chiefs Kelce will be 34 yrs old. How much longer can he turn in over 1000 yrd. does Kincaid=Kelce?

Coldfronts

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

At 6'5"  and 250 lbs, Kelce is bigger than Kincaid.  While Kincaid is said to be a physical guy who excels in running after the catch, Kelce is still going to have more power given the size difference.  That does not mean that he can't be an explosive receiving tight end and have s similar role to Kelce.  No guarantee he will be either.  We can hope.

KIncaid is 6'4 and 246.  Essentially no size difference at all. 

Whats wild to me about Kelce is how durable he’s been. Other than his rookie year he has played a full season every year and has not suffered a single significant injury. Thats some serious luck considering how involved he’s been in the offense. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Whats wild to me about Kelce is how durable he’s been. Other than his rookie year he has played a full season every year and has not suffered a single significant injury. Thats some serious luck considering how involved he’s been in the offense. 

He is unreal. His production at the TE position is insane.

His body language has seemed a little off the past couple of seasons, though, like he is feeling the grind and wear on his body more and more, and enjoying it all less. Just my own observation.

• Like (+1) 2

Dalton is certainly a recieving threat TE.  I can't speak to his blocking.  Kelce, while not known as a great blocker, lines up and participates and is comeptent at it.  Even though the listed height and weight are similar, Kincaid looks more slender than Kelce (Just my opinion)  I heard Beanes presser about wanting to attack the middle of the field and have mismatches there and that is what they got Kincaid for.  All that makes sense....I would say regarding Kelce...he isn't faster than kincaid or alot of others...and he's not stronger than many others...and there are plenty of guys taller than Kelce in the NFL.  Where Kelce has NO PEER is that he reeds defesnes AND knows the mind of his QB better than any TE playing right now.  Gronk was similar with Brady.  Kelce knows exactly where to go to be open.  He knows it most of the time pre snap...or can read at the snap and know where to run to.  He also knows, based on these reads, what Mahomes is also reading and acts accordingly.  Kelce is almost like a coach on the field....I've seen him miked up, pointing out this and that, he sees and is giving that feedback to Mahomes and Ried constantly.  It's his football mind that sets him apart.  Kelce isn't wide open all the time because teams don't cover him...he's open becasue he knows how to get open.  

And when the time comes for Kelce to ride off into the sunset...Ried and Mahomes will cope and still be very good.  

Last...I do NOT want to come off like I am telling you KC has the next Kelce....I don't know if such a thing exists (seems like only 1 or 2 TE like this every 15 years of so) ....but KC does have a TE with similar skill set and well versed in the offense...quietly was 5th on the team in receptions in 2022...and just turned 24...haivng already played 2 seasons wiht KC....Noah Gray.  If Kelce is injured or starts to slide....this will be the guy who picks up the slack...and he'll de reasonably well when it's his turn.  (low key..he's really good)

I'm looking forward to Kincaid..I think he will be what Bean envisioned...a mismatch in the middle of the field that attacks the heart of a defense...I think the Bills can and will run alot of two TE sets including motioning Kincaid out wide and find him against a slow, shorter LB...should be fun and interesting to see how it looks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Where Kelce has NO PEER is that he reeds defesnes AND knows the mind of his QB better than any TE playing right now.  Gronk was similar with Brady.  Kelce knows exactly where to go to be open.  He knows it most of the time pre snap...or can read at the snap and know where to run to.  He also knows, based on these reads, what Mahomes is also reading and acts accordingly.  Kelce is almost like a coach on the field....I've seen him miked up, pointing out this and that, he sees and is giving that feedback to Mahomes and Ried constantly.  It's his football mind that sets him apart.  Kelce isn't wide open all the time because teams don't cover him...he's open becasue he knows how to get open.  

This is one of the reasons I'm excited about Kincaid. When you watch him at Utah his football intelligence and field awareness pops off the screen. He has an innate understanding of where to sit in coverage gaps and make himself available to his QB, and similarly understands where he needs to be heading as soon as he catches the ball to maximize YAC. Keep in mind he only started playing football as a senior in high school so for a relative newcomer to the sport his instincts are very advanced. I have no doubt he will quickly get on the same page with Josh and become his safety valve, much like Cole Beasley was from 2019-2021.

With a lot of players who suffer from focus drops, you have to coach them on making the catch before they think about moving. With Kincaid it's the opposite - he has the rare ability to catch the ball and simultaneously start moving without a stutter. His best plays on tape are a combination of his great instincts, his elite hands, and his excellent hip fluidity working together in perfect football motion. Flash open, catch the ball, immediately run towards a gap in the defense and pick up chunk yards. Isn't that in a nutshell what makes Kelce so annoying to defend? I find that sequencing more impressive and more consistently translatable to the next level than some of the circus catches on Kincaid's tape, which are certainly impressive in their own right.

Agreed that the mental skill set is what sets Kelce apart from any other TE in history, even moreso than his athleticism. So when I watch Kincaid I see the same sort of fluidity to his motion AND the same instincts/awareness that Kelce has. The only slight disadvantage is that Kincaid is 1 inch shorter and 9 pounds lighter than Kelce was as a rookie, but that difference is almost inconsequential. One advantage is that I think Kincaid has better hands than Kelce coming out, and Kelce didn't have bad hands by any means, Kincaid is just one of the best I've ever watched at plucking the ball out of the air.

It seems crazy to compare any rookie to the greatest TE of all time and I worry that I'm getting myself overly hyped about him, but it's the comp I saw when I first watched some of Kincaid's tape a couple months ago and it made him my draft crush.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Probably another 2-3 years at least. Has shown no sign of slowing down...

Think we are going to continue to see athletes extending their prime years later and later into their careers as they continue to focus on taking care of their bodies through proper nutrition, proper rest and recovery, new sports science that helps them and teams prevent overtraining and injuries, proper workouts and medical advances that repair their bodies better and better.

More athletes than ever before hire personal chefs for their nutrition, have pods for their recovery, ice baths, etc etc down the long list of things they do to keep themselves in peak condition as long as possible. They have begun treating their off field regimen with as much importance as their on field regimen and that has not always been the case.

Athletes near their peak into their mid 30s or possibly even late 30s in rare cases will start to become the norm rather than the exception, IMO.

Career extensions are also aided by Goodell’s desire to legislate physicality out of the game. Some of the penalties that follow are frustrating for the fans, but always beneficial for the players. 

To the original question, I believe Kelce will be able to play another 5 years and at least 2 of them as the best in the game, barring major injury.  He’s been amazingly healthy and his brother is looking like he will play a more physical position until he’s 50.

20 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Sadly I think a lot of his game will be able to carry through a more advanced age. It’s his savvy and knack for reading and reacting that makes him such b**ch to deal with. 

My thought as well. He plays at least 3 more seasons i think. Hes a smart player that will learn how to protect himself and extend his career

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What's remarkable is that the reason he only played 1 game is that he had a season ending injury immediately in year 1.   Now he's Mr. Durable at one of the toughest positions to stay healthy at in football.   Those guys take a beating.   He's cracked the code in this regard.   TE's entering the league should be looking as much at how he stays healthy as any aspect.   Some of it is probably genetics........his brother is durable too.........but there is more to it than that.

He's really good at getting down when all hope for further gain is lost and thereby avoiding the big hits. Diggs is phenomenal in that respect too.

• Like (+1) 3

Kelce is a different breed.  The best pass catching TE by a wide margin imo-  partly in thanks to Andy Reid-  partly in thanks to his hard work- loose hips- great hands and football IQ.  Truly special.  Can’t say anything bad about the guy.  I’ll be very happy when he retires. 

Kincaid has similar physical tools in his loose hips and elite hands.  He knows how to find that soft spot in the zone and excels and catching and turning upfield in the same motion.  He has what it takes to be great.  To be a HoFer.  Can he stay healthy?  That’s the only question I have about his future.  

He’s not Travis Kelce- I doubt we’ll see another Kelce as he’s had Reid and Mahomes to help him become the greatest.  I do think Kincaid- with the help of Allen- can become one of the best at the position.  

On 4/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, Coldfronts said:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/kurt-warner-on-dalton-kincaid-bills-got-a-guy-in-the-travis-kelce-mold

I am glad they did not get Kincaid cause he is the next Kelce IMHO

Well, I think it’s more along the lines of, they know how to use a TE in there system, better that we do at present. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is one of the reasons I'm excited about Kincaid. When you watch him at Utah his football intelligence and field awareness pops off the screen. He has an innate understanding of where to sit in coverage gaps and make himself available to his QB, and similarly understands where he needs to be heading as soon as he catches the ball to maximize YAC. Keep in mind he only started playing football as a senior in high school so for a relative newcomer to the sport his instincts are very advanced. I have no doubt he will quickly get on the same page with Josh and become his safety valve, much like Cole Beasley was from 2019-2021.

With a lot of players who suffer from focus drops, you have to coach them on making the catch before they think about moving. With Kincaid it's the opposite - he has the rare ability to catch the ball and simultaneously start moving without a stutter. His best plays on tape are a combination of his great instincts, his elite hands, and his excellent hip fluidity working together in perfect football motion. Flash open, catch the ball, immediately run towards a gap in the defense and pick up chunk yards. Isn't that in a nutshell what makes Kelce so annoying to defend? I find that sequencing more impressive and more consistently translatable to the next level than some of the circus catches on Kincaid's tape, which are certainly impressive in their own right.

Agreed that the mental skill set is what sets Kelce apart from any other TE in history, even moreso than his athleticism. So when I watch Kincaid I see the same sort of fluidity to his motion AND the same instincts/awareness that Kelce has. The only slight disadvantage is that Kincaid is 1 inch shorter and 9 pounds lighter than Kelce was as a rookie, but that difference is almost inconsequential. One advantage is that I think Kincaid has better hands than Kelce coming out, and Kelce didn't have bad hands by any means, Kincaid is just one of the best I've ever watched at plucking the ball out of the air.

It seems crazy to compare any rookie to the greatest TE of all time and I worry that I'm getting myself overly hyped about him, but it's the comp I saw when I first watched some of Kincaid's tape a couple months ago and it made him my draft crush.

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Age is only in the eye of the beholder. 

I would never compare a draft prospect that has not set foot on the nfl field yet to a possible Kelce.

I put the kids ceiling at Kittle, but that does not mean he won't be better and if we have the next Kittle? is anyone going to complain?  High Tier Talent is all that needs to be said about Kincaid. 

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Age is only in the eye of the beholder. 

Kelce entered the league in age 24 season.......immediately suffered a season ending injury and really didn't begin his NFL career in earnest until age 25 season.

I am less concerned about TE's starting a bit later because I think knowing how to protect yourself from injury is half the battle at the position.........and maturity is a plus in that regard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Kelce entered the league in age 24 season.......immediately suffered a season ending injury and really didn't begin his NFL career in earnest until age 25 season.

I am less concerned about TE's starting a bit later because I think knowing how to protect yourself from injury is half the battle at the position.........and maturity is a plus in that regard.

billion % agree. and for the knowing how to protect yourself? Case in point.. Look at how Josh Allen falls when tacked... Almost like he is just sitting down, unlike tua.. he leans backwards...  So knowing how to take a hit, Fall and toughness is huge.

Great post.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, Coldfronts said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/kc-chiefs-te-travis-kelce-shares-thoughts-on-retirement-in-recent-interview

He is a large part of thier offense. If he retires or production drops so goes the chiefs offense.  

Hes their #1 target by far. They'd be in trouble without him. 

Sky Moore looked like a bust, but too early to throw in the towel. I think they're hoping Toney can be their WR1 , which is possible as far as potential but his track record isn't pretty. 

If Moore and Toney don't ball out, I see a decline in their O even with Kelce. 

Meanwhile Buf upgraded OL, WR and TE and will be the #1 O next year

18 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Nobody's been paying attention, but Noah Gray is damn good!

The other backup Fortson made some big plays when he’s called on too. That’s why I don’t think TE was ever in KC’s draft plan this year.

17 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Sky Moore looked like a bust, but too early to throw in the towel. I think they're hoping Toney can be their WR1 , which is possible as far as potential but his track record isn't pretty. 

Rashee Rice says hi.  Tremendous pick-  maybe not in 2023, but he has the tools going forward. Maybe not an elite WR1, but they won a Super Bowl with similar talent @ WR1.    

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

This might be wishful thinking. As long as Mahomes is throwing the ball on Reid’s designed plays KC will be formidable. 

• Agree 3

All that matters is Reid - when Reid is gone the Chiefs will just be another good team, and probably not a great team. That dude makes any offense click. Having an offensive mind like his consistently work with Mahomes in an offensive league is priceless. 

Edited by bobobonators

7 hours ago, Billl said:

The original thread on the KC message board from when Kelce was drafted is pretty funny.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272536

Just read a page or two of that.  Awesome!  Just goes to show how stupid the majority of fans can be from any team.

NO ONE KNOWS what any rookie will become or not become.  If fans held to that truth, they would look a lot less foolish.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Airseven said:

Kelce has several more seasons of top notch play ahead.

Kincaid is not Kelce.

Wish the Bills could beat the Chiefs when it matters and not have to wait for their best players to age out.

It’s official, this is @Zerovoltzother account. 

45 minutes ago, Billl said:

Because he spiked a fake trophy?

Hey Pats fan.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 5 months later...

He's now 34 years old.

His last 3 games have been short of spectacular; is this norm or is he still recovering from his knee injury (or the workouts Swift may be putting him through?).

Vs Jac 4 receptions 26 yards

Vs Chicago 7 receptions 69 yards

Vs New York 6 receptions 60 yards

His snap counts were in the low 60% range for the first two game but close to 80% against the Jets.

If he continues to play around 80% of the snap counts, will lesser defenses than the Jets D mean he'll start looking a lot more like his old self?

I hope this is the 2023 Kelce... good but not dominant. We shall see...

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

He's now 34 years old.

His last 3 games have been short of spectacular; is this norm or is he still recovering from his knee injury (or the workouts Swift may be putting him through?).

Vs Jac 4 receptions 26 yards

Vs Chicago 7 receptions 69 yards

Vs New York 6 receptions 60 yards

His snap counts were in the low 60% range for the first two game but close to 80% against the Jets.

If he continues to play around 80% of the snap counts, will lesser defenses than the Jets D mean he'll start looking a lot more like his old self?

I hope this is the 2023 Kelce... good but not dominant. We shall see...

He is also coming off an injury

His (Kelce) game isn't based on speed or uber athleticism so he might have 1-2 additional prime or at least very good years left in him. Tony Gonzalez from 2010 to 2013 (Gonzalez turned 34 in 2010) was pretty good all those years not exactly putting up the big numbers he did in his prime but also no longer the focal point of an offense that had Julio Jones and Roddy White to feed. 

In those four years from age 34-38 in ATL Gonzalez put up at least 70 receptions and 6 TD's his yards were also over 850 all but one season (2010 when he still put up a decent 656 yard total). Now I don't know if Kelce will well like Gonzalez but I think it is reasonable to feel like Kelce can put up 1-2 more 1k receiving yard seasons beyond 2023. Much past that is going to be determined by injury and how long he is interested in playing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.