All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

41 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Could probably get 2 firsts a second and third for a player that caliber. Might be worth it for the chiefs to make the trade.  

Is that a wise maneuver though ?
Is their Offense that strong

Jones made big plays a crucial times in the playoffs etc. I read that. But cannot link
He is just that good hence the two firsts you mention, Is KC on  budget now ? Cuz they have to pay Mahomey soon

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Is that a wise maneuver though ?
Is their Offense that strong

Jones made big plays a crucial times in the playoffs etc. I read that. But cannot link
He is just that good hence the two firsts you mention, Is KC on  budget now ? Cuz they have to pay Mahomey soon

Trading him would be a monumental mistake imo.  They wouldn’t have beaten the Bengals without him this year.  He’s a force of nature and potentially their 2nd most important player 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Trading him would be a monumental mistake imo.  They wouldn’t have beaten the Bengals without him this year.  He’s a force of nature and potentially their 2nd most important player 

if you find a trade partner that will deliver you two top 10 picks possibly worth it.  If it’s two picks in the 20-30 range likely not worth it. The real value in the league now is elite players on first contracts. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

It kinda shows that defense isn't/shouldn't always be the main focus when you have a top tier Qb that you should be building around. 

Ya but a great pass rush is how you stop an elite O. We should have that this year with a top 3 secondary and one of the best LBs in the league. We lost to Cincy because our o was terrible.  10 points won't get it done. Plus all the injuries,  hyde,Von,Daquan,Hamlin 

Add Hyde,Von,Floyd,Poona and Jones to that game and maybe we get a couple to's with the pass rush and elite S, certainly they don't run all over us as well 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

if you find a trade partner that will deliver you two top 10 picks possibly worth it.  If it’s two picks in the 20-30 range likely not worth it. The real value in the league now is elite players on first contracts. 

Right…… which bottom 10 team is going to trade 2 first round picks for a 29 year old DT about to get paid 25M aav?  

sorry, I was thinking about things that were possible. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Right…… which bottom 10 team is going to trade 2 first round picks for a 29 year old DT about to get paid 25M aav?  

sorry, I was thinking about things that were possible. 

Teams that think they are in the top 10 but who are really in the bottom 10, which are identifiable by an elite front office. 

2 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Teams that think they are in the top 10 but who are really in the bottom 10, which are identifiable by an elite front office. 

Yeah….. 👌 

sure…. If you can get 2 top 10 1st round picks, trade him.  

Edited by NewEra

Interesting tweet … although, personally, unless Jones is seeking an Aaron Donald contract, I think the Chiefs are set up pretty well. 

I’ve seen quite a few saying trade him and others saying that just because the Hill trade worked out, doesn’t mean Jones would…

What say y’all?… obviously Jones signing on a team friendly deal is a bad scenario for us, BUT if not… would you rather he sign a mega Donald type deal or the Chiefs trade him for another boatload of picks?  

They’re obviously, in my view, set up well for the future in comparison to the Bills, Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Jets, Ravens etc., that Hill deal put them a step ahead of all of us financially… but Chris Jones is the most dominant DT not named Donald (and I might be willing to say he’s on his level).. they don’t make the run they’re on now without him. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

LOL, no one is going to give that kind of compensation for a 29 year old tackle. 

Pry not that much. Maybe a 1st, 2nd, and a 4th or something like that.  The Lions come to mind as they have the need, the cap space, the draft capital, and the belief that they could be consistent contenders. 

Edited by Doc Brown

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Chiefs might need to make another mid-season trade for a WR. Toney appears to be less durable than Sammy Watkins.

that guy is just a lazy bum.  he doesn't want to practice...this is why ny dumped him.

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I sincerely hope he holds out all season.. he is the Josh Allen of their defense.

Yep. They don't win the SB without him.

People can talk about how many rings mahomes has and how great he is all they want, but there is no way the cheifs would have beaten the bengals without CJ.  He was a one man wrecking crew

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

I'm going to say the thing that everyone keeps saying incorrectly about the Bills:

KC is taking a step back this year.

Step back means KC won’t win the superbowl? Yeah I’m gonna say you have an 90% chance of being correct. Especially if #95 sits out. 

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, Aaron Donald is getting $31.7 milion per year (https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-donald/2952), at least on paper, so it's not crazy. Donald is better, but only by a little bit. Chris Jones is for my money the second best DT in the league. He's unblockable.

I agree.  He’s amazing.  Sucks for the chiefs

30M/year or having to trade Chris Jones would certainly help re-align the step up they’ve taken over the rest of us from crushing the draft recently in conjunction with the Tyreek Hill trade. 

Edited by SCBills

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

30M/year or having to trade Chris Jones would certainly help re-align the step up they’ve taken over the rest of us from crushing the draft recently in conjunction with the Tyreek Hill trade. 

He makes the entire defense go.  There is not a single player on that roster who can make up his impact.  Best pass rusher, man mover, run stopper, gap filler.  

I'm not sure where you can even go from here with it other than just finding a middle ground somehow.  If he doesn't blink and holds out into the season, it puts a ton of pressure on unprepared players on that defense within the front 7.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, Doc Brown said:

Pry not that much. Maybe a 1st, 2nd, and a 4th or something like that.  The Lions come to mind as they have the need, the cap space, the draft capital, and the belief that they could be consistent contenders. 

I don't see anyone giving even a 1st for him. Draft picks are just too valuable for GMs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

I don't see anyone giving even a 1st for him. Draft picks are just too valuable for GMs. 

Bradley Chubb fetched a first rounder and Chris Jones is better than him.  It’s multiple firsts where GM’s rightly become hesitant.

Edited by Doc Brown

2 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Teams overrate draft picks. Personally, I’d rather have a top 3 d linemen over possibly the next 1st round bust. 

And they will come to an agreement soon enough. He isn’t leaving KC. 

On 7/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, SCBills said:

Chris Jones is worth every penny. They have 2 of the best players at 2 of the most important positions in football.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/24/2023 at 12:25 PM, dave mcbride said:

Well, Aaron Donald is getting $31.7 milion per year (https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-donald/2952), at least on paper, so it's not crazy. Donald is better, but only by a little bit. Chris Jones is for my money the second best DT in the league. He's unblockable.

Agreed, but I'm not sure Donald is really better at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

Allow me to present this in another light....

KC pays big money to Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones...and have spent big on Thuney, and Jawaun Taylor.  

Some guys who will are up next.

L Jarious Snead.  They are going to let him walk.  

Willie Gay.  Walking.

Bolton.  They will look at paying him.

Creed Humphrey.  Wlll get paid.

Trey Smith.  Probably will get paid.

KC does NOT have and isn't going to have any 25 to 30 million dollar WR's nor CB's.  

Two things will allow KC to keep Jones, Creed, and probably Bolton and possibly Smith.....

They have proven their offense can run with mid and drafted cheap WR.  And they are very good at drafting and signing UDFA that are very capable DB's.  Also, Justin Rieds big deal will come off the books soon too....KC has his cheap replacements ready to go as well.

I think the Chiefs are kind of a stars and jags type team that keeps it going through good drafting.  

Jones is going to get paid.  DT's play well into their mid 30's.  Jones is awesome and he isn't "fat"  he is tall and lean...and in supurb physical shape.  He played the most snaps in the NFL at IDL last year..so he has stamina and is durable on top of that.

The Bills should consider plowing money into the O line, and then at positions that Josh Allen can't directly elevate like DL/Pass Rusher....and keep on drafting DB's in high numbers....just rotate them through....shutdown corners aren't as valuable when teams run 3 and 4 wide all the time...you shut down 1 guy with your 25 million dollar QB....most teams can sheme around it.  Better to draft 3 or 4 of them every year....and field what sticks...and let them walk when it's payday....rince repeat.  Same as WR. 

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC pays big money to Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones...and have spent big on Thuney, and Jawaun Taylor.  

Willie Gay.  Walking.

KC does NOT have and isn't going to have any 25 to 30 million dollar WR's nor CB's.  

Two things will allow KC to keep Jones, Creed, and probably Bolton and possibly Smith.....

They have proven their offense can run with mid and drafted cheap WR.  And they are very good at drafting and signing UDFA that are very capable DB's.  Also, Justin Rieds big deal will come off the books soon too....KC has his cheap replacements ready to go as well.

I think the Chiefs are kind of a stars and jags type team that keeps it going through good drafting.  

Jones is going to get paid.  DT's play well into their mid 30's.  Jones is awesome and he isn't "fat"  he is tall and lean...and in supurb physical shape.  He played the most snaps in the NFL at IDL last year..so he has stamina and is durable on top of that.

The Bills should consider plowing money into the O line, and then at positions that Josh Allen can't directly elevate like DL/Pass Rusher....and keep on drafting DB's in high numbers....just rotate them through....shutdown corners aren't as valuable when teams run 3 and 4 wide all the time...you shut down 1 guy with your 25 million dollar QB....most teams can sheme around it.  Better to draft 3 or 4 of them every year....and field what sticks...and let them walk when it's payday....rince repeat.  Same as WR. 

Having the best play caller in football helps the Chiefs run their offense with middling receivers, as does their all world tight end. Will be interesting as Kelce slows down to see if they can maintain the middling receivers model. The other success story that was HOF QB, all world TE and middling receivers was decisively not the same once that all world tight end "retired." Granted Pat will be a lot younger than Tom when that happens with Kelce. But still worth watching.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Willie Gay.  Walking.

Nice breakdown.   I think many of us are interested to see how the post-Hill WR model works if/when Kelce slows down or hangs it up. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, Doc Brown said:

Bradley Chubb fetched a first rounder and Chris Jones is better than him.  It’s multiple firsts where GM’s rightly become hesitant.

Good point, but I would add that Chubb is 27 and Jones is 29. This will be the last big contract for Jones. Maybe a team gives a number 1 for Jones if they think he puts them over the hump. I don't think any team who's likely to pick high will give up a number one for a 29 year old DE. 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:21 AM, Zerovoltz said:

Willie Gay.  Walking.

If y’all hit on Ross, I’m going to lose my mind. 

That guy was elite at Clemson before the injury.  

Y’all already did it once with Trey Smith.  

Going to need this golden touch to wear off of your GM, thank you very much. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2023 at 1:21 AM, Zerovoltz said:

Willie Gay.  Walking.

The Chiefs are starting with 77  million more in cap space than the Bills for 2024.

On 7/22/2023 at 9:21 PM, Charles Romes said:

Could probably get 2 firsts a second and third for a player that caliber. Might be worth it for the chiefs to make the trade.  

Agreed as long as it is to NFC non Superbowl competitor if his contract allows a trade.  Would be bad if he was a team Chiefs are playing this year and he takes the trade as resentment to cry havoc on offense players he faces.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, first_and_ten said:

Yeah, nobody would trade a 1st round pick for the best DT in the league in the prime of his career. 

Cheifs should just give him to us for a 5th...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.