Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is Tannehill definitely the starter this coming season?

Considering Willis has already been said to look better than Levis, I don't think they are going to throw away Tanny just yet.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Considering Willis has already been said to look better than Levis, I don't think they are going to throw away Tanny just yet.

Dang, forgot about Levis.  That's 2-day 2 QBs they've taken in successive drafts.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

At least he's not in our division. Also who's going to throw the ball to him?

Dearest Mother,

Perhaps Colonel Vrabel would be interested in my offering my services as a grizzled (gristled?) veteran of western campaigns?

Your obedient son,

Andrew

'GOAT'?

image.thumb.jpeg.4c4d0503780ef8e55a001663be257977.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

$12 million in year one.

The combined cap hits of Poyer, Settle, and Hines this year is $12,674,000. Or replace any of those 3 players with Neal or Harty to get the same result. Or just 2 of the mentioned players plus a restructure of White or Dawkins.

That's the frustrating part. This contract was easily manageable and it would have barely impacted our future cap situation beyond 2023.

Starting to get on the Beane sucks train. Our lack of star impact players in rounds 1 and 2 and lack of receiving talent is actually becoming crippling.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

He probably cares about both.  Hopkins has made $111.6M in his career just from football alone.  Two years likely brings him to the end of his career and also likely without a ring, garbage or otherwise. 

And the Titans will have to face the Jags, who many are touting as a contender.  It potentially helps knock them down a bit.

McCoy has garbage rings. Hopkins would have actually been a contributor here so I guess it would have been different here. But I never blame any nfl player for getting every cent they can. It blows my mind that Daniel Jones will make more in his career than Hopkins. 

Honestly Titans- Jags games will be good matchups. But on paper, each of those teams get a chance at 4 east wins this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Would have liked Hopkins but It isn’t the end of the world, the Bills clearly liked what they had on the roster to not make a huge offer for Dhop. If the WR group needs a boost in season the team will have some options to address that via trade.

Eh, their hands were tied financially. I like the hope of these new guys but looking at their careers, wild to get overly optimistic on them. 

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

$12 million in year one.

The combined cap hits of Poyer, Settle, and Hines this year is $12,674,000. Or replace any of those 3 players with Neal or Harty to get the same result. Or just 2 of the mentioned players plus a restructure of White or Dawkins.

That's the frustrating part. This contract was easily manageable and it would have barely impacted our future cap situation beyond 2023.

You could do this exercise for almost every NFL team, KC included.  OR pick another player (similar to Dhop at OL, etc) and do the same drill.

Bottom line, Beane likes his acquisitions and players we already had entering this season to build upon.   He could have made that deal work if he truly wanted. 

Doesn't make it right or wrong yet, can see how this season unfolds and point to this if it indeed holds us back. 

But let's not pretend the #2 offense in the NFL was truly "in need" right now.  We had room to improve, but we lost games when it counted because of defensive meltdowns, poor playcalling/schemes, and just lack of focus/poor execution.  We've been outplayed in the trenches, past 3 playoff seasons. Josh bailed out the OL against the Chiefs in 2021, otherwise we've had the same consistent problems.  Once again, I think it will come down to our OL giving Josh more time and our DL creating more pressure (or least not getting gashed in the run game).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

$12 million in year one.

They didn’t want him.

39 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Nobody should begrudged these guys getting their money when they can. I certainly don't. But let's call it like it is. Dude is nearing the end is chasing the bag, not a championship. If you really think that Tennessee is a legit contender despite playing in a weak division, you are delusional. I never thought he was coming to the Bills and I'm just glad this whole thing is finally over and done.

Haha, you sound delusional. Last year was the first losing season of Vrabels career. He is a top 5 coach in the nfl. I think Tannehill is not good but he is a game manager who hands off to a beast of a rb and their receivers, who were completely garbage, now added a guy who wasn’t too long ago considered the best receiver in football plus a 1st round guy last year. 

again, the Tannehill butt cheek factor is high but it would be stupid to underestimate them. 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

McCoy has garbage rings. Hopkins would have actually been a contributor here so I guess it would have been different here. But I never blame any nfl player for getting every cent they can. It blows my mind that Daniel Jones will make more in his career than Hopkins. 

Honestly Titans- Jags games will be good matchups. But on paper, each of those teams get a chance at 4 east wins this year. 

He probably won't.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t want him.

So if Hopkins took significantly less to come to Buffalo , they wouldnt want him???! Wild take 

Just now, FireChans said:

He probably won't.

I’d love to bet this. I think Jones sucks but if he evens get bottom starter money after this contract, he will pass Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if Hopkins took significantly less to come to Buffalo , they wouldnt want him???! Wild take 

I’d love to bet this. I think Jones sucks but if he evens get bottom starter money after this contract, he will pass Hopkins.

If you want something you’re willing to pay for it. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They structured his deal intentionally so that they have an out in 2 years. Which makes his contract ripe for a restructure or just being flat out cut.

Besides, DJ got drafted in the top 10 and Hopkins was the bottom of the first. Which is why he had a $20M head start.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. Beane and his stubbornness got in the way…. Along with his obsession with overpaying rotational linemen. 

Part of this is right…and Beane will be proven wrong for the 2nd straight season with respect to playmakers.

We’ll see about playmakers. We have Kincaid and Cook, 1st and 2nd round playmakers put into big roles this year.

Depending on what you think about Kincaid as a slot WR they did improve the talent. Gabe Davis is the elephant in the room. They seem to love him. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Gabe Davis got in the way. Wait until they sign Davis for similar money. 

I still like Davis more than most. I think he played through injuries last year, and it affected his game quite a bit.  

I hope that is the case, and he returns to form, now that he is healthy again. He should at least be good enough to be a solid 3rd option, if someone else, like Kincaid steps up as the number 2 target. 

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who cares?  I mean I guess Hopkins could use the extra money to buy one...

But hey, whatever.  It's his decision.  Again I'm glad he chose there.

Edited by Doc

• HappyDays changed the title to Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

As posted in an old Rodgers thread back in the Spring: 😁

Goodnight thread...we knew ye all too well...😪

🎶Should auld acquaintance be forgot 
And never brought to mind? 🎵
🎶Should auld acquaintance be forgot 
And the days of auld lang syne?…🎵

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2023 at 7:09 PM, Zerovoltz said:

If all DHOP cared about was winning, he'd ALEADY be a Chief or Bill.  

DHOP is about money.  Always has been.

He wanted to be the highest paid player when he was in Houston...and Houston at the time was a real up and coming team at that ponit with PRE trouble Watson....they were leading KC 24-0 in a playoff game that if they had won, they would have hosted the AFC title game to following week....he asked out of there at their PEAK so he could be paid.  

Pretty much

If it wasn’t gonna be Buffalo, this probably has the least impact on the Bills (and the rest of the league). Have fun spending the balance of your career toiling henceforth in mediocrity, Nuke. At this point in your career, AJ Brown you ain’t. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You could do this exercise for almost every NFL team, KC included.

I looked at the Chiefs salary cap table. No you can't.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

MVS is the only obvious choice but his dead cap hit is almost equivalent to his cap hit, and they signed him last year.

I chose Poyer, Hines, and Settle as my Bills examples because they are all players who were seen as reasonable candidates to cut or let walk heading into the offseason. Beane instead chose to bring them all back. With Hines and Settle he unwisely gave them pay cuts instead of cutting them outright and letting them find out for themselves how poor their market would be.

33 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

We had room to improve, but we lost games when it counted because of defensive meltdowns, poor playcalling/schemes, and just lack of focus/poor execution.

Gabe Davis had critical drops in each of the 3 regular season games we lost last year. Miami he dropped a TD, NYJ he dropped a critical 3rd down and dropped the final 4th and forever bomb, Minnesota I admittedly don't remember his drop but he is recorded as having a drop in that game.

If any one of those catches is made, we are likely the #1 seed last year even accounting for everything else that went wrong.

Of course there were multiple reasons that we lost games last year, but in Hopkins we had a realistic way of immediately fixing one of those problems. Pointing out other flaws on the team last year adds nothing to the conversation.

It's possible we can still get to the Super Bowl with Davis as the #2 target, but such a feat hasn't been accomplished in at least the last 6 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dang, forgot about Levis.  That's 2-day 2 QBs they've taken in successive drafts.

Yup, seems like they are eager to replace him but the others haven't done enough.

Not sure if you'd want to ride with the growing pains knowing that Henry is most of their offense anyways.  The signing seems to make me think otherwise.

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Lol have fun with Malik Willis, Will Levis or the all-star Tannehill. He went to one of the worst (maybe the worst?) passing attacks in all of football. 

As a person who will never make $13 million in a year, I can’t argue against making $13 million in a year.. that being said, screw him.

• Haha (+1) 1

Best possible scenario for the Bills outside of signing DHop.  No AFC East. No Chiefs.  Not a predicted contender....

Now give Josh some more time....establish a solid running game...put more consistent pressure on the opposing QB and most of all -- Get Nasty....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.