Odell Beckham saga over! He signs with…..

DJB

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When you think about his knee issues, this might be his last big paycheck too, so getting as much as he can makes sense in case his knees don't cooperate with hi

I agree. He’s looking out for his own interests $$ with newest health risk.  Although, me, I did give up a few $ to have good teammates, better location but I never had health risk. He’s making sure to cash in. 

something feels way off with Ravens mgt

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The difference is Miller proved to be back to an elite level after his injury.  OBJ hasn't played at an elite level in 4+ years and didn't play a single down after tearing his ACL (again), so no one knows what to expect from him.  Paying him that much is ridiculous.  Never mind that the Ravens have a disgruntled QB and this is an attempt to placate him.

To be fair, O'Dell looked great in that playoff run and Super Bowl for the Rams before the ACL.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

If he is released any contract is net new.  Arizona takes their own cap hit but the new team has to pay him.  

Ok.  So then at this point, seeing what OBJ got, he would want to be released and double dip with whatever AZ owes him and then get on a new contract.  Or sign with a contender for next to nothing because he's already going to get 19m (I think that was his cap hit this year).

5 hours ago, chongli said:

Funny how obviously this tweet is coming from the agent: "reachable incentives" and "negotiated by X." 

Makes me so angry when people apply the term "journalism" to sports news reports (as though a blatant shill job like this--not inherently immoral or anything like that, just clunky and transparent--is somehow representative of actual adult journalism). We all know it's just quid pro quo proxy statements authored by competing interes

Wait a minute...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Most of the reason for having an agent and not doing it yourself is to have the agent act as a buffer from having to hear the team argue why they don't believe you deserve that money and try to minimize some of what you accomplished or explain it away...

No matter how good the intentions are between the two sides, a player hearing this will always have some level of hurt feelings whereas he would not be privy to all the details and things that were said between the team and agent and the agent would soften whatever negative stuff was said plus he would be hearing it secondhand.

This is the biggest issue with players trying to negotiate for themselves. They hear stuff they can never unhear from the team and they are human, it is going to effect their attitude and feelings towards the team in a negative manner.

That's just one aspect and consequence of the negotiation process.

I believe you are selling what agents do woefully short. Agents do this kind of work daily, are very adapt in the process, and often can get even more than a player expects.

Lamar representing himself is a very very very poor move. His decision is really mind boggling. Is he really too cheap to pay a 1 to 3 percent fee to an agent? That's peanuts. Does he really think he can be a better negotiator than a skilled experienced agent? Come on now! 

The brunt of the blame shifts to Lamar. He put himself in this position and I feel no empathy for him. I believe a deal would have likely been made if he hired a skilled agent. A skilled agent could have had a chance to tell Lamar his demands aren't realistic. Instead, he has his mom patting him on the back. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

At 15m per salary I don't think he cares

I don’t thinks either and the Ravens are desperately trying to get Lamar to accept a deal or make him happy on the tag.   I other team I believe would’ve come up with this $.

My only point is some have rushed out of the gate to be first and lay out $18 mil. That’s conditional on incentives and we do t even know what they are.

My gut tells me that OBJ's agent leaked to NFL Network that OBJ to the Jets was close to a done deal pending a physical on Monday.  Ravens may have gone all Jimmy Haslam and got desperate so they panicked to match his asking price of 15 million guaranteed.  Glad he's not on the Jets on around an 8 million dollar deal like I assumed was going to happen.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Up to" $18M. Wonder how much of that is actual money.

People on here weren't seeing how much he'd be asking. That's why he isn't here, IMO. As a player, he'd be a really good add. With his salary requests, not so much, maybe.

Seems like a "Lamar, come back, see the shiny thing we got for you?" kind of a move to me.

15 million guaranteed with another 3 in reachable incentives 

8 hours ago, Since1981 said:

I agree. He’s looking out for his own interests $$ with newest health risk.  Although, me, I did give up a few $ to have good teammates, better location but I never had health risk. He’s making sure to cash in. 

something feels way off with Ravens mgt

I hope people are getting close to putting to bed the idea that the ravens are still a very well run and managed organization. This was a huge overpay on their part and reeks of panic. OBJ took the money, which was smart. when a player at the end of his career finds a team willing to get stupid like that. It’s almost always a good idea to let them. 

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don’t get this at all, for either side.  

Is OBJ and Huntley supposed to make each other better?

Pretty easy to get it from OBJ's side, 15mil. for one year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean he clearly prioritized money even though its a 1 year prove it deal to try and get a multi-year deal next year.  

He won a SB already though in which he was a key player for that SB run and in the SB up until he got hurt.  So he has his ring...don't blame him for taking the money over say taking much less to play for a contender.  Plus he gets a big role there too.  

When you think about his knee issues, this might be his last big paycheck too, so getting as much as he can makes sense in case his knees don't cooperate with him.  

I mean, from Odell's perspective, this is the perfect deal. If he plays poorly, he's made his money. If injuries take him down, he's made his money. If he somehow, miraculously has an amazing season, north of 30, coming off an ACL, then he will make, you guessed it: more money. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Rivers made the playoffs 7 out of 16 season. Lamar made it every year if his career until he missed the rest of this year when they were the number 1 seed. Is Allen never going to win a SB because he hasn’t? Saying absolutes about young qbs, much less one who has a 70% winning %, is pretty stupid. 

Reading comprehension…, it was stated as :”similar” and no absolute statement was made, but that’s okay, i know you feel better know 😁👍

8 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Baltimore wants to win and the Bills are content where they are. Sad. They probably pass us in the AFC now too (KC, Cincy, Baltimore, soon to be Jets, all better)

The Bills organization is very good but they just seem to fall short come playoff time. 

These next few years should really tell us a lot. 

Weird deal all around.  I guess it makes sense for OBJ from a purely financial perspective, but from a football perspective he picks a team without a QB proven to make receivers productive?  Maybe he just likes purple?  He did go to LSU…

For the Ravens, I don’t get it at all.  Health risk, QB questions…just an odd situation.  Whatever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Very happy that the Bills didn't consider paying a past his prime receiver 15 million a year after tearing an ACL TWICE over the last few years, and before that a broken ankle.  Not worth it.

The Ravens would be much better with the TWO (needed) very good receivers they could have signed for that money.

How do the Ravens pay OBJ $18M and also pay Lamar Jackson?  Ain't gonna happen.  This is a clear message that Jackson is going to another team this coming season, and that the Ravens are going to start the search for their next franchise QB.

To me, this is all nuts.  I realize the NFL-agents-media complex wanted to punish Jackson for not employing an agent, but the Ravens are tossing away the services of their best player, one of the best in the NFL.  And for what?  An aging, injury-prone formerly excellent WR, who's getting close to retirement.  By the time the Ravens find their new QB, OBJ will be long gone, along with the Ravens' chances to unseat the Bengals in their division.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Weird deal all around.  I guess it makes sense for OBJ from a purely financial perspective, but from a football perspective he picks a team without a QB proven to make receivers productive?  Maybe he just likes purple?  He did go to LSU…

For the Ravens, I don’t get it at all.  Health risk, QB questions…just an odd situation.  Whatever.

To me it feels like the Ravens got stupid looking for some good PR. And they were looking for a way to make Lamar a bit happier about playing on the tag this season. That’s all I got.

On OBJ’s side it is easy to see. No other team was going to come close to handing out that contract. $15M guaranteed is ridiculous for where he is now. 

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

why is there always criticism for players signing for the most money? Everyone here would do the same thing

I would usually take the most money, but I would also want to look at the working conditions, and the nature of what my duties would be in a new job.

Players always yammer away about wanting to win.  This move means the only way OBJ ever gets a ring is to use some of his millions to buy one from a hard-up retired veteran from an actual champion.

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I would usually take the most money, but I would also want to look at the working conditions, and the nature of what my duties would be in a new job.

Players always yammer away about wanting to win.  This move means the only way OBJ ever gets a ring is to use some of his millions to buy one from a hard-up retired veteran from an actual champion.

He got a ring with LA Rams two years ago...

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

can't compare an NFL player to a regular job. He's a WR so his job duties are to catch the ball and working conditions with most NFL teams are pretty good. Nice facilities, food....free uniforms

Connor Hughes on Twitter: "Odell Beckham Jr. called the #Jets last night & gave them a chance to match the offer he got from the #Ravens, per sources. They were never going that high, though. Again, with Jets, he’s their No. 3. Ravens gave him a better deal. He took it." / Twitter

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

can't compare an NFL player to a regular job. He's a WR so his job duties are to catch the ball and working conditions with most NFL teams are pretty good. Nice facilities, food....free uniforms

Cost conscious owners have appointed Dave Gettleman as league wide proctor and cafeteria monitor to make sure nobody  gets too much.

"KELVIN BENJAMIN!!!  Put down that extra Twinkie!" 😠

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't understand why teams keep paying huge money for what seem to me to be declining or over-the-hill players. It's like they're paying for the player the guy was five years ago. 

Seems terribly dumb to me. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

To me it feels like the Ravens got stupid looking for some good PR. And they were looking for a way to make Lamar a bit happier about playing on the tag this season. That’s all I got.

On OBJ’s side it is easy to see. No other team was going to come close to handing out that contract. $15M guaranteed is ridiculous for where he is now. 

The Ravens want to incentivize Lamar to sign by signing OBJ. If giving OBJ 15mil helps Lamar get closer to signing and put pen to paper its WELL worth the lack of production they will receive  

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He made the right choice at his age.  Secure the bag!  

Lamar will have him over 1,000 yards, easy, if he stays in Baltimore and OBJ is healthy.  

Why are we acting like Lamar Jackson is all of a sudden this great passing quarterback.

he never was that

Now he seems to be hurt all the time

40 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Very happy that the Bills didn't consider paying a past his prime receiver 15 million a year after tearing an ACL TWICE over the last few years, and before that a broken ankle.  Not worth it.

The Ravens would be much better with the TWO (needed) very good receivers they could have signed for that money.

What two good receivers can you sign for $15 million? 

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why are we acting like Lamar Jackson is all of a sudden this great passing quarterback.

he never was that

Now he seems to be hurt all the time

he’s not but he has played with garbage. I didn’t want Beckham at any price but he is the best receiver Lamar has ever had, which is sad because he’s kinda broken. But this is their “Diggs move.” 

41 minutes ago, Utah John said:

How do the Ravens pay OBJ $18M and also pay Lamar Jackson?  Ain't gonna happen.  This is a clear message that Jackson is going to another team this coming season, and that the Ravens are going to start the search for their next franchise QB.

To me, this is all nuts.  I realize the NFL-agents-media complex wanted to punish Jackson for not employing an agent, but the Ravens are tossing away the services of their best player, one of the best in the NFL.  And for what?  An aging, injury-prone formerly excellent WR, who's getting close to retirement.  By the time the Ravens find their new QB, OBJ will be long gone, along with the Ravens' chances to unseat the Bengals in their division.

It’s a one year deal. 

39 minutes ago, Utah John said:

He has a ring and the Ravens are always good. Some of you act like he went to the Jags.  The Ravens have been one of the best franchises in the nfl for the last 20 years.

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What two good receivers can you sign for $15 million? 

he’s not but he has played with garbage. I didn’t want Beckham at any price but he is the best receiver Lamar has ever had, which is sad because he’s kinda broken. But this is their “Diggs move.” 

It’s a one year deal. 

He has a ring and the Ravens are always good. Some of you act like he went to the Jags.  The Ravens have been one of the best franchises in the nfl for the last 20 years.

It’s a huge risk
Diggs has never shredded, his knee, knock on wood the way that obj has

51 minutes ago, Strethor said:

The Ravens want to incentivize Lamar to sign by signing OBJ. If giving OBJ 15mil helps Lamar get closer to signing and put pen to paper its WELL worth the lack of production they will receive  

It does not incentivize Lamar to work out a long term deal. It only incentivizes him to play on the tag this year. I’d argue that overspending on OBJ for 1 year instead of using that cap space to acquire a longer term solution at WR actually de-incentivizes Lamar from signing long term.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.