All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Yeah, nobody would trade a 1st round pick for the best DT in the league in the prime of his career. 

Cheifs should just give him to us for a 5th...

Even if the Chiefs took wacky pills and traded him to us for a fifth, you think we have 30mil a year to give to him for the foreseeable future? 

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Yeah, nobody would trade a 1st round pick for the best DT in the league in the prime of his career. 

Cheifs should just give him to us for a 5th...

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they get a 5th for him. Don't be ridiculous. My point is this: Anyone who traded for him would have to give him a huge new contract as well. No team on the rebuild would trade a first for a 29 year old DT and take on that contract. It would only stagnate their growth, as he would be gone by the time they are good enough to compete. That early pick can be used on a player who will be under a rookie deal for 3- 5 years. Also, he's not the best DT in the league. Maybe a contender would offer a first, but at what cost? Would KC trade him to a contender? His only leverage is to hold out knowing this is his last chance at a big payday. If he plays, he risks injury and getting slapped with the franchise tag next year. 

• Disagree 1

On 7/24/2023 at 12:25 PM, dave mcbride said:

Well, Aaron Donald is getting $31.7 milion per year (https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-donald/2952), at least on paper, so it's not crazy. Donald is better, but only by a little bit. Chris Jones is for my money the second best DT in the league. He's unblockable.

No one wants to pay $30 million but he is absolutely a game changer. Without him maybe we could’ve run better or god forbid protect Josh more. 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

because you can manipulate the cap in many ways....including by having an owner pay actual $$$$$ money 

which is why Deandre Hopkins is a Bill.  Manipulation and "there is no cap" are not the same thing.  It does not matter how much money an owner has, there are limits.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Chris Jones starts a GoFundMe for the Chiefs to be able to afford him. Normally, I'm on the side of an athlete making what he can. But this is a d*ck move IMO.

There is no way that is real. If it is, Bills mafia would be able to crowd fund bonuses for players, to circumvent the salary cap.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Chris Jones starts a GoFundMe for the Chiefs to be able to afford him. Normally, I'm on the side of an athlete making what he can. But this is a d*ck move IMO.

That’s a terrible slap in the face to fans and others who earn far less.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

That’s a terrible slap in the face to fans and others who earn far less.

Perhaps it's meant more as viral media to pressure the KC org than as a literal money raising in-lieu of salary scheme

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Pretty sure that'd have to break some sort of rule for the NFL so I'm pretty sure this is fake as hell.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm not sure that would even be legal. Or at least, violates some contractual rules. 

They would have to put a pile of cash in a suitcase and covertly deliver it to him at hotel or something. Of course, that's probably been done before. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Who are these idiots who are actually donating money?  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree this is a really bad look. There are certainly reason that are legit for a gofundme being set up this is not one.   I don't ever wish injury on a player but I admit I don't mind seeing jerks that do stuff like this find life deals them a few unpleasant surprises to get there head straight on priorities.

Edited by AuntieEm

18 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Likely it is seed money provided by organizer since he will get money back.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:57 PM, Breakout Squad said:

No one wants to pay $30 million but he is absolutely a game changer. Without him maybe we could’ve run better or god forbid protect Josh more. 

Bills can run better with DT signed?    You think he will play iron man football for $30M?

On 7/31/2023 at 7:57 PM, Breakout Squad said:

Bills can run better with DT signed?    You think he will play iron man football for $30M?

When he eventually signs with Chefs he will likely get plantars fakeitis and go on IR.

Not going to lie, in some ways I'm giddy about this situation for KC because it's going to cause a major distraction and increase the probability that Jones goes the way of Tyreek Hill sooner than later.

This is why all of Chiefs nation have to be thrilled they stole a SB last year and were gifted ridiculous calls against the Bengals and Eagles in the AFFCG and SB respectively because it's going to be a much more perilous path this year especially if this Jones situation continues to linger into the regular season.

• Eyeroll 2

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not going to lie, in some ways I'm giddy about this situation for KC because it's going to cause a major distraction and increase the probability that Jones goes the way of Tyreek Hill sooner than later.

This is why all of Chiefs nation have to be thrilled they stole a SB last year and were gifted ridiculous calls against the Bengals and Eagles in the AFFCG and SB respectively because it's going to be a much more perilous path this year especially if this Jones situation continues to linger into the regular season.

.....I love how KC stole the SB because the refs threw a flag on a play where there was definitely a late hit....and on a play where there was definitely defensive holding......  but those were gifted to us.  

Also...Jones is under contract for this season.  If they don't reach and agreement, he might hold out a while, but he'll report at some point and play....and be UFA in the offseason.  He's 30.  Hill was 25 when we traded him....so not quite the same thing.  I think most fans, myself included, would like to see him sign an extension, but if not....KC is operating kind of like new england did at Brady's peak.....moving on from talent a year too soon or on time instead of too late and getting into cap trouble.  The common denominator to the Pats dynasty was Brady and Bill.  

I do think Jones is a guy who stays in great shape and has 3 years or more left in the tank...but if they decide the 30 plus mil per he's asking for is too much....I'll be fine with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

.....I love how KC stole the SB because the refs threw a flag on a play where there was definitely a late hit....and on a play where there was definitely defensive holding......  but those were gifted to us.  

Also...Jones is under contract for this season.  If they don't reach and agreement, he might hold out a while, but he'll report at some point and play....and be UFA in the offseason.  He's 30.  Hill was 25 when we traded him....so not quite the same thing.  I think most fans, myself included, would like to see him sign an extension, but if not....KC is operating kind of like new england did at Brady's peak.....moving on from talent a year too soon or on time instead of too late and getting into cap trouble.  The common denominator to the Pats dynasty was Brady and Bill.  

I do think Jones is a guy who stays in great shape and has 3 years or more left in the tank...but if they decide the 30 plus mil per he's asking for is too much....I'll be fine with it.

Hill was 28 when the chiefs traded him

CJ is 29 now

Edited by BillsFan130

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I agree this is a really bad look. There are certainly reason that are legit for a gofundme being set up this is not one.   I don't ever wish injury on a player but I admit I don't mind seeing jerks that do stuff like this find life deals them a few unpleasant surprises to get there head straight on priorities.

you do realize its probably not real, right?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Likely it is seed money provided by organizer since he will get money back.

When he eventually signs with Chefs he will likely get plantars fakeitis and go on IR.

I’m saying the Bills could’ve run better against the Chiefs w/o Jones in there. 

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

you do realize its probably not real, right?

Don't really know if it's real  or not.  Do know there is some questionable decisions made by some players.  I can wish bad fortune on the person or persons that are responsible for that Twitter garbage and that be if it's the player or some idiots thinkìng that's funny. 

Edited by AuntieEm

3 hours ago, FLFan said:

Eff this crap. He is taking advantage of fans because his Boss won't pay him. We all fricken struggle while this guys pulls this crap. 

49 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Goes the way of Tyreek, as in lands in Miami?

Edited by Goin Breakdown

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

The more egregious calls were in the AFCCG, imo.  If I was a Cincy fan, those would have stuck w/ me.  Just terrible, game-changing calls.

But, I'm also of the school of thought that there are a few of those in almost every game.  KC did benefit, in that case.  

If the Bills ever win an AFCCG or SB because of a bad call or 2, I certainly won't complain. And every fanbase probably feels like they are owed that.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

The more egregious calls were in the AFCCG, imo.  If I was a Cincy fan, those would have stuck w/ me.  Just terrible, game-changing calls.

But, I'm also of the school of thought that there are a few of those in almost every game.  KC did benefit, in that case.  

If the Bills ever win an AFCCG or SB because of a bad call or 2, I certainly won't complain. And every fanbase probably feels like they are owed that.

I agree with your post.

I'd like to add...it seems like eveyrone has already forgotten the series of calls the Rams got in their favor on their game winning SB drive VS the Bengals.  At least in the case of the Chiefs game, the guy hit Mahomes well out of bounds. It was a penalty.  They threw the flag.  It was late in teh game and had a MAJOR effect on the outcome.  But it was the right call.

Not the same as that very chintzy PI that Logan Wilson got thrown on him at the goal line with less than minute left...or the very iffy one before that on the same drive.

My point here is that all anyone even remembers two years later is the Rams won the SB.  ...and those calls were way worse.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

Not trying to hate, it's still Mahomes world and we're all living in it regardless.

But this is exactly what comes with the territory when you are in the midst of a dynasty and why the Patriots were able to weather similar storms through the years when Brady was there because they knew when to let veterans walk and not give them big paydays and contracts.

In CJ case though one could argue you kind of have to since he's the clear cut #2 DT in the NFL behind Donald and major reason why the Chiefs defense has been able to turn on switch come playoff time in all their SB runs.

53 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Eff this crap. He is taking advantage of fans because his Boss won't pay him. We all fricken struggle while this guys pulls this crap. 

Goes the way of Tyreek, as in lands in Miami?

I sure hope he doesn't land on in Miami because that roster is already among the best in the league, what I meant is being traded away like Hill instead instead of keeping him for big money.

Veach is the best in the business and not an idiot but as I mentioned in another poster, Chris Jones is the #2 DT and top 10 player in the NFL period and a big part of why they are in the midst of potential dynasty so it would be a much bigger roll of the dice to part ways with him like they did with Hill.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.