UDFA signings 2023

KingBoots8

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess the process is called Dolorimetry..........and Gouraige may have practiced Dolerimetry instead........which is disarming an opponent just by use of numerous kung-fu-like kicks.

S8rcQc.gif

"That guy jumped right into your trunk! Ain't never seen that before!"

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LEBills said:

And, he is 6'2"

18 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think it's more like 4 or so per season who wind up on the PS and active for a couple of games.  That's $262,000 which is pretty good money for us ordinary Joes and Jills.  And often, at least 1-2 are signed to the active roster the following year.  Quintin Morris was 2021's example - signed to the roster in 2022

As far as actually signing to the active roster same year they were UDFA, that's more rare - Levi Wallace in 2018 and Reggie Gilliam in 2020 last I can think of.

But being signed to the PS for a year or 2 then making the roster is less rare - Tyrel Dodson UDFA signed to PS in 2019, roster in 2020; Cam Lewis PS in 2019, roster in 2021; Quintin Morris 2021 PS, 2022 roster

And of course, the Bills snipe and sign guys who spend development time on other teams PS

Thanks for the nice, clear breakdown

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have received a lot of flack for suggesting that Beane get a gunner/ST guy to replace Siran Neal.  Nothing against Siran at all, but he will

be costing $6.7M over the next 2 years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/siran-neal-25255/

I just think a UDFA like this guy might be a cheap replacement.

Totally agree.  A very good place to save cap money.  This cap money could be a linebacker or DT for 2023.

17 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Pat Williams and Jabari Greer send their regards as well!

Jabari Greer was a good one.  I thought Pat Williams was a 5th round pick, but, checked and you are right.  Great call!

Hopefully we can find a huge DT as an UDFA this year!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Ignoring the fact those dates have passed, is this even possible? I thought once they signed they were under team control until released? 

Never heard of a guy attending multiple teams mini-camp.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TOboy said:

Ignoring the fact those dates have passed, is this even possible? I thought once they signed they were under team control until released? 

Happens regularly. These are unsigned UDFAs who get invites to rookie minicamp to make up the numbers and let them run drills. If they impress they sign.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TOboy said:

He is probably a rookie minicamp invite and not a signing. So he is not under contract but gets an invite to minicamp to try and earn a contract 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Both are tryouts. If Ravens give him a contract from the try out he Cleary won’t attend Bills Camp

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 new WR's, all being brought in to compete and be put under a microscope while being thrown to by no other than .. Kyle Allen? ahaha..

Wonder if they bring in some udfa QB's too. Does anyone know who the best ones are still remaining?

Also, has anyone mentioned Oklahoma OL Chris Murray?

CBS sports has him listed as one of our guys.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-team-by-team-list-of-prospect-signings-after-nfl-draft/

DxTGWxcP_400x400.jpg.c272d1265f4c4b0898eb59a78b303896.jpg

Edited by The_Ripster
  • Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, TOboy said:

That’s not being signed… some UDFA get signed 

Others just get an invite to a mini camp try out… He doesn’t have a deal he’s just trying out

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BRH said:

There's always going to be that one RB who looks like a 1,000-yard rusher but won't make a team because he can't block and might get his QB killed.  I know nothing about Mims, but we're gonna have at least one of those guys in camp every year.

Mims’ draft profile indicates he has pass protection ability while his lack of natural pass-catching ability might keep him off the field on 3rd down.

As an aside, it also says he hasn’t fumbled a touch since 2017 per PFF. 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Florida LT Richard Gouraige should be given a look at RT next to his buddy O’Cyrus. The two could anchor the right side for a long time. 

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-buffalo-bills-signing-richard-gouraige-udfa-nfl-draft

In Gouraige, Buffalo receives a versatile and uber-experienced offensive lineman who could reasonably offer depth at several positions if he makes the team this fall. 

Gouraige, 24, made 42 starts during his college career — 25 at left tackle and 17 at left guard — and allowed just five career sacks across 1,678 pass-blocking snaps with no more than two given up in a single season, according to Pro Football Focus.

The near-6-foot-5, 306-pound Gouraige also produced the best single-season run-blocking grade of his career in 2022 at 65.7 out of 100, per PFF. He earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine as a result of his solid play and longevity in the SEC. 

A product of Tampa (Fla.) Cambridge Christian, Gouraige opted for Florida over offers from Ole Miss, Clemson, North Carolina, FSU and Alabama, among others, in the recruiting class of 2018. 

I suspect he would have been drafted if this wasn’t put out….

Crazy to have snagged an UDFA with 42 college starts between LT and OG who started all 13 games on the blindside his senior season, allowing one sack in 343 pass-blocking snaps, in the SEC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Mims’ draft profile indicates he has pass protection ability while his lack of natural pass-catching ability might keep him off the field on 3rd down.

As an aside, it also says he hasn’t fumbled a touch since 2017 per PFF. 

I think he can catch too. They didn't throw to him a ton. But when they did, he caught it.

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

8 new WR's, all being brought in to compete and be put under a microscope while being thrown to by no other than .. Kyle Allen? ahaha..

Wonder if they bring in some udfa QB's too. Does anyone know who the best ones are still remaining?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-team-by-team-list-of-prospect-signings-after-nfl-draft/

I'm sure they'll bring in a camp arm if nothing else.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

So he must mean "May" LOL. 

A rookie minicamp invite is different than a signing.  It's basically an audition, the guy signs various wavers in return for stipend money for travel, plus food and lodging, and he comes in to show the team what he can do.  If they like him, they'll offer him an UDFA contract.  So no reason he can't do multiple camps, except if the Ravens like him and offer him a contract he'll call the Bills and cancel.

53 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

seems to be a dispute 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, chongli said:

Yeah, you think the Bils would announce each signing on Twitter, knowing how ravished their fan base is for info. Right now, it's hit or miss scouring the web for info.

The Bills will report them when they're signed

The agents like to report them when the team calls up and says "we'd like to offer your guy a contract, is he interested?" and the agents says "sure, Thanks".

But until it's inked, the deal isn't done and the Bills won't report it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Florida LT Richard Gouraige should be given a look at RT next to his buddy O’Cyrus. The two could anchor the right side for a long time. 

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-buffalo-bills-signing-richard-gouraige-udfa-nfl-draft

In Gouraige, Buffalo receives a versatile and uber-experienced offensive lineman who could reasonably offer depth at several positions if he makes the team this fall. 

Gouraige, 24, made 42 starts during his college career — 25 at left tackle and 17 at left guard — and allowed just five career sacks across 1,678 pass-blocking snaps with no more than two given up in a single season, according to Pro Football Focus.

The near-6-foot-5, 306-pound Gouraige also produced the best single-season run-blocking grade of his career in 2022 at 65.7 out of 100, per PFF. He earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine as a result of his solid play and longevity in the SEC. 

A product of Tampa (Fla.) Cambridge Christian, Gouraige opted for Florida over offers from Ole Miss, Clemson, North Carolina, FSU and Alabama, among others, in the recruiting class of 2018. 

I suspect he would have been drafted if this wasn’t put out….

Apparently the Pain Tolerance Test, if there is one, is like "fight club": "Don't talk about Fight Club"

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/pain-tolerance-test-nfl-draft-combine-ian-rapoport-tweet-01gtt5ja8y9h

I'm sorry, why did he wake up with a swollen ankle? Pain tolerance test is not listed on the broadcast schedule, and I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned this part of the Combine before. So where did it come from? And how can fans watch?

That all remains unclear. Three hours later Rapoport tweeted a clarification from the NFL saying, "There is no pain tolerance test. The player underwent a typical physical exam."

An NFL spokesman is clarifying my use of the term “pain tolerance test,” saying: “There is no pain tolerance test. The player underwent a typical physical exam.” https://t.co/8O31ovspK4

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 5, 2023

Sorry, but Rapoport's "there is no pain tolerance test" tweet has people asking a lot of questions already answered by his tweet. Why would "sources" tell him there was a pain tolerance test? Is pain tolerance part of the typical physical exam? Seems like there should have been some follow up questions asked before the original tweet was sent out because it certainly deserved some clarification and simply saying "there is no pain tolerance test" sounds a lot more like a Jedi mind trick than an explanation.

46 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm sure they'll bring in a camp arm if nothing else.

Anyone know if they are allowed to bring in a vet without a job, like a Kurt Benkert or one of the XFL guys like Cole McDonald? Rookies are super dried up. I’d rather a guy who can actually throw maybe work with those rookie guys. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Apparently the Pain Tolerance Test, if there is one, is like "fight club": "Don't talk about Fight Club"

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/pain-tolerance-test-nfl-draft-combine-ian-rapoport-tweet-01gtt5ja8y9h

More on this from "ProFootballDoc" David Chao, who speaks about how there is "tolerance testing" in the sense of moving joints through a range of motion and asking if the athlete is experiencing pain, tingling, or numbness, but not "pain tolerance", more "is the joint able to move normally through a full ROM?"

Chao does point out that Tyler Kroft came into the combine 6 weeks out from a high ankle sprain and evidently, too many doctors from too many teams examined it so he complained of soreness and swelling the next day....but this was a player with an "underlying pre-existing issue".

He says he finds it hard to understand how a player with no underlying or pre-existing issue would experience soreness from the physical exam.

Now personally, if I had 32 or 64 physicians examining any joint on my body I think I'd be hella sore the next day - I think the NFL should limit it to, say, 3 physicians who share results - but then I'm not a fit dude in my early 20s trying to win a $1M/yr job.

Gouraige played over 1,600 snaps at left tackle for Florida over the past three seasons and served as the team’s everyday starter for the past two years. Pro Football Focus gave him an offensive grade of 70.8 in 2022, which ranks 34th overall in the country among draft-eligible tackles that played in over 500 snaps. Gouraige ranked 22nd in the nation with a 78.3 pass-blocking grade.

He shined during Senior Bowl practices as the highest-grade tackle (83.9) of the entire event. His run-blocking grade was particularly high for a player who had never truly excelled in that area while at Florida.

• Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

As a physician, I have no idea what a pain tolerance test is. 

Neither, apparently, does "ProFootballDoc" David Chao, though he did shed some light on the examination process and why soreness or swelling might be a result (spoiler: too many doctors examining a preexisting injury)

I have watched every game of DJ Dale's college career.

Sorry to report that he was part of the reason for Alabama's not so great (by Bama standards) season in 2022. Dale is a stocky DT but he often got shoved around at will by offensive linemen. He provides little pass pressure and when he did record a sack, it was generally becaused Will Anderson was double or triple teamed, or the QB was chased into him. 

Look, I hope that he comes to Buffalo and tears the NFL apart. That said, my expectations are low, sorry.

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have watched every game of DJ Dale's college career.

Sorry to report that he was part of the reason for Alabama's not so great (by Bama standards) season in 2022. Dale is a stocky DT but he often got shoved around at will by offensive linemen. He provides little pass pressure and when he did record a sack, it was generally becaused Will Anderson was double or triple teamed, or the QB was chased into him. 

Look, I hope that he comes to Buffalo and tears the NFL apart. That said, my expectations are low, sorry.

As always, jmo.

I always love the “i watched this team play” or “I’m a fan of this team so I know” posts.  

• Dislike 5

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I always love the “i watched this team play” or “I’m a fan of this team so I know” posts.  

Why the gratuitous need to cast shade? Not very sporting. Bill from NYC is a keen observer of Bama. I think his opinion is valuable. If you're not interested, why don't you just decently remain silent. It's not hard.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

I like keeping up with who the UDFAs are (especially what positions) but in all reality they are camp fodder.

This doesn't mean they are "unimportant" the better the camp guys perform the better they compete against the lower tiered guys

that will make the team.  I hope some perform well enough to be decent PS guys who might get a couple of call ups.

Then again, and this is the fun part, every once in a while, a true "diamond in the rough" is found!  For anyone who does like to root for the

underdog, it almost always becomes a great story.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.