Who Will Be Next Year's Scapegoat?

ArtVandalay

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

I hate when folks say this.  The Bills traded a first for a true #1. 

Mahomes just won a Superbowl without a "1st round player."

Not trying to be that guy but that’s not true. Off the top of my head, Toney, CEH and Moore were all 1st rounders.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

This post is pretty ridiculous. If course, I don't speak for the team.

Not sure what planet you are living on?  You don't think the goal of the Bills team the last two years wasn't going to the Super Bowl and winning it? Really? Surely, you can't be that foolish to perpetrate that position.

Let me copy Beane's press conference comments after losing to KC. The infamous 13 second game.

Beane was brutally honest about one thing. Just because you’re one game away from the Super Bowl, it doesn’t mean you are a “Super Bowl team.” While that might be pretty strong of a statement, there’s is no debating it: That is the truth.

“I still think we need to be very honest with where we’re at. We’re still not a Super Bowl team. There’s one team happy at the end of the year. We made a great step last year and another step this year, but we still have to go further. The goal here is to win that game [the Super Bowl], and until we get in that game to compete for it, we can’t win it,”

I'm just responding to your comment that you knew what their goal was the past three years.  While I do agree with you the past two season their goal very likely was the SB, not so sure 3 years ago.  That would have been a pretty big jump.  And this past year while I certainly do think the SB was their goal in Sept and Oct, by  the end of the seasons between the injuries, the Hamlin situation, blizzards, Kim, wonder if they still flt that way.  Publicly and to the team itself would they state that, no.  But privately did Beane in particular feel that way deep down.  That their chance to win wasn't that high.

• Disagree 1

21 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Last year the Special Teams Coordinator was the scapegoat. 

This year it was the Defensive Coordinator. 

Who will be McDermott's scapegoat next year? On to Offensive Coordinator? He already did that previously when he fired Dennison, can always go back there again and fire Dorsey I guess...

... walls are closing in ...

Dude, this is just stupid. You do realize that what you have done there, in that post, is precisely the scapegoating that you're whining about, right?

Yeah, there will be a scapegoat. There absolutely always is.

But it isn't McDermott who needs one. It's the folks like you on the boards who need someone to blame. Clearly you would like the scapegoat to be McDermott.

But scapegoating is only a sign of poor thinking. It's fans - the ones who don't get it - eager to grab the pitchforks and head for the castle screaming for the head of Edmunds or Oliver or Frazier or McDermott, whoever today's patsy is that you've decided on with about a half second's thought.

Waaaah. Waaaah. It's McDermott's fault!! Waaaah. Waaaah.

Jeez.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Honest critique is not B wording, it is merely talking about what didn’t go as anticipated, and discussing what might make things better going forward, adults can do that sort of thing and not see the situation as either black or white, but more accurately many shades of grey…, now get your thoughts out of the gutter…,

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry that you feel this is harsh but i don't feel anything i said was anything that i haven't seen from Bills fans over the years & if using the B word hurt your feeling I will apologize to you because it sounds as if you are a little sensitive to some people using a cuss word & because that's what true adults do today correct ?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not trying to be that guy but that’s not true. Off the top of my head, Toney, CEH and Moore were all 1st rounders.

Your head is wrong. CEH was inactive. Moore was a second rounder.

Toney was a first. So Mahomes had Toney. Allen has had Benjamin. By this extremely silly criteria.

59 minutes ago, T master said:

Sorry that you feel this is harsh but i don't feel anything i said was anything that i haven't seen from Bills fans over the years & if using the B word hurt your feeling I will apologize to you because it sounds as if you are a little sensitive to some people using a cuss word & because that's what true adults do today correct ?

Your making me laugh, why so absolute in your thought process?  

I’m a former Marine, cuss words don’t faze me, lol 😁👍

GO BILLS!!!

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Your head is wrong. CEH was inactive. Moore was a second rounder.

Toney was a first. So Mahomes had Toney. Allen has had Benjamin. By this extremely silly criteria.

You’re right on Moore (I really thought that he went at the end of round 1). Either way, Mahomes has 2 1st round skill players not zero offensive first rounders as you said. It’s not a ton, but it isn’t none. Josh Allen has ONLY played with Kelvin Benjamin as a 1st. That’s not some narrative. It is a fact.

The Bills haven’t taken ANY swings at the top offensive talents entering the draft since Allen came into the league. Since the Allen pick the Bills have drafted 8 players in the 1st 2 rounds (Edmunds, Oliver, Ford, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Elam, Cook). That’s not enough. Basham over Humphrey jumps out as they used the previous 2, top 2 round selections on DEs!! 

The Bengals drafted Burrow at 1. They then used the 1st pick of the 2nd round on Higgins. They came back the next year and used a top 5 pick on Chase & a 2nd round pick on Jackson Carmen. They still need to build the line but they gave him 2 elite rookie receivers and went to the Super Bowl & an AFC Championship since.

The Bills need to give Josh, elite, cost-controlled help. Even if they are wrong, like they were with Ford, they still need to take the swings. An OL & WR in the first 2 rounds is ideal. 

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You’re right on Moore (I really thought that he went at the end of round 1). Either way, Mahomes has 2 1st round skill players not zero offensive first rounders as you said. It’s not a ton, but it isn’t none. Josh Allen has ONLY played with Kelvin Benjamin as a 1st. That’s not some narrative. It is a fact.

The Bills haven’t taken ANY swings at the top offensive talents entering the draft since Allen came into the league. Since the Allen pick the Bills have drafted 8 players in the 1st 2 rounds (Edmunds, Oliver, Ford, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Elam, Cook). That’s not enough. Basham over Humphrey jumps out as they used the previous 2, top 2 round selections on DEs!! 

The Bengals drafted Burrow at 1. They then used the 1st pick of the 2nd round on Higgins. They came back the next year and used a top 5 pick on Chase & a 2nd round pick on Jackson Carmen. They still need to build the line but they gave him 2 elite rookie receivers and went to the Super Bowl & an AFC Championship since.

The Bills need to give Josh, elite, cost-controlled help. Even if they are wrong, like they were with Ford, they still need to take the swings. An OL & WR in the first 2 rounds is ideal. 

The point he makes though that it is not as if KC has been stacking great weapons for Mahomes with premium picks is right. 

He inherited two elite weapons, one remains, and they nailed their offensive line rebuild with one high end FA, one big asset trade, a day 2 pick and a day 3 gamble on a day 2 talent with injury flags. 

Not that I disagree with you. The Bills absolutely have to priortise improvements on the offense. I was on this particular bus in the run up to FA and the draft last year too and I said coming out of it that a geriatric guard, a FA draft bust Tight End, a 2nd round change of pace back and a 5th round rookie receiver wasn't enough. So it proved. 

Meanwhile there were four more moderate to huge contracts on FA dlinemen and a pick on a 3rd round linebacker I had never even heard of (not saying I am the authority, being slightly facetious). As well as their 1st rounder spent on a raw, though high ceiling, corner. 

I will repeat my demands from last offseason - a legit outside receiver option to at worst be a viable backup to Gabe and Stef, ideally to compete for the #2 job; a vet guard that isn't on his last legs; some kind of legit TE2 option. That should be the minimum requirement. If we sign ANOTHER defensive tackle Free Agent to a decent contract I am bringing my garden gnome to Buffalo!

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The point he makes though that it is not as if KC has been stacking great weapons for Mahomes with premium picks is right. 

He inherited two elite weapons, one remains, and they nailed their offensive line rebuild with one high end FA, one big asset trade, a day 2 pick and a day 3 gamble on a day 2 talent with injury flags. 

Not that I disagree with you. The Bills absolutely have to priortise improvements on the offense. I was on this particular bus in the run up to FA and the draft last year too and I said coming out of it that a geriatric guard, a FA draft bust Tight End, a 2nd round change of pace back and a 5th round rookie receiver wasn't enough. So it proved. 

Meanwhile there were four more moderate to huge contracts on FA dlinemen and a pick on a 3rd round linebacker I had never even heard of (not saying I am the authority, being slightly facetious). As well as their 1st rounder spent on a raw, though high ceiling, corner. 

I will repeat my demands from last offseason - a legit outside receiver option to at worst be a viable backup to Gabe and Stef, ideally to compete for the #2 job; a vet guard that isn't on his last legs; some kind of legit TE2 option. That should be the minimum requirement. If we sign ANOTHER defensive tackle Free Agent to a decent contract I am bringing my garden gnome to Buffalo!

It is a bigger issue. If you use the Mahomes example, they made the Brown trade. In terms of draft value it was maybe about the equivalent of the 40th-45th pick. It’s somewhere in that range. They used a 2nd on Humphrey. They used a 2nd on Sky Moore. They used a 1st on CEH. They signed Thuney to an $80M deal. They lost Tyreek (but got 5 picks including a 1&2 for him). They turned around and brought in Ju-Ju and MVS. They traded for Toney who wasn’t properly used in NY. It doesn’t mean that every move was right but they are using prime assets and big money to build that offense.

The Bills are not. The Bills traded a 1 for Diggs. The Bills brought in 2 WRs off the streets. They took a “buy-low” shot on Crowder. They drafted a rotational RB in round 2 and signed a washed guard. I guess that the Morse signing would kind of qualify as “investing post-Josh pick.” It just isn’t nearly enough. KC hasn’t loaded up around Mahomes but still have used significantly more $ and prime assets than the Bills. If you look at a team like Philly, their asset allocation is that x 100. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is a bigger issue. If you use the Mahomes example, they made the Brown trade. In terms of draft value it was maybe about the equivalent of the 40th-45th pick. It’s somewhere in that range. They used a 2nd on Humphrey. They used a 2nd on Sky Moore. They used a 1st on CEH. They signed Thuney to an $80M deal. They lost Tyreek (but got 5 picks including a 1&2 for him). They turned around and brought in Ju-Ju and MVS. They traded for Toney who wasn’t properly used in NY. It doesn’t mean that every move was right but they are using prime assets and big money to build that offense.

The Bills are not. The Bills traded a 1 for Diggs. The Bills brought in 2 WRs off the streets. They took a “buy-low” shot on Crowder. They drafted a rotational RB in round 2 and signed a washed guard. I guess that the Morse signing would kind of qualify as “investing post-Josh pick.” It just isn’t nearly enough. KC hasn’t loaded up around Mahomes but still have used significantly more $ and prime assets than the Bills. If you look at a team like Philly, their asset allocation is that x 100. 

I don't disagree. But the point @FireChans was making about 1st round picks is still right. 

On 2/28/2023 at 9:42 PM, ArtVandalay said:

Last year the Special Teams Coordinator was the scapegoat. 

This year it was the Defensive Coordinator. 

Who will be McDermott's scapegoat next year? On to Offensive Coordinator? He already did that previously when he fired Dennison, can always go back there again and fire Dorsey I guess...

... walls are closing in ...

I don't worry about next year or even think about it for that matter. what is it like to think so far ahead and make prophetic claims on what will happen?

me thinks you just don't like McD and believe ridding of coaches is just to cover his ass. he is covering his ass and maybe he believes such changes are for the teams betterment. personally I'm not ready to give up on McD and I am looking forward to seeing how this next season goes with Dorsey in his second year and a defense without Frazier. 

I'm sure though you will likely disagree with my take.

I'm not as prophetic about what the future holds but if the walls were/are closing in, it's on Beane, he has made some questionable moves along the way. he is also stating it'll be two years before they can get out of cap hell before having any breathing room to be able to make any big moves. meanwhile, not only are there demanding needs on the offense, WR and OL in particular but the defense as well still has and will have some holes to fill. he brought them close, just not close enough and if he is any kind of wizard he'll need to dig deep in to his bag of tricks to get them not only close, but over the top. all the while JA, whom by far was his greatest move, career is passing by. 

tough road ahead, time will tell.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree. But the point @FireChans was making about 1st round picks is still right. 

So 2 to zero. It was not zero as claimed. If Josh Allen had 2 other firsts on offense I wouldn’t think it was enough. It’s still 2 more than now and a start. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

14 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I guess some of us have higher expectations than you.

Exactly. Winning the division and making the playoffs is great but the bar has been raised. McDermott has to deliver a Super Bowl championship especially with a QB as good as Allen. Otherwise, he will be known as this generations Marty Schottenheimer/Marvin Lewis. We haven't even made the Super Bowl yet with Allen much less win one.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, T master said:

Unfortunately, yeah, that's what people do today.

They passively aggressively insult the other person while pretending to apologize while actually not doing so.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills traded a first for Stefon Diggs. That’s also a fact. you are stuck on the Kelvin Benjamin silliness for no reason.

Do you know why I hated Beanes’ EOY presser? Because he said he didn’t want to suck so bad to be in a position to draft a Jamar Chase. Do you know why that’s so funny? Because he did, he just missed on the pick.

The Bills drafted Josh, Edmunds, Oliver, Ford in their sucky years high. The Bengals drafted Burrow, Higgins, Chase, Carman.

WE MISSED ON OUR PICKS. THEY DIDN’T.

No one cares about “not getting offensive talent high” if Oliver or Edmunds or Ford live up to their draft status. They just didn’t. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Dude I can break it down again if you want. 

KC’s allocation is more than the Bills offensively but not but much. They just hit on their players and we didn’t. Creed Humphrey wasn’t Cody Ford. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The Bills traded a first for Stefon Diggs. That’s also a fact. you are stuck on the Kelvin Benjamin silliness for no reason.

Do you know why I hated Beanes’ EOY presser? Because he said he didn’t want to suck so bad to be in a position to draft a Jamar Chase. Do you know why that’s so funny? Because he did, he just missed on the pick.

The Bills drafted Josh, Edmunds, Oliver, Ford in their sucky years high. The Bengals drafted Burrow, Higgins, Chase, Carman.

WE MISSED ON OUR PICKS. THEY DIDN’T.

No one cares about “not getting offensive talent high” if Oliver or Edmunds or Ford live up to their draft status. They just didn’t. 

Um, no. Beane's right and you're wrong. Ja'Marr chase was obtained with a #5 pick, and we've never had one that high under Beane / McDermott. Even when we traded way back in the first round one year to get a good pick the next year we still didn't manage to get up to #5, only to #7. 

And what we did with the #7 was pretty spectacular. Anyone who thinks the Josh Allen pick, our highest, was a miss is several light years away from being able to even smell a clue, much less actually get one.

The Bengals had #5 for Chase and #1 for Burrow, without trading up. The Bill had to trade up for Allen, Edmunds and (unfortunately) Ford and still didn't ever get as high as either of the two natural picks for Chase or Burrow.

And yeah, you can make things look as they are not if you only look at the other teams best picks and several of your team's worst. It doesn't show anything about the Bills, though, only what you are desperate to show so you only look at limited pre-selected facts.

The year they got Burrow and Higgins they had #1 and #33 and so on, while we had #54 and #86 as our two highest picks. You can argue that they also got Diggs for the 22nd pick, but though true, it doesn't support your argument about better use of picks. That was terrific use of the pick, but it's not surprising that strictly in terms of draft they did better than us with the #1 and #33 than we did with the #54 and #86.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no. Beane's right and you're wrong. Ja'Marr chase was obtained with a #5 pick, and we've never had one that high under Beane / McDermott. Even when we traded way back in the first round one year to get a good pick the next year we still didn't manage to get up to #5, only to #7. 

And what we did with the #7 was pretty spectacular. Anyone who thinks the Josh Allen pick, our highest, was a miss is several light years away from being able to even smell a clue, much less actually get one.

The Bengals had #5 for Chase and #1 for Burrow, without trading up. The Bill had to trade up for Allen, Edmunds and (unfortunately) Ford and still didn't ever get as high as either of the two natural picks for Chase or Burrow.

And yeah, you can make things look as they are not if you only look at the other teams best picks and several of your team's worst. It doesn't show anything about the Bills, though, only what you are desperate to show so you only look at limited pre-selected facts.

The year they got Burrow and Higgins they had #1 and #33 and so on, while we had #54 and #86 as our two highest picks. You can argue that they also got Diggs for the 22nd pick, but though true, it doesn't support your argument about better use of picks. That was terrific use of the pick, but it's not surprising that strictly in terms of draft they did better than us with the #1 and #33 than we did with the #54 and #86.

We drafted Ed Oliver #9 and he was a miss. if you want to quibble that Beane needed a top 5 pick instead of top 9 to get an impact star player, go for it.

What you can't do, is have 4 picks in the top 38 (3 in the top 16) and hit on only one of them. 

Beane's wrong. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:26 AM, Augie said:

I didn’t do that at all. Pay attention. I was talking about last season, while you refer to 4 seasons where we didn’t win the Super Bowl. Guess what! Only one team can win the SB each year.

I can live with a 13-3 season because I’m a grown up. 

Your “defensive” head coach shouldn’t have his defense embarrassed in all 4 games to the extent they did. It’s called accountability you know something a grown up understands. 

14 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Your “defensive” head coach shouldn’t have his defense embarrassed in all 4 games to the extent they did. It’s called accountability you know something a grown up understands. 

Your way of thinking would mean Belichick would never be a HC after the Browns, or Andy Reid is just a good OC. Did they need more of your “accountability”?  

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The biggest scapegoat will be Josn Allen, who has managed just, 24, 36 and 10 points in his last 3 playoff losses. That’s a 22.3 point per game average on a team that averages around 28+ points in the regular season. 

Do you understand what happens to the scape goat? 

Do you know who Josh Allen is? 

Nothing else you say matters there. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Do you understand what happens to the scape goat? 

Do you know who Josh Allen is? 

Nothing else you say matters there. 

He would be the biggest scapegoat. Not sure he will underwhelm, but it’s a possibility if past is prologue. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

He would be the biggest scapegoat. Not sure he will underwhelm, but it’s a possibility if past is prologue. 

He may be the biggest overachiever in the entire NFL. He certainly has flaws, but he does a lot despite generally mediocre at best surroundings. 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:15 PM, Augie said:

I’m not blurriesed, but I like 13-3 seasons, with two freaky losses.    😋

Me too!

Do you like disappointing playoff losses too? 

A Bills defense that can't stop a good quality playoff offense? 

A coaching staff that blows playoff games and clearly gets out coached? 

Whats the ultimate goal of the team Augie? Think macro not micro 

23 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Unfortunately, yeah, that's what people do today.

They passively aggressively insult the other person while pretending to apologize while actually not doing so.

Not me. Im not timid about calling out foolish posts. Including yours Mr. Thurman. Great thing is I know I get the same back in return. 

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Me too!

Do you like disappointing playoff losses too? 

A Bills defense that can't stop a good quality playoff offense? 

A coaching staff that blows playoff games and clearly gets out coached? 

Whats the ultimate goal of the team Augie? Think macro not micro 

Not me. Im not timid about calling out foolish posts. Including yours Mr. Thurman. Great thing is I know I get the same back in return. 

The team’s goal is to win. My goal is to be entertained. I’ve been pretty successful. I hope to get a few more weeks of entertainment next season. It’s pretty simple, really. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Augie said:

The team’s goal is to win. My goal is to be entertained. I’ve been pretty successful. I hope to get a few more weeks of entertainment next season. It’s pretty simple, really. 

Of course we want to be entertained. That is a pretty low standard. 

The team goal of the players, coaches, and management certainly isn't to entertain fans. It's a by product of winning. 

The goal is winning the Super bowl. First, let's try to get there. 

While, your feelings are yours, I doubt most Bills fans are truly satisfied with being entertained. Weak response!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course we want to be entertained. That is a pretty low standard. 

The team goal of the players, coaches, and management certainly isn't to entertain fans. It's a by product of winning. 

The goal is winning the Super bowl. First, let's try to get there. 

While, your feelings are yours, I doubt most Bills fans are truly satisfied with being entertained. Weak response!

Weak response? Not at all, but I certainly don’t leave that to you to judge. The team has their goals (winning, which I clearly stated, but maybe not clearly enough for you), and we are not actually part of the team. A SB would be very entertaining. What you or I think doesn’t matter to the team, and at least I know that. If you think your ridiculously high standards make you a better fan, you are again mistaken. 

Yes, everybody wants to win the Super Bowl. Every year. But that’s not how it works. What do you do if your kid is top 5 in their class, but not valedictorian? I can live with that, and I’d be proud. At least I might have some nominal impact on my child, while we have no impact as “fans” living on the outside. 

Having goals in life is important, but pointless if you have zero impact on the outcome. A SB victory may be an awesome wish, but since you have no control over the outcome, it’s a senseless “goal”. 

This isn’t worth it. Have a nice life. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.