Odell Beckham saga over! He signs with…..

DJB

24 minutes ago, Chaos said:

They were a fluke play away from beating the Bengals in the playoffs ( a team that kicked our butt the next week). If Lamar plays on the tag, and OBJ plays back to old form, they will be better than the team that almost beat the bengals. 

Agree...they also were leading 20-7 or something over us before we came back to win 23-20..  Last year ew had a lot more closer games than the previous year....This year is going to be even tougher with the stockpiling of talent in the AFC.  The Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, Jacksonville and the Chargers have Franchise QBs and will continue to be good.  The Dolphins, and Jets have improved massively...A coaching change in Denver could bring them back to contention...The Steelers and Ravens could surprise.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That was under Roman. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

They have a new OC....

I guess we will wait and see but it doesn't sound much different than under Roman.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/five-clues-what-todd-monken-offense-will-look-like

1.  Creating space and attacking all areas of the field

2. no-huddle

3. Using TE to create mismatches

4. Strong Run Game

5. Using QB mobility to stress defense

I feel like 3/5th(3-5) of these have been what they have been doing for a while and the others (1-2) are pretty much common place for NFL football.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

Two superstar mercenaries over the age of 30 coming off knee injuries signing with teams trying to make a Super Bowl push doesn’t sound close?  

What are you talking about?  OBJ hasn't been a superstar in at least 4 years (some would say 7).  And is coming off 2 ACLs.  Von Miller was still a superstar and wasn't coming off an ACL when the Bills signed him.  Not sure where you're getting this.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

What are you talking about?  OBJ hasn't been a superstar in at least 4 years (some would say 7).  And is coming off 2 ACLs.  Von Miller was still a superstar and wasn't coming off an ACL when the Bills signed him.  Not sure where you're getting this.

Von was one year removed from missing an entire season due to a leg injury and was 33 years old.  Nobody should be shocked if OBJ gets hurt this season just as nobody should have been shocked that Von got hurt last year. That is the risk you take when you make these types of signings and yes, they’re very similar in nature.  You’re hoping to get a year or two of greatness out of them before they decline.  

I don’t know that either of them were desperate moves, but they’re both absolutely gambles.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

For sure, I am just surprised Baltimore is paying him 18 mil for 1 year 

I'm pretty sure the Ravens were the only team offering that much. OBJ is getting paid. 

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

1 year up to 18 million haha

I didn't think OBJ would get that much being he's older and coming off a major injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

Von was one year removed from missing an entire season due to a leg injury and was 33 years old.  Nobody should be shocked if OBJ gets hurt this season just as nobody should have been shocked that Von got hurt last year. That is the risk you take when you make these types of signings and yes, they’re very similar in nature.  You’re hoping to get a year or two of greatness out of them before they decline.  

I don’t know that either of them were desperate moves, but they’re both absolutely gambles.

The difference is Miller proved to be back to an elite level after his injury.  OBJ hasn't played at an elite level in 4+ years and didn't play a single down after tearing his ACL (again), so no one knows what to expect from him.  Paying him that much is ridiculous.  Never mind that the Ravens have a disgruntled QB and this is an attempt to placate him.

Ravens will way overpay for Beckham but won't pay for a QB that wins them tons of games in the regular season? I don't get the logic. Ravens are making some serious head scratching decisions.

They have turned this Jackson situation into a giant mess where they are going to have to trade him.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Who's his agent? That guys phone has to be ringing off the hook! If he can get an aging WR diva coming off 2 ACL's that type of payday imagine what he can do with a healthy UFA talent. 

ED OLIVER on line #1.....

Makes me wonder how you feel about Von Miller. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Ravens will way overpay for Beckham but won't pay for a QB that wins them tons of games in the regular season? I don't get the logic. Ravens are making some serious head scratching decisions.

They have turned this Jackson situation into a giant mess where they are going to have to trade him.

They'll pay him.  They just won't give him a fully guaranteed long-term deal. 

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure this is entirely accurate. It takes two to negotiate. 

Lamar is representing himself and that seems extremely problematic. It's just not the way to get a deal done. For Fing sake hire an agent and pay him their 1 to 3 percent. By many reports his asking price has been almost unreasonable. 

The Ravens have publicly always backed keeping Lamar. Behind the scenes who really knows the sticking points and truth of the matter. 

With that said, I believe Lamar shoulders much of the responsibility that a deal hasn't gotten done. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

The difference is Miller proved to be back to an elite level after his injury.  OBJ hasn't played at an elite level in 4+ years and didn't play a single down after tearing his ACL (again), so no one knows what to expect from him.  Paying him that much is ridiculous.  Never mind that the Ravens have a disgruntled QB and this is an attempt to placate him.

They aren’t exact, but they’re very similar.  OBJ wasn’t elite all season, but he was in the 2021 postseason.  Von was good coming back from his injury in 2021, but he was hardly elite.  If you don’t see the similarities, then we just disagree.  In my mind, they were both players where you knew there was a larger than usual risk of injury that had to be weighed against their superstar talent.

56 minutes ago, Billl said:

Was signing Von Miller last year a desperation move, cause this feels a lot like that.

Somewhat similar, I guess, but really not at all that close. 

Both Von vs OBJ and Buffalo’s situation vs Baltimore’s. 

It’s a stretch to try and compare. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The amount of money Beckham got just killed the Hopkins to anywhere rumors IMO.  

I mean, they were all rumors to begin with but Hopkins could at least sign an extension if the team wanted to trade for him and work the payroll.

His best option now is to just be released.

Edited by The Wiz

18 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Well to be fair he only had 1 ACL injury before we signed him.😋

I'm more thinking about this season and going forward. 

The Bills really need Von to be dynamic and dangerous. We saw how Tre came back and wasn't nearly as effective. Not sure that's an accurate measuring stick but it sure brings up concerns. 

Without Miller, the Bills passing attacked couldn't get it done. What kind of Von do the Bills get this upcoming season? It's not like he's 24. 

Not sure it's been mentioned. I couldn't help but think where was Von after his injury? He was supposedly the leader of the defense and a teacher to the younger players. He seemingly disappeared. Out of sight out of mind. Almost as if he checked out. Not on the sidelines not anywhere. That doesn't illustrate leadership to me. I'm pretty sure he was able to at least be a supportive leader on the sidelines. If anyone has any insight I'd like to hear it. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? Just seems bothersome to me. 

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I mean, they were all rumors to begin with but Hopkins could at least sign an extension if the team wanted to trade for him and work the payroll.

His best option now is to just be released.

Well Buff, KC, and most of the other real contenders aren’t able to afford that kind of coin for Hopkins even if he was reliable health wise…..which he isn’t or had no PED issues………which he does.

43 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not sure this is entirely accurate. It takes two to negotiate. 

Lamar is representing himself and that seems extremely problematic. It's just not the way to get a deal done. For Fing sake hire an agent and pay him their 1 to 3 percent. By many reports his asking price has been almost unreasonable. 

The Ravens have publicly always backed keeping Lamar. Behind the scenes who really knows the sticking points and truth of the matter. 

With that said, I believe Lamar shoulders much of the responsibility that a deal hasn't gotten done. 

Most of the reason for having an agent and not doing it yourself is to have the agent act as a buffer from having to hear the team argue why they don't believe you deserve that money and try to minimize some of what you accomplished or explain it away...

No matter how good the intentions are between the two sides, a player hearing this will always have some level of hurt feelings whereas he would not be privy to all the details and things that were said between the team and agent and the agent would soften whatever negative stuff was said plus he would be hearing it secondhand.

This is the biggest issue with players trying to negotiate for themselves. They hear stuff they can never unhear from the team and they are human, it is going to effect their attitude and feelings towards the team in a negative manner.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I guess I don't know how contracts work. How can you give someone a base salary of 1m+ and incentives of 3m and then give them a 13m+ signing bonus? I thought bonus' had to be a percentage of a contract? How can you give someone a bonus that's like 4 times the amount of the actual contract?

Base salaries have a minimum amount based on the player’s number of accrued seasons. That’s the only rule regarding how big or small they can be. OBJ’s salary is exactly the min for a player with the number of years he’s played in the league.

A signing bonus can be any amount. It gets prorated evenly over the course of the player’s contract - up to five seasons. The Ravens are using void years (probably 4) to kick most of OBJ’s cap hit into next season. I believe it’s even possible to kick some into 2025 if they cut him using a post June 1st designation before the years officially void. 

38 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well Buff, KC, and most of the other real contenders aren’t able to afford that kind of coin for Hopkins even if he was reliable health wise…..which he isn’t or had no PED issues………which he does.

All of the contenders would need to "kick the can" as they say with his salary in a trade.

I thought If he was released a good portion of that stayed with AZ.

Depending on when he is cut also.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

All of the contenders would need to "kick the can" as they say with his salary in a trade.

I thought If he was released a good portion of that stayed with AZ.

Depending on when he is cut also.

If he is released any contract is net new.  Arizona takes their own cap hit but the new team has to pay him.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.