Your WR Draft Board for the Bills

Warriorspikes51

You are a Buffalo Bills Scout.  Rank your draft WR Board for submittal to Beane.  Make it as short or as long as you want.

1. JSN

2. Addison

3. Hyatt

4. Flowers
5. Q. Johnston

6. Tank Dell

7.  M. Mims

8.  J. Mingo
9.  BFW
10. C. Tillman

11.  A.T. Perry

12.  J. Reed
13.  T. Palmer
14.  R. Rice
15.  M. Wilson

16. T. Scott 

17. X. Hutchinson
18. R. Jarrett

19. C. Jones
20. A. Losivas

I've Bolded the players I'd like the Bills to target. 

EDIT: Sorry John Downs, you were forgotten! 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

I like this topic.  I'll give it a go.  I only included players I want the Bills to target.  

1. JSN

2. Addison

3. Flowers

4. Q. Johnson

5.  A.T. Perry

6.  C. Tillman

7.  M. Mimms

8. J. Mingo

9.  R. Rice 

10. T. Dell 

11.  T. Scott

12. J. Downs

13. P. Washington

14.  J. Reed

15.  T. Palmar

16.  Jalen Moreno-Cropper

17.  R. Jarrett

18. C. Jones

19.  Bryce Ford Wheaton

20. Michael Wilson. 

Overall, the draft seems deep in "good" but not "great" WRs.  I'm fine getting one later on in the draft and dealing with the OL, TE, and RB positions first.  

• Like (+1) 1

1. Jordan Addison

2. JSN

3. Zay Flowers

4. AT Perry

5. Quentin Johnson

6. Rashee Rice

7. Cedric Tillman

8. Jalen Hyatt

9.  Tyler Scott

10. Tank Dell

11. Xavier Hutchinson

12. Jonathan Mingo

13. Josh Downs

14. Charlie Jones

15. Marvin Mims

16. Trey Palmer

17. Michael Wilson

18. Jayden Reed

19. Antoine Green

20. Bryce Ford Wheaton

21. Parker Washington

22. Rakim Jarrett

23. Kayshon Boutte

24. Ronnie Bell

25. Andrei Iosivos

Round 1:  JSN or Addison.  I’d consider Flowers, but wouldn’t love it.  
Round 2: Josh Downs, unlikely to be available.  Mingo, Tillman, maybe Michael Wilson,  consider Dell, I’m not crazy about Rice, but maybe in late 2nd

Round 3: Reed, Mims - any of the guys above that might be left.  Maybe add AT Perry.

Edited by OldTimer1960

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hyatt 1 is interesting. Any particular reason? The speed? I love his vertical ability. I think he’s going to need time to develop as route runner.

I like the idea of him and Davis outside and Diggs working the slot when we go 3 wr.

He is the only WR that has no trouble pulling away from fast DBs. He is also great at tracking a deep ball. We already have an elite route runner in Diggs, so I think the perfect compliment to our offense and what Josh has been missing is a real deep threat. He is also very good running with the ball. He will easily replace Mckenzie as our fly sweep/reverse guy.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

You are a Buffalo Bills Scout.  Rank your draft WR Board for submittal to Beane.  Make it as short or as long as you want.

1. JSN

2. Addison

3. Hyatt

4. Flowers
5. Q. Johnston

6. Tank Dell

7.  M. Mims

8.  J. Mingo
9.  BFW
10. C. Tillman

11.  A.T. Perry

12.  J. Reed
13.  T. Palmer
14.  R. Rice
15.  M. Wilson

16. T. Scott 

17. X. Hutchinson
18. R. Jarrett

19. C. Jones
20. A. Losivas

I've Bolded the players I'd like the Bills to target. 

I like Mingo hate Hyatt . I can’t stand stiff straight line speed Wrs. Hyatt not even that fast he ran 4.4s at combine. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Only guys I’m banging the table for in the 1st or 2nd.

Bold 1st round

1 - JSN

2 - Zay Flowers

3 - Jordan Addison

4 - Quentin Johnson

5 - Jonathan Mingo 

6 - Josh Downs

7 - Tank Dell

Completely agree with top 3. If JSN, Flowers & Addison are all gone then it's OL.  I like Mingo or Tillman in the 2nd. Not a fan of Hyatt or Downs.

23 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I like Mingo hate Hyatt . I can’t stand stiff straight line speed Wrs. Hyatt not even that fast he ran 4.4s at combine. 

He's really not just straight line. He actually has some elusiveness. His game speed is more like 4.29 - 4.32 and he's been clocked at those before

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's really not just straight line. He actually has some elusiveness. His game speed is more like 4.29 - 4.32 and he's been clocked at those before

He hasn’t shown that he can run any route other than dig and fly.  85% of his snaps he went against corners playing 10-20 yards off the LOS.  Can he release vs press?  Dunno, never saw him do it before.  Lots of unknowns.

I agree with you that he’s more than just straight line speed and has a little sizzle to his running with the ball in his hand, but his production was based on the offense.  He was wide open on the majority of his targets 

• Like (+1) 1

Excited if drafted in 1st round:

1. JSN

Meh if drafted in 1st round:

2. Zay Flowers

Excited if trade back and drafted in early 2nd:

3. Quentin Johnson 

4. Marvin Mims 

5. Jordan Addison - very overrated ... not understanding the love, but 2nd round is better value

6. Tank Dell - my favorite prospect ... love his get-off 

Meh if drafted in the late 2nd:

7. Jalyn Hyatt 

8. Rashee Rice

9. A.T. Perry

10. Cedric Tillman

Happy to have round 1 of this draft:

JSN

Addison

Johnston

Flowers

Round 2:

Hyatt

Downs

Tillman

Rice

Mingo

Reed

Round 3:

Scott

Perry

Dell

Mims

Palmer

Hutchinson

Boutte

Round 4:

M. Wilson

Washington

C. Jones 

Round 5:

Iosivas

Higgins

Nacua

Wicks

BFW

JMC

Jarrett

Tucker

• Like (+1) 1

I like Addison in the first. I would trade up to get him. I'd take a chance on Johnston if he fell to 27. I'd move up for Kincaid before I thought about any other receivers in the first.

I'd take Hyatt at 59. Though I like Downs a lot, he'll go before 59 and he doesn't really match the kind of receiver we need.

Rice, Mingo, Tillman and Hutchinson are worth consideration, but I wouldn't take them before the third where maybe Hutchinson might still be available. I'd rather use the second for Darnell Washington, Matthew Bergeron, or move up for the lb we were smart enough not to take at 27.

I'd take a late round flier on Bryce Ford-Wheaton. I read the Bills have some interest in Justin Shorter who is another big like Ford-Wheaton you could pick up late. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Only guys I’m banging the table for in the 1st or 2nd.

Bold 1st round

1 - JSN -  6'1

2 - Zay Flowers -  5'9

3 - Jordan Addison -  5'11 

4 - Quentin Johnson -   6'3

5 - Jonathan Mingo -  6'2

6 - Josh Downs -  5'9

7 - Tank Dell -  5'8

If they are under 6' tall I don't want them. Anyone other than JSN is a no for me in the first.

1 - JSN -  6'1 1st

2 - Quentin Johnston -   6'3 2nd

3 - Jonathan Mingo -  6'2 3rd

Not a single one of these guys is rated as a 1st year starter on the NFL's website and even though those ranking stink, I believe they are correct in this group ranking. People are talking themselves into liking avg WRs and pushing to draft them above their value because the position is thin. This draft is full of smurfs and we already have Deonte Harty, so who are they pushing for a starting position? Are Flowers or Downs supposed to start in place of Gabe or Shakir? Or are we "drafting for the future" in the first 2 rounds? Because QB is the only position you draft in those rounds and then sit. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know I’m in the minority but I like Johnson the best. But I’m a boom or bust measurables guy. I dig JSN too and he is probably better than Johnson, but Johnson brings elements we don’t have here.

If he hits he's going to be very good, but there's a low floor. Scares me, but if he's there at 27 I probably couldn't resist.

And folks, it's Quintin Johnston. Every time one of youse guys writes Johnson I know it's wrong but my OCD has to check to make sure I haven't been imagining the t.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If he hits he's going to be very good, but there's a low floor. Scares me, but if he's there at 27 I probably couldn't resist.

And folks, it's Quintin Johnston. Every time one of youse guys writes Johnson I know it's wrong but my OCD has to check to make sure I haven't been imagining the t.

It’s actually Quentin Johnston! 

But point taken. My own OCD failed me in my own post! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It’s actually Quentin Johnston! 

But point taken. My own OCD failed me in my own post! 

You dropped the “t”, he drops passes.  I meant that to be funny, but go watch a few games of his and see if you can find many passes that he catches with his hands.  He body-catches way too much and I have bad visions of Josh Allen fastballs ricocheting off his chest with regularity.

If he learns to catch with his hands, he might be good.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

At 27, JSN excites me the most and Johnston scares me the most. Addison is perhaps the best route runner and most pro-ready. Flowers is explosive and is built like a tank, playing above his size. Feel similarly about Hyatt as Johnston: both strike me as slightly built, even if they have height and speed, and fairly limited in route tree.  

After 27, I like Dell and Mingo. Would be fine with Downs, but not super excited. Rice scares me, too. Boutte might be a name to watch with the LSU WR coach connection, but meh on him. 

Running to the Podium in 1st

JSN

What I Really Want for WR/Draft

Mike Evans: Big, strong, deep threat, proven, gets 50/50 balls. For a 2nd and 5th

Trade Out of 1st. Get another pick and get the RT, LB, and Massive DT we need in this draft.

Possibly Trading Up in 2nd, But Not Sold on It Unless this is Buffalo's #2 or #3 receiver on their board. Even then...

Johnston and Addison

WR I Like But Not Sure Why

Mingo

WR's I Don't Like

Hyatt, Downs, Dell

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 1

If I am Brandon Beane and I am starting from the assumption that Josh Allen is my QB (obviously) and Ken Dorsey is my OC.

Round 1

1. Jordan Addison - the best route runner in the class and the Bills tend to value route running above all other WR traits.

2. JSN - highest floor. He is the starting slot day 1 and is going to produce as a rookie so long as he stays healthy. I think he has enough flex to play some outside receiver down the road.

3. Quentin Johnston - it hasn't been their MO at receiver particularly but we know Beane likes toolsy traits guys otherwise. Little disappointed in his 40 time and hands are a huge question mark.

If any of those 3 are there at #27 I'd take them almost regardless of who else is on the board. 

4. Jalin Hyatt - only if the board falls a certain way and only if a trade back isn't there. He is 1 dimensional but the deep ball is the most valuable of single dimensions and I think the thing that is getting missed a bit by his critics is how well he tracks the deep ball. Not many vertical only receiver prospects I have seen that track it as well as him.

Round 2

5. Josh Downs - limited to a slot only but he is a plug and play starting slot for the next 4 years and possibly a second contract too.

Again if he is on the board at #59 and we haven't gone receiver round 1 I'd draft no matter what (he likely isn't though).

6. Rashee Rice - only if the board fell a certain way but he is the best route runner of the "2nd tier" guys and as above the Bills value that. 

7. Cedric Tillman - have him above Rice on my general board but switch them as a Bills fit. He is a bit Gabe Davis esque to me. Not a big separator but probably more elusive ball in hand (and more reliable hands). 

Round 3 

8. Xavier Hutchinson - again it's route running. He is the best route runner of that tier of guys and while he doesn't pop on tape he is reliable. 

9. Marvin Mims - he might higher on their board because he has some speed and big play threat but he drops too many balls and I think they might have had their fill of that.

10. AT Perry - decent route runner, uses leverage well. Again doesn't jump off the tape but has some upside. 

11. Tank Dell - not sure if they'd take him in the 3rd but he is a gimmick receiver who can do some of the old Isaiah McKenzie stuff and has some return value.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know I’m in the minority but I like Johnson the best. But I’m a boom or bust measurables guy. I dig JSN too and he is probably better than Johnson, but Johnson brings elements we don’t have here.

I felt the same-  but now I’m just straight confused lol. Josh throws lasers.  I need to trust that whomever we pick can routinely catch laser beams.  I don’t think I fully trust him catching the ball.  Especially in the cold playoff games 

Quentin Johnston

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

Zay Flowers

Jordan Addison

Jalin Hyatt

Josh Downs

Nathaniel "Tank" Dell

I'd only be interested in the Top 4 in the 1st Round. Quentin Johnston is the best fit as far as size, speed, and outside playability.

My hope is that the WR's fall as a whole and that teams go with JSN and Zay first and that Johnston is within striking range of a trade up that wouldn't require much compensation.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If I am Brandon Beane and I am starting from the assumption that Josh Allen is my QB (obviously) and Ken Dorsey is my OC.

Round 1

1. Jordan Addison - the best route runner in the class and the Bills tend to value route running above all other WR traits.

2. JSN - highest floor. He is the starting slot day 1 and is going to produce as a rookie so long as he stays healthy. I think he has enough flex to play some outside receiver down the road.

3. Quentin Johnston - it hasn't been their MO at receiver particularly but we know Beane likes toolsy traits guys otherwise. Little disappointed in his 40 time and hands are a huge question mark.

If any of those 3 are there at #27 I'd take them almost regardless of who else is on the board. 

4. Jalin Hyatt - only if the board falls a certain way and only if a trade back isn't there. He is 1 dimensional but the deep ball is the most valuable of single dimensions and I think the thing that is getting missed a bit by his critics is how well he tracks the deep ball. Not many vertical only receiver prospects I have seen that track it as well as him.

Round 2

5. Josh Downs - limited to a slot only but he is a plug and play starting slot for the next 4 years and possibly a second contract too.

Again if he is on the board at #59 and we haven't gone receiver round 1 I'd draft no matter what (he likely isn't though).

6. Rashee Rice - only if the board fell a certain way but he is the best route runner of the "2nd tier" guys and as above the Bills value that. 

7. Cedric Tillman - have him above Rice on my general board but switch them as a Bills fit. He is a bit Gabe Davis esque to me. Not a big separator but probably more elusive ball in hand (and more reliable hands). 

Round 3 

8. Xavier Hutchinson - again it's route running. He is the best route runner of that tier of guys and while he doesn't pop on tape he is reliable. 

9. Marvin Mims - he might higher on their board because he has some speed and big play threat but he drops too many balls and I think they might have had their fill of that.

10. AT Perry - decent route runner, uses leverage well. Again doesn't jump off the tape but has some upside. 

11. Tank Dell - not sure if they'd take him in the 3rd but he is a gimmick receiver who can do some of the old Isaiah McKenzie stuff and has some return value.

All of this is really good....except Tank Dell.  He's not a gimmick WR.  His elusiveness and agility on route running is ridiculous. 

He has seasons of 90 and 100 receptions with 29 TDs over the last 2 years...the most in college football

That said, I don't know if the Bills will want to take him.  They just signed Harty who is also under  5'9

Edited by Warriorspikes51

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.