Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't know why this is parroted as gospel all the time. It maybe works if you are competing for the Monsignor Martin League Championship, but it basically stops there. 

Diggs behavior is something teams trying to win a World Championship generally try and keep out of their locker room, not something they embrace. Eventually that sort of attitude starts to weigh heavier on the team than his physical gifts. It happens all the time across all sorts of professional and Olympic sports. 

Being correct isn't, and has never ever been, a viable excuse for being a bad teammate. 

Is he being a bad teammate or is he the only one saying what everyone else is thinking? Neither one of us know for sure and this will be a topic of debate until we beat the ***** of the Jets week 1 and will pick back up when we get outcoached in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No not at all, Diggs was most likely not even in touch with Beane or the team about this at all.  The restructure is built into their contract, and they know they are coming and its the GM who will be doing it.  Bills entered the offseason over the cap, everyone knew restructures were happening before we even pursued anyone.  

No disrespect, I know you are just trying to find ways to understand something we don't know the whole story on, but the odds of this are at 0%.  I can assure you the players do not have any say in this and are not consulted.  Fans tend to think players have all this insight, knowledge, input, influence, etc when it comes to GM decisions, who they target in FA or draft, etc.  It is just not the case at all, GM's do not discuss these matters with them.

That doesn't stop players from wanting or even trying to recruit players when they know they are available, but this idea that Diggs was told what the cap space was going to be used for and then upset when it didn't happen is just not based on how things actually happen or work.

See my post above

Allen has alluded to the fact that he is in fact in contact with the front office and they had given him updates on player personnel moves. I could see that being the case with Diggs as well. Whether Diggs had personal conversations with Beane about getting additional playmaker or Hopkins specifically and felt he was misled or ignored who knows what happened there. Bills did make moves on the offensive side of the ball so I don't agree if that is the case.

Tim Graham also reported whatever the issue was didn't have to do with Dorsey so my initial guess would have been the play calling but now personnel moves doesn't seem so far fetched. That or something related to the WR coach Chad Hall who ended up with the Jaguars. When Allen said it wasn't a football issue in his press conference leads me to believe now it wasn't an X's and O's thing or a target related issue. Either issue was between Diggs and Allen or Diggs and McDermott/Beane.

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

While I'm not saying it's what happened but the chance is higher than 0. Diggs is a team captain, you don't think he made his desires known, the front office gave him some lip service and now he is pissed and feels disrespected. 

That is not the same thing though.  Sure Diggs, or any player, can say what he wants to say to whoever he wants to say it to.  But that isn't the narrative we were just discussing where it was being suggested here in this thread that Diggs was upset because Diggs agreed to have his contract restructured (factually incorrect as the restructures are already built in and the GM does not need to consult with said player to execute or need their blessing) for the purpose of signing DHop to which they say is now why he is upset.  

So sure, any player can tell a GM anything they want, nothing stopping that.  But no GM is asking a players permission to restructure a contract, let alone on a promise to sign some other player we may not even sign.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is not the same thing though.  Sure Diggs, or any player, can say what he wants to say to whoever he wants to say it to.  But that isn't the narrative we were just discussing where it was being suggested here in this thread that Diggs was upset because Diggs agreed to have his contract restructured (factually incorrect as the restructures are already built in and the GM does not need to consult with said player to execute or need their blessing) for the purpose of signing DHop to which they say is now why he is upset.  

So sure, any player can tell a GM anything they want, nothing stopping that.  But no GM is asking a players permission to restructure a contract, let alone on a promise to sign some other player we may not even sign.

I spoke to someone earlier today who has a decent track record of being reliable who said Diggs's issue is absolutely playcalling. Felt like he was used as a decoy too often 2nd half of last season. Was open and still the ball didn't go to him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Can’t blame him for that… using Diggs as a decoy to force the ball to someone who catches it at a 50% clip w/ bad ankles in Davis? 

It might be bollocks it isn't an insider it is another UK based Bills fan but his info has been decent before. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I spoke to someone earlier today who has a decent track record of being reliable who said Diggs's issue is absolutely playcalling. Felt like he was used as a decoy too often 2nd half of last season. Was open and still the ball didn't go to him. 

First Half of the Season: 60/83, 857 yards, 7 TD's (3 TD vs TEN)

Second Half of the Season: 48/71, 572 yards, 4 TD's

Extrapolating both to full seasons, one is a top 10 season the other is top 3, and that is without adjusting for a 17th game. The Bills went 7-1 and averaged 29.75 points per game during the stretch Diggs hated so much. One more win and 1.5 more ppg than the first 8 games. 

I keep hearing that he wanted, or needed the ball more, but honestly, Diggs was 1 or two total passes thrown in his general direction  from having the same amount of attention from his QB. He was only down about 1.5 targets per game from the first 8 games to the last 8 games. Is the baseline 11 targets per game? He only average 10 for the first 8 weeks. 11 per game is a top 10 targeted season. Even then most of those top 10 seasons are great players like Calvin Johnson on bad offenses. History cannot be the realistic baseline. 

I always want to know what is the quantifiable solution? No just "more" or "Diggs has to be involved". But an actual metric. That goes for Diggs himself. How many more targets can we realistically push in his direction? Are 1-2 targets per game moving the needle from nearly 30 points per game? 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

No it doesn't. The entire synopsis is that when Diggs doesn't get what he wants he causes a scene like a toddler. This isn't how good teammates behave. It just isn't. 

Stop being obtuse.  This isn't a 40-hour per week email job where expectations are low already.  Nor is it an arena that everyone should sing kum-ba-ya now that last season is over and just hop on the 2023 Process train.  WR's do diva-esque things occasionally, but until we know for sure what happened, this is normie posturing. 

Stefon isn't a choir boy by any means...but it's so TBD for people to attack the player first and not question the events which led to the situation.  3 seasons of no issues until that playoff game and it's all on him?  Yeah. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

First Half of the Season: 60/83, 857 yards, 7 TD's (3 TD vs TEN)

Second Half of the Season: 48/71, 572 yards, 4 TD's

Extrapolating both to full seasons, one is a top 10 season the other is top 3, and that is without adjusting for a 17th game. The Bills went 7-1 and averaged 29.75 points per game during the stretch Diggs hated so much. One more win and 1.5 more ppg than the first 8 games. 

I keep hearing that he wanted, or needed the ball more, but honestly, Diggs was 1 or two total passes thrown in his general direction  from having the same amount of attention from his QB. He was only down about 1.5 targets per game from the first 8 games to the last 8 games. Is the baseline 11 targets per game? He only average 10 for the first 8 weeks. 11 per game is a top 10 targeted season. Even then most of those top 10 seasons are great players like Calvin Johnson on bad offenses. History cannot be the realistic baseline. 

I always want to know what is the quantifiable solution? No just "more" or "Diggs has to be involved". But an actual metric. How many more targets can we realistically push in his direction? Are 1-2 targets per game moving the needle from nearly 30 points per game? 

I wasn't saying I agreed. Just that is what I was told was the route of his unhappiness.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't saying I agreed. Just that is what I was told was the route of his unhappiness.

Sorry, that whole thing wasn't directed at you. Mostly the "well if he got the ball more, he wouldn't act this way" crowd. 

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thats a good gameplan for when you have a dependable #1b

I would be a bit upset with leadership as well..... but really wish Diggs and mgmt had a sit down in the offseason, but then again maybe some manufactured drama is the only way to get leaderships attention here

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Stop being obtuse.  This isn't a 40-hour per week email job where expectations are low already.  Nor is it an arena that everyone should sing kum-ba-ya now that last season is over and just hop on the 2023 Process train.  WR's do diva-esque things occasionally, but until we know for sure what happened, this is normie posturing. 

Stefon isn't a choir boy by any means...but it's so TBD for people to attack the player first and not question the events which led to the situation.  3 seasons of no issues until that playoff game and it's all on him?  Yeah. 

I am not being obtuse. I was specifically speaking to athletics. But thanks....

I am not referencing desk jockey's. I am talking about real life world championship sports; a topic I am well qualified to speak on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks Gunner, this is what it certainly sounds like to me as well, so thanks for confirming some inside insight on it.

Diggs in interviews since the loss even alluded to as much in so many words.  Talked about how the first half the season things were just easier.  Said we were wining still but it just felt harder and like they had to find ways to win in the second half in terms of the offensive flow.  Which coincides with a big drop in his usage too during that span.  

Diggs needs to take a step back and realize that asking for even higher target share is inviting trouble. It's introducing doubt into Allen's mind. Most neutral observers agree that the Bills offense needs to become less forced, more "take what the defense gives you." Defenses are doubling/bracketing Diggs and daring us to beat them elsewhere. In situations like that Diggs needs to understand that he isn't going to be the focal point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am not being obtuse. I was specifically speaking to athletics. But thanks....

I am not referencing desk jockey's. I am talking about real life world championship sports; a topic I am well qualified to speak on.

Tell us what Diggs' beef with the front office/McD/Josh/ownership is.  That goes a long way toward understanding why, 3 years in, his attitude has apparently changed.   

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Diggs needs to take a step back and realize that asking for even higher target share is inviting trouble. It's introducing doubt into Allen's mind. Most neutral observers agree that the Bills offense needs to become less forced, more "take what the defense gives you." Defenses are doubling/bracketing Diggs and daring us to beat them elsewhere. In situations like that Diggs needs to understand that he isn't going to be the focal point.

I actually felt Allen was forcing ball and waiting on Diggs, or somebody too often.

Players desire should not affect the QB decision making.

If he is open hit em. Diggs that is, If he aint / hit the second and third

Hell check it down maybe even ?

If Diggs:

a. Doesn’t have an issue with Dorsey

AND

b. Is frustrated with being asked to curtail his freestyle route running options

…THEN the issue must lie with McDermott. The head coach is the person most likely responsible for overriding freestyling on offense and this would jibe with other grumblings we’ve heard throughout the off-season.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Tell us what Diggs' beef with the front office/McD/Josh/ownership is.  That goes a long way toward understanding why, 3 years in, his attitude has apparently changed.   

You are moving the goal posts. 

My OP that you were responding to was that being correct doesn't excuse bad behavior. 

You said I was obtuse and to not compare it to desk jobs with low expectations. 

I said I wasn't, I am pretty qualified to talk about high level team building and construction. 

Now you want me to explain Diggs beef. 

I fully stand by the fact that being "right" is rarely a good excuse for being a distraction in team sport. Especially on high level teams competing for world championships. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe this.

Issues with play calling seems much more probable than ex-girlfriends impregnated by a teammate. However, if that is the case, was Josh just lying when he said the issues were not football related? If Allen was lying, what was the purpose of lying instead of just saying he didn't want to talk about specifics? Secondly, what about the reports that Diggs met with Beane, McDermott, and the new WR coach but not Dorsey?  Were those reports simply wrong?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

You are moving the goal posts. 

My OP that you were responding to was that being correct doesn't excuse bad behavior. 

You said I was obtuse and to not compare it to desk jobs with low expectations. 

I said I wasn't, I am pretty qualified to talk about high level team building and construction. 

Now you want me to explain Diggs beef. 

I fully stand by the fact that being "right" is rarely a good excuse for being a distraction in team sport. Especially on high level teams competing for world championships. 

Diggs' dissent needs to be understood and no one really knows right now what it's all about.    

That is, unless individual players are always wrong and management is always correct.  And if that's the case you are obtuse.  McD and his staff should always be under the microscope right along with players.  

As for team building, I thought McD's "process" solved all team ills.  After all, this is the franchise that settled on Diggs when Antonio Brown made it know he wouldn't play in Buffalo.  So, roster construction often defers to pure talent.    

What I believe is this all boils down to what happened in that Cincinnati playoff loss with Diggs.  The man did have 10 targets, which was 3 more than Knox and 2 more than Singletary. 

Allen went 25 of 42 for 264 yards, 0, 1 INT.  Sacked only once but was under pressure all game...running for his life! Almost as much pressure as the Dolphins put on Allen the week previous only with far less blitzing. 

Knox went 5 of 7 for 65 yards. (Should have seen more targets!)

Singletary went 5 of 8 for 37 yards.

Diggs went 4 of 10 targets for 35 yards. (Now, those are some piss poor numbers!)

Davis went 2 of 4 for 34 yards.

Beasley went 3 of 4 for 33 yards.

Lil Dirty went 2 of 2 for 10 yards.

Shakir went 2 of 2 for 40 yards.
Morris went 1 of 2 for 6 yards.

Hines went 1 of 1 for 4 yards. 

James Cook saw no passes. 

ToP 33:54 vs 26:06 Bills

My thoughts are the Bengals had the Buffalo offense scouted perfectly and played them extremely well in shutting down that vaunted Bills passing offense. The game was honestly lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The Bengals seemed to run well...34 rushes, 172 yards, 1 TD. Mixon had 20 carries for 105 yards, 1 TD. 

Bills fans were not used to seeing the Buffalo Bills losing like that in the snow and cold. Was it a bad game plan on both sides of the ball? 

I can only hope that the Buffalo coaches fix this... sh**... because the entire NFL world watched that game and will attempt to copy what Cincinnati did in that game.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this may be it but I would suggest a different causation than the play call.  Stefon knows how the offense is designed, how Josh is coached to run it, how he should be used within any particular game plan, whether he is legit open or not and if the ball should come to him.  Half way through the season, Josh injures his elbow and the offensive line has periods of poor pass protection, yet Josh holds the ball, targets deeper routes to players not named Diggs and the offense seems less efficient and becomes more boom or bust.  Dorsey is unable to bend Josh's play style to fit what is actually designed and Diggs is frustrated by it.  Thus Josh saying he personally needs to be a better QB and teammate.  In essence, apologizing for being stubborn.  So, is it Dorsey play calls or is it Josh's deviation from them in his decision making?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I think this may be it but I would suggest a different causation than the play call.  Stefon knows how the offense is designed, how Josh is coached to run it, how he should be used within any particular game plan, whether he is legit open or not and if the ball should come to him.  Half way through the season, Josh injures his elbow and the offensive line has periods of poor pass protection, yet Josh holds the ball, targets deeper routes to players not named Diggs and the offense seems less efficient and becomes more boom or bust.  Dorsey is unable to bend Josh's play style to fit what is actually designed and Diggs is frustrated by it.  Thus Josh saying he personally needs to be a better QB and teammate.  In essence, apologizing for being stubborn.  So, is it Dorsey play calls or is it Josh's deviation from them in his decision making?

Wasn’t it widely reported the Elbow injury limited his short and mid range accuracy ? He was limited with arm angle variation.

Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly.

Edited by julian

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Yea unfortunately I agree.  Something is wrong.  

From the final game.  To Diggs silence all off season.  To Diggs not showing up er given permission to leave after TWO DAYS of heated meetings.  To Allen twisting himself into a pretzel to almost defend Diggs and say how much he loves him.  

Sorry but you don’t pull all this crap over freaking targets.  That’s ridiculously easy to address and fix.  

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea unfortunately I agree.  Something is wrong.  

From the final game.  To Diggs silence all off season.  To Diggs not showing up er given permission to leave after TWO DAYS of heated meetings.  To Allen twisting himself into a pretzel to almost defend Diggs and say how much he loves him.  

Sorry but you don’t pull all this crap over freaking targets.  That’s ridiculously easy to address and fix.  

Agree. I just don't see this Diggs drama being squashed. It's likely to rear its head throughout this season. 

Diggs seems really stubborn and problematic when he's not happy. It got pretty nasty in Minnesota.

Wondering how many guys will echo what Diggs is saying? Will it divide the locket room? Will McD lose some of the locker room. Will it create a riff between players and coaches? I wouldn't be surprised if things get ugly.

I could be wrong and everything might be worked out. Winning will certainly help. 

Get you popcorn ready...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:26 PM, Billy Claude said:

Issues with play calling seems much more probable than ex-girlfriends impregnated by a teammate. However, if that is the case, was Josh just lying when he said the issues were not football related? If Allen was lying, what was the purpose of lying instead of just saying he didn't want to talk about specifics? Secondly, what about the reports that Diggs met with Beane, McDermott, and the new WR coach but not Dorsey?  Were those reports simply wrong?

This is where I am on this. I believe Josh when he says it’s not football related. I believe it was Diggs feeling that Josh wasn’t totally focused. For someone who wants to win as much as Diggs, he should be upset if what is rumored (cops the day before the game) is true. I said in a previous post that Josh said too much in that press conference. It’s hard to believe play calling is the issue when Josh clearly said it wasn’t football related. 

The thing is, none of our other pass catchers were coming through last year: Davis, McKenzie, Shakir, Beasley, Crowder, Brown, etc. They mostly had poor years with a lot of drops.

Diggs , meanwhile, was reliable. But when we were down we tended to use him as a decoy.

Meanwhile, the Vikings basically just threw jump ball after jump ball to Jefferson when they were in trouble against us. They basically said, when the chips are down, let's go with our best. 

The Bills had a weird tendency to try things like the long ball Gabe dropped against the Jets. Meanwhile, when we needed it and we DID go to Diggs, like against the Lions, he came through.

So I get why he got so frustrated. If Josh had hit him on the wide open deep ball for a long TD against the Bengals, it could have been a totally different game. But it wasn't. And he couldn't accept not being relied on instead

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

The thing is, none of our other pass catchers were coming through last year: Davis, McKenzie, Shakir, Beasley, Crowder, Brown, etc. They mostly had poor years with a lot of drops.

Diggs , meanwhile, was reliable. But when we were down we tended to use him as a decoy.

Meanwhile, the Vikings basically just threw jump ball after jump ball to Jefferson when they were in trouble against us. They basically said, when the chips are down, let's go with our best. 

The Bills had a weird tendency to try things like the long ball Gabe dropped against the Jets. Meanwhile, when we needed it and we DID go to Diggs, like against the Lions, he came through.

So I get why he got so frustrated. If Josh had hit him on the wide open deep ball for a long TD against the Bengals, it could have been a totally different game. But it wasn't. And he couldn't accept not being relied on instead

Diggs has plenty of reason to be upset and disappointed. In the playoffs he's been schemed out of the games by the opposition defenses. It's been an issue for too long. 

• Agree 1

Sauce Gardner week 1.  

National TV.  

Should get real fun if Diggs has 2 targets at halftime.   

Dorsey has 2 months plus to figure this out.  Move Diggs around.  Make sure he gets 8 targets minimum.  Do not shy away from Sauce.  But don’t expect 9 catches for 125.  That ain’t happening.  He’s the best CB in the game already.   

If we win, it’s a massive “see, let’s all relax and ball like we can” moment.   

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Except for 4th down with the game on the line in the divisional game against the Giants.  I don't think Diggs is to the diva level of an Antonio Brown or a Terrell Owens.  However, Diggs handled this like an immature child.  It would've been nice if he showed up at voluntary OTA's and aired out his grievances in house.  Enough with the stupid cryptic tweets.  There's plenty of players on this team that want to win who don't air their grievances out so publicly like he did.  You're an elite WR, are being paid as one, and a team captain.  Start acting like it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/20/2023 at 7:29 PM, HappyDays said:

Rapaport is echoing the more credible reports that Diggs was unhappy with his target share in the offense last year. Not with us failing to land Hopkins like that fake sources loser in NYC made up.

I've called their show a cpl times and killed Craig Carton with facts concerning the Jets and this SB talk. 

I get crazy during the games, I totally agree with this take. So many games Diggs gave a spark and I was screaming at the tv to feed 14 when the O got a bit stagnant. I actually like this and should only make the O better , which is a scary sight for opposing defenses 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

This is where I am on this. I believe Josh when he says it’s not football related. I believe it was Diggs feeling that Josh wasn’t totally focused. For someone who wants to win as much as Diggs, he should be upset if what is rumored (cops the day before the game) is true. I said in a previous post that Josh said too much in that press conference. It’s hard to believe play calling is the issue when Josh clearly said it wasn’t football related. 

Yes, I just don't see any reason why Allen would say Diggs' issues were not football related if it was about play calling and I assume that Allen talked  with McDermott and perhaps a PR person about what he was going to say before he met the reporters.  However, that Digg's was unhappy with the play calling absolutely makes the most sense out of the various theories out there.

Edited by Billy Claude

on a completely side, random note, has anyone heard about "baby diggs"?  he's some kid from wny that a football prodigy.  he's having online beef with another kids labled, "baby gronk' from florida.  i'm not sure if i have this correct, but please look into this and be as amazed as i am.  wait until you see baby gronk's mom.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

on a completely side, random note, has anyone heard about "baby diggs"?  he's some kid from wny that a football prodigy.  he's having online beef with another kids labled, "baby gronk' from florida.  i'm not sure if i have this correct, but please look into this and be as amazed as i am.  wait until you see baby gronk's mom.

Does this have anything at all to do with that lab-grown chicken from animal cells? Asking for a friend...🤔 :devil:

image.png.c00b90115b3211f5f4a0ba22fd17cb0c.png

https://apnews.com/article/cultivated-meat-lab-grown-cell-based-a88ab8e0241712b501aa191cdbf6b39a

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Yes, I just don't see any reason why Allen would say Diggs' issues were not football related if it was about play calling and I assume that Allen talked  with McDermott and perhaps a PR person about what he was going to say before he met the reporters.  However, that Digg's was unhappy with the play calling absolutely makes the most sense out of the various theories out there.

I’m not sure Diggs was unhappy with the playcalling, so much as Allen not telling Dorsey to change up some things based on what they’re seeing on the field. That would put the emphasis more on “communication” but look like a straight X’s and O’s issue. Who knows 🤷‍♂️. All we really know is winning cures all, but those wins need to be playoff victories this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.