Bills gave WR N'Keal Harry a try out

HOUSE

• HOUSE changed the title to Bills gave WR N'keal Harry a try out
6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If Shorter doesn't look playable then I even could see them going with 5 WR plus Kincaid.   And the 5th WR might even be someone they trade for at the end of camp who can return kicks and punts if Shakir doesn't prove that he's not a taint' who drops too many passes.   

The fact that they are trying out these scrubs,  the quality of which they wouldn't have looked twice at since 2018,  should be the "sign" for the people who think the Bills have quality depth at WR.    Beane has cut it awful close.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

• HOUSE changed the title to Bills gave WR N'Keal Harry a try out
7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not even August yet and they’re already dumpster diving for receivers.

Them and most likely every other team in the NFL. Teams always have their eyes open for guys that can push the bottom of the depth chart competition. This is nothing new.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not even August yet and they’re already dumpster diving for receivers.

This is what I was afraid of… I predicted that if they didn’t sign DHOP, there was a strong possibility that the Bills would be looking for WR by the trade deadline…

It just seemed obvious to many that they didn’t do enough at receiver this year…fingers 🤞

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I don’t pay enough attention to other teams to know if this is common?

Are other teams roster churning at certain positions like we seem to be doing at WR?

I don’t hate bringing in higher pedigree guys and releasing players that were competing for PS spots, but it just seems …. Somewhat concerning. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

Them and most likely every other team in the NFL. Teams always have their eyes open for guys that can push the bottom of the depth chart competition. This is nothing new.

That's an over-simplification........the Bills WR3 to WR13 consists of two of their own 5th rounders who've yet to prove/impress in the league and a bunch of UDFA's and/or guys released by multiple teams who've AT BEST only had brief stretches of success as WR's in the NFL.    No top 100 picks who haven't washed out like Harry or Isabella have.   Not even one veteran whose had a history of success in reserve.    They are one of the lower pedigree teams in the league in terms of depth behind WR1 and WR2.

The Kincaid 12 personnel thing REALLY has to work out.  More riding on that than you'd like to see for a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Are other teams roster churning at certain positions like we seem to be doing at WR?

I don’t hate bringing in higher pedigree guys and releasing players that were competing for PS spots, but it just seems …. Somewhat concerning. 

All teams do this. If you aren't trying guys out regularly you aren't doing your job 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The guy is only 25, He needs to stay healthy and find a real quarterback 

He couldn't get open in college.    He doesn't need a better QB he needs to play in a league where QB's just chuck and duck the ball into traffic to avoid hits.  That would be the XFL or USFL.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Shorter doesn't look playable then I even could see them going with 5 WR plus Kincaid.   And the 5th WR might even be someone they trade for at the end of camp who can return kicks and punts if Shakir doesn't prove that he's not a taint' who drops too many passes.   

The fact that they are trying out these scrubs,  the quality of which they wouldn't have looked twice at since 2018,  should be the "sign" for the people who think the Bills have quality depth at WR.    Beane has cut it awful close.

Eagles tried him out. Moreso just camp bodies.

Diggs,davis,harty,Shakir and Sherfield is solid with Knox Kincaid 

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

How did it go ?

It was productive.

46 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, they do. Further, teams tend to look for guys they liked coming out of college. Former high draft picks especially. If you look at the Bills specifically you'll see that a good chunk of guys they bring in fit this mold and some are even guys they had in on pre draft visits. 

Even if they don't sign them today it's always good to get a look and keep names handy in case of a run of injury at a position. Due diligence.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He couldn't get open in college.    He doesn't need a better QB he needs to play in a league where QB's just chuck and duck the ball into traffic to avoid hits.  That would be the XFL or USFL.   

This does not sound good 😕 

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Beast said:

This plus they can get an eye on emergency signings for later in season. A lot of hand wringing over nothing.  Best case- he looks like he could push bottom of roster.

Worst case- rash string of injuries on a short week, and we have a ranked list of possible WRs to reach out to for emergency.

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

All teams do this. If you aren't trying guys out regularly you aren't doing your job 

Few realize the hefty fees collected by football clubs for auditioning these potential signings.  Helps mitigate cap crunch and other financial headaches teams are forced to endure...

😉😇

I liked him at Arizona State. 

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think Beane is about the best I have seen at always trying to upgrade his back ups. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bills bring in another difference maker! Yet, OBJ and Dhop are signed elsewhere. 

Beane knows more then us. Guess we have to trust the process. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

I think the staff Buffalo has is more thorough in their due diligence than they have ever been in the past.  I think they have data on hundreds of players who have been in the NFL, XFL, CFL, Arena football and others (if there are any others).  I don't know if they were specifically looking to upgrade the back end of their WR group when they brought in Isabella and Harry (and any others) or it was a routine visit like lots of players make throughout the year.  Obviously, the Bills liked what they saw in Isabella over what they saw in Harry, but that doesn't mean they have necessarily eliminated Harry from future consideration should the need arise.  In any case, if there is a player out there who can help the Bills, the Bills' pro personnel staff is going to do their best to find them.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This is what I was afraid of… I predicted that if they didn’t sign DHOP, there was a strong possibility that the Bills would be looking for WR by the trade deadline…

It just seemed obvious to many that they didn’t do enough at receiver this year…fingers 🤞

Sir

That’s just Brandon been doing his due diligence does it every year

We are pretty deep at wide receiver, especially if you count Kincaid as a wide receiver

10 hours ago, Beast said:

Exactly Beastmode.  They work these guys out as backups to the 69 of you include PS, and when one guy goes down, they have already worked out some guys to make them a cheap offer after the season starts so their salary is not guaranteed.

Just know you’ll read about another 7-10 guys by the end of August.  As Beast points out it’s an every year occurrence for as long as I can remember.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Sir

That’s just Brandon been doing his due diligence does it every year

We are pretty deep at wide receiver, especially if you count Kincaid as a wide receiver

I wouldn't say the Bills are deep at the WR position. There are a lot of unknowns. The quality of the Bills WRs seem questionable after Diggs. A lot of guys will have to improve and step up their game. That certainly can happen. 

On paper, I would say the Bills WR core looks average. Allen can make average WRs look very good though. 

Personally, I wish the Bills upgraded the position more. Kicking the can with guys like Isabella and Harry don't get me excited whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Wide receiver is not an issue

It was last year. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I wouldn't say the Bills are deep at the WR position. There are a lot of unknowns. The quality of the Bills WRs seem questionable after Diggs. A lot of guys will have to improve and step up their game. That certainly can happen. 

On paper, I would say the Bills WR core looks average. Allen can make average WRs look very good though. 

Personally, I wish the Bills upgraded the position more. Kicking the can with guys like Isabella and Harry don't get me excited whatsoever. 

You have one of the best wide receivers in the league

Then you have a second receiver. They give  you 800 yards in a down year.

The third options on the team are plenty

If you wanna call Dalton an unknown, that’s fine

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You have one of the best wide receivers in the league

Then you have a second receiver. They give  you 800 yards in a down year.

The third options on the team are plenty

If you wanna call Dalton an unknown, that’s fine

Let's dig a little further here. Diggs is excellent and I'd be foolish to say otherwise. However, let's look at Diggs the playoff WR. Clearly, his production falls off dramatically. Why? One big factor is because teams double Diggs and take him out of the game. We've seen this time after time. 

Davis burned the Chiefs two years ago. However, Davis was mostly an after thought and a WR 3/4 at that time. Davis as a WR2 doesn't exactly scare defenses. He's an average WR2 at best. Pointing to 800 yards of production only gives you limited insight. There are many other stats that aren't as glowing. No need to rehash them. Davis doesn't suck but I'd advocate an upgrade was needed. Davis as a WR3 would be much more viable. 

The rest of the WRs are nothing to sneeze about. Bunch of recycled players that hopefully can be productive. Others are young and unproven. I just don't see this WR core as a strength of the team. Nor do I see it as a weakness. It's middling. I have my doubts if it's good enough to compete for a deep playoff run. Then again Mahomes won it all on one leg and a subpar WR group. 

The real out for the Bills is Allen, Dorsey, and the oline.  Allen can make this mediocre core of WRs better. I have no doubt the Bills offense will be productive but that's mostly because of Allen. Dorsey has to put Allen in the best positions to succeed. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.