Building an Entire Draft Board: Wide Reciever's Rankings

Chaos

Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #27?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #27?

2. 2. Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #59?

3. 3. Which of the following players would make you happy with the Bill's draft pick #91?

Based on NFL.com grades, NFL.com estimates 31 WR's will be selected in the draft. 15 of these players have grades suggesting they could be selected in the first four rounds. 

Based on PFF grades, PFF estimates 36 WR's will be selected in the draft. 18 of these players have rankings suggesting they could be selected in the first four rounds. 

There is not an 100% overlap of the players they estimate in the first four rounds.  22 Different Players exist in one or both lists. This a list of those 22 players.  The are ranked by NFL.com grade, and the ranking within PFF for WR's is shown in the right hand column.  There is a giant disconnect at the top of the board with Jalin Hyatt having the highest NFL.com Grade, and PFF ranking him 10th.  Internet websites have all of these guys similarly all over the place. 

image.thumb.png.f4db246c42f25686561ebfabeafa2d94.png

To build the board, I am asking people to identify all of the players they would be happy if they were selected in the first round. Same question for the second round, Same question for the third round.  I will use these results to build a consensus TBD ranking (well, consensus of people who participate in the poll).   NOTE - there is  a 20 answer limit, so the round answers will leave the two most unlikely off.

NFL.com grades can be seen here: https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/all-positions/all-colleges/
PFF.com Big Board Rankings can be seen here: https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2023

Edited by Chaos
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I hate the NFL.com WR rankings this year. They make no sense to me, but it just shows what a mixed up underwhelming class it is. 

Guys I could live with at #27 (wouldn't be delighted with any):

Addison, Johnstone, JSN and Hyatt

Guys I could live with at #59:

Flowers, Downs, Tillman, Rice

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hate the NFL.com WR rankings this year. They make no sense to me, but it just shows what a mixed up underwhelming class it is. 

Pretty solid options for each slot. 
#91: Mingo, Scott or Reed. If he tests at the pro day then Boutte. 

Edited by BBFL

15 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Xavier Hutchinson deserves 3rd round consideration. 

I agree, but NFL.com and pFF do not agree. 

the rankings, even post combine, are all over the board.  These are X. Hutchinsons:

image.thumb.png.39985b3083520273918db6cbc15ada3d.png

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with those two lists.  I battle with flowers and Hyatt @ 27.  I don’t think either are worth the pick and would much rather trade down, but I’d be happy that we added some more speed and playmaking ability.  

Edit:  I’d Jayden Reed to guys I’d be happy with in rd 2 

Edited by NewEra

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree with those two lists.  I battle with flowers and Hyatt @ 27.  I don’t think either are worth the pick and would much rather trade down, but I’d be happy that we added some more speed and playmaking ability.  

Edit: I’d also ard Tillman and Jayden Reed to guys I’d be happy with in rd 2.  

Note to everyone following this topic, only total votes matter. The percentages shown in the charts are misleading. For example 19/28 voters would be happy with JSN in the first. The 21 percent shown in the chart, is out of total multi-votes.  (side note, not sure why this is not 28/28 :) )

image.thumb.png.4b0adec37697e166433cef691b093253.png

Edited by Chaos

What’s weird is only 11 people would be happy with addison in rd 3.  

You should thin out the lists some.  I mean, who wouldn’t want addison, flowers or

Downs in round 3?  If those people

exist, do we really want to know their opinion?  😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What’s weird is only 11 people would be happy with addison in rd 3.  

You should thin out the lists some.  I mean, who wouldn’t want addison, flowers or

Downs in round 3?  If those people

exist, do we really want to know their opinion?  😉 

I will assume that the leaders in round 1, are perfectly acceptable in rounds 2 and 3.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Edit:  I’d Jayden Reed to guys I’d be happy with in rd 2 

I really like Jayden Reed, but I question if he will be there at 59. I am concerned Beane will go for a LB in 1 and then a lineman in 2, leaving sloppy seconds and thirds at WR in 3. They just don’t swell to value receiver like other teams. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I really like Jayden Reed, but I question if he will be there at 59. I am concerned Beane will go for a LB in 1 and then a lineman in 2, leaving sloppy seconds and thirds at WR in 3. They just don’t swell to value receiver like other teams. 

I don't know anything about Reed.  Here is the NFL.com writeup about him, for others that may not be familiar

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jayden-reed/32005245-4526-3142-e96f-a871c08a1138

45 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

We know, you’re concerned that Beane will “insert action of the day”. We get it. 

looking at the draft classes- the OL and WRs available in rd 3 are much better than the Mike options.  There’s a chance that whomever we draft @ MLB will be counted on to be our starter for year 2-4(5) of his contract.  I don’t like any of the LB options but I also haven’t dug in too deep this year.  

I see most of the off ball Lbs being talked about in rd 3+ are under 230.  They can add weight  so it may not be an issue…. But it may.  Pappoe and Dorian Williams make sense because of their coverage ability but can they stop the run? They could be liabilities with Milano being our other backer.  

I agree about Reed.  I don’t think he’ll be there.  I expect another huge run on WRs in rd 2 like last year.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you think the Bills’ feel that they’re set in the slot with Shakir and Harty?  If yes, then would you still consider Flowers and Downs?  I think they are both better than Shakir/Harty, but how many slot guys are needed?

I worry about Johnston because of drops/body catching.  That isn’t a good pairing with Allen’s rocket arm, but if people are convinced that his hands are better than advertised, for sure he is intriguing.

Do you see Tillman as having the juice to separate in the league?  I worry about that with him and also with Rice, in spite of his athletic tests at the combine.  I like Rice better than what I’ve seen of Tillman, but to me they both don’t seem to have the great ability to shake man coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Do you think the Bills’ feel that they’re set in the slot with Shakir and Harty?  If yes, then would you still consider Flowers and Downs?  I think they are both better than Shakir/Harty, but how many slot guys are needed?

I worry about Johnston because of drops/body catching.  That isn’t a good pairing with Allen’s rocket arm, but if people are convinced that his hands are better than advertised, for sure he is intriguing.

Do you see Tillman as having the juice to separate in the league?  I worry about that with him and also with Rice, in spite of his athletic tests at the combine.  I like Rice better than what I’ve seen of Tillman, but to me they both don’t seem to have the great ability to shake man coverage.

Point 1 - I really suspect so, which I think probably means a no to Downs. They might still consider Flowers because I think some teams will convince themselves he can play outside (I have my doubts). 

Point 2 - same. I don't have a true 1st round grade on him because he consistently plays smaller than his size and his hands catching skills are sub optimal. But gives the speed / size / production you are getting and the weak class around him if he drops to #27 I think you have to roll the dice. 

Point 3 - I think Tillman could be a Gabe Davis. I think he will separate enough, but he isn't gonna be a big separation guy, he is a possession receiver. I like Rice's tape better than Tillman's but his display at the senior bowl is a legit concern. But again... in the class they are in... at #59.... I think maybe you take a punt?

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Point 3 - I think Tillman could be a Gabe Davis. I think he will separate enough, but he isn't gonna be a big separation guy, he is a possession receiver. I like Rice's tape better than Tillman's but his display at the senior bowl is a legit concern. But again... in the class they are in... at #59.... I think maybe you take a punt?

I think you are right, if you want a WR in this draft, that will be what you have to do.

I’m right there with you on Rice - level of competition and then invisible at Senior Bowl are both concerns.  

I like Tillman’s hands and size, hope he can get open v. NFL DBs.

Brings me back to TE question - I know Kincaid won’t be a strong blocker, but isn’t he already a better receiver than most WRs in this draft?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.