.  Can he hold up?

Kingsley is a player who looks as though he's improving

I think the hope the Bills had when they drafted Basham was that he would be able to fill that play both inside and outside role that the Bills signed Quinton Jefferson to fill in 2020, only to see that possibility fade when Lotulelei opted out and the Bills were left scrambling to figure out who could play 1TDT.  So far I haven't seen that come to fruition with Basham as the Bills hoped.

Not sure on Lawson rotating inside - has he?  Groot can be a monster there, I know.

Edited by Beck Water

37 minutes ago, Beast said:

He returned to practice without pads. If it was anything serious he wouldn’t have returned to the field.

Apparently it's his right wrist.  That's an easy thing to brace up and send the guy back out to practice, but linemen critically depend on their wrists and hands so it can be seriously impairing (for a guy who doesn't need to be impaired).

Let's hope it's just precautionary and heals quickly.

Also, Dawkins calves 👀.  I've seen 9 month baby bumps that looked smaller.  Guy doesn't skip leg day.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Do we really cut many 5th round picks?

I may have reacted a bit quickly.  I forgot that one of Shorter’s “pluses” is that he’s a great ST player.  That could be his path onto this year’s team while he develops as a receiver.

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I feel like I'm hearing Sheffield's name

Gary?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So, Friday was in the Stadium, with 35,000 of Josh Allen's closest friends in attendence....

I wonder if on Friday, Allen was putting a bit more heat on his passes and that made them harder for the receivers to handle?  If so, either they gotta get used to it....or Allen has to lengthen his Frank Sinatra playlist pre-game.

Nonsense, he's adorable!

hey Beck  I am in total solidarity with you embracing Ghost as your avatar.  Sincerely Snoopette aka muppy

He is total gray brindle frenchie  eye candy 🤩

😉

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Looks like French bulldog brindle coloring

Very popular breed in the US rn

you beat me to it!

exactamundo YEP

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm pretty sure they can get Isabella onto the PS. Shorter is making the team. Beane even said after the pick that they see him earning a jersey on GameDay based on ST ability alone. 

Forreal.  Shorter is our Davis replacement if he progresses

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

You know, I forgot all about Shaq Lawson. Bills bring 9, or at most 10 DL into the year. 

Miller (PUP?)

Groot

Floyd

AJE

Lawson

Basham

Oliver

Jones

Ford

Phillips

Settle

There’s no room for all of them, at least one should be a trade candidate and for that I nominate Basham. Even when he lines up inside to pass rush I don’t see much that moves the needle. Last year he was clearly outplayed by Lawson. Unless he’s taken major steps thus far in camp (and nothing I read leads me to believe he has), get whatever you can get for him and move on.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

You know, I forgot all about Shaq Lawson. Bills bring 9, or at most 10 DL into the year. 

Miller (PUP?)

Groot

Floyd

AJE

Lawson

Basham

Oliver

Jones

Ford

Phillips

Settle

There’s no room for all of them, at least one should be a trade candidate and for that I nominate Basham. Even when he lines up inside to pass rush I don’t see much that moves the needle. Last year he was clearly outplayed by Lawson. Unless he’s taken major steps thus far in camp (and nothing I read leads me to believe he has), get whatever you can get for him and move on.

So is Basham the next Teller?  

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Miller (PUP?)

Groot

Floyd

AJE

Lawson

Basham

Oliver

Jones

Ford

Phillips

Settle

It's all about Von and the PUP status.  I can't see Von being ready for the Jets.  So, when is he realistically expected to be back?

The only other game I'd like to see him in for during the first 6 weeks is the Miami game in Week 4.  The early schedule is set up pretty good

to let him recover fully.

I say keep Von on PUP for 6 weeks and get him 100%.  Keeping the other 10 gives flexibility against injury and a decision can be made then.

Who knows after 6 weeks what team could be hurting on DL and the possible trade value could increase.

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Miller (PUP?)

Groot

Floyd

AJE

Lawson

Basham

Oliver

Jones

Ford

Phillips

Settle

Assume Rousseau, Floyd, Oliver, Jones are starters. Ford + Settle rotate inside. Epenesa + Lawson rotate outside. I agree - shop Basham. Perhaps still young and versatile enough to have 5th-6th round value to somebody. Cut Phillips as he's the largest cap savings of the fringe group. Miller to PUP. That's eight. 

I've liked Ankou in limited action, but don't see a path forward for him. Assume he'll go the way of Bryant who, of course, I also liked. 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

God forbid if Allen goes down, the Bills should call Fitzpatrick or Brady. 

Looking at the available back-ups, unfortunately a 90-year old Tom Brady is still the best option. Don’t think anyone else left on that “best of the rest” list is going to steal you 2 out of three games. If JA17 is out 4 or more games we’re done anyway. Like, start prepping for the draft, done.

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have couple friends of mine who are diehard fins fans and they really where upset when the Bills signed Sherfield and I really couldn’t figure out why being he was mostly special teams and kinda their 4th receiver…after hearing these training camp reports I can see why dude can play. 

If I remember correctly there was a lot of Dolphin players who reacted negatively when he signed with the Bills too.  They most definitely didn't want to see him go elsewhere, let alone to a division rival.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsGuyInMalta said:

If I remember correctly there was a lot of Dolphin players who reacted negatively when he signed with the Bills too.  They most definitely didn't want to see him go elsewhere, let alone to a division rival.

Yeh apparently so. I thought he was more a special teams signing for Beane but this guy is a legit 3rd or 4th option. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

One update from Matt Parrino:

A couple more:

It was a very physical practice today. They started with run-heavy team period and then we're going the length of the field - really competing. 

Kaiir Elam and Trent Sherfield got into a shoving match in 1v1s.

Then later it was Spencer Brown involved in a few dust ups. One was with Tyrel Dodson as the two pushed each other and then ripped off one another's helmet. Ryan Bates and Dodson had some words at one point also.

One of the best catches of the day came from KeeSean Johnson, going up an invisible ladder to one-hand a throw from Matt Barkley.

Christian Benford recorded ANOTHER INTERCEPTION!

Kyle Allen is going to be seeing no. 47 in his nightmares. Allen was trying to fit in a tight window throw to Justin Shorter, but Benford jumped in front and picked it off while rolling to the turf.

Spencer Brown was extremely physical in the run game today. I thought it was his best practice of camp and maybe that's why he was getting into it with folks. He set the tone. Ryan Bates started at RG but Torrence came in for the full field team drills. On one early rep, Bates missed his block and left Josh Allen wide open to the rush. QB got rid of it fast and stayed upright.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I’d be willing to kick the tires on Brady for backup QB, on a team-friendly, vet minimum type of deal.

😀

I know you are just kidding, but it would be really funny to see Brady standing on the sidelines with a clipboard in hand....no way his over-inflated ego would ever let him be a backup anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have couple friends of mine who are diehard fins fans and they really where upset when the Bills signed Sherfield and I really couldn’t figure out why being he was mostly special teams and kinda their 4th receiver…after hearing these training camp reports I can see why dude can play. 

As far as their prominence in the offense for receiving targets, this seems reasonable:

Diggs
Davis
Kincaid

Knox / Sherfield / Harty / Shakir  =  all mixed in 

Shorter / Isabella / Shavers  = would need to unseat Shakir's active gameday spot as WR5

As of now, I'd see Sherfield as WR3 but likely 5th in actual receiving targets. 

I guess Sherfield could play his way into being above Knox and splitting slot time with Kincaid in 3 Wide sets 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hmmmmmm......

Training camp where you sleep in a dorm without a wife/gf for a few weeks.

Right wrist injury.  

Hmmmmmm.....

Everyone knows that you use your left to mimic what a woman (or man) would do.  Sheeesh

39 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They have no clue.  He’s obviously this years version of Tavon Austin!  

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Outside of Kincaid, I feel like I'm hearing Sherfield's name every day from camp.  I wonder if he doesn't end up being our number 3 and end up with 5+ TD's this season

He was the WR3 (at least looking at yardage) in MIA last year and felt like I heard his name called a lot when I watched MIA games. Guy was just always open if a team had planned well for Waddle and Tyreek.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Assuming he can contribute on ST. To me he's a borderline WR6 right now behind Diggs, Davis, Harty, Sherfield and Shakir. 

He also would take a $323k dead cap hit if cut.  He makes the team unless he plays extremely poorly through the camp/preseason.

It's those 6 and the real battle is for PS spots.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Allen is getting dinged up quite a bit in training camp when he is not supposed to be touched.  The backup QB situation better get fixed quick

They should be fighting daily imo

The days I went last week one thing you couldn't say was that Elam was not competing - dude was working out there

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

A couple more:

One more:

Dorian Williams looking more comfortable by the day - had his best practice today, fitting a gap & made a nice run stop and then sacked Josh Allen during late team period. The more football he plays/time he gets in the defense is allowing him to play faster and it's evident. I'm wondering if we don't see him in some special looks in season.
Tyrell Shavers vs. Alex Austin was great today. They were battling and Austin had a great pass breakup and then Shavers made a concentration catch after tipped pass!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hmmmmmm......

Training camp where you sleep in a dorm without a wife/gf for a few weeks.

Right wrist injury.  

Hmmmmmm.....

37 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Couldn't even wait until after practice 😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

I know you are just kidding, but it would be really funny to see Brady standing on the sidelines with a clipboard in hand....no way his over-inflated ego would ever let him be a backup anywhere.

Rocking a weird jersey number because we refused to give up 12 😂

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Miller (PUP?)

Groot

Floyd

AJE

Lawson

Basham

Oliver

Jones

Ford

Phillips

Settle

I'd agree but the way Beane talked about his performance late last year and McD praised him, plus his versatility and contract, idk if they're willing to take a day 3 pick

Edited by JerseyBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.