Wisconsin blog speculating about AJ Dillon and the Bills

https://wisportsheroics.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-green-bay-packers-aj-dillon/

First, let me say I doubt it, but we’re bored a week before camp.  I was looking for something else and this thing popped up in a search.  He would be an upgrade over Harris as he matches that style more than Cook.

Comment however you guys like, just giving you guys something to look at before camp.

Enjoy the speculation ( that’s all I think it is at this point)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Why not make this trade before signing Harris and Murray?  Not buying it.

I’m not necessarily buying this report, especially since it reads like it was written in crayon by one of the kids in this guys photo, but the contracts for Harris and Murray are hardly the sort of commitments that would keep the Bills from upgrading… they were intentionally put together in a way that they didn’t offset the comp pick algorithm, hardly cap busting and hardly a guarantee of a roster spot. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Right.  Pure gobbledygook.   

Would be on par for the way Beane works though, like bringing in a bunch of middling slot receivers on arguably overpaid contracts and then using your number 1 draft pick on a tight end and pivoting to running a more 12 man personnel.   

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Murray is Duke Johnson this year. A vet who can be practice squad break glass when fire kind of guy.

Harris is insurance at the short yardage for Cook is not a 3 down back. 

It doesn't make any sense that there continues to be speculation about other RB's possibly joining the Bills.  This is the deepest RB backfield we've had in years.

Cook - Has lots of promise

Harris - Proven quality RB

Latavius Murray - Continues to produce at a good level

Hines - Speedy, really good return guy who has shown the ability to play well

We are set at RB, there isn't a need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Right.  Pure gobbledygook.   

Would be on par for the way Beane works though, like bringing in a bunch of middling slot receivers on arguably overpaid contracts and then using your number 1 draft pick on a tight end and pivoting to running a more 12 man personnel.   

🙄

16 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

🙄

I hate to knock Beane too much because I do love the guy and nobody knew how the offseason was going to play out but 2 years 13.5 million for Harty doesn't seem so great in retrospect.   The colts signed McKenzie for 1.1 million.   I doubt Harty is going to have the same production that McK did last year here for 6 times the price. Especially when he is going to have to split reps with Shakir and now Kincaid.   I woulda rather saved that 13 million on Harty and made a real stab at a true number 2 in Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

I hate to knock Beane too much because I do love the guy and nobody knew how the offseason was going to play out but 2 years 13.5 million for Harty doesn't seem so great in retrospect.   The colts signed McKenzie for 1.1 million.   I doubt Harty is going to have the same production that McK did last year here for 6 times the price. Especially when he is going to have to split reps with Shakir and now Kincaid.   I woulda rather saved that 13 million on Harty and made a real stab at a true number 2 in Hopkins.

What does this have to do with AJ Dillon?  

Also - why not let the guy play a little first before we knock him.  It's a massively incentive laden contract with an out after 1 year.  Clearly Mckenzie was the same player in 2022 that he was years and years before that, so you walk away because there isn't a place for him at this organization.  Doesn't mean we don't want an elusive return man/WR/Gadget player in the offense.  Hopkins was on the cardinals when we signed harty, we probably inquired and balked at price and signed a free agent.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Magox said:

It doesn't make any sense that there continues to be speculation about other RB's possibly joining the Bills.  This is the deepest RB backfield we've had in years.

Yeah, I bet you thought the same thing about WR last year.  All you just said is,  there isn’t a starter on the team.  It’s a bunch of JAGs, one who is fast and was over drafted by a team with a reputation for wasting higher draft picks on poor RBs, so you are expecting a lot from him. 

31 minutes ago, Lost said:

This is why Beane deserves far more criticism than he gets.  He gets infatuated with “potential” and over spends on players that don’t need to be paid for, then we all sit here and say, “ would love X, but we don’t have the cap space.” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

People still need to write things so fans can get all worked up. It's the new journalism. Just make stuff up to get a reaction. You're right. Makes no sense to make this trade right before camp plus doubtful Pack want to get rid of him

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

First, let me say I doubt it, but we’re bored a week before camp.  I was looking for something else and this thing popped up in a search.  He would be an upgrade over Harris as he matches that style more than Cook.

Comment however you guys like, just giving you guys something to look at before camp.

I believe Damien Harris is the perfect RB for this offense. If he can stay healthy, I see a Fred Jackson type impact to the offense

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Especially when juxtaposed with all the talk of how devalued and unimportant the RB position has become.

We have enough horses already with those 4. Beane should be focusing on pretty much any other part of the roster.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Meh. We are never set. Cook showed potential, Harris is good.

Murray and Hines won't have much impact if at all. If it weren't for kickoff returns last year we'd be saying nyquiem who? And I think Murray turn 106 next month.

Realistically you have to look at positions and longevity. Like hiring in business, everyone you hire isn't a "lifer", but you are ALWAYS searching for that. Cook is probably the only one in the RB room that FO views as long termer. If they think Dillon would be a suitable compliment to Cook, go for it. Cook is the only one that matters.

Put the way my grandpa would have put it, "Don't trip over dollars [Dillon] to pick up pennies [Murray/Hines]"

...though the same could be said for Hardy/Sherfield and Hopkins.

• Agree 1

In other news- 

Madden 24 RB Rating- 

Damian Harris- 79

Latavious Murray- 76

Nyhiem Hines- 75

James Cook- 75

Cook has the same rating a Bummie Basham- who is rated higher than AJ Epenesa and Shaq Lawson. Damian Harris is rated higher than Leonard Floyd. 

It’s one of the reasons that I rent madden from GameFly for 2 weeks each year, then return it and never play again.  I’ll never buy another copy.  Come back 2k!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yeah the source of this article feels really questionable at best, I can see the interest being a possibility but doubt it especially this late into the offseason unless Harris/Murray didn't show anything in camp. 

34 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I believe Damien Harris is the perfect RB for this offense. If he can stay healthy, I see a Fred Jackson type impact to the offense

Agree 100%. 

Last year Motor had 177 carries and 52 targets. 229 total opportunities. Those won't all go to Cook. I just don't think he's built for that. 

Cook had 89 carries and 32 targets. 121 total opportunities. I do expect an increase there but not by a whole lot. 2-3 extra carries a game and 2-3 extra targets a game possibly. I see him in that 150-175 opportunity range this year. 

I believe for the most part Harris will soak up the majority of touches/targets that Motor had last year (if healthy) leaving Cook a bit fresher and able to break out as the more big play threat.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Meh. We are never set. Cook showed potential, Harris is good.

Murray and Hines won't have much impact if at all. If it weren't for kickoff returns last year we'd be saying nyquiem who? And I think Murray turn 106 next month.

Realistically you have to look at positions and longevity. Like hiring in business, everyone you hire isn't a "lifer", but you are ALWAYS searching for that. Cook is probably the only one in the RB room that FO views as long termer. If they think Dillon would be a suitable compliment to Cook, go for it. Cook is the only one that matters.

Put the way my grandpa would have put it, "Don't trip over dollars [Dillon] to pick up pennies [Murray/Hines]"

...though the same could be said for Hardy/Sherfield and Hopkins.

I agree here. Dillon would be a big upgrade to the backups we have, and a perfect compliment to Cook. The guys a beast. He's got tree trunks for legs. I have Packer friends that value him every bit as much as Jones. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

In other news- 

Madden 24 RB Rating- 

Damian Harris- 79

Latavious Murray- 76

Nyhiem Hines- 75

James Cook- 75

Cook has the same rating a Bummie Basham- who is rated higher than AJ Epenesa and Shaq Lawson. Damian Harris is rated higher than Leonard Floyd. 

It’s one of the reasons that I rent madden from GameFly for 2 weeks each year, then return it and never play again.  I’ll never buy another copy.  Come back 2k!

I had no idea Gamefly still existed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

So one of the little interesting things to me is the KR/PR thing.

Hines was decent.  12/13th in the league (PR/KR)

In 2021, Hardy was 14th/7th (PR/KR).  10th and 13th in 2020 (despite only 9 games).  2019, 1st and 5th.

So do they see Hines as their PR/KR gadget guy?  Or is that a place where they'll want to try to use Harty?

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Hmmm.  Peak FredEx, he was good for 30-40 receptions, >dozen receiving 1D.  Harris hasn't had that many receptions.  Seems to catch it when it's thrown to him.  Is that because he's not much of a receiver, or the Pats just didn't use him that way?

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

I agree here. Dillon would be a big upgrade to the backups we have, and a perfect compliment to Cook. The guys a beast. He's got tree trunks for legs. I have Packer friends that value him every bit as much as Jones. 

Yes I actually have a packer fan buddy who is upset because Jones gets the majority of the carries, and thinks Dillon is alot better.

Thank you for sharing the article.

I do not believe that it has any truth to it.

First of all, the Bills' running back room is pretty full. 

Second, Beane has spent the entire offseason very purposefully acquiring more draft picks -- playing comp pick bingo, etc. So turning around and trading AWAY draft picks for a position at which the Bills roster is already quite set seems improbable to me. Not to mention the fact that the Bills would then have to pay AJ Dillon to keep him around and make the trade worthwhile, which is something I also don't see them doing.

So thanks for sharing, but I just don't buy it.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Especially when juxtaposed with all the talk of how devalued and unimportant the RB position has become.

We have enough horses already with those 4. Beane should be focusing on pretty much any other part of the roster.

1 draft pick - so team control for 2023-2025.

2 cheap free agents.

1 trade that cost a 5th rounder, and he took a paycut.  Moss was a throw in body for Indy to make the cap hit more manageable in 2022.

Throw in Gilliam as a core special teamer/fullback if you want - he's probably in a roster competition with Morris at this point, but I think he sticks with the team putting in additional effort to run the ball especially in the red zone.  

Based on RB spending we're comfortably middle of the road.  I think we have overspent some decently prime picks on running backs, so hopefully cook can stick.  Hines is probably overpaid for what his contributions project to be, but he can be cut (about 1.5M savings, so a league minimum free agent would result in about 750k savings) if he can't carve out a role specific to the offense.  I expect that he does, and Murray makes 53 as a fill-in.  I see it looking like the below roster wise, but you could always flip murray for a corner and see if he can make it to the PS.  Tight end i only kept two since i think Gilliam can fill in a pinch.  

image.png.f3ae1696d04a022c94eb4bd829930b18.png

Melvin gordon signs with the ravens- not worthy of its own thread.  Fumble the season away Melvin!

43 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Yes I actually have a packer fan buddy who is upset because Jones gets the majority of the carries, and thinks Dillon is alot better.

Your friend is an idiot 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Just because you write using a crayon does not mean it's not true. 

Weirdly, a long time ago, a friend of mine was attending law school.  He showed me a paper he wrote - the first twenty pages of which were written in crayon.  He received an 'A.'

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

In other news- 

Madden 24 RB Rating- 

Damian Harris- 79

Latavious Murray- 76

Nyhiem Hines- 75

James Cook- 75

Harris is the 30th-ranked RB in Madden.  Not very impressive.  Our 'best' back is barely rated a starter.

Yet I think we have a decent overall stable of backs for a passing team.   It would be great, though, if we could one day draft an elite running threat.  

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

In other news- 

Madden 24 RB Rating- 

Damian Harris- 79

Latavious Murray- 76

Nyhiem Hines- 75

James Cook- 75

Basically anyone in the 70s is just... dart at a wall.  What was he last year, do we think hes better? add 1.  do we think hes worse? subtract 1.  

Cook being a 75 while Breece hall is an 82 is so strange to me.  Their numbers are basically the same and the one rated 7 points higher is the one who blew out his knee (He also has a higher injury rating... despite being injured last year).

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree 100%. 

Last year Motor had 177 carries and 52 targets. 229 total opportunities. Those won't all go to Cook. I just don't think he's built for that. 

Cook had 89 carries and 32 targets. 121 total opportunities. I do expect an increase there but not by a whole lot. 2-3 extra carries a game and 2-3 extra targets a game possibly. I see him in that 150-175 opportunity range this year. 

I believe for the most part Harris will soak up the majority of touches/targets that Motor had last year (if healthy) leaving Cook a bit fresher and able to break out as the more big play threat.

have to remember cook was in the dog house first 50-75% of the season too. he'll  have a ton more touches by just averaging his late year touches through a full season

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So one of the little interesting things to me is the KR/PR thing.

Hines was decent.  12/13th in the league (PR/KR)

In 2021, Hardy was 14th/7th (PR/KR).  10th and 13th in 2020 (despite only 9 games).  2019, 1st and 5th.

So do they see Hines as their PR/KR gadget guy?  Or is that a place where they'll want to try to use Harty?

Hmmm.  Peak FredEx, he was good for 30-40 receptions, >dozen receiving 1D.  Harris hasn't had that many receptions.  Seems to catch it when it's thrown to him.  Is that because he's not much of a receiver, or the Pats just didn't use him that way?

I hope they let Hines take those returns, otherwise, why is he on this roster?  Also, hope to see Harty focus on WR and staying healthy.  I think hes a nice piece we've been missing. HR hitter and YAC guy potential through the roof.  We paid him on potential, but the market was bare, contract is incentive and escapable after a year.  Exactly the type im glad to see Beane take a HR swing on hitting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.