Chris Brown to start season as interim play by play guy

Matt_In_NH

Just got the notification from the bills app.   It’s funny I like a brown more as a play by play by vs one bills live.   The screaming works better in game.   Except when he cracks corny phrases like “ now we are cooking with gas” and “turnover city”.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Ugh.

Can we please, PLEASE have a competent PBP guy and one with the energy other teams have?

I really think they would benefit from an objective PBP guy.

eric wood can handle the fluffing after every play and opponent team tear down.

but the PBP guy needs to be a little down the middle.

I’ve been doing some long distance driving on Sunday’s and had chance to listen to other home team PBP via Sirius Radio.

The Eagles Announcer…he is tops in my book.  Not over the top, not overtly gushing for the team that cuts his paycheck, and willing to dump on both teams when their play warranted it.

now that I’ve typed all this, I don’t know if an objective play collar would work for the Buffalo Marketplace it’s not really a type of market place that wants objective coverage especially on game day.

So, Chris Brown will probably work for the majority just not my cup of tea.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The Eagles Announcer…he is tops in my book.  Not over the top, not overtly gushing for the team that cuts his paycheck, and willing to dump on both teams when their play warranted it.

Merrill Reese is better than ANY play by play guy the Bills have ever had, and way more enthusiastic. Give me a guy like the Titans' announcer, the 49ers guy.

Energy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I want Murph to recover, then not return to the booth.  

I was in my vehicle when Murph screamed "Touchdownnnn!" on the pass that Allen one hopped 10 feet in front of McKenzie late in that heat exhaustion game in Miami last year.   It was time for a change either way.    I know pro sports teams have been slow to replace radio people in recent times because the audience is old and it's easier to just stick with old stand-by's and not upset the few people still listening.  Sorta' like the Yankees with their two Octegenarian announcers........talk about a hard listen.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Merrill Reese is better than ANY play by play guy the Bills have ever had, and way more enthusiastic. Give me a guy like the Titans' announcer, the 49ers guy.

Energy.

That would be Greg Papa, who is originally from Buffalo, and he would be a great play-by-play guy for the Bills.

Problem is that he's lived in the Bay Area for so long, and I doubt he would come back. Before the 49'ers, he used to broadcast for the Oakland Raiders & Golden State Warriors.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was in my vehicle when Murph screamed "Touchdownnnn!" on the pass that Allen one hopped 10 feet in front of McKenzie late in that heat exhaustion game in Miami last year.   It was time for a change either way.    I know pro sports teams have been slow to replace radio people in recent times because the audience is old and it's easier to just stick with old stand-by's and not upset the few people still listening.  Sorta' like the Yankees with their two Octegenarian announcers........talk about a hard listen.

Murph's track record of minimal on air racial and homophobic slurs makes him the top of his profession right now.  You can't just go out and find a guy who doesn't drop the occasional N-bomb on a hot mic.  If you could, everyone would have that guy. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

Could be worse. Could be the Sabres with Dunleavy and Ray

I hated Dunleavy when early on. I'll admit, he's gotten better with more air time. RJ and Van Miller were the staples. Both have/had very unique speaking styles that were unmistakable.  I would love to have guys like that again. Something that stands out. Haven't heard enough of Chris Brown PBP, but Dunleavy and Murphy both have a rather vanilla style of speaking. Not talking voice inflexion as Murphy could go over the top sometimes. Just the sound of their voices. 

11 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I hated Dunleavy when early on. I'll admit, he's gotten better with more air time. RJ and Van Miller were the staples. Both have/had very unique speaking styles that were unmistakable.  I would love to have guys like that again. Something that stands out. Haven't heard enough of Chris Brown PBP, but Dunleavy and Murphy both have a rather vanilla style of speaking. Not talking voice inflexion as Murphy could go over the top sometimes. Just the sound of their voices. 

The Problem with Dunleavy is he doesn't yell. "Score " after a goal. Too much conversation  during hockey broadcasts and most of the time he's says..."Oh and it's in" He's terrible

57 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Ugh.

Can we please, PLEASE have a competent PBP guy and one with the energy other teams have?

Agree wholeheartedly, but that would require an open audition to anyone across the country instead of the lazy way of picking insiders and people already on the payroll. 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Just got the notification from the bills app.   It’s funny I like a brown more as a play by play by vs one bills live.   The screaming works better in game.   Except when he cracks corny phrases like “ now we are cooking with gas” and “turnover city”.  

Did he not say something like "he's hot as a firecracker!" last year?  With literally a cracking of his voice like a 14 year old when he said "fire"?

He needs to calm that stuff down.  But he's eternally better than Murphy.

Eventually Chris Brown will be named the new voice of the Bills.  But not now.

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I've been spoiled by all the years of Van Miller.  He was one of the all time greats, if not the best ever.  I hope they can find an exceptional play by play guy again someday.

Listening to Van Miller gives me chills. Fasten your seatbelts! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That would be Greg Papa, who is originally from Buffalo, and he would be a great play-by-play guy for the Bills.

Problem is that he's lived in the Bay Area for so long, and I doubt he would come back. Before the 49'ers, he used to broadcast for the Oakland Raiders & Golden State Warriors.

Papa is not only the best in the league, he's an all-time great. I pause mt DVR and sync him up through Sirius when the 49'ers are on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Paul Dottino covered for Murph in ‘21 when he had Covid. Thought he did a great job.

Wish Murph a great recovery. Prefer him not be the PBP guy. Football knowledge isn’t great. Always behind on the play, calling a first when short. Calling catches when dropped. Can’t figure out the yard line. Maybe it’s him, or maybe it’s his spotters. Either way, prefer a change. Just feel bad it is a stroke that may get him out rod the booth.
  • Agree 2

Brown surprised me as a PBP guy.  He actually was a pretty good listen - enthusiastic , decent delivery. Better than expected . After hearing him on OBL I expected him to be Dr. Dull. Going forward though, it’s time for a new PBP man. Neither Murph or Brown have a voice/ delivery you could consider iconic. There are only 32 of these jobs in the country; find an elite replacement worthy of the title. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Murph's track record of minimal on air racial and homophobic slurs makes him the top of his profession right now.  You can't just go out and find a guy who doesn't drop the occasional N-bomb on a hot mic.  If you could, everyone would have that guy. 

He has yet to give an anatomy lesson like "the Greek"...

• Haha (+1) 2

When I hear Chris Brown talking about the Bills I make a face like someone slapped me in the nose with a wet fish. 

Admittedly, I’m a Homer, and I know it’s his job to be ultra Homer, but I get the same feeling from him as I get hearing Collinsworth schlobber on about the top five qbs. 

Also, he’s kind of a bore. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Brown surprised me as a PBP guy.  He actually was a pretty good listen - enthusiastic , decent delivery. Better than expected . After hearing him on OBL I expected him to be Dr. Dull. Going forward though, it’s time for a new PBP man. Neither Murph or Brown have a voice/ delivery you could consider iconic. There are only 32 of these jobs in the country; find an elite replacement worthy of the title. 

The problem is why pay big money for a PbP guy who is on a broadcast hardly anyone listens to?

This is why Brown will eventually be the permanent guy. Already on the payroll, lives in the area, and won’t be looking for crazy $$$. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 2

I can’t stand Brown. Not that Tasker isn’t clownish in his own right but at least he was a player and a great one at that and Brown would always come up some kind of stat line contest to make Tasker look more foolish than he already is. I can’t figure out for the life of me on how this little squirrel got any kind of gig with the Bills. He’s just a weasel and now the Bills are giving him more responsibilities??! The Bills have the worse public announcers than any other team that I can think of and that also includes Murphy. Who in the world is making these decisions??! I guess we were all spoiled with Van Miller! What a joy he was to listen to!

Edited by Tipster19
Typos
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I want Murph to recover, then not return to the booth.  

Same.

4 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I've been spoiled by all the years of Van Miller.  He was one of the all time greats, if not the best ever.  I hope they can find an exceptional play by play guy again someday.

It is incredible that Murph sat next to Van for so many years and didn't pick up on many of the things that made Van great.

He wast just incredible. Murph is just... terrible.

I lived in south Florida for eight years...the dolphins radio broadcast is so embarrassingly bad...so so so bad

The first 27 seconds of this is basically what listening to an entire game is like...and they basically never tell you the score, where the ball is or how much time is left...I'd been in the car listening to them for what felt like almost 5-10 minutes before you'd get a score or time update...just brutal!

8 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I lived in south Florida for eight years...the dolphins radio broadcast is so embarrassingly bad...so so so bad

The first 27 seconds of this is basically what listening to an entire game is like...and they basically never tell you the score, where the ball is or how much time is left...I'd been in the car listening to them for what felt like almost 5-10 minutes before you'd get a score or time update...just brutal!

This is my problem with the current Sabres crew.  I turn the radio on in the car and I have absolutely no idea what the score is for 15-20 minutes.  I've heard them call a goal and then STILL not say what the score is afterwards, unreal.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

This is my problem with the current Sabres crew.  I turn the radio on in the car and I have absolutely no idea what the score is for 15-20 minutes.  I've heard them call a goal and then STILL not say what the score is afterwards, unreal.

I was up in Rochester last hockey season and listened to a game on the radio and felt the same way...that said, I'm pretty sure the sabres radio broadcast is the same as the TV broadcast...is that even possible?

7 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Considering number of people let go by ESPN and Buffalo News they should be able to find someone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.