Report: Bills allegedly privately open to trading Diggs "under the right circumstances"

Big Turk

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it worth losing $20MM+ in cap room? Because that's what'll happen if we move Diggs. Think before acting.

We don’t lose $20M. We gain $1M this year, and it is about $3M to have him off the roster than it is to have him on. 

Of course $30M is a lot of cap space tied up in a guy not on the team. But $27M is also a lot for a guy who sounds like he might not want to be here. And the last two times he put on a jersey he caused a scene. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The players voted him a captain … because they obviously thought he had good qualities 

tons of talented players ARENT captains 

devils advocate 

Well he's a high intensity guy and when he's initially getting along with everyone that can be confused with leadership.

But with people of his temperament just plain old familiarity breeds contempt.    The discord in Minnesota and subsequent relief being traded to Buffalo never made much sense either.    

But like Josh Allen says........."none of this works" without Diggs.    It just doesn't.   Their receiving corps is a joke without him.  

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Did you seriously use heavy.com as a source? 

I thought the same thing. However since Heavy are so terrible I went and listened to this Albright podcast they quoted - he definitely said what they quoted. Why some person at the Bills (anonymously, of course) would spill anything to a Broncos beat guy is beyond me though. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Im sorry, but I don’t view Diggs as the make or break for a Super Bowl run. 

If that’s the case, then Allen isn’t elite.  

We can’t trade him for nothing, but if somehow circumvented the cap nightmare of trading Diggs and got back someone like Sutton or Jeudy, plus picks, I’m still expecting this offense to be elite.   ….I’m expecting that because Allen is elite, and there would be enough talent (provided the OL is better) to accomplish that. 

I think you should at some point recognize that you tend to take emotional, stubborn, self destructive "I'm sorry but.." stances and try to reverse engineer a reason why you are right. :lol:  It's not the early 2000's anymore with only a handful of high end QB talents.   You aren't finishing with an "elite" offense in the NFL today without a single elite weapon around your QB.   You even have "plus picks" in the same sentence as "I'm still expecting this offense to be elite"......like future draft capital will make them lighter on their feet in 2023.   That makes as much actual sense as the guy yesterday who mentioned that re-signing Ed Oliver was a way that the Bills had made their defense FASTER.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Straight up trade for Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, or Drake London.  Madden trade simulator said in your dreams.

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

We don’t lose $20M. We gain $1M this year, and it is about $3M to have him off the roster than it is to have him on. 

Of course $30M is a lot of cap space tied up in a guy not on the team. But $27M is also a lot for a guy who sounds like he might not want to be here. And the last two times he put on a jersey he caused a scene. 

It's never going to happen.  You'd be throwing any Super Bowl chance out the window.  Josh Allen would look like Aaron Rodgers of 2022 at best.

• Like (+1) 3

I think any player up to and including Josh Allen is open to being traded "under the right circumstances" those circumstances may be exceedingly unlikely, but they do exist.

If someone walks in the door and blows Beane away with an offer for Diggs he'd be right to take it.  That's not going to happen so this is all summer BS.

I do chuck this at Ken Dorsey's doorstep though.  Man management is part of the gig, not just calling plays and making the gameplan.  Under Daboll we didn't hear so much as a peep from Diggs.  One year under Dorsey and he's stomping out of locker rooms and missing stuff.  The WR coach left after this year in a lateral move.  That's odd.  Was Chad Hall unhappy with Dorsey also and took a way out when it was offered? Maybe. Maybe not.  What I know is the WR room is unnecessarily smoky at the moment so if there's fire it better get dealt with.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's going to disappear after the bye this season too???

Stefon Diggs keeps it up he will wear out his welcome in the Buffalo Bills locker room overtime. It has nothing to do with us Bills fan that Stefon Diggs can’t control his own emotions in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

And who do you replace a top 5 WR with?? 

And please don't say Hopkins,  we don't realistically have the resources to give him a multi year , close to top $ deal if this happened with Diggs

Just embrace his greatness and will to win

He's a 2× ALL PRO

3× pro bowler 

since arriving here

He'll be at least a 2x SB champ by the time he leaves

And that swap would be terrible regardless 

Diggs has 14 more games, 1,500 more yards and 12 more TDs since both got traded to young QBs in 2020

Edited by JerseyBills

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

And who do you replace a top 5 WR with?? 

And please don't say Hopkins,  we don't realistically have the resources to give him a multi year , close to top $ deal if this happened with Diggs

Just embrace his greatness and will to win

He's a 2× ALL PRO

3× pro bowler 

since arriving here

He'll be at least a 2x SB champ by the time he leaves

And that swap would be terrible regardless 

Diggs has 14 more games, 1,500 more yards and 12 more TDs since both got traded to young QBs in 2020

I don't think trading Diggs is a good idea but playing devil's advocate.  You run the ball more and throw to your TEs and backs a lot more.

4 hours ago, 90sBills said:

This has been my take. A lot of people on here keep dogging on Davis as not being a “legitimate” #2. I argue that he’s fine. Coupled with Diggs that’s a great tandem. If Allen is who we think he is then that’s a dynamic duo. If they continue to fail and fans keep clamoring for more and more weapons then Allen isn’t as elite as most think he is.

Having said all that taking Diggs away would crippling for the offense. He’s a true #1. 

Davis seems to be like Allen in that each offseason he works on something intensive with his private trainer.

Last year Davis worked on physical abilities and hopefully on last offseason and upcoming until training camp he is working on something Bills need him to improve on.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Davis seems to be like Allen in that each offseason he works on something intensive with his private trainer.

Last year Davis worked on physical abilities and hopefully on last offseason and upcoming until training camp he is working on something Bills need him to improve on.

Like strengthening his ankle which was injured all last season 

I am an additional 29 million added to the cap if the bills trade Diggs.  Unless I am missing something which is possible.  That is not really possible but releasing him is if you spread the cap over two years.  Cannot see that happening.  

If a trade were to materialize after this season the next thing people would be surprised about will be his trade value. 

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am an additional 29 million added to the cap if the bills trade Diggs.  Unless I am missing something which is possible.  That is not really possible but releasing him is if you spread the cap over two years.  Cannot see that happening.  

If a trade were to materialize after this season the next thing people would be surprised about will be his trade value. 

There is no way they absorb this cap hit and still be competitive.  Don’t care what others say that the cap is an illusion.

Trade value is about the moment and other teams needs. Never say never the Bills could get a good package if they were wanting (and able) to trade him.

Diggs is going nowhere.  The Bills know it and the he knows it.

Edited by davefan66
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Obviously I can’t really speculate on the press that covers other teams, but if Buffalo is one of the best, then there must be an awful lot of terrible ones 

Wow. Some folks seriously underestimate the breadth and depth of media coverage of the Bills. There are not only many full or nearly full-time reporters/analysts, but most are very good in their field. I'd imagine the Bills content creation is unmatched. 

12 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

The main thing that worries me about Diggs is that when things go wrong, or are challenging, his juvenile attitude will resurface. It’s too much of a headache to constantly appease the guy.

The Bills knew what they were getting into when they made this trade. Perhaps they should’ve waited a bit on that substantial pay raise to a malcontent 30 year old receiver.

“If those lies help you sleep better at night big dawg…” Was that about Allen? Or some other totally unrelated situation that just happens to fit at the present time? Be competitive, fine, but don’t be a distraction. 

In his 3 years I can't think of any instances besides this off season where Diggs juvenile attitude came out. Just think he wants to win badly and know we have the potential and got fed up. I love that fire he has

Would have liked to see him get 16 -20 targets if our O is stagnant like it was that day. Alot of his targets being incomplete was on Allen 

Edited by JerseyBills

9 hours ago, Prospector said:

This thread is perfect for letting me know we are in the no-news dead part of the football year. 

Exactly. It is a great story to create when there is no news because the wording alone creates the story.  EVERYONE can be traded for the right circumstances.  If Kansas City could cobble together a couple of extra first round picks for next year's draft and were to offer us Patrick Mahomes, those 3 first round picks plus their first rounder for the next five years, would we take that for Josh Allen?  I would think so.  So, Josh Allen is available for trade given the right circumstances.  I once heard a former GM being asked about a similar story and he said any decent GM is always willing to listen to offers for ANY player.  It would just take an awful lot (more than would be practical) for some players...but, any reporter can claim that they are willing to listen to offers.

17 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Interesting take.  What Bills-related stories do you recall the local press corps breaking before national outlets?

This is not "breaking" news, it's reporting on comments that may be second or third-hand. 

I would be in favor of this "Bellichick style" move, especially if this team wants to keep their superbowl window open.  I personally don't think what Diggs did and is clearly still doing is/was justified in any way, and I can't see how a team can thrive with a player that clearly thinks his QB is doing him wrong, or another "mystery" person in the organization.  Now Allen has to force throws his way, people have to cater to his bull#### tantrum, or placate his ego.

It's like a married couple where someone has cheated, but they stay married.  Yes they stayed married and faithful, but it's never the same.  Add the fact Diggs is going to be 30, I say work a miracle deal to let him "antonio brown" himself out of the league somewhere else.

I welcome intelligent rebuttal.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I would be in favor of this "Bellichick style" move, especially if this team wants to keep their superbowl window open.  I personally don't think what Diggs did and is clearly still doing is/was justified in any way, and I can't see how a team can thrive with a player that clearly thinks his QB is doing him wrong, or another "mystery" person in the organization.  Now Allen has to force throws his way, people have to cater to his bull#### tantrum, or placate his ego.

It's like a married couple where someone has cheated, but they stay married.  Yes they stayed married and faithful, but it's never the same.  Add the fact Diggs is going to be 30, I say work a miracle deal to let him "antonio brown" himself out of the league somewhere else.

Rebuttal: we're left with 40 billion in dead cap after the trade

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Every time Brandon Beane talked this offseason, he mentioned getting the offense MORE weapons.

He was limited in cap space and there weren't a bunch of options, but he still signed two free agent receivers (Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty).  We know he explored signing Odell Beckham and acquiring DeAndre Hopkins.  In the draft, he ended up getting the best receiving Tight End (Dalton Kincaid) and adding another receiver (Justin Shorter).

Everyone knows the Bills are inside a rapidly closing Super Bowl window.  Everyone in the organization has acknowledged that.  There isn't a single example in the last 2-3 seasons of us doing anything that could possibly be viewed as a rebuild or reset.  Beane's moves have all been about trying to win a championship right now, with a little bit of care to not totally mortgaging the future.

The idea he would trade away Stefon Diggs is laughable.  Not only because it would completely blow-up our Super Bowl aspirations, but because it would also cause dead-cap problems.  It would pretty much be the opposite strategy of every move Beane has made recently.  Regardless of whether Diggs is causing issues internally (which is entirely possible), the Bills know they NEED him badly and couldn't realistically move on financially if they wanted to.

I absolutely believe more is going on with Diggs than our front office is currently admitting.  It could stem from a multitude of issues, up to and including anger with the coaching staff, gameplan, team acquisitions, or personal beef with other players.  All of these possibilities are on the table.  But nobody outside of a select few people on this planet know the truth, and the Bills are notoriously tight-lipped with allowing leaks.  The media is desperate to milk this story during the NFL's slowest time of year, but they can't get anything concrete.  So as usual, they are just running with rumors from anonymous sources.  It's pathetic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Rebuttal: We have no idea what Diggs, Allen et al are thinking. 

5 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Rebuttal: we're left with 40 billion in dead cap after the trade

I should have put "miracle deal" in bold

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Rebuttal: We have no idea what Diggs, Allen et al are thinking. 

I should have put "intelligent rebuttal" in bold  :)  seriously though, I think the outward display of adult infancy speaks for itself.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

3 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I should have put "miracle deal" in bold

I should have put "intelligent rebuttal" in bold

Everything you wrote is speculation based on speculation. It's your "feelings" - nothing is based on fact.  Please provide evidence that Diggs "clearly thinks his QB is doing him wrong" or "Now Allen has to force throws his way."

Or perhaps you are privy to conversations that Bills reporters have not heard. 

51 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I think it is quite overblown and that Diggs has consistently proven when it comes to game time he plays. This is honestly the fanbase just looking for conflict and it is spurred on by the media who knows fans even outside of the Bills fandom will eat it up.

58 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Rebuttal: Homey D Clown was always a hater back in the day. Nothings changed. :lol:

in-living-color-homey-the-clown.gif

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How is anything on this even being debated still when Albright immediately said this was all made up opinion in response to a hypothetical question?

Some fans really got a hard on for hating one of our best players, eh?

Because a made up lie travels about 10,000 times faster and to millions more people than the truth can follow. 

I think there has been studies done that when a blatant lie or speculation is started it reaches far more people than the retraction or correction ever will. It probably has something to do with the lie or speculation being more inflammatory than the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally... I think Diggs has a legitimate gripe. He wasn't invited to the room and what we were trying to do against the Benfgals wasn't working.

They gave Allen lots of input about stuff (Dorsey Hire for example) but nothing from a All Pro possible future HoF WR is a pass heavy offense

I wish it was handled better but I can't be too upset with Diggs either at this junction

25 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Because a made up lie travels about 10,000 times faster and to millions more people than the truth can follow. 

I think there has been studies done that when a blatant lie or speculation is started it reaches far more people than the retraction or correction ever will. It probably has something to do with the lie or speculation being more inflammatory than the truth.

And then you have Brandolini's Law at play as well.

Brandolini's law, also known as the bullsh!t asymmetry principle, is an internet adage coined in 2013 that emphasizes the effort of debunking misinformation, in comparison to the relative ease of creating it in the first place.

The law states the following:

The amount of energy needed to refute bullsh!t is an order of magnitude bigger than that needed to produce it

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How is anything on this even being debated still when Albright immediately said this was all made up opinion in response to a hypothetical question?

Some fans really got a hard on for hating one of our best players, eh?

Lol I just was jumping in to post this. I also find it hilarious that someone in this thread called him. LaCanfora clone. Whoever said that should never be taken seriously on this board...

Diggs d0ing what he did 0pens the d00r t0 all this n0nsense.

This stuff will c0ntinue until camps start and s0me new st0ry gains m0re attenti0n am0ng the lazy nati0nal writers and talk sh0w h0sts.

S0me0ne is b0und t0 beat their wife and kids, slap a stripper ar0und 0r s0mething these guys are always d0ing that will grab s0me 0f the attenti0n away.

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

If his ego becomes Antonio Brownesq, he either has to leave, or Dawkins, Morris, Knox has to step in defend the O or beat crap out of him.

His disruptions cannot be tolerated by the players, they have more influence than coaches. It happened many times on bickering Bills days.

Where is Carwell when you need him?

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And then you have Brandolini's Law at play as well.

Brandolini's law, also known as the bullsh!t asymmetry principle, is an internet adage coined in 2013 that emphasizes the effort of debunking misinformation, in comparison to the relative ease of creating it in the first place.

The law states the following:

The amount of energy needed to refute bullsh!t is an order of magnitude bigger than that needed to produce it

I know I’ve heard that before. I just can’t remember if it was in Physics or Philosophy.