Wish they would just sign Klein at lb

They won’t pass over anyone they have graded significantly higher just to fill a hole. So don’t worry about it.

if it’s close then they will fill the hole.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they have an offer out to Klein. His signing also won’t affect the draft.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Before heading into the draft

That way it will protect us at least a little bit if the draft doesn’t fall a certain way

Klein is by no means as good a replacement for Edmunds but would provide some insurance

Then we truly could take the best player available at 27

I agree 💯 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That way it will protect us at least a little bit if the draft doesn’t fall a certain way

Klein is by no means as good a replacement for Edmunds but would provide some insurance

I think it has a lot to do with money and missing out on the 3rd rounder for Edmunds 

Either way,  they definitely have a plan in place.  Even if it's Dodson or Benard. We were 4-0 w Dodson last year 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It depends on what the coaches ask of him. Edmunds could only be asked to do certain things. Perhaps Chicago will say pretty please with millions on top and he’ll do more. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'd rather have Klein than Matakevich. At least Klein can play his position. 

Obviously I wanted Wagner.

Best case scenario they replace the MLB spot in the second round. Worst case they let Bernard play there. 

I mean Benard was a 3rd rounder and didn't they move up for him?  He looked lost out there but I think it was playbook issues more than skill. I'd be fine with him ,Dodson and maybe a day 3 pick battling it out. 

Rather go ol/TE/WR in 1st 2 rounds 

• Like (+1) 1

Unless we make significant changes to the defensive scheme we run -- Klein would be an extreme liability in pass coverage. Going with Klein as our MLB would require more than just putting him into Edmund's former role - he is not a "plug & play" replacement for Tremaine Edmunds.  Although - used in a proper role - Klein can be an asset to our defense. 

Edited by Bulldog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You mean you don't believe Beane that the answer at MLB is on the roster, or McDermott's speech about how Tyrell, Terrel, and Baylon deserve a chance to compete for the starting MLB role?

It's really hard to understand why the Bills drafted Bernard in Round 3 if they didn't believe he could start in some role

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

You mean you don't believe Beane that the answer at MLB is on the roster, or McDermott's speech about how Tyrell, Terrel, and Baylon deserve a chance to compete for the starting MLB role?

That’s coach speak of course he’s going to say something nice about his players

11 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Unless we make significant changes to the defensive scheme we run -- Klein would be an extreme liability in pass coverage. Going with Klein as our MLB would require more than just putting him into Edmund's former role - he is not a "plug & play" replacement for Tremaine Edmunds.  Although - used in a proper role - Klein can be an asset to our defense. 

That may already be happening. The signing of rap is the form of a big nickel they could be putting something together for running downs and passing downs.

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's really hard to understand why the Bills drafted Bernard in Round 3 if they didn't believe he could start in some role

I'm not convinced Beane actually said,or meant " the answer at MLB is on the roster". No way is he limiting himself to those 3. Sure they will compete,but probably against another addition.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s coach speak of course he’s going to say something nice about his players

So, then, what's your explanation of why the Bills drafted Terrel Bernard?

We have 4 linebackers not named Milano on the roster.   Matakevich is 30 and has started no games for the Bills, played less than 100 snaps, I Get It, he's there for ST.

Dodson is just turning 25, he's said he feels he can start in this league (I dunno if I agree).

Matakevich was a 7th round pick of Pittsburgh, Dodson undrafted - prime territory for picking up ST guys.

Bernard was drafted in the 3rd round.  That is NOT a round where a team should be drafting a guy they don't feel can start.   If it's just "coach speak" to let him compete for the starting MLB gig, why was he drafted in the 3rd?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Two seasons ago when he played due to injuries elsewhere, once they figured out how to use him best, he was good.  Just don't ask him to help with coverage, but was good against run. 

That was my impression too.  Once he got situated I thought he played well, and if the choice is sign Klein and draft OL vs having to draft a MLB high, then i'd def take the former

59 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You don’t need to sign him yet, good shot he’ll be there after the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I think it has a lot to do with money and missing out on the 3rd rounder for Edmunds 

Either way,  they definitely have a plan in place.  Even if it's Dodson or Benard. We were 4-0 w Dodson last year 

He was on the team at the end of last year, he wouldn't count against the comp pick formula.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have not broken down the all-22, and I’m sure he’s getting roasted frequently. But Klein has big play ability at low cost.  Which is exactly what you need to load up on offense and win against a top QB in the playoffs when you are looking for 4 stops out 10 drives any way you can get them to win. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't think re-signing Klein is going to be an issue, now or later.  He didn't have a market last year and isn't flying to meet anyone this year.  

yes he did.

there is a good chance the bills bring him back, IMO

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We have 4 linebackers not named Milano on the roster.   Matakevich is 30 and has started no games for the Bills, played less than 100 snaps, I Get It, he's there for ST.

Dodson is just turning 25, he's said he feels he can start in this league (I dunno if I agree).

Matakevich was a 7th round pick of Pittsburgh, Dodson undrafted - prime territory for picking up ST guys.

Bernard was drafted in the 3rd round.  That is NOT a round where a team should be drafting a guy they don't feel can start.   If it's just "coach speak" to let him compete for the starting MLB gig, why was he drafted in the 3rd?

I can’t answer that at least until I see what their plans are for him this year

seems small to me to be a middle

Of course, I would like that to work out. We’ve already spent the capital.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Time to move on I think.  His contract is up, and there's no cap hit.  There are better options, even on our current roster.

-  Terrel Bernard is easily better than Klein I'd say

-  And Dodson = Klein.

Add a linebacker early in the draft and perhaps a post draft cast-off for depth, and we're good.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Klein would be an incredible liability at MLB.  He is a backup outside linebacker at very best at this point in his career. I doubt we sign him back. Dodson and Spector our depth/ST. We will draft a MLB somewhere in round 1-3 to compete with Bernard. Writing is pretty much on the wall here, don't get the clamoring for Klein he is not the answer at MLB under any circumstance.  Don't give me this "he can be out there on running downs" type of thing that is how you get exposed!  Every down is a passing down in today's NFL.  Would rather play mostly dime base with Rapp as the "dimebacker"

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I also wonder if we might be fine with two undersized linebackers.  I'm not ruling out McDermott thinking a year 2 Bernard is the answer. 

Look at the linebackers coming out of college... there's a ton of converted Safety types and some 3-4 run stuffers.  

Says a lot when there's only two consensus Top 100 pick guys that can play the traditional MLB role coming out of college this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I have not broken down the all-22, and I’m sure he’s getting roasted frequently. But Klein has big play ability at low cost.  Which is exactly what you need to load up on offense and win against a top QB in the playoffs when you are looking for 4 stops out 10 drives any way you can get them to win. 

Sorry but this is just sounds like wishful thinking to me. If this was the case, he a) wouldn’t be low cost and b) would already be signed. My guess is he can be signed at any point, including going into the season, and if not someone just like him can/will be found. 

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Bernard was insurance for Milano. A depth piece. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The proper statement is bpa at premium position of need.  I understand you would like the scope of needs reduced (although I don't know how much Klein affects that).  So we aren't going to take a great kicker (not premium position), or QB (no need), or RB (not premium position).

So even with Klein on board the FO will not select your man, B Robinson.  He's an RB - our FA RB Singletary went for $3M while our FA LB went for over $15M- you do the math.

14 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

I'm not convinced Beane actually said,or meant " the answer at MLB is on the roster". No way is he limiting himself to those 3. Sure they will compete,but probably against another addition.

Well, being Beane, he did use qualifiers, and sure, I would expect another addition.  But I don't think it's a sure bet that they're going to go LB in the 1st or 2nd round**

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brandon-beane-want-to-be-competitive-every-single-year

3:29 in, listen for your self

"Losing Tremaine and looking at that MLB position, is there more of an emphasis on looking at that position in the draft, or is it going to be more of an internal competition or bring in someone from FA?"

"You know, sometimes your answer is on the roster...Tyrell, getting Dodson back on a 1 year, him, obviously we had the two draft picks last year in Bernard and Spector, they've been in our program a year, obviously they're going to be a lot more prepared for the pro game and our defensive system, it's a competition and we'll continue to look, whether that's cap casualties, free agencies, if there's a player in the draft.  It'll be competition, we're not going to state now or on one month or two months this one's the starter, they're all going to get a chance to compete and best man wins."

So those are the tea leaves, read them as you will.  I don't think he was saying at all "we are limiting ourselves to those three" (in fact I'd be shocked if they didn't eventually sign a guy or draft another guy), but if it's a true "best man wins" situation, that doesn't usually align with a 1st or 2nd round pick - if a team uses heavy draft resources on a player, he's really expected to start.  Tre Edmunds played 100% of the snaps from Game 1 his rookie year.

Or, Beane could be doing the "how do you tell a GM is lying pre-draft?  His lips move..." thing and so could McDermott.  But it's a bit of a dangerous game, to tell players on the roster that there will be open competition, if you then bring in a guy who by draft slot or salary is obviously heavily favored to take the job.

Then, of course, there was the CF where the Bills had "QB competition" in camp 2018, resulting in AJ McCarron being traded, Peterman given the job, no vet on the roster, and Allen starting halfway through Game 1 after being denied starter reps in preseason practice and games.  That was ugly.

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Another thought: Rapp signing probably eliminates the need for a vet LB. I believe in “likely” passing situations you’ll see our inexperienced LB come off the field and Bills implement 3 safeties along with 3 corners. 

and get our ass run all over against teams like Miami and New York with their combination of running backs? nah

"43 is the mike?" no.

32 minutes ago, boyst said:

yes he did.

there is a good chance the bills bring him back, IMO

Yes, he technically signed, but was easy enough to get back.  I'll amend to say he didn't have a strong market nor did the team care to keep him.

19 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Time to move on I think.  His contract is up, and there's no cap hit.  There are better options, even on our current roster.

-  Terrel Bernard is easily better than Klein I'd say

-  And Dodson = Klein.

Add a linebacker early in the draft and perhaps a post draft cast-off for depth, and we're good.

Terrel Bernard has superior physical skills but Man! did he look "lost in space" in that game he started for Milano last season, and when he did get to the right place at the right time, I have visions of him getting trucked 5 yards on every tackle.

Dodson physically has the edge over Klein, but Klein has it all upstairs over both Dodson and Bernard.  Hyde calls him "Coach Klein" for a reason - he's lost a step or two physically where he never was "all that", but he's great at diagnosing the play and figuring out where everyone ought to be.

I'm pretty sure they typically keep 6 LB on the 53 man roster.  Milano, Bernard, Dodson, Matakevich, Spector is 5.  Spector, unless he's improved markedly, is a candidate for PS as he played limited ST snaps early in the season and was inactive every game from week 11 on. 

So they probably have room on the roster for a draft pick AND Klein or another savvy vet FA.

I see value in adding Klein as a vet in the room teaching the young guys how to prepare.  In actual playing time, it's a very young room short of Milano.  It would be good to avoid a situation like we had in the QB room in 2018 where it was Allen and Peterdude - no vet who could help interpret film and teach the guys how it's done.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The proper statement is bpa at premium position of need.  I understand you would like the scope of needs reduced (although I don't know how much Klein affects that).  So we aren't going to take a great kicker (not premium position), or QB (no need), or RB (not premium position).

So even with Klein on board the FO will not select your man, B Robinson.  He's an RB - our FA RB Singletary went for $3M while our FA LB went for over $15M- you do the math.

To be clear, I don’t think Robinson is going to be there at 27 I would rather see an offensive lineman

If Klein is someone they'd consider, best to sign him now to a contract deserving of a McD defensive player.  Perhaps 1 year and 3M because contract negotiations might get tight for a player with little to no market.  And, he can play special teams.  It's a win-win.  

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

People talk about Edmunds like he was great in pass coverage.  How many interceptions did he ever have?  He was decent covering RB's in the short zones out of the backfield.  But usually was a step or two behind any receiver running down the field.  Basically he looked lost beyond 10 yards down the field.  The Bears so overpaid for Edmunds.  Was there even a market for him that they would even consider paying him $18 million per year?  I wonder if any other teams were interested.  (probably not at that price.)  Obviously money was Tremaine Edmunds main goal.  Because I could not think of many franchises I would less want to play for then the Bears.  

Klein is more of an old school LB.  Good as a blitzer, and tough against the run.  Smart guy, who is not out of position much.  Not an amazing athlete at this point.  But can still play the game.  

• Agree 2

Klien is much different of a LB than Edmunds but he has always been reliable & good against the run i think that would be a good signing if they did bring him back i just hope if they do wait till after the draft that he is still there .

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.