Giants and Barkley do not reach an agreement on a new contract

Gregg

Adam Schefter on Twitter: "With no long-term deal being reached today, Saquon Barkley is not expected to report to training camp with the rest of his team. The Giants are not expected to see Barkley until later this summer, if then. Barkley will have decisions to make as to when he is willing to report." / Twitter

I don't think he will sit out the entire season but if he does that offense is going to be really bad without him. 

The Giants offered him $26 mil for two.  He wanted $16 mil per.  Dumb decision for RB’s these days.  Did he not learn anything from Bell.

RB’s just don’t seem to want to accept their reality.  I’m sorry for the Giants though as I’m quietly rooting for Daboll and Schein.

Hell have to come around.  He has zero leverage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Ah yes, the genius plan of holding out this year (making $0) and then signing a contract next season for less than what the Giants offered him this year.  RBs definitely get a raw deal in today's NFL but teams aren't going to overpay them just because.

He won't hold out all season.  He'll show up to at least the last 6 games to accrue another season.  More likely if the sits out and they start losing, they cave.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Barkley's demand was not unreasonable.

He wanted the same salary as Christian McCaffrey,

with Kamara 15mil/yr ballpark behind him.

The Giants offered top 5 RB Money. The same as Henry, Cook, and Chubb.

New contracts for runningbacks don't set the market?

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The Giants offered him $26 mil for two.  He wanted $16 mil per.  Dumb decision for RB’s these days.  Did he not learn anything from Bell.

RB’s just don’t seem to want to accept their reality.  I’m sorry for the Giants though as I’m quietly rooting for Daboll and Schein.

Yea, at this point he has to play. 

he should’ve pushed the issue for 1 year with no tag for year two publicly. 

That feels like the RB play for tags. Signing 2 year deal means he’s unlikely to get a mega contract ever, which is rough for a guy in his spot. The giants basically asked him to play under the tag twice at that pay. I can’t blame him for not racing to receive no substantial extra money, and no path to free agency 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He won't hold out all season.  He'll show up to at least the last 6 games to accrue another season.  More likely if the sits out and they start losing, they cave.

they can’t even cave this year, he’s only allowed the tag now, right? 

and what would they offer next year that’s substantially different, a year older and with more animosity?

12 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Ah yes, the genius plan of holding out this year (making $0) and then signing a contract next season for less than what the Giants offered him this year.  RBs definitely get a raw deal in today's NFL but teams aren't going to overpay them just because.

Any idea where I can get me one of those 13M per year raw deals?!?! Sign me up!!!

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

And he has denied ever being offered or turning down those numbers. Many times. I don't understand why people read a tweet and accept that as fact when we really don't know what was offered, what was being talked about or what he was seeking. No attack on you...but a very high percentage of what we see from "insiders" on offered numbers is either agent or team driven BS.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agree with this except I never willingly root for other teams, 😁👍

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

10mil/yr  when he signs the tag. Still a 3mil/yr raise from last year.

Josh Jacobs also didn't get a deal done in time.

Meh. Who cares.

I seriously doubt we'll ever see a RB break the 15 mil barrier again. It's a position that's just not revered anymore.

Anyway.

Jacobs > Barkley

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And he has denied ever being offered or turning down those numbers. Many times. I don't understand why people read a tweet and accept that as fact when we really don't know what was offered, what was being talked about or what he was seeking. No attack on you...but a very high percentage of what we see from "insiders" on offered numbers is either agent or team driven BS.

Because people root for teams, not players. A team can leak pretty much anything negative against a player, fact or fiction, and most fans will back the team. A guy asks for more money and people on here rage and say “you signed a contract, now honor that contract” but never say that when a team cuts a guy. 
Lots of guys say Thurman and Bruce are 2 of their favorite players of all time, but this place would’ve gone ballistic when they signed with other teams-especially Thurman going to the dolphins. That’s just how this works

• Vomit 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

And then the Giants will really feel the sinking sadness that they paid the wrong guy this off-season....

• Agree 4

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/leveon-bell-apologizes-to-steelers-fans-for-leaving-pittsburgh

Former NFL running back Le’Veon Bell now regrets ever leaving the place where his career started.

Bell posted a video on social media over the weekend apologizing to Steelers fans and saying that in hindsight, he never should have left Pittsburgh.

“I never apologized to the fans for sitting out, or leaving the Steelers,” Bell said. “I never apologized. So I want to say I apologize for leaving the best damn fans there is in this damn world. I shouldn’t have left. I apologize, I should never have left. I apologize. That’s my fault. That’s on me.”

Hey Saquon, I'll just leave this here.

I always cheer for the players to get as much money out of the league as possible. Just not sure this is the right path for Barkley to get it.

59 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they can’t even cave this year, he’s only allowed the tag now, right? 

and what would they offer next year that’s substantially different, a year older and with more animosity?

Yeah I guess they can’t cave.  So I guess it’s up to Saq to determine how much money he wants to forfeit. 

55 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Because people root for teams, not players. A team can leak pretty much anything negative against a player, fact or fiction, and most fans will back the team. A guy asks for more money and people on here rage and say “you signed a contract, now honor that contract” but never say that when a team cuts a guy. 
Lots of guys say Thurman and Bruce are 2 of their favorite players of all time, but this place would’ve gone ballistic when they signed with other teams-especially Thurman going to the dolphins. That’s just how this works

Cutting is part of contract and players know it.  Players holding out after getting signing bonus which is divided per contract year is not.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Oh I agree with pretty much everything. However, there is something I call the "Poyer Principal" and it's a relatively new thing.

Because of social media fans feel more connected to players being able to get them to respond through places like Twitter or have a chat with their wives. It's social suck up from the fans but you see a LOT of "man they better pay you" ect ect. Jordan and his wife are very good at that...even though he's historically been a "let's redo my deal" type of player. 

And man, I'll never forget the day the Bills released Smith, Thomas and Reed. One of the saddest moments of my fandom here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Barkley's demand was not unreasonable.

He wanted the same salary as Christian McCaffrey,

with Kamara 15mil/yr ballpark behind him.

The Giants offered top 5 RB Money. The same as Henry, Cook, and Chubb.

New contracts for runningbacks don't set the market?

No, new RB contracts are not setting the market. Obviously that’s the exception to the general rule, but it is what’s happening. RB salaries - especially those at the top of the market - have fallen. For example, the franchise tag peak for RBs was in 2017 at $12.120M. It was $8.655M in 2021 and is $10.091M this season. 

Franchise tag history for all positions.

Edited by BarleyNY
added link
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No, new RB contracts are not setting the market. Obviously that’s the exception to the general rule, but it is what’s happening. RB salaries - especially those at the top of the market - have fallen. For example, the franchise tag peak for RBs was in 2017 at $12.120M. It was $8.655M in 2021 and is $10.091M this season. 

Franchise tag history for all positions.

Runningbacks are becoming ever more worthless.

Why is Hines getting $6mil/yr?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Has there ever been a position group go on strike?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, JJGauna said:

Who needs Barkley when you have the Vanilla Vick, aka Daniel Jones lol.

Ice Ice, baby.  Danny Dimes. 😁

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Has there ever been a position group go on strike?

They've got Kelvin Benjamin's phone number.  A couple buckets of Popeyes chicken and a dozen biscuits, and voila...there's the next Giants RB. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

All of these players online complaining about not paying RB's...SHADDUP! If they had value, they would get paid, simple as that. They never live up to the big contracts and they have a short shelf life. You can easily get one in the later rounds and pay them next to nothing. It makes no sense to give them huge deals. It's as dumb as the pay women athletes the same as men arguments. Why? Because you say so? That's not how the world works. If you prove your value, you get paid. If you don't, then you don't!

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gotta be hard to see Daniel Jones pocket $45 million per year on back of your hard work.  

I hope Saquon and Jacobs stick to their guns and hold out for as long as possible.  Neither team is equipped to win without them.  

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Runningbacks are becoming ever more worthless.

Why is Hines getting $6mil/yr?

Good question about Hines. It’s ridiculous. The issues with RBs are that:

- the best only have a small positive impact on their team compared to an average one

- the supply outstrips demand

- they have a short shelf life (short careers before a big drop off)

- they tend to have a high risk of injury and

- teams have realized that a stable of good RBs who share the workload is preferable to one bell cow back. That’s due to cost and injury protection.

• Agree 1

All the RBs complaining about money, they can blame all the rule changes for player safety. The league has changed the rules drastically to keep QBs and WRs from getting popped. Tough yards to not exist anymore, the game is soft. 

Edited by BananaB

10 minutes ago, BananaB said:

All the RBs complaining about money, they can blame all the rule changes for player safety. The league has changed the rules drastically to keep QBs and WRs from getting popped. Tough yards to not exist anymore, the game is soft. 

You're not wrong, but it still doesn't compute for me. 

Josh Jacobs is 25, had 340 carries last year, 1653 yards at 4.9 a clip, and 53 receptions for another 400 yards.  Add into that all that he does in pass protection. 

These teams want premium production for minimal wages.  It's bs.  Meanwhile the Tannehills and Daniel Joneses of the world are making 3-4 times their salary.  Lunacy!

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

And then the Giants will really feel the sinking sadness that they paid the wrong guy this off-season....

Maybe they were thinking about the Zeke deal in Dallas. 

6 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Giving Daniel Jones 40Ms instead of paying  Saquon is wild. 40 million for a guy who only threw 15TDs

His legs are special though. Daboll elevated his game for sure.

I will say I almost fell out of my chair when I heard of the Jones deal. Giants were in a tough position by Damn Jones is average at best. 

Younger folks I hope your son can be a NFL QB. No need to play the lottery. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Good question about Hines. It’s ridiculous. The issues with RBs are that:

- the best only have a small positive impact on their team compared to an average one

- the supply outstrips demand

- they have a short shelf life (short careers before a big drop off)

- they tend to have a high risk of injury and

- teams have realized that a stable of good RBs who share the workload is preferable to one bell cow back. That’s due to cost and injury protection.

Good input here. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

It will probably be bad with him too.

Beane loves overvaluing and overpaying RBs and Defensive linemen. Dude hates paying WRs. 

There's an argument to be made about D-line but not RB's or WR's. 

Beane gave Diggs a 24 million dollar a year contract which is 5th in annual average value.  He gave John Brown and Cole Beasley the biggest contracts of their careers by far.  All three were key in helping Allen develop and leading to four straight double digit win seasons.  

The biggest contract Beane gave a free agent RB I believe was Chris Ivory in 2018 (2 years at 2.75m per year with 2.5 million guaranteed).  Drafting RB's in the middle rounds on a cost controlled rookie deal is smart roster building.  The problem is the execution as Singletary was serviceable while Moss was a disappointment.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

You're not wrong, but it still doesn't compute for me. 

Josh Jacobs is 25, had 340 carries last year, 1653 yards at 4.9 a clip, and 53 receptions for another 400 yards.  Add into that all that he does in pass protection. 

These teams want premium production for minimal wages.  It's bs.  Meanwhile the Tannehills and Daniel Joneses of the world are making 3-4 times their salary.  Lunacy!

It's a QB driven league. Even back ups are making huge money. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Beane loves overvaluing and overpaying RBs and Defensive linemen. Dude hates paying WRs. 

He did get RB Harris on the cheap though. Otherwise, you are spot on here. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Huh?  What RBs did he over pay?  This doesn’t even make sense.  I mean none of our RBs have been given expensive contracts by Beane.  Hines was given to him by Colts and then Hines took a pay cut this year to stay.  

Nothing you said is correct.  He traded a first and fourth for Diggs and then paid him twice now.  We just used another first round pick on a TE to basically play as a big slot WR too.  We have spent more on WRs than RBs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, transient said:

Any idea where I can get me one of those 13M per year raw deals?!?! Sign me up!!!

His profession and your profession are not the same.  Stop comparing yourself.  He is getting a raw deal in his profession.  If you have his skill level go try out if you can get one.

• Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

A bit less wear and tear on his body for an organization that doesn’t value him is worth holding out for.  He should only come in for the last 6 games and get his accrued season.  I wouldn’t even communicate with them until the week before I come in.  I would make nothing easy for that organization going forward.     

8 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Gotta be hard to see Daniel Jones pocket $45 million per year on back of your hard work.  

I hope Saquon and Jacobs stick to their guns and hold out for as long as possible.  Neither team is equipped to win without them.  

If they do bud, they will go the way of Bell.  He lost $13.5 mil / yr. For less at the Jets a year later, wasn’t used in the same as Pitt. And faulted thereafter.  It was a very bad decision.

These RB’s are not going to change a league evolution to platooning RB’d vs.

a workhorse, and lower second contracts of they get a second contract.

It’s not going to change.  Just like athletic TE’s lost the battle of demanding WR $. Remember Jimmy Graham.  Safeties babe this problem and off the ball LB’s are not marquee spots anymore.

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

That Sir is a great point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.