OT…opinions of Jalen Hurts

I was just checking the Madden rankings of the Olines and the Bills currently have a grade of one player above 80 that would be Dawkins sitting at 81.

By contrast the Eagles have a line where every single player has a grade above 80 with Lane Johnson scoring out at 98. 

I keep hearing from the talking heads that Hurts is in Josh Allen’s class but after seeing what protects him Hurts probably is closer to 6-10 in the league kinda guy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was just checking the Madden rankings of the Olines and the Bills currently have a grade of one player above 80 that would be Dawkins sitting at 81.

By contrast the Eagles have a line where every single player has a grade above 80 with Lane Johnson scoring out at 98. 

I keep hearing from the talking heads that Hurts is in Josh Allen’s class but after seeing what protects him Hurts probably is closer to 6-10 in the league kinda guy.

He played at an elite level last season.  I think Josh would’ve been MVP and won the Super Bowl if he played with that roster.  But that’s not the reality.

Mahomes played several seasons with Tyreek hill and Travis Kelce while having Andy Reid call his plays.  He benefitted greatly from from that trio.  He’s now minus Tyreek who was traded out for a great very good OL.  He’s still the best QB in the league.  There’s no dispute. Regardless of who’s calling plays and his supporting cast.  

Hurts was spectacular and I think that spectacular play will continue for another 5-10 years.  He’s a good kid, an extremely hard worker and a hell of an athlete.  

• Agree 2

They have very good coaches as well. It's quite the embarrassment of riches. 

Hurts is an excellent QB and he compliments that roster very well.

But, there are a few QBs in this league that would have done quite well with that line up, ours being one of them.  

• Like (+1) 2

Hurts surprised me with the absolute dimes he was throwing in the Super Bowl. He was extremely decisive too. I thought he clearly outplayed Pat until Pat turned into the Grim Reaper the 2nd half. I know Hurts was slowed by an injury all year too, so his ascension to the top has been very fast, like Josh. 

Great line, great weapons, and great results

where he balances out? Still unknown. 

of the elite young guys… it’s hard to find one that’s had a tougher situation than Josh. All had stretches with the truly elite overindexing of talent around them while on the rookie deal. 

It's interesting to me how people's statements about Hurts track the early conventional wisdom about him.  "Hurts surprised me" in the Super Bowl, and things like that.   I feel that way about him to.   It's as though based on whatever preliminary view of him was, he can't be as good as he looked last season.  For me, I thought he was primarily a runner and an inaccurate guy who probably couldn't get it done in the pocket.   All last season I didn't want to give up that view.   

For me at least, and maybe others, I've got start believing what we all saw last season.   Yes, he may have nice talent around him, but - dang! - the guy makes plays, over and over.  He makes the runs, he creates, and he delivers the football.  

I am not a believer in ratings like these, but having seen the Bills offensive line last sign, it's not hard to believe that the Eagles was better.   I'll give you that.  But line or not, Hurts consistently played high quality winning football.  Can he do it again?  We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Hurts is a very good QB but he has an incredible team around him.  But regardless of how good his o-line is he's still my #5 QB after Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Rodgers.

Until proven otherwise, he’s ahead of the guys like dak and cousins for sure. Ahead of tua. 

And behind those 4…. You mention. 

leaves him in the Herbert-Lamar range. 

strange to think how fast Russ Wilson plummeted out of these talks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

There are not 5 QBs in football better than Jalen Hurts currently.  

Outside of that costly fumble, he was great in the Super Bowl.  

I love Allen but Hurts could be better than him. The guy is fabulous with his legs, has that it factor, is a winner, and has become a very good passer. He had an outstanding season and super bowl. 

I still have Allen ranked higher but I can see why Hurts is receiving a lot of accolades. He looks the part. Only question is can he build upon his great season and play similarly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Until proven otherwise, he’s ahead of the guys like dak and cousins for sure. Ahead of tua. 

And behind those 4…. You mention. 

leaves him in the Herbert-Lamar range. 

strange to think how fast Russ Wilson plummeted out of these talks. 

Excellent.  That's a great ranking of the QBs in the league. 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I like the kid. I was skeptical before last season but in the games I watched,  he did look competent and managed the offense well. He had a superior supporting cast but that doesn't mean he isn't good.  Of course he had to prove that last year was not a fluke but he appears to be hard working and is tough not to cheer for him if he is not playing the Bills. 

And not every evaluation has to meander into a comparison with Allen.  He can be not at the same level of Mahomes, Allen and Burrow but still be considered a good QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Eagles had a historically easy schedule in 2022. I mean look at this thing. 

image.thumb.png.087e41a4d2371b86403d77b0e064b536.png

Then they end up with the 49ers in the NFC championships and they lose every QB on the roster. 

Hurts benefited from a lot of timing/RPO's. The Scrum QB sneak play. I mean how valuable would a guaranteed 1-2 yards every time you had to have it be? They can't do that this year. If he can do anything close this year I will be impressed. Sirianni did a great job building an offense around him that was basically perfect for what he could do.  But give the league a year of tape. It's always that way. If he can duplicate his 22 campaign he deserves a lot of credit and is among the best in the league.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not sold on Hurts yet.   I am a college football fan and he really was limited as a passer in college.   He's improved A LOT but nobody had a better combination of blocking and receiving talent around him last year.   

I agree, truthfully i like the kid so not wishing him to fizzle out, but jeez i never saw this coming after watching him in college either. Lot of tape out on him and the scheme they run so will have a better feel for where he is heading as a pro Qb after this year.

Edited by Dan in Owego
  • Like (+1) 1

Madden is quick to react at some things and slow to react to others.

Do not put too much stock in their ratings. They are wrong about a lot of players in both directions.

If the Bills offensive line comes out and dominates, in 3 years they'll have a good Madden rating (as long as it becomes a national narrative, that is).

On Jalen Hurts I have been watching games at a local bar because I can not always deal with driving the distance to my Bills Bar and became associated with an Eagles fan.  In 2020 I told him that they had a QB which was going to be a starter in league who would be a top 5 QB in NFL and he said he was just a place holder.  In 2021 he started most of season and said he certainly was improving and I told him the team was not yet adapted to his strengths and next year he would be winning playoff games.  Following year he was much more optimistic and he started buying me drinks which he was paying via some bets he was placing and during playoffs he told me he won some tickets and if I was interested in going I could go for list price but I told him I did not have time off since I was able to work a lot of overtime.

Jalen Hurts is a player you can mold a team around and while he may not dominate games he makes good decisions and is athletic enough to make plays when needed to win games.

Regardless of what the pundits say, Hurts is not great at tight window throws.  Philly management must also recognize this because of their effort to give him receivers that gain significant separation.  Other than this average accuracy, he is very good.  I think he is number 3 or 4 overall depending on how you view Burrow.

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I don't think he's that special. 20 some pass TDs isn't great.

5 hours ago, julian said:

22 passing TDs with those weapons and that oline… he has a ways to go before being an elite QB

When people debate Allen's place in the top end of QBs us Bills fans are always quick to point out that you have to incorporate Josh's rushing ability into the equation. Same should apply to Hurts.

Minimize him for 22 passing YDs, but don't forget to stack those 13 rushing TDs he scored last year or the fact that he only turned the ball over 6 times in the regular season.

Is Hurts an "elite" QB? No, not yet. He had an elite season last year and is trending in that direction IMO.  

• Like (+1) 2

Hurts really surprised me with how he looked in the super bowl as well.  I had seen him quite a bit at Alabama and Oklahoma, and expected him to be more a Tyrod Taylor type pro. 

He made very few what I would call "wow" plays in college or taking the team on his back and winning a game. He will have to back it up but he looked like a top 4-7 qb in the league last year which I never expected to be the case. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

Jalen Hurts is the goods.  He’s a dawg and impacts games with his arms, legs and leadership.   I’m not surprised either.  He has the attitude and work ethic of a winner, even in college when he worked his way through adversity.

We will see.  He had a future All Pro cast of receivers at Alabama and wasn't a prolific passer and was ultimately benched for Tua.   With the 2nd best 1-2 punch last year at WR......behind Miami and with Jamar Chase missing so much time in Cinci.......Jalen Hurts threw for just 22 TD's.    I think he has a lot of intangibles and a supporting cast that greatly simplifies his job........but circumstances change..........and I just don't know if he can expand the field the way guys like Mahomes and Allen can or dissect a secondary with precision like Burrow.   And those are ultimately the standards.   

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not sold on Hurts yet.   I am a college football fan and he really was limited as a passer in college.   He's improved A LOT but nobody had a better combination of blocking and receiving talent around him last year.   

So was Josh Allen. Hurts was like the number 1 recruit in the country. So his talent has been known.

dude got benched for Tua and a lot of guys would sulk and blame other people. He was a great teammate, helped them win a championship, and nearly won at a Heisman at Oklahoma. 

every thing you hear about him is how great of guy he is and how hard of a worker. He has gotten better ever year. He is so much like Allen, it’s scary. The Eagles would also kill teams by halftime so his stats could have been even better. In the garbage nfc, the Eagles have as good of shot to win the SB as any team in the nfl and hurts is a major reason why. 

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We will see.  He had a future All Pro cast of receivers at Alabama and wasn't a prolific passer and was ultimately benched for Tua.   With the 2nd best 1-2 punch last year at WR......behind Miami and with Jamar Chase missing so much time in Cinci.......Jalen Hurts threw for just 22 TD's.    I think he has a lot of intangibles and a supporting cast that greatly simplifies his job........but circumstances change..........and I just don't know if he can expand the field the way guys like Mahomes and Allen can or dissect a secondary with precision like Burrow.   And those are ultimately the standards.   

Why are so hung up on the Alabama thing? He transferred, completed nearly 70% of his passes, and had 32 tds at Oklahoma. How were Joe Burrows stats at Ohio State before he played with one of the greatest receiver groups in college football history at LSU?

some guys just get better. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, julian said:

22 passing TDs with those weapons and that oline… he has a ways to go before being an elite QB

So we're just going to leave out the 13 rushing TDs?

Winning is the goal, not stats.  Justin Herbert puts up gaudy stats.  What has it ever led to?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

When people debate Allen's place in the top end of QBs us Bills fans are always quick to point out that you have to incorporate Josh's rushing ability into the equation. Same should apply to Hurts.

Minimize him for 22 passing YDs, but don't forget to stack those 13 rushing TDs he scored last year or the fact that he only turned the ball over 6 times in the regular season.

Is Hurts an "elite" QB? No, not yet. He had an elite season last year and is trending in that direction IMO.  

Compare that to Allen's 35 pass to 7 rush.

• Like (+1) 1

Jalen Hurts probably has the best O-Line in football, and one of the best #1-2 WR combos.  Not to mention his breakout season happened during a ridiculously easy schedule in 2022.

I want to see him continue the high-level of play for multiple seasons, before I rank him ahead of guys who have been doing it for 3-4 years (or even longer).

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His improvement reminds me a lot like Allen's improvement. 

I do need to see more before I'm sold on him. However, he looks to be dynamic and dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.