Training Camp - 8/7 - 9:45am

The Wiz

54 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

All of those players are likely upgrades from the current backups.  I'd take Matt Ryan or Bridgewater 

Wow weird, doesn't feel that way. Thanks for the info 

It feels that way to most everyone else

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

How many 2nd team edge players get 9 sacks in a season? That seems a tad unreasonable. If you're basing his season success solely on sacks (say that out loud 3times), 6.5 for a backup edge player is actually quite good. 

I agree. But I'm hoping he's playing so well he gets more time on the field.  Sorry I didn't really elaborate on that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Micah Hyde is a big believer in "speaking things into existence", for example with regard to INTs

Wonder if that's what McD is trying here with Shakir, Bernard, and the backup QBs

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is NOT good news on either part, but Allen sounds like maybe precautionary and prudent since he came back and threw.

Dawkins, Not Good.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boco357 said:

After reading todays report and injuries get ready for Matt Barkley show on Saturday.  Vegas also lists Colts as 2.5 favorites so I doubt many guys are going to play.

The Bills could lose every preseason game in a blowout, and I wouldn't care. Just get through these games with no major injuries. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually I got Duke Williams flashbacks when I watched him in person Friday.    He's a tank with massive arms pumping and high effort.......but he's not quick or fast and can't separate in tight coverage so he will not be difficult at all to cover.   He would need to be DeAndre Hopkins-esque at the catch point to be really good, I'd think.   

Duke Williams update......he had a rough game this week for Hamilton.   Zero catches in yet another loss.  

No way Shorter makes the 53…PS fodder fo’ sho.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 5

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Might be a couple guys who have reached the point in their careers where they need to prepare differently in the offseason and put in a little more work on maintenance/self-preservation in season to feel good and recover better.    The "you can't tear fat" philosophy that Josh talked about on Bussin' is a little too open ended, IMO.   Less golf, more stretching perhaps.   And Dion........I mean.......if he were to have gotten himself into fighting shape the past two offseasons he might have played better and gotten his deal extended.   Too good of an athlete to have let himself decline like he did last season.  Now AJ Epenesa is throwing him around in practice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I agree. But I'm hoping he's playing so well he gets more time on the field.  Sorry I didn't really elaborate on that.

Fair enough. But that's a deep room IMO. And when Miller comes back between him, Groot and Floyd there aren't going to likely be many DE snaps available. It's a good problem to have. 

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

My understanding is the Bills rules for media access during practice is that they're not allowed to tweet live during the practice.

I wonder if those rules don't apply during training camp, or, is O'Halloran going to get a trip to the woodshed from the Bills?

I thought it was the specific details that they weren't allowed to tweet.  Stating who's playing where in a specific rep (Torrance lining up at RG for 1st team vs Allen hits diggs over the middle).

I don't know if it's because it's a different voice/person but man, put Bobby Babich in front of a mic more often because I love his energy.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

No way Shorter makes the 53…PS fodder fo’ sho.

Yeah he's definitely not a lock but there isn't a lot of competition.    Hurts him that they don't have a Mitch Trubisky type to throw to him in preseason games.   Kyle Allen has been far worse than expected, it seems. 

• Like (+1) 2

Does Basham give us anything Jonathan Kingsley or Shane Ray cannot? I was against the Wyatt Teller trade when it happened because I saw legitimate promise. I remember his first start against the Jets he played with his head on a swivel and I was impressed by his awareness and physicality. I get none of those promising moments from Basham. Unless those who have been in camp can say otherwise, I wouldn’t mind if Beane traded him for whatever he can get. Go into the season with Groot, Floyd, AJE, and one of Ray or Kingsley. If Miller doesn’t start the year on PUP, I’d go with 4 DEs and stash Ray/Kingsley on the practice squad.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

How many 2nd team edge players get 9 sacks in a season? That seems a tad unreasonable. If you're basing his season success solely on sacks (say that out loud 3times), 6.5 for a backup edge player is actually quite good. 

2021: 37% snap rate, 330 snaps, 1.5 sacks

2022: 38% snap rate, 375 snaps, 6.5 sacks

I think you have a pretty good take here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually I got Duke Williams flashbacks when I watched him in person Friday.    He's a tank with massive arms pumping and high effort.......but he's not quick or fast and can't separate in tight coverage so he will not be difficult at all to cover.   He would need to be DeAndre Hopkins-esque at the catch point to be really good, I'd think.   

Duke Williams update......he had a rough game this week for Hamilton.   Zero catches in yet another loss.  

He had 1 catch for 13 yards, actually: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=AB5stBgf0GINVPUfAORxZWXJPLuYjJ_Xmg:1691422471875&q=Montreal+Alouettes&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLQz9U3yLIoLlzEKuSbn1dSlJqYo-CYk1-aWlKSWgwAdbAgQiEAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_lufc78qAAxXKElkFHTPhBtQQMXoECBsQAg&biw=1920&bih=931&dpr=1#sie=m;/g/11k3_sq8zr;6;/m/0fnw5;tb2;fp;1;;;

Overall, he's having a decent season - 29 catches for 435 yards and 15 ypc through 8 games. Basically, nearly the exact same numbers per game as Gabe Davis last season: https://www.footballdb.com/players/dhaquille-williams-willidh01 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Does Basham give us anything Jonathan Kingsley or Shane Ray cannot? I was against the Wyatt Teller trade when it happened because I saw legitimate promise. I remember his first start against the Jets he played with his head on a swivel and I was impressed by his awareness and physicality. I get none of those promising moments from Basham. Unless those who have been in camp can say otherwise, I wouldn’t mind if Beane traded him for whatever he can get. Go into the season with Groot, Floyd, AJE, and one of Ray or Kingsley. If Miller doesn’t start the year on PUP, I’d go with 4 DEs and stash Ray/Kingsley on the practice squad.

I looked at his stats on PFreference, but couldn't see what side of the line he played on.  My fuzzy memory says he played more RDE in his rookie year, when we didn't have Shaq or Von, but more LDE last year.  Hie decline might be bc he switched to his lesser side?

I prefer to keep him to replace AJ next year, if they choose not to re-up. 

45 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Dawkins got hurt today, so there's that

I know Dawkins hasn't been all we hoped last season or so far this preseason, but considering the alternatives that's a real AwShit moment.

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's what we want to see and hear about from Kincaid.

Although it's not good evidence that Dodson is able to fill the coverage aspect of the MLB role.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

LOL.  What I want to know is - there was clearly a "next level" with the Bills DB and Isaiah McKenzie at times, where he would trash talk them and in return, if he made a reception in practice they would get a little physical (clothesline him and take him to the ground) because they knew they were gonna hear about it, and hear about it, and hear about it some more.

Now McKenzie is fighting for a roster spot on the Colts,  is he gonna get "extra love" from our D?

which DB? or all of them?

One update from Matt Parrino:

Matt here. Practice just finished. Dalton Kincaid made perhaps the catch/play of training camp on a dart from Josh Allen. Tyrel Dodson was draped all over him and maybe holding onto his arm. As the ball was coming in, Kincaid was falling to the ground and managed to trap the ball between his free arm & his shoulder pads. He made the grab and finished the play.

Kincaid showed amazing body control, concentration, and competitiveness at the catch point.

A few plays earlier, Allen threw maybe his best pass of camp on a left pylon throw in a bucket to a sliding Trent Sherfield for a TD. Sherfield got up and kicked the ball celebrating.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.