Burrow hurt UPDATE: Per Taylor: It’s a calf strain; will be out “several” weeks

Big Blitz

41 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Is it really his calf?  They were calling Durant's injury a "calf injury" until it ended up being his achilles.

Lest we forget Tua’s “back” injury. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Is it really his calf?  They were calling Durant's injury a "calf injury" until it ended up being his achilles.

Well an achilles injury is a "calf injury". Unless they say it's the gastrocnemius or soleus, or anything specific- it could be a torn achilles. Just saying Calf Injury sounds like they're being intentionally vague.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Odd to call it “misguided.” That pang of regret would be personal, perhaps selfish. I wouldn’t want the Bills to win their first Super Bowl in an empty pandemic stadium nor against a team whose QB goes down in the first quarter. That long-anticipated payoff needs to be righteous. But that’s just me.

At this point we just need a win in the last game of the post season, 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yup … but no one gives af that we entered the post-season mentally drained and with:

-Allen, torn UCL

-Phillips injured 

-Poyer injured 

-Davis injured 

-Von OUT

-Jones OUT

-Hyde OUT

-Hamlin OUT

All anyone remembers is that we didn’t even bother showing up in the Divisional Round and KC was able to beat a Bengals squad with a decimated OL to get to, yet another, Super Bowl. 

I always say the Patriots division titles are tainted. Not because they were caught cheating multiple times, but they played in a horrible division for 15 years 

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

You’re right. No gives af if a team was injured during an important game. Only results matter.

The Bengals, as you noted, beat up on us with a decimated OL. Then the following week got beat by a team with a hobbled qb and decimated wr corp. But no one remembers that about KC. I guess that’s why players don’t use injuries as excuses. They get the job done with who’s available or they don’t. Us fans on the other hand…

Lest we forget how the refs played a major role in both KC's win over Cincy and Philly.

30 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

For throwing flags in plays that were actual penalties?

I was fine with the Cincy call, I felt like that was a good call but that penalty in the SB where they weren't calling anything and that got called was mind boggling to me. I'm not 1 to think sports are rigged but when things like that happen it always makes me question it. How do you call basically nothing throughout the game (9 total penalties and 6 of them were pre snap infractions) and then you make that bush league call on the grandest stage? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

For throwing flags in plays that were actual penalties?

Lets be honest, any homer whose team won is gonna think the refs did a good job, thats true for the fans of every team in the league.  As someone who has no ill will towards KC, who had no agenda on who won, and only cared about winning his SB squares...I can say from an unbiased point of view that the Chiefs benefited from some calls...lets say "questionable" calls that many would call "bad" calls.  

But hey, that is true for most games, where normally one team benefits more from how the refs called that game vs the other team.  It also doesn't hurt to have a face of the league type player at QB either, ask Brady and the Pats.  

5 hours ago, wjag said:

So what is a calf strain?  Is it analogous to a hamstring on the front of the leg?  And do they linger like hammys?

I don't wish to be a jerk, but I'm having difficulty understanding this post? Both hamstrings AND calves are on the BACK of the leg. 

Hammies are problematic AF for speed guys, and can def linger. Calves are less prevalent for smaller, speedier athletes, but can definitely linger nonetheless. As some have pointed out, an ongoing calf issue CAN absolutely be a precursor to an achilles injury. 

For what it's worth, I'll vote on the side of achilles tears being MUCH less demonstrably painful than ACLs, for example. I recall Marino and Takeo Spikes as examples of guys who very calmly knew immediately what had happened and didn't writhe in pain much at all. People have pointed out other similar examples. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets be honest, any homer whose team won is gonna think the refs did a good job, thats true for the fans of every team in the league.  As someone who has no ill will towards KC, who had no agenda on who won, and only cared about winning his SB squares...I can say from an unbiased point of view that the Chiefs benefited from some calls...lets say "questionable" calls that many would call "bad" calls.  

But hey, that is true for most games, where normally one team benefits more from how the refs called that game vs the other team.  It also doesn't hurt to have a face of the league type player at QB either, ask Brady and the Pats.  

The call at the end is a penalty 9 times out of 10. The issue is the 10th is normally inside the final 4 minutes of games where the refs generally try and let the players play and especially so in the post-season. Remember that was the only defensive hold called in the entire Superbowl. If that flag was thrown with 14 minutes left to play, everyone says "yea, soft, but by the letter a penalty" and moves on with their day. James Bradberry himself accepted after the game he tugged the jersey, knew that was a hold but was hoping given the situation they'd let it slide. But when a soft "technical" penalty like that basically decides a game that good, in the Superbowl..... everyone, except Chiefs fans understandably, felt like it was anti-climactic. 

EDIT: reminded me a bit of the Bills - Rams game early in 2020 when Gabe was held on 4th down in the endzone at the end. That was a similar one. Soft, but a technical foul. You just don't expect them called in that situation, that late, game on the line. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

I strained my calf before.  Was pretty painful.  Was chasing a pop fly in baseball... it felt like someone punched my calf as hard as they could.  I thought it was my Achilles.

Made it very tough to be doing any sort of running motion for quite a bit.  I'm sure nfl players have access to much better healing and pain suppressing measures than I though

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The call at the end is a penalty 9 times out of 10. The issue is the 10th is normally inside the final 4 minutes of games where the refs generally try and let the players play and especially so in the post-season. Remember that was the only defensive hold called in the entire Superbowl. If that flag was thrown with 14 minutes left to play, everyone says "yea, soft, but by the letter a penalty" and moves on with their day. James Bradberry himself accepted after the game he tugged the jersey, knew that was a hold but was hoping given the situation they'd let it slide. But when a soft "technical" penalty like that basically decides a game that good, in the Superbowl..... everyone, except Chiefs fans understandably, felt like it was anti-climactic. 

EDIT: reminded me a bit of the Bills - Rams game early in 2020 when Gabe was held on 4th down in the endzone at the end. That was a similar one. Soft, but a technical foul. You just don't expect them called in that situation, that late, game on the line. 

grabbing a jersey should be a called hold 10/10 times. 

9 hours ago, 947 said:

Well an achilles injury is a "calf injury". Unless they say it's the gastrocnemius or soleus, or anything specific- it could be a torn achilles. Just saying Calf Injury sounds like they're being intentionally vague.

In hockey terms, Joe has a “lower body injury.” 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

grabbing a jersey should be a called hold 10/10 times. 

I agree if you are applying the rule book properly that is a penalty. It is my biggest complaint with NFL refereeing. I don't moan "too many flags" yadda, yadda, I moan about the seemingly inconsistent situational standards. Not saying the Bills would have won the 2020 AFCCG otherwise, the Chiefs were better than us, but I had got as familiar as Ward did with the inside of Stefon Diggs's jersey that day I'd be on a charge.... and the official line on the officiating crew was "they wanted to let them play because it was the championship game." That baffles me. Equally the normal "turn a blind eye it is the final 2 minutes and the game's on the line" is hard to explain. Just referee the games by the book week 1 to Superbowl Sunday, minute 1 to minute 60. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree if you are applying the rule book properly that is a penalty. It is my biggest complaint with NFL refereeing. I don't moan "too many flags" yadda, yadda, I moan about the seemingly inconsistent situational standards. Not saying the Bills would have won the 2020 AFCCG otherwise, the Chiefs were better than us, but I had got as familiar as Ward did with the inside of Stefon Diggs's jersey that day I'd be on a charge.... and the official line on the officiating crew was "they wanted to let them play because it was the championship game." That baffles me. Equally the normal "turn a blind eye it is the final 2 minutes and the game's on the line" is hard to explain. Just referee the games by the book week 1 to Superbowl Sunday, minute 1 to minute 60. 

This inconsistency is why the Broncos Seahawks Super Bowl was so terrible. Peyton and his WR’s basically played a different game with a different set of rules with how physical the Seahawks were allowed to play.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What made it more absurd was 2 weeks later the Chiefs were getting called for holding non-stop, of course Brady🙄

• Like (+1) 1

Good. I find the Bungles to be the most pompous bunch of clowns in the AFC. Burrow is so fake it makes me puke. I hope he is OK though so we can pound the snot out of them this season. Watching Kincaid yesterday at SJF... man.. we scored a stud!! And Sherfield is a presence too. Reminds me of Freddy Jackson in stature and hustle. The dude is a ball player 100%.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

This inconsistency is why the Broncos Seahawks Super Bowl was so terrible. Peyton and his WR’s basically played a different game with a different set of rules with how physical the Seahawks were allowed to play.

Manning completed 69% of 43 passes.  The problem was he turned the ball over 3 times leading to 3 scores.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Manning completed 69% of 43 passes.  The problem was he turned the ball over 3 times leading to 3 scores.

Sorry you’re not gonna convince me with that cherry picked stat, I watched the game.

Manning had 49 attempts for 280 yards.  Broncos didn’t get a first down til the 2nd Q.

40 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Good. I find the Bungles to be the most pompous bunch of clowns in the AFC. Burrow is so fake it makes me puke. I hope he is OK though so we can pound the snot out of them this season. Watching Kincaid yesterday at SJF... man.. we scored a stud!! And Sherfield is a presence too. Reminds me of Freddy Jackson in stature and hustle. The dude is a ball player 100%.

I saw some clips of I'm assuming a recent interview with Caleb Pressley from barstool, they're hilarious and Josh did 1 a while ago. Anyway Burrow definitely sounded fake and smug. So glad i don't have to root for a qb with that type of personality

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like to think of that PI as deserved retribution for the worst call I've ever seen in my life earlier that game, when Tyler Kroft went up for a pass, caught it, came down with it, stood up with it. But because the DB tried to pull it out when they were on the ground, the refs called it an interception, which kick started the rams comeback in the first place 

Mahomes had hit every single pass in the second half to that point.  The throw in question landed 3 yards over Juju's head.  When a hold is the difference between a touchdown and a well thrown ball becoming completely uncatchable, you have to throw the flag.  Bradberry knew he was cooked, so he held. 

Yes, it was anticlimactic.  That doesn't mean the ref should have swallowed the whistle and let Philadelphia prevent a TD by grabbing a jersey.

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

Mahomes had hit every single pass in the second half to that point.  The throw in question landed 3 yards over Juju's head.  When a hold is the difference between a touchdown and a well thrown ball becoming completely uncatchable, you have to throw the flag.  Bradberry knew he was cooked, so he held. 

Yes, it was anticlimactic.  That doesn't mean the ref should have swallowed the whistle and let Philadelphia prevent a TD by grabbing a jersey.

I wasn't arguing that. Just arguing the often differing standards are frustrating.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't disagree with this, and that is the heart of the problem, consistency in how they call games.  This wasn't the only ref impact though, for example, throughout the game there were calls the Eagles should have gotten but didn't that the Chiefs got away with.  Again, totally happens every game, and like most games there is usually a team that felt like they the better end of the stick with how the refs called the game overall, and for me that was the Chiefs that game.   

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

I never understood this point of view.  It sounds great and all on an online message board, I guess...but...

I hope he misses our game and it allows us to beat them handily, and we turn a LOSS into a WIN.

I approach it from the military perspective.  I'm not looking for fair fights here, just victory, as easily as possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, wppete said:

Damn it. That’s awful… but looks like he has a brace or tape on his calf before the injury… could be a pre existing injury. 

which begs the question if true: why on earth if he had a pretexting calf injury would he be practicing, and if practicing, why would you let him run~! 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I never understood this point of view.  It sounds great and all on an online message board, I guess...but...

I hope he misses our game and it allows us to beat them handily, and we turn a LOSS into a WIN.

I approach it from the military perspective.  I'm not looking for fair fights here, just victory, as easily as possible.

Trust me, the pats didn’t care that we marched out a dog’s dinner of qbs year after year on their way to super bowls. We shouldn’t either. Do you think they ever thought, man I wish Kolb didn’t slip on that mat. I want to get to the sb the right way. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sorry you’re not gonna convince me with that cherry picked stat, I watched the game.

Manning had 49 attempts for 280 yards.  Broncos didn’t get a first down til the 2nd Q.

Because he kept turning the ball over.  I thought you watched the game.

Manning won a SB with Broncos with 13 passes completed

3 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Kincaid in 2 years will be a top 5 TE.  And hopefully Sherfield & Harty develop into the receivers we need them to be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

If that were the case then 80% of pass plays would be defensive holding calls. Defensive backs do it because they know it most likely will not be called.

Not 80% no. Most past plays are to a receiver not within grasping distance of a DB

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Because he kept turning the ball over.  I thought you watched the game.

Manning won a SB with Broncos with 13 passes completed

Very cool stat and utterly meaningless.

Yes, they had 3 TO's.  Manning also couldn't throw the ball downfield because his receivers were getting mugged. Of his first 13 attempts, 1 was completed for more than 10 yards.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't disagree with this, and that is the heart of the problem, consistency in how they call games.  This wasn't the only ref impact though, for example, throughout the game there were calls the Eagles should have gotten but didn't that the Chiefs got away with.  Again, totally happens every game, and like most games there is usually a team that felt like they the better end of the stick with how the refs called the game overall, and for me that was the Chiefs that game.   

Like the fumble returned for a TD by the Chiefs that was overturned?  Nobody remembers all the calls losing teams get.

Edited by Billl

15 hours ago, 947 said:

Like NHL vague. Upper body or lower body injury.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.